Pda+gps+cellular Internet Does It Exist?

CC58

Saw a quick commercial on TV for a PDA

that suggested it was several devices in one.

A PDA with cellular internet connecitivity and a GPS.

It might have even functioned as a celluar phone too.

Does such a device exist? What is it? What does it cost?

I've never been a fan of all in one devices. I find that they never do any one thing better than average. I have an iPAQ 3975, a CoPilot Bluetooth GPS, and a Sony Ericcson T616 phone. All are bluetooth enabled and communicate with each other flawlessly.

I keep the phone in my shirt pocket and the GPS in that little tiny extra front pocket that they put on Levi jeans. Every now and then I find myself under dense enough brush that I need to take the GPS out of my pocket and velcro it to the top of my baseball hat. I have all of my account information setup so that when the iPAQ needs to go online it automatically connects to the T616 and gets what it needs. But even this is a fairly rare thing since I use GPXSonar to manage my cache lists.

I really like the T616 since its so small, achieves some incredible feats of battery strength, and even has a little camera. Its a pretty lousy camera to say the least but those times when we accidentally left the real camera back in the car, 2 miles away, its come in handy. Plus I can transfer the image to the iPAQ via bluetooth.

I use an iQue 3600 (Palm based PDA + built in GPS) and have a Sony Ericsson T610. I can use them both to send/receive email via GPRS but have yet to find a decent web browser for the iQue that can connect to the GC.com website and allow me to 'log in'. The user name and password boxes 'don't work'. Can anyone recommend a Palm web browser that will allow me to access the GC.com website 'in the field'?

I repair Wireless phones for a living. What you ask for is not far off. There is a big push to require that Phones report their location for 911 (Big Brother at it's best).

I susbscribe to the old Addage "Jack of all trades, Master of none". To pack that much junk into a small portable chassis there will be comprimizes.

You can get an iPaq or other bluetooth-enabled PDA and a bluetooth-enabled wireless phone (someone mentioned the Sony-Ericsson 610). Connected via bluetooth, the iPaq will have wireless internet as long as you can receive a signal with the phone (which can be in your pocket) This way you can check gc.com while out and about, then use your handheld gps to get the cache. 3 separate pieces of equipment instead of 1, but it pretty much does what you want, and the phone can stay in your pocket.

If you really want to go all out, get a bluetooth GPS and use the iPaq to display the GPS screens and you're set. Leave the phone and GPS in your pocket, the ipaq in your hand, and you're good to go. So much bluetooth, so little time. :ph34r: