Hitchhiking For 2-6 Y/o

hedberg
Followers 0

Our son goes to a child daycare center where they spend the whole days outside, hiking in the forest, looking at animals, tree and flowers. This autumn have they had a theme about trolls in the forest.

Now have I talked with the rest of the parents (we own our own day care center, it's a co-op), and they got really hooked up on this idea with a geocache. A lot of the kids are into treasury hunt, pirates, maps and things like that. So perhaps we will have a 'pirates'-theme this spring.

We will hide a cache or perhaps a couple of them in the forest, and we will post them here on GC. And we will tell on the cache page that it is a children cache, so people don't put offensive stuff inside. I think that the children will appreciate things like books, toys, messages and thinks like that.

Sometimes the staff will go out on treasury hunt together with the kids, they will all be dressed up like pirates looking for the lost treasury. The will have a map, like the old maps the pirates have. They will come back to the cache on regular basis, perhaps once per month or something like that to check it out.

The children around 5-6 y/o might be interested about GPSr and geocaching. I don't think that the youngier one will understand.. Our son are talking about 'PPS' (he can't get GPS right :P ) and finding hidden treasurys, but I don't think he can understand how satellittes work etc...

What do you think about this idea?

as i have said in another page about geocaching for kindergarteners, i dont see the point in trying to explain too much about how a gps triangulates your exact position on the earth to young children. maybe as they get a bit older like 4th or 5th grade they will better understand a little about that type of thing but remember that trigonometry doesnt come until middle and high school. i would concentrate on having phun with them. i like the whole pirate theme and i think that they will get a kick out of it. i am guessing that you are probably familiar with the wiggles video series. they have some pirate songs that you can sing as you hunt. i might also suggest trying to have some other crafts that go along with the theme. coloring boats, and pirate maps and things. i also like the idea of marking them as children's caches. i think that the geocaching culture would be very receptive to this idea. i for one, would drop by such a cach in my neighpbrhood and leave a note of congrats or somthing to praise them. also a piece of pirate treasure would be fun for them to find. good luck with your project drop a line if you are interested to know more ideas SC

Followers 0