How Many Posts Does It Take..

Eric K

HAR DEE HAR HAR HAR!!!!! Flood control? Mostly it's a series of dikes and ditches to keep water from coming into places you don't want it, but here it's a timer system designed to keep hackers from launching scroll attacks (what we used to call them in chat, but don't know what they're called in forums), or posting too many replies too quickly and overloading the server.

HAR DEE HAR HAR HAR!!!!! Flood control? Mostly it's a series of dikes and ditches to keep water from coming into places you don't want it, but here it's a timer system designed to keep hackers from launching scroll attacks (what we used to call them in chat, but don't know what they're called in forums), or posting too many replies too quickly and overloading the server.

It would make a lot more sense to install a pipeline from the Missouri and Mississippi rivers to the Colorado and Rio Grande. Whenever there's a flood in the midwest, the excess water could be pumped out west to help stave off the drought.

What, that's not what Pan meant by flood control? :(

I can't believe my "seal" was broken by GPSaxaphone. TWICE!

I feel so used.

Not twelve.

(FYI: As long as you put "Not X" at the end of your post, where X is equal to the number of responses above yours, you can pretty much write whatever you want in this topic AND be "on topic." That is, of course, until some wiseguy forum moderator steps in and answers our questions.)

(FYI: As long as you put "Not X" at the end of your post, where X is equal to the number of responses above yours, you can pretty much write whatever you want in this topic AND be "on topic." That is, of course, until some wiseguy forum moderator steps in and answers our questions.)

That only works if someone doesn't respond while you're typing. Otherwise, I'd say not 16... :(

Well it doesn't appear to be 15. I think it may be if a topic gets to have more than one page. I noticed all the 'hot' envelopes are on at least their second page of posts.

Is hot determined by numbers alone?? or is how quickly replies come in factored as well?? :(

And while we're at it, what does the little dot in the middle of the envelope icon mean?

Not nine.

The dot indicates a thread that you have posted to.

If that was the case, I would see lots more dots on envelopes. It really means that you were the last one to post on a particular thread.

Doesn't that mean when someone replies the dot would disappear? (I didn't think that was happening....)

And while we're at it, what does the little dot in the middle of the envelope icon mean?

Not nine.

The dot indicates a thread that you have posted to.

If that was the case, I would see lots more dots on envelopes. It really means that you were the last one to post on a particular thread.

No, I'm pretty sure that's not correct. The dot indicates a thread you've posted to. I can go to the thread list and see dotted threads, and I can also see that I'm not the last poster on them.

I know this is fun, but I'm going to spoil it and tell you that the number is 50. :(

:D Elias

I disagree with your assertion that answering our question is "spoiling" the fun. Furthermore, as it saved me from another 25 posts, I thank you for the answer.

Now, can you clear up the "dot" controversy?

It's fifty. Twenty-four to go.

I had a dot on an thread that I hadn't read for months. There have been plenty of replys since then. What gives?

What gives is that your theory is wrong.

The dot indicates that you replied to a thread, not that you were the last poster.