Don't Waste Your Half Baked Ideas.....

This is a thought I had. How about some of the more experienced cachers offering a few thoughts here for others to use or abuse? I am thinking of cache ideas that you have had that are not perhaps complete or that you will not actually get around to using. Don't let these ideas go to waste. Someone else may get some use from them or they may spark a different idea.....

Here is one to get the thread started. I am not claiming it is a great idea and it may not even be original but well..... Do with it as you will, or not!

Inside am ammo box make a secondary 'lid' which is locked. Make a slot in the secondary lid. Invite your 'visitors' to pre-prepare a joke (clean) on a piece of paper about, say, a half letter size sheet. They would sign in on the log book which is above the secondary lid and 'post' the joke through the slot. You, as the cache owner, would visit the cache from time to time and empty the jokes. Any cacher who found the cache and left an e-mail address could then be given the option to have a copy of all of the jokes e-mailed or even mailed in a published form if they wished it. This to happen say when the joke count reached perhaps 50. Optionally, a web site to publish the jokes might work too.

PLEASE NOTE: This thread is for ideas you don't mind others copying or changing around!

Edited by bug&snake

I haven't looked to see if this has been done:

- a progressive story cache. Cache starts off with a couple paragraphs of a story. Each visitor can add to the story. When the story is completed (defined ahead of time to be x pages), the story is finished by the cache owner and posted on-line.

- a prayer cache. Cache has the usual goodies & logbook but also has a prayer request book (would this violate some hidden agenda type rule?). Write a prayer request, and the next visitor can choose to participate or not.

I haven't looked to see if this has been done:

- a progressive story cache. Cache starts off with a couple paragraphs of a story. Each visitor can add to the story. When the story is completed (defined ahead of time to be x pages), the story is finished by the cache owner and posted on-line.

- a prayer cache. Cache has the usual goodies & logbook but also has a prayer request book (would this violate some hidden agenda type rule?). Write a prayer request, and the next visitor can choose to participate or not.

I like the progressive story idea. The prayer idea doesn't bother me but there's always someone that will get their panties in a bunch about that one.

One I had that I won't be setting up any time soon...a children's multicache.

There is a kids' book called The Gruffalo, where a mouse walks through the woods, meeting various predators who think it looks tasty and invite it back to their places for a meal (of mouse). It claims it's going to lunch with a ficticious creature called a Gruffalo, and therefore can't take them up on their kind invitations.

Then it actually meets the Gruffalo, who also thinks it looks tasty. But the mouse convinces the Gruffalo that it's a scary predator, then leads it back through the woods. Each of the predators they meet sees the Gruffalo behind the mouse and runs away, convincing the Gruffalo that the mouse is indeed a scary monster.

The book ends, "All was quiet in the deep dark wood. The mouse found a nut, and the nut was good."

My idea would be a multi that leads you through the encounters in the book. Each stage would have a few pages of the book, amended with the coordinates of the next stage and laminated for damp-proofing. You could either lead the cacher back near the first three stages after the meeting with the Gruffalo, or else lead him/her onward if you can find the appropriate landscape. The final cache should have child-appropriate toys.

At the End of Your Rope Cache

This is an idea I had a long time ago, but was never sure if it would work very well. Feel free to use it (but let me know if it works).

Two boxes are each securely affixed (tied to an object, or spiked into the ground) at different locations, about 150- 175 feet apart from each other. Finding the first, will give you the clue/co-ordinates to find the second. Each box contains 100 feet of rope, with one end affixed to the box and the other end affixed to a laminated tag (the laminated tags would have some instructions on it) . The actual cache location is at one of two possible locations, being the locations where the two tags meet when the ropes are pulled out straight. This might be particularly interesting /difficult if there were lots of other trees around to get in the way. The instructions printed on the tags, ask that the ropes be put neatly back in their boxes after the cache is found.

Edited by seneca

I had thought of doing a cache using one of those dime store laser pointers. You would remove the batteries, and solder a battery of solar cells to the contacts inside the pointer. The starting coords lead you to the pointer which is secured to a tree or other rigid object, in a clear container with the solar cells visible. When you illuminate the cells with your flashlight, the laser becomes active, and points the way to the final cache location.

I had thought of doing a cache using one of those dime store laser pointers.

