Tb Happy Endings

Theseus

Well, I don't want to blow everyone else outta the water with too good a story, so I will just post this page link. :) Check out the cache that TB inspired.

Man, THAT was a trip... in more ways than one! :bad:

The Lewis and Clark traveling cache and travel bug has not done too bad either. :bad:

The Flutterbys made it home with no amazing stories or drama that I know of... other than my 2 attempts in my two different trips to LA to get the darn thing! :P

I have 2 bugs, 1 has goal of returning back to me. Never thought much about afterwards. Both where missing for awhile, ... I saw on this page a topic about

missing bugs. Someone said to place notice's in nearby cache's in hopes of

attracting attention. 2 weeks later I got an e-mail from someone saying they found

it and placed it in the same day and forgot to get tag info. Now it is on it's way. :P

This is my 1st reply, these topics are nice, and educational.

Thanks

The Be Mine Travel bug Has nearly completed it's Goal.

Thanks to the efforts of LOTS and LOTS of people. I would like to thank the PeconicBay Sailors and KBer for their efforts in the movement of this bug and especially Scoobydooers for His FINE sewing job and the resurrection of this TB when it went MIA.

The complete log history of this bug has been printed out, photos, and along with an information sheet, a Best Wishes form Geocaching Community have all been laminated will be presented in the near future.

there maybe one more footnote to this journey.....

happy trails you to all.....

...well, its not a happy "ending" per-se, since there is no finite goal, but so far our BuddyCanYa SpareADime bug is doing really well.

It collects dimes. It was released on 3/9/03. On 12/23/03 GeoWomyn_SF_CA delivered its first batch of dimes to a local charity.

Many thanks to the nice folks in California who have been taking good care of it lately. :rolleyes:

I just noticed Rover Green completed its mission of traveling from Oregon back to Georgia. That is quite a jaunt, too.

...and I cant help but mention that Rover Green wound up in our Ye Olde 41 Travel Bug Motel

Wahoo!

Anyone up for another race? Major League Baseball Stadium Travel Bug Race starts in 3 weeks. Don't miss out!

Corey

Team PEZ

Edited by Team PEZ
The Be Mine Travel bug Has nearly completed it's Goal.

Thanks to the efforts of LOTS and LOTS of people. I would like to thank the PeconicBay Sailors and KBer for their efforts in the movement of this bug and especially Scoobydooers for His FINE sewing job and the resurrection of this TB when it went MIA.

The complete log history of this bug has been printed out, photos, and along with an information sheet, a Best Wishes form Geocaching Community have all been laminated will be presented in the near future.

there maybe one more footnote to this journey.....

happy trails you to all.....

to add to the adventrue of teh BE-Mine Travel BUG....the local paper final published it. but it's not on their website, and I don't know if it made the National wire...so I scanned it and place JPG images on my website.

here are the links the photo and the story

ScoobyDooers, I have a laminated copy for you!!!!!

Robert

Shutterbug, one of my camera bugs, successfully made it to its destination in southern California, and is getting ready to make its way back to Maryland soon. ButterShug made it as far as San Francisco, but disappeared shortly after being replaced with a new camera. It's about to re-start its cross-country trip from Florida.

Cable in the Wild didn't have as far to go, but it made its trip without any setbacks. It's still in West Virginia, awaiting further orders.

I've had a few unsuccessful bugs as well, but I'm in the process of reviving them, to be restarted soon.

I had a very interesting experience with one of my travelbugs which resulted in a happy, though tearful ending. I've hesitated to share it with you because it sounds a little bit like PAX TV. In order to tell you the story, I will need to refer to God and faith in Him. I hope this will not offend you. I believe and earnestly hope that freedom of speech is still alive and well in the forums and so I share with you the story of Dotty Bear.

In June of 2002, I released a travel bug called “Dotty Bear.” She was a stuffed, beanie-type bear made by Avon and was a "breast cancer crusade" product because a portion of her cost helped fund breast cancer research. I dedicated this bug to my Aunt Dot because of her victory over cancer. The bug’s mission was to find and comfort another cancer victim. Until that final owner was found, her mission was just to hop from cache to cache like any other travelbug.

Unlike some of my other bugs, she didn’t travel very fast or far, but I got the most wonderful email from those who came into contact with her. One fellow wrote me to say that he almost took Dotty for a male friend with cancer, but since his friend was doing better, he decided to let her keep going. We exchanged several emails. In one, he said:

By the way, I was telling my geocache/hiking buddy about you last Sat., and I lifted you up in prayer this morning when I got your email.  It is a wonderful thing to be connected to brothers and sisters through the Lord without having ever met.

