Must All Caches Be In Two Languages!?

hedberg

I noticed that there was a note from our approver on the new caches that showed up today, asking everybody to write the cachetext in Swedish also, not only English.

Is that really necessary?

The cache pages will be very long in a lot of cases, so if you want to print the cache page, you will need more papers. Also if you are a premium member and request Pocket Queries, then the E-book will be VERY BIG...

Almost all the caches in Sweden today are in either Swedish or English. If they should be in both languages, then the textfile will be almost double the size it are right now?

Has there been complains about the cache texts in only English or why has this change started?

Just curious...

:ph34r: Well, IMHO, if I had to provide text for every language spoken here in the good ol' US, we'd fill up a server pretty quickly. English, Spanish, Tagalogue, and Vietnamese are very common in this area. Am I gonna lay out a cache page text with all of those? Not on your life. The whole idea seems ridiculous to me.

My message was not a complain to our approver that are doing a fine job... I'm just curious about the change? When Tahu Nuva took over the role as an approver he did ask people to write cache pages in English, not just in Swedish. Now it seems like he want us to write in Swedish (with English version also)...

Shall we not write in the other official language in Sweden also? The one that the people in north Sweden (for people in Stockholm: north of Täby :ph34r:) talks?? :lol:

Here in Finland we have most of the cache pages written in two languages, in finnish and in english. And i think it's very good idea, because if we wrote them only in finnish, no foreigner could understand them. But it's also good to write them in finnish too, because especially young people and also several adults understand english poorly or nothing at all. I'm pretty sure that the situation is same in other Nordic countries, so i agree with our approver that it's useful if the cache descriptions are bilingual.

I've seen requests for Finnish language descriptions for Finnish caches with an English-only description. The caches are in Finland, most hunters are Finnish talking Finns: it's only logical to have also a Finnish description in addition to the English one.

Well, IMHO, if I had to provide text for every language spoken here in the good ol' US, we'd fill up a server pretty quickly. English, Spanish, Tagalogue, and Vietnamese are very common in this area. Am I gonna lay out a cache page text with all of those? Not on your life. The whole idea seems ridiculous to me.

:D I think no one suggested that. The context is a bit different, don't you agree?

It's up to everyone to try to be friendly and helpful to fellow cacher. I provide an English description to all my cachers. However, I know some of my countrymen and -women like to read my cache descriptions also with their native language, so I'm happy to give them that. Even if it has filled the server up to its limit. :D If it doesn't benefit you, it won't probably hurt you either.

Gustaf introduced a great idea couple of years ago. If we had that feature, I might do an English, Finnish, Swedish and German description to every single cache I own. Those who think it's ridiculous, can read only the English page when going to hunt them. :(

:D I think no one suggested that. The context is a bit different, don't you agree?

It's up to everyone to try to be friendly and helpful to fellow cacher. I provide an English description to all my cachers. However, I know some of my countrymen and -women like to read my cache descriptions also with their native language, so I'm happy to give them that. Even if it has filled the server up to its limit. :D If it doesn't benefit you, it won't probably hurt you either.

Gustaf introduced a great idea couple of years ago. If we had that feature, I might do an English, Finnish, Swedish and German description to every single cache I own. Those who think it's ridiculous, can read only the English page when going to hunt them. :(

Yes, that makes sense. I sometimes tend to jump onto the wagon of rebellion with the slightest provocation. I'm old enough to know better. Thanks for the hand up. I do agree with your position.

An English version is of course self-evident, due to the international nature of the hobby. But I also find it logical to provide the local version -after all, it's the own language and so it needs almost no time, trouble or consulting a dictionary to compose it! :(

Because my most frequent caching companion is not a Finn, I often use also here the English version, but sometimes the Finnish version has proven useful, when not knowing exactly some crucial word in the bushes, or when the cache owner hasn't written the English version all that clearly.