I'm thinking that's a tad too complicated when a simple "gun sight" affair with 3 nails or stakes would do the same thing and be bombproof to boot. I was thinking of using a couple of the large pillar shaped rocks available on site and/or the fork in a tree to create a simple stonehenge affair. (some pillar stones are already used to mark some trails)

Got any ideas for defeating winter?

I had thought of doing a cache using one of those dime store laser pointers. You would remove the batteries, and solder a battery of solar cells to the contacts inside the pointer. The starting coords lead you to the pointer which is secured to a tree or other rigid object, in a clear container with the solar cells visible. When you illuminate the cells with your flashlight, the laser becomes active, and points the way to the final cache location.

I'd hazard a guess that solar cells and flashlight would have a hard time powering a laser.

I'd use batteries, a photo-cell and timing circuit (to preserve battery life).

A motion sensor scenario might work.

George

Well, I was trying to think of a way to force people to visit a night cache at night. I placed one of the increasingly popular reflector trail caches, and it was recently found during the day. I'm ok with that, but the experience is much more exiting at night. The little laser pointers are invisible in the light of day, so it would make finding the cache much more difficult. I love the concept of night caches, and want to try to inspire other local cachers to create some for me to go find. :ph34r:

Perhaps solar cells to charge a NiCd which powers the device at night. I really wanted to use a light sensitive method. If you used two such lasers that intersect in space above the cache placement, it would make finding the cache even more of a puzzle. To find it, you would need to simultaneously activate both lasers, and move a target, or smoke, etc. around untill the two spots merge into one. This would require the cacher to enlist assistance from others, or figure out a way to keep both solar cell panels/CDS cells illuminated while they follow the beams.

This would require the cacher to enlist assistance from others, or figure out a way......

I'm certain most would require assistance just to go into the forest after dark. I do like the reflector idea though and a local mountain bike club play with reflector on the trails during night rides. Deer hunter also use them as guides into their stands.

There are some interesting illustions one can create by placing different sized reflectors at different distances but I'm toying with using the distant reflectors to line up onto where the cache is hidden. A bicycle shop is a good source for cheap durable reflectors.

My idea also involves a laser. I haven't given up on the idea, but just haven't found the time to build it or a location to put it. Here's the idea.

The finder would need to shine a laser at a target through a window while holding their palm device against the window where it is marked with an "x". When they hit the target, a palm device inside the building beams the location of the cache to the finder's palm device, which is set for beam receive

There's lots of possibilities, it could even be set up to only work between certain hours, etc..

I'll be looking for a cheap palm pilot on Ebay sometime after the New Year. I'm pretty sure I know how to do it, just finding the time and the location...maybe someone I know has their cube near a window :ph34r:

Did someone say night caches? Here's my idea file on the topic:

-night-only waypoint: 7 segment LED behind a dark window (in tree bark, fake black rock, etc) that flashes a number every second, cacher has to figure out where the number sequence starts.

-Solar charged FM xmitter. 'blip' every second (for tuning in), then voice message every minute with coords.

Publish frequency (and need for a radio!) Needs MCU skills (I'm thinking of a Moto S08 or TI MSP430 with 32k of flash for program and voice storage)

-Illuminated sign in office/appartment window, only visible at night (time switch?)

-audio murmur in busy daytime location (quiet recording of voice speaking coords in accessible but tamper-proof spot; too quiet in daytime traffic noise, OK in quiet of the night)

If I ever get around to building any of them, I'm happy to share the designs. If you use them, please remember me and share the design with me!

I'm pretty skilled with a soldeing iron, but beyond the simplest transistor logic circuits, I'm pretty much lost. If you can post a sketch of the circuit (traces on the board, components and their location, etc.) I can connect the dots.

I really like the low volume audio thing. Might scare someone pretty good if they don't know what to expect. :ph34r: Radio Shack used to sell a tie clip FM wireless mic that was small enough to fit inside a film cannister.

