The First Circumconus Travel Bug Race

brad.32

I've said it before. People do not necessarily follow what the instruction tags say :unsure:

The first weekly update of the map has been made. Three racers in Florida already, except for the small problem that bons and ~del Mar~ pointed out: they skipped Texas.

The voting for the most creative: Sunday Drive in the lead with 46% of the vote, followed by Minnesota Gumby with 21%.

Well since they skipped Texas and will have to go back and then on to Florida again, I guess we are all still on California folks. Some of us though are wondering if our bugs will actually be allowed to race, being still locked in the hands of those that retrieved them from the starting line. Seems like they would actually move the bugs along quickly, being a race and all :unsure:

At least I can safely say I am in the lead for one of the prizes :blink:

Edited by bazzle

hey all -

with many, many, many thanks to brad, my desire of hosting a travel bug race has come to fruition.

ladies and gentlemen.. may i introduce you to the newest travel bug race:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=111007

there is no rule about how many travel bug races you can be in (im in 3 so far!)

so team PEZ welcomes anybody and everybody from any part of the world to join!

1st prize - 4 travel bug tags

2nd prize - 2 travel bug tags

3rd prize - 1 travel bug tag

hope to see you entering!

corey

team PEZ

Cartman was placed in Florida yesterday.

If he keeps up this pace (1/3 done now), he'll be done by July and there are several others in TX that are one step behind. Supposedly more people cache in the summer, so the whole race could be finished by the end of summer.

One of the rules of the race is:

"The race will be over 1 Jan 2005, or when all the racers reach the finish/final cache, which ever comes first. Hmmm, if the prize-winning finishers (1st, 2nd, and 3rd) don't finish in a year, then the race will continue until they do."

Well, today is the day and NO bugs are even close to finishing. Only two have made it to Maine, so after a year they are only half way around. My thought with the above rule was that maybe there would be a 1st, possibly 2nd, place winner, by now then the race would continue for a short time.

Should the race have Maine as the final state (e.g., reach any cache in Maine) and wait for three finishers to reach that state or do you want to wait, at this rate an additional entire year, until three TBs reach the final cache in CA as originally planned?

:D

Edited by brad.32

I am currently holding Crapper Mobile Racing TB which is in the race (and a slow one at that). Picked it up today. I was going to feel a "little" bad about holding on to it for four weeks, but it may make it up to Maine to take 2nd place anyway!

I didn't read all the rules, but maybe you can e-mail cachers in the vicinity of the TB to plead for a pick-up? It's going to either Jacksonville, Orlando (Disney) or Lakeland. I might even take requests!

Cartman appears to be back in the race. That bug was MIA between Jul 2004 and Apr 2005, but somehow it moved from Maine to Michigan in the meantime without being logged into any caches.

He's back in the lead ;)

If you look at the current map, Lizzy is currently in Minnesota, but that's deceiving because she's on her way to Texas (way behind).

http://users.rcn.com/brad.32/geocaching/tbrace.htm

Well, it's "official". The race started 3 Jan 2004 and today is 3 Jan 2006, so the remaining racers are starting their third year.

About half of the racers are still active, and Orange Chicken is in the lead, on the way to Washington, after that, it has to travel on to California to win. One day we may have a winner :-)

We're rooting for our new buddy Orange Chicken. He had lots of fun with us before we took him back to Washington. My daughter liked him so much, she is planning on starting her own race soon. She wants to do a clockwise route around North America. Judging by the speed of this race, she may be an adult before her bugs finish that one! :)

My Crapper TB was picked up in Ohio 7/11/2007 with a goal to go to Minnesota. It sat for almost 2 years and was dropped off in Hawaii. Wow......................

I thought your TB was dead. Then I see that it went to Hawaii?! Y'know, if it is in someone's possession for almost two years, I would expect them to figure out where it is supposed to go.

My Crapper TB was picked up in Ohio 7/11/2007 with a goal to go to Minnesota. It sat for almost 2 years and was dropped off in Hawaii. Wow......................

I thought your TB was dead. Then I see that it went to Hawaii?! Y'know, if it is in someone's possession for almost two years, I would expect them to figure out where it is supposed to go.

Don't even get me started :o Atleast it's back..............