Wow – I began to think there was something really special about this travel bug. Dotty Bear went missing for quite a while in the possession of someone called “dadgum Yankee” (which is a hoot for a travelbug "living" in the South) but she finally turned up again and I got this email message:

Ever since we picked up Little Dotty Bear I knew you were a special gal...and weren't you a GS leader too? I lead a group of Jr.s. - Anywho, thanks so much!

Hmmm…another nice penpal due to Dotty. Then Dotty’s travels seemed to stall again. I wrote the person who picked her up to see if maybe she had found her final home. Here’s the response from –believe it or not – another Dotty and Jim (my Aunt Dotty's husband's name is also Jim):

Dotty Bear will be traveling again but, for the time being, she is still on her mission of this summer.  Many times I have sat down here at the computer to write you, but it has been a difficult task.  I am not the official cacher in the family; (cacher name omitted) is my husband.  This time, however, Dotty Bear had a very special purpose and I'm glad I was in on this one.

On June 11, a very dear friend from teenage years was diagnosed with terminal cancer and given less than a week to live.  We all belong to a church family that is very strong in our faith. We are now the 'older generation', having raised our kids and now our grandkids together.  We prayed for and expected a miracle.  On June 14, my husband and I went to Virginia to visit my daughter and family.  Naturally, wherever we go, he takes a list of caches in the area.  We went to the nature park and traveled through the trail and found the cache.  It was VERY buggy and I went on ahead as he pondered through the items in the box.  When my husband caught up with me, he handed me the plastic bag marked "Dotty Bear", with a smile on his face.  You see, my name is Dottie.  He went on to walk around a pond and I took the bag and went to a pavilion nearby.  My daughter sells Avon and, as soon as I opened the bag, I realized what I had.  Then I read the story.  I felt as if God was reaching out to me in response to prayers for my friend.  You see, her name is Dorothy, too.  I couldn't wait to get home and take this special bear to her.

Her request was that she be brought home and not to die in the hospital. She and her husband have five adult children and many grandchildren; a very close family.  On Sunday afternoon, June 22, I went to their house.  In spite of knowing what the doctors told her was in store for her, she sat up in the hospital bed and was mostly concerned about what was going on with other people.  She was so moved with the little bear and the autograph book. She and her husband and I prayed together, and she held on to Dotty Bear. When I started to leave, she called out "Hey, Kid, how do I get Dotty Bear back in circulation when I'm through with her?"  I told her to just give it to Jim and me and we'd she that she got on her way again. 

On June 25, in the wee hours of the morning, God took Dorothy home with Him. Over 280 people attended the memorial service.  She was such a blessing and inspiration to everyone around her; never complained and always asked about the other person, right up to the last breath.  The rest of us realized then that we had our miracle.....the faith that she had instilled in her family and friends who are not church goers was a wonderful testimony as each child and friends stood and told their story.

We left Dotty Bear with her husband until the family was ready to let go. There are very young grandchildren (ages 4-11) and they all know how Dotty Bear got there.  About a month ago, Dale (Dorothy's husband) came to me and said, "How do I get Dotty Bear back on her mission?  I think I can let her go now and I know that's what Dorothy wanted....to let her go when she didn't need her anymore."  I asked him to write something in the autograph book about what Dotty Bear had meant to them this summer and fall, then give her to us and we would see that she got back on the road. Jim and I were about to leave for vacation.  I thought that would be a good place to start her out.  However, time came for us to leave and Dale hadn't gotten her to us yet.

This morning, I talked with Dale's daughter (who he had said was better at writing that he is). She said she has set down several times, but wants to be sure of what she is writing, so she has been taking her time with it.  As soon as we get the bear from her, she will be back on the road.  In the meantime, she is still fulfilling her purpose and bringing a lot of consolation where it has been needed.

God does work in mysterious ways, his wonders to perform....who would think that a plastic box in a forest in Virginia would hold something (a Dotty Bear) that started in NC, meant to be delivered (by a Dottie) for a very special Dottie and family in the hills of Northern Pennsylvania.....and right on time!!