I was also considering a WIFI cache which required someone to use a program like netstumbler to find an AP that had coordinates for an SSID.

the laser pointer idea has some possibilities.. how about just soldering a radio shack battery holder for aa's and a switch, and require that the seeker bring a couple of batteries with them to complete the journey. also in the dark a bicycle type reflector or something like a reflective sign will illuminate quite nicely when struck by a laser beam.. might be kinda cool for effect if it were practically hidden, but still visible when illuminated.

just an addition to what might have possibilities... might have to put some more thought into that one.. i feel it has appeal in a gadget freak indiana jones sorta way.. it sure would impress someone new to the whole experience. :ph34r:

I'm a real big fan of the old Tomb Raider games. There were 3 dimensional puzzles you had to solve in order to get the key to move on to the next stage of the game. Any one who's played them knows what I'm referring to. I would like to find more ways to create real world 3D puzzles that lead to a cache. Perhaps I should dig up some of the old games and look for inspiration.

Bloencustoms

I like the idea about using netstumbler. I work with that program almost everyday. I'm curious about using the ssid for it.it would have to be near enough to be able to pick it up. Would you use that as a password that they would have to e-mail after they found it?. This idea sounds really cool.

You guys have some great beginning ideas for caches using techy stuff. Now I have something new for the subconcious to work on tonight while I sleep.

Slight deviation from the current course:

I am a big Stephen King fan, expecially 'The Dark Tower' series. There are currently 5 book with the final 2 coming out in the next year. I would love to do a multi, or series of mutli's following some of the themes of the books. Just can't get a really killer idea laid out. One other thing that holds me back on this one is popular knowledge. Do I make the clues fan specific or just themed? (easy or hard enough for even non fans to follow) The books are very adventure driven, pretty much Epic western version of the Lord of the Rings. Stike a cord with anyone?

Some amazing stuff in this thread - didn't know it would go this far.

Keep 'em coming folks.....

Another idea from me if you want to use it... I have a cache that talks to you when you open the box. The speech module came from a kids dollar store cell phone toy.

Just a seed for someones mind I hope.....

Edited by bug&snake

I was thinking of using steganography as a way to hide a clue to finding a cache. Post a photo on the cache page with the encrypted co-ordinates hidden inside it. Then, a cache seeker would have to figure out a puzzle to find the decryption password so that they could get the coords from the picture. Just haven't got around to doing it yet.

Well, I was trying to think of a way to force people to visit a night cache at night. I placed one of the increasingly popular reflector trail caches, and it was recently found during the day. I'm ok with that, but the experience is much more exiting at night. The little laser pointers are invisible in the light of day, so it would make finding the cache much more difficult. I love the concept of night caches, and want to try to inspire other local cachers to create some for me to go find. :ph34r:

Oh, it would be a night-only cache.

The timer circuit I am thinking about would force the system off in the daytime.

In other words, if it stays bright for too long (like in the day) it will shut itself down until it "sees" some period of darkness.

George

Bloencustoms

I like the idea about using netstumbler. I work with that program almost everyday. I'm curious about using the ssid for it.it would have to be near enough to be able to pick it up. Would you use that as a password that they would have to e-mail after they found it?. This idea sounds really cool.

Well, I was thinking you could even connect your gps to netstumbler, and drive around searching for interesting SSID's. NS will log the coordinates where you first recieve the signal, so you would have to find the spot with the strongest reception of a given AP and post the coords for that location. After collecting some interesting SSID's, you have the makings of a multiple choice multi stage cache. In other words, goto x... y... if the ssid you see is a. goto x b. goto y c. goto z, and so on untill you bring them to the final coords. Alternatively, you could set up a dedicated PC (some old junker, wouldn't even need a monitor or keyboard once you set it up), and a directional ant. to beam the signal at a parking spot somewhere, and put whatever clue you want into the SSID. For that matter, if it's a junk PC, you could leave the network wide open and store some maps to a cache in a shared folder or something. It's not likely many people will visit such a cache, but those that fool with WIFI would get a kick out of it.

Edited by Bloencustoms
-audio murmur in busy daytime location (quiet recording of voice speaking coords in accessible but tamper-proof spot; too quiet in daytime traffic noise, OK in quiet of the night)

How about an audio beacon emitting the call of an unusual bird for the area?

It would drive birders insane, but you'd have to be careful that it's not a call that would disturb local wildife.

Or maybe a cricket or frog sound.

You could post an audio file of the sound to let people know exactly what to listen for.

You could integrate the photo cell light mentioned above to make it a night only cache (or day cache).

