Interesting Cache Needed For Newspaper Article

windlove

Hello,

I'm a photographer for the Times newspaper in London and discovered geocaching a couple of weeks ago. I am looking for a good multi cache to try with a writer that we can write up for a feature in the T2 section of the Times newspaper.

I am slowly browsing through the hundereds on this site but would appreciate some help in choosing 2 or 3 to try for this article. Unfortunately due to deadline demands we have to do this tomorrow (Tues 10th Dec).

We are in London but would ideally like a rural cache within about 2 hours drive from London. Somthing that would make an interesting read, and nice pictures too, and maybe a couple of others to try in the area if we fail the first one! I tried one in Highgate Cemetry with my girlfriend, found all the clues but didn't have enough light to find the final cache, but at least I know the GPS unit is working OK.

If anyone has suggestions for an interesting cache to try and could post tonight, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Paul

There's a fair few around Herts/Bucks. If you want something close to the M25/M40 how about GCGWG7 M25? what...M 25? by Pharisee. A shortish multi cache with a nice twist, nearby is GCDF3D Twitchers (I have to admit is one of mine) which is a nice walk and a pretty location.

Once you are in this area there are loads more to choose from. I wish I could help you but unfortunately I'm otherwise engaged tomorrow.

Hope this helps. Peter

The article will be the cover story for the T2 section of the Times this Monday (15th Dec). Thanks to everyone for your help, we had a lot of fun, and I'm hooked and allready planning my next few caches.

I've put a couple of pictures from the article on the cache pages as they don't often put them on the web site. Means you'll all have to go and buy the paper anyway. One's of Damian (writer) from Dan Wilson's 'Heritage & Horror' which we ended up doing in the dark which was quite appropriate. The others of what we left in Pharisee's 'M25... what M25?'.

M25 picture

Damian at Heritage & Horror

Thanks again,

Paul

Edited by windlove

Just read the two page spread in the T2 section of today's Times.

All I can say is well done Windlove for capturing the essence of geocaching without resorting to the cheap jibes we've all seen before. A well written article. I think you've done a great service to our "sport" and for that I for one thank you.

I hope the lazier geocachers amongst us :D don't use the clues you printed to help them find the caches mentioned :D:D

Nice quotes from Pharisee and Dan as well.

The only shame is that Saddam went and got himself captured and pushed it off the front page of the section. Mind you when I first say it I thought "my God, old Lost in Space has got his mugshot in the Times" :D:D:D

Nice one Damien.

I agree with Hornet totally on this one. The article was not poking fun at the hobby and I think that one of the reasons was that they went out and did it instead of stage managing a cache for the article.

We can all try to explain our reasons why we cache but they now know because they got cold and tired and went home with a sense of smug satisfaction after the day out.

I suppose that Pharisee will be turning up for our Grockles grand day out on Saturday wearing sunglasses and carrying a set of signed 6x4's now that he is a celeb :D

Peter, Thanks for scanning that in. I am in Humberside today where this edition did not have the article in. Thought it might get bumped after hearing about Saddam.

Glad everyone seems to be happy with it. Thanks again everyone. Now, I'm sure theres some travel bugs up here somewhere.... :D

Paul

That's one really good article and a fun read too.

It's the first article I've seen that I feel represents our activity accurately and fairly. I'd be happy to show that piece to anyone who enquired of me, "What's that geowhatsit stuff about, then?". It explains it far better than I could.

Many, many thanks, Paul (Windlove). Responsible, informative journalism and entertaining too! :D

Stu and Sarah - I've done another one today, will take a TB from Hull back to London. I will continue to geocache, dragging my girlfriend, friends, sister and anyone else along too. It's one of those great moments as a photographer that reminds you what a great job it is, being paid to do somthing so fun you'd be doing it anyway :D Thinking about all you office bound folks, sorry.

Anyway, it was Damian's writing skill that made it such an interesting article, so if you have any ideas for future, I'm sure he'd love to know.

Well, I can only agree with what everyone else has said: what a pleasant and well-balanced article it was. So much better than the many "gee wiz" type of thing we've seen elsewhere. Heck, it almost made us sound "normal"!!!!

And how amazingly ironic that Paul chose to put Iraqi banknotes into the cache! He couldn't have chosen anything better if had tried!

Paul: I hope you can come down to Hampshire at the end of Jan, for our late Xmas social! Mind you, not sure if the pub will take that strange money you seem to carry around :-)

Paul Blitz

Incidentally.... bookings for personal appearances will now be handled by my agent. Fees are negotiable but those offering most beer will get priority :D:DB)B)

Right: I got 50p and half a pint of Theakstons Old Peculiar says you gotta sing "Jingle Bells" at the top of your voice with one trouser leg rolled up and your silly hat on backwards whilst tap-dancing at the Sunnyvale Twilight Rest Home For The Elderly's Annual Christmas Do on Saturday afternoon.

Same every year, eh John? It's no use: they still won't let you out! :D:D