Wow. At this point, I’m thinking it can’t get much better. But later I got this email:

Dotty Bear was returned to us at church yesterday morning.  Right now, Pennsylvania weather is not such that we will be out to a cache.  Everything is ice this morning.  However, in the next few weeks we will be out and I will let you know then just where she has been deposited with prayer to continue her travels.  FYI, the following is the message in the book from the family:

12/14/03 -- Dotty came to my mother, the other Dotty, and brought more than cheer.  She brought a tangible sign of God's presence and love in the midst of an otherwise trying time.  I've kept her these months to remind me of that when the grief of our loss threatened to overwhelm all other thoughts. I pray whoever she visits next will recognize and acknowledge His almighty power and surpassing love.  For that and that alone are the only real and lasting reasons we have joy.  HOPE ON IN FAITH, GOD BLESS, AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR MINISTRY. 

My ministry? This was a ministry? Wow, and I just thought it was a travel bug – this has to be a “God thing” because I never dreamed that a little beanie bear could be “a tangible sign of God’s presence and love.” Isn’t God good to let us know how He can use anything to touch hearts and lives, even a little stuffed bear? And that is the "happiest ending" that any of my bugs have enjoyed.

*+.,_,.+*'`'*+.,_ honeychile_,.+*'`'*+.,_,.+*'`

Okay, so a new bug has come into the area and this area is more or less it's goal. Here's the think- the TB's goal is to go to a museum on OK City and the EAA in Oshkosh, WI.

The bug has made it to Oshkosh, and is actually sitting less than a mile from the EAA grounds. By the way, EAA is a museum with a huge annual airshow. Now, the goal is to attend the airshow and have a photo taken.

Here's the prolem- the airshow isn't for another 2 months-ish. It's sometime mid-summer. This bug isn't going to last in town until the airshow (and do we really want to keep it here?). I was thinking of emailing the owner, taking it's picture at the EAA building (the airshow costs a lot to go to when it is going on)- then sending it on its way to Okahoma, with part of its mission complete.

Is it really viable to keep a bug in a city that doesn't even have a lot of caches for 2 months? I'll just ask the owner. Anyway- here's Jelly Airlines, half having met it;s goal.

This isn't a happy ending, but rather a very happy beginning. We recently released our first TB, "Ramblin' Boy", in honor of our disabled nephew. He has only been picked up by one cacher so far, but check out the pictures that that cacher logged on the bug's page to see what a great adventure he's having already. No matter what happens to the bug beyond this point in his travels, we'll consider this one a success.

I helped one racer TB get to its goal...

It had the furthest to go of the 4 racers, and it got there first (thanks to a trip to Bar Harbor on my part and a midnight cache raid to get it in Boston the day before I left).

Unfortunately, it seems that the owner didn't keep the updates going on the race, so its hard to see what has happened to the initial race.

Oh well, here's the TB that won: Son#2's Racer

I had a very interesting experience with one of my travelbugs which resulted in a happy, though tearful ending.

Thank you for sharing. While reading your post I had an ah ha! moment and now know what kind of TB I'm going to release for my mom. She's a breast cancer surviver and I'm going to find a pink breast cancer ribbon and release that when I see her in Myrtle Beach, SC in a couple of weeks.

Zack

This isn't a happy ending, but rather a very happy beginning. We recently released our first TB, "Ramblin' Boy", in honor of our disabled nephew.

I've done some caching in Bermuda and check up on them every so often and I saw those pictures. I thought they were great and now I try to post at least one picture for every TB that I help move on its way.

Zack

I've done some caching in Bermuda and check up on them every so often and I saw those pictures. I thought they were great and now I try to post at least one picture for every TB that I help move on its way.

Yep -- I've found lately that one of my favorite aspects of geocaching is taking pictures of travel bugs (both mine and others' bugs). And after realizing how pleased I was with the pictures that Old Riches took of our bug, I think I will focus on the picture-taking aspect even more now.

Our (actually Sweet Pea's) Tinkerbell bug completed her mission in just a few days shy of a year. She managed to visit both Disneyland and Disneyworld, and she even made a trip over to Europe! No stops there, but the cacher carried her on his journey.

We are sad that there are quite a few gaps in the logs of her entire journey, but we're happy to have her back home. Wish we could say the same for her compainion TB, Peter Pan, who had the same goal. He has also made it across the US to Disneyworld and back, but has been MIA since the last log six months ago in the Disneyland area. :blink: Attempts to contact the cacher who last logged him have been unsuccessful.

Another story of an incredibly successful Travel Bug -- Big Red Speedy has not only completed it's goal, but it has completed it THREE TIMES!

