Image Upload Area, > 100k For $$$ And

Mark 42

I'm all for image quality, but what is the advantage of 250K images?

For some of us that are stuck with slow dial-up connections one heck of a long wait time for the picture to down load. And not much gained in what I see. Large pictures viewed on computer monitors gain very little. Large pictures printed on large paper, now that's a different story.

what is the advantage of 250K images

What the difference between 1 megapixel resolution and 2.5?

On a web page, no difference other than loading time. Using some decent software you should be able to make almost any image look crystal clear and still keep it under 50K. It takes practice and some software knowledge but on the other hand, a 50K picture is within reason (barely) for a dial-up.

Where you really want those megapixels is in printing and in having better raw data to do your editing off of. But your final web presentation doesn't need to big that big simply because the bandwidth isn't always there.

I use Photoshop 6 to resize all my photos.

The average size of a photo I take with my 3MegaPixal camera is about 1.2M.

After I resize it down to 300-500 pixels wide and lower the image quality a bit the size of the photo is about 50-80K.

I to have dial-up service and I have to admit that it is a bummer when the photo on a page is over 200K.

This is a case not for bigger .jpg files but for .png support.

If it's a map it's likely that the number of colors are minimal and they're uniform. Because of that 8 bit .png images are probably going to be better detailed and a lot smaller. PNG has better compression that gif, less patent problems, and when done at 8 bit (which is the same resolution as gifs) are almost always much smaller in size.

I'm all for image quality, but what is the advantage of 250K images?

For some of us that are stuck with slow dial-up connections one heck of a long wait time for the picture to down load. And not much gained in what I see. Large pictures viewed on computer monitors gain very little. Large pictures printed on large paper, now that's a different story.

dial up what's that?

If it's a map it's likely that the number of colors are minimal and they're uniform. Because of that 8 bit .png images are probably going to be better detailed and a lot smaller. PNG has better compression that gif, less patent problems, and when done at 8 bit (which is the same resolution as gifs) are almost always much smaller in size.

You're absolutely correct on all counts. But browser support ain't there .... IE6.x still won't render and alpha channel properly. PNG is just another great idea whose time has yet to come. People use GIF because it works and the patent issues haven't been pushed to user level enforcement ... if GIF usage were pursued the way RIAA pursues mp3 downloaders, PNG would have been adopted a long time ago.

Just my $0.02

For transparency, yes there are problems, but since were talking about maps, transparency really isn't an issue anyway. For non-transparent images support has been good enough for me and a number of comic strips. For animation and transparency, gif is probably still the way to go.

You're absolutely correct on all counts. But browser support ain't there .... IE6.x still won't render and alpha channel properly. PNG is just another great idea whose time has yet to come. People use GIF because it works and the patent issues haven't been pushed to user level enforcement ... if GIF usage were pursued the way RIAA pursues mp3 downloaders, PNG would have been adopted a long time ago.

Just my $0.02

Actually, the compression patent that hogtied .gif files has expired and should no longer be an issue.

To answer the original question, we do plan to have a personal gallery area where users can see their personal photos, edit them, and make them available for view in their gallery (or not).

In addition, I personally would like to see it so eventually we can store the original image for you. However I am not happy with the current storage mechanism for images, so we need to rethink how we store them before we can allow a feature for larger images.

For those who request that images are smaller for dial-up users, the thumbnails and display size images will remain. It would be an additional "original" type that would allow for larger sizes. A dial up user would know far in advance whether they should download a particular image.