You could probably scavange the necessary electronics for the motion sensor from one of those singing fish or dancing flower novelties. I was just given a motion-activated singing Santa that was less than $10 at a discount store.

George

You could make a temperature dependant cache where you have a thermometer with the scale removed, and coordinates written along the sides at a specific temp. (Along with decoy coords at incorrect temps.) Then the cacher would have to either visit the cache when the weather is just right, or bring their own thermometer, and ice or a handwarmer to get the correct coords, depending on the weather at the time.

A cache I have all ready to go, but have no idea where to place is sitting in my living room right now. It uses a sundial device I made out of brass rods to give you coordinates based on the time of day. There is a way to figure out the coordinates without being there at the correct time, but it requires an understanding of how the sun and earth work together to produce shadows. If you figure it out, you are welcome to email me with the answer. I'd like to know how easy it is to crack. Please refrain from posting the answer here.

The cache is called The Rise of Huitzlopoctli named for a south american sun god, and if I can find a good place to put it, it will be active in SE Louisiana someday. I had a nice spot in an NWR picked out, but we all know what happened to that. :ph34r:

This is an idea I had a long time ago, but was never sure if it would work very well. Feel free to use it (but let me know if it works).

Two boxes are each securely affixed (tied to an object, or spiked into the ground) at different locations, about 150- 175 feet apart from each other. Finding the first, will give you the clue/co-ordinates to find the second. Each box contains 100 feet of rope, with one end affixed to the box and the other end affixed to a laminated tag (the laminated tags would have some instructions on it) . The actual cache location is at one of two possible locations, being the locations where the two tags meet when the ropes are pulled out straight. This might be particularly interesting /difficult if there were lots of other trees around to get in the way. The instructions printed on the tags, ask that the ropes be put neatly back in their boxes after the cache is found.

Wouldn't you need a tenth of a mile of rope to meet guidelines?

Remember those Magic Eye pictures that were popular a few years back. I remember seeing a website where you could order ones that would say what you wanted on them. I think there were even programs that would let you print your own. Anyway, I thought doing a cache where the first stage of a two part multi was one of these Magic Eye pictures with the coordinates on it would be fun. I could call it Cross Eyes multi, or something fun. Hmm, I'll have to track that site down again.

--RuffRidr

Check out craft stores for 'greenery' when they have their after-Christmas sales. Look for stuff that can take a beating in local weather. You can make a decon-sized container near impossible to notice if situated in the right tree.

Decoys might add some interesting features. A while back I was contemplating using a dove decoy as a part of a multi. If you have access and permission, a duck/goose decoy on a pond but tethered to a tree or something might open up sone possibilities.

Fishing line might be a tool to consider for smaller/lighter caches placed below foot level. Nice for elevated boardwalks where vegetation hides cache from view. If you have a truly watertight container, well.....

Look around you for possibilities. Craft stores, outdoor stores, and hardware stores are great places to wander with an open mind.

Remember those Magic Eye pictures that were popular a few years back. I remember seeing a website where you could order ones that would say what you wanted on them. I think there were even programs that would let you print your own. Anyway, I thought doing a cache where the first stage of a two part multi was one of these Magic Eye pictures with the coordinates on it would be fun. I could call it Cross Eyes multi, or something fun. Hmm, I'll have to track that site down again.

--RuffRidr

RuffRidr,

I've got the software for that. I'd be happy to try it and send you the results.

I have one of those keychains that responds when you whistle. I was thinking of attaching it to the outside of the container. Hide the cache VERY well. When you get to the area, just whistle to find it.

Or maybe just make it a leg of a multi, or maybe a micro.

One idea I considered but haven't planned out is to do a multi cache that is actually a sort of 'geo maze.' Each stage would be a micro with two coordinates, and the finder must pick either of the two. At times, they would reach a 'dead end' cache with no coords in it, and would have to back up and try some of the coords they got from earlier stages. Every once in a while, they would come across a URL to a webpage with the next stages coords, or would even have to call my voicemail and get them off of a recorded message. Final stage would be an ammo box, but the finder would have no idea how close they are to completion. Depending on the route, it could be completed in as little as 4 stops, as some of the later stages point back to earlier ones. I abandoned the idea because it required a large number of micros that would be difficult to maintain.