This really amazed me, as this travel bug has not only criss-crossed the US twice, but is a larger-than-usual TB that was in excellent condition with a pull-back mechanism that still works, making it very likely to be "adopted" by somebody that likes it! This TB seems to have violated a number of Snoogan's TB longevity guidelines, but just keeps on going!

I felt privileged to be able to place it in the cache to complete its third goal.

I have a travel bug that, with one person is almost all the way to his goal.

Driving, the trip from my house now to the house I grew up in is about 600 miles.. Not sure about as the crow flies, but it's looking like about 500 anyway if it goes straight from where it is to it's end goal.

Anyway, I took my bug to GeoWoodstock, and the person who picked it up lives in Cincinatti, OH, but is going to an event between Akron and Cleveland and will take my bug with him when he goes to that. So now, My Bug is about 60 miles from the End Cache...

To make it even better, it's done 90% of the distance in exactly 25% of the time... So now it's just got that last little bit.. If an Erie cacher grabs it, it can be taken to it's final destination on the cacher's way home.

Bob and Dave's Amazing Race TB should be at their goal on Monday. I'm trying to work out a deal with the local CBS affiliate for some news coverage (as well as a couple trade mags) to both promote Geocaching and to hopefully improve Bob and Dave's chances. I received their video and presentation in the mail today, and if it wasn't for my wonky work schedule, I would take it over there sooner..

(Since the show airs Tuesday, a Monday drop off with filming makes it more likely for the local news to broadcast the story, or for it to be picked up by the network.)

I hope they get picked as at least alternates for the show, and I hope that any coverage that comes from it reflects well on the sport.

One of the most nifty tb's I've come across.

I've had that bug on my watchlist since it started, since I was only about 45 minutes from Erie at the time and happened to check out caches in the area just after they placed it..

That was certainly a cool idea. Hopefully they'll make it on the show! How cool would that be??

We've had two TBs that we've moved to their final destination. This makes for happy Tiggers. But our joy was short lived. One story ended in tragedy, the other went MIA before the owner could retrieve it.

Spawn Travel Bug was found about 5 miles from it's destination, so it was no trouble to give it a lift to the owner's mom's house. I'm just glad she didn't call the police when a strange guy knocked on the door and handed her the ugliest clown doll in history. LOL. The rest of the story you can read on the TB page.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...81-7f370183afd4

The second one, I admit, I did it for the bribe offered (who doesn't like maple syrup?(but we never really expected to get it)) Five hours total time to ride up the cache it was in, retrieve it, ride to the opposite side of Detroit and battle the evil 'poor signal' to find the cache. I swear we put it in the cache, but it seems to have gone missing.

"Hiya, all. Our travel bug, "Hokie Hokie Hokie Hi!", made it as far as this cache this past weekend. It's trying to get to the Squirrel's Perch cache, 25 miles southwest in/near West Bloomfield, as part of a travel bug race. If someone local to this cache would be so kind as to pick it up and take it the rest of the way and drop it off there, we'd be happy to send the helper a pint of genuine Vermont maple syrup (we're Vermont residents) as thanks."

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=56699

Wulf

I picked my Travel Bug Maryland, My Maryland today on Wye Island, Maryland after 2 years, three months, 17,914 miles and 31 outstanding cachers.

Thanks to Outsid4ever, Rain734, MrZ, dmg, Orange Hippo, Laughing Gravy, s2000guy, The Bloodhound Gang, oc1rick, CCCooperAgency, weimgal, RightWingWacko, TeamBro, SwampKing, IceCream Man, fauntimes, BlueMan, fstopfitz, Steve&Kyle, Co-Pilot, Team It'sAllGood, agff3, Iahonton, dad&boys, JuniperButte, 4X$extreme, GeoTechnician&OliviaRed, Sadie and Scrook(KD7YA),Canyon226, and last but certainly not the least, DaisyChain...

I'll be sending it back out on the road soon...

936d06fd-a2a6-4f32-8b63-ca6e14467321.jpg

Spawn Travel Bug was found about 5 miles from it's destination, so it was no trouble to give it a lift to the owner's mom's house.  I'm just glad she didn't call the police when a strange guy knocked on the door and handed her the ugliest clown doll in history. LOL. The rest of the story you can read on the TB page.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...81-7f370183afd4

Wow <_< ...that geocacher shares the exact same name as me. I did NOT expect that!

Edited by PC Painter