Cache Density: Is Victoria #1?

Pharmadude

If you're not #1 you can't be too far off. We don't have the same coverage in Winnipeg (yet). May have something to do with the weather. It has been interesting to follow the map coverage of Geocaching over the past couple of years. The maps are becoming overgrown and in another year it will be difficult to locate new caches on the maps. Buxley's for example looks like one big mat now.

Wow, that's a lot of caches. I'm overdue for my trip to visit friends in Victoria, and it sounds like some geocaching will be in order. My concern is with that many caches, how many are good ones? I've often thought that cache finders should be able grade caches on a scale of 1-10 so that the crappy caches could be avoided by visiting cachers with limited time.

I think that one of the reasons it is so dense is the shape of the surrounding geography. Victoria is at the south end of Vancouver Island, restricting any West, South or East cache placements.

Plus, with such a beautiful city and a preponderance of lovely parks, there are a lot of places to choose from when looking to hide a cache.

:(

You mean to tell me that geocaching is not like this everywhere else in Canada?

LOL, we do not even need a 4X4 with tire chains, Snowmobile, or Snow shovel to access our caches year round. Bad enough to spend $500 for a GPS to go geocaching, I cannot imagine needing to buy a $60 000 SUV, to "conquer the elements" and go find some dollar store items.

Many people who buy GPS units from me get them to use for boating and fishing. But as I point out to them, geocaching is a great way to really learn to use your GPS unit, as well as a great way to spend time with the family doing something fun and inexpensive.

Hey wait, you are not supposed to bury caches, so that must mean when the snow falls and all the caches are buried, then they are no longer "official geocaches". I will go caching in the dark, in the rain, or risk a sunburn, but I really have to draw the line somewhere and it would be snow.

I will save geocaching in Edmonton for the summer time, thanks.

I will save geocaching in Edmonton for the summer time, thanks.

Smart! VERY smart! I went out yesterday hoping to do a couple of easy caches... It s minus 25 with about 8cms of new snow. Well, it only took about a minute outside for me to change my mind and head for the nearest Tim Horton's instead. I'm thinking it might be time to move out west!

Edited by Shumway
I'm thinking it might be time to move out west!

I think a $60,000 SUV is cheaper than a $500,000 House in Vancouver!

:huh:

But, who would want to live in Vancouver anyway? Think that the housing is expensive now, just wait until we get closer to the Olympics...........No CANADIANS will be able to afford to rent an apartment there. You will all have to live in Skookumchuk and ride the bus into work everyday! LOL

Wow, that's a lot of caches. I'm overdue for my trip to visit friends in Victoria, and it sounds like some geocaching will be in order. My concern is with that many caches, how many are good ones? I've often thought that cache finders should be able grade caches on a scale of 1-10 so that the crappy caches could be avoided by visiting cachers with limited time.

Good idea! In the meantime, I recommend Team KFWB and Team Extreme GPS caches, and anything cached by JRAV as good way to go. And if you are into virtual caches and want to learn a bit more about our area, Plantman has done a series of virtual caches. :huh:

60000$ SUV? screw that dude.... i walk wherever i cache... weekends... up at 7... leave for caching... back at 7... Also... to increase range... take bus/public transit, around the lower mainland and walk from the closest point for a series of caches... that's a whole 1.50 for us youth... maybe 3 bucks for you older folks.... and sure the only reason i really do this is because i have no job to get money to buy a car....but what can ya do... ? lol ...