This is an idea I had a long time ago, but was never sure if it would work very well.  Feel free to use it (but let me know if it works).

Two boxes are each securely affixed (tied to an object, or spiked into the ground) at different locations, about 150- 175 feet apart from each other.  Finding the first, will give you the clue/co-ordinates to find the second.  Each box contains 100 feet of rope, with one end affixed to the box and the other end affixed to a laminated tag (the laminated tags would have some instructions on it) .  The actual cache location is at one of two possible locations, being the locations where the two tags meet when the ropes are pulled out straight.  This might be particularly interesting /difficult  if there were lots of other trees around to get in the way.  The instructions printed on the tags,  ask that the ropes be put neatly back in their boxes after the cache is found.

Wouldn't you need a tenth of a mile of rope to meet guidelines?

O.K., I'll bite. This cache would be a multi-cache, (finding the first 2 boxes enables you find the final cache) and there is no rule as to minimum distance between legs of a multi.

I have one of those keychains that responds when you whistle. I was thinking of attaching it to the outside of the container. Hide the cache VERY well. When you get to the area, just whistle to find it.

Ah! Radio Shack have a thing that is a 'sender' and/or a 'receiver' that you buy as a pack of two. I did think of putting one in a cache with the 'real' cache off on a compass bearing that would involve taking the 'sender' along. My concern was whether the cachers would be willing to do this one if it involved going back to replace the 'sender' unit after finding the cache..... What do you think? Would you do this?

there is no rule as to minimum distance between legs of a multi.

CO, this is only a tad off topic: I recently went caching in a local park, and found that the last two I searched for were only 546ft apart. Isn't that pushing the .10 miles limit a bit? Or are there certain circumstances that make this ok?

Or is it because I don't know how far .10 miles is?

(probably the latter)

Edited by Sparky-Watts

"Teamwork"

Hung with fishing line, a micro cache is suspended high above an impassable river/stream with bridge/crossing not too far away but not obvious.

To lower the cache to a side, one must discover the attachment point (weight) and raise it to lower the container to the other side.

A companion on the other side could then log it. FRS radios would be useful (but not required), as river noise makes it hard to communicate.

The only areas I could do it around here already have caches, and most cachers are solo so I'm not bothering.

Enjoy,

Randy

PS: If anyone uses this, let me know as I'll want to watch the page!

Jumbo Shrimp: A cache of oxymorons.

Based on Gallagher's humor, I had planned on placing a cache full of sporks. Each spoon/fork would have a different oxymoron written on it.

Of course, there would be extra points for anyone who could actually get Gallagher out to the cache site.

I don't know if I'll ever do one.

It's yours......

Sn :(:D gans

"Teamwork"

Hung with fishing line, a micro cache is suspended high above an impassable river/stream with bridge/crossing not too far away but not obvious.

To lower the cache to a side, one must discover the attachment point (weight) and raise it to lower the container to the other side.

A companion on the other side could then log it. FRS radios would be useful (but not required), as river noise makes it hard to communicate.

The only areas I could do it around here already have caches, and most cachers are solo so I'm not bothering.

Enjoy,

Randy

PS: If anyone uses this, let me know as I'll want to watch the page!

How about attaching a pully on one side, and running the free end back across the stream to allow a single cacher to retrieve it?

I am a big Stephen King fan, expecially 'The Dark Tower' series. There are currently 5 book with the final 2 coming out in the next year. I would love to do a multi, or series of mutli's following some of the themes of the books. Just can't get a really killer idea laid out. One other thing that holds me back on this one is popular knowledge. Do I make the clues fan specific or just themed? (easy or hard enough for even non fans to follow) The books are very adventure driven, pretty much Epic western version of the Lord of the Rings. Stike a cord with anyone?

Another Dark Tower fan here.

Ever since I got into caching, I've wanted to do an H.P. Lovecraft-themed cache. I don't know of any in existence, except for a virtual of his grave. It would be a multi part cache that has you following the path of a missing professor, with each stage giving clues to what happened. Of course, the finale would be something horrific that I haven't figured out yet. I also don't have a good location as of yet. Any sort of ruins deep in the woods would be ideal (actually, I do know of such a place, but I already have a cache there).