Urban Exploration And Geocaching

Panic!

I was reading one of the posts here and noticed a refrence to Weird New Jersey. I was wondering if anyone else combines Urban Exploration with geocahing? Urban Exploration is the exploration of abandoned buildings, storm water drains, college tunnels, bunkers, transit tunnels and other places you normally should not be.

Also, I don't suppose people would know the coordinates to some of the places I visited during my overseas trip in 2003? Feel free to take a look at the site http://www.urbanadventure.org/2003/2002tri...02worldtrip.htm and let me know if you have locations for any of those sites. I'm particuarly looking for locations to places in the US like the Cincinnati Subway, Jersy City's Cedar Street Subway, Manteno funny farm etc.

Cheers, Panic.

Hi. I live like 2 miles or so from there. If you don't need exact ones use these:

N 41° 36.654 W 087° 40.286. Those are from the Goodbye Hollywood cache that I used the mall for. If you want to see my pics I took (from the outside I had the whole family along so didn't want to go in) look for it on August 16, 2003 on the cache page.

Don't think too many around here are into that type of activity. I have been looking into it tho, sounds interesting. There was a discussion on it a while ago, you might be able to find it if you do a search.

Edited by Corp Of Discovery

I am an AVID Weird NJ reader/researcher... I have made a few contributions. I grewup in Collingswood, NJ and Turnersville, NJ. Moved out of the house and lived in Woodbury, NJ. I then moved out to Glenside and Royslyn, PA. I still work in Cherry Hill, NJ (on the banks of Cooper River).

I am planning on using two contributions I have made to the magazine as virtual caches. The last places I have investigated were the abandoned buildings located at Fort Hancock on Sandy Hook... and I had taken a considerable amout of photographs in the Lambertville Highschool...

On the day that I was in the Lambertville HS... I also found my first cache... the Washingtons Crossing 1 cache.

infiltration is a great site too, if you're interested in this unique hobby. It's mostly Canadian though it has a large US client base, as well as some Europeans. My favorite thing about it is the large number of interesting articles and tutorials that it has on the subject.

Another interesting one is subciety although I don't think they will give you any information about where to explore. Check them out though, because there are some great pictures and stories.

I have started doing some Urban Exploration after being inspired by The Action Squad but I keep the two very seperate. Geocaching is very sensitive to trespassing and the such, and Urban Exploration already has a bad name. I have started putting together a website to chronicle the adventures of me and my crew.

I have been to couple of places in a way that can be labeled 'urban infiltration'. One I found when scouting for possible hiding places (naturally I didn't hide anything there), the other was just 'oh, an open door, let's see what's inside' -type of adventure in partially abandoned old factory.

Too bad I didn't have a digital camera back then. Now I actually DO have one... hmm.... :D

Urban exploration, OTOH, is not necessarily visiting places where you shouldn't be. Almost any abandoned place will do, and many of them, at least here in Finland, are on public land. I've visited many caches that are on old WWI or II trenches, and one cache of mine is hidden in an area where there are ruins of an old Roman style spa, build before WWII and later forgotten. Shhh...it's supposed to be a surprise to the finders so don't tell anyone... :)

Someone pointed us towards this article while we were in the chatroom yesterday. I'm not sure what the answer is other than make sure you've got a good cover story when you're caught. :unsure:

The few sites I've visited here all say to be forthright on what you're doing. The article said they were evasive. That and the night goggle is probably what landed them in jail for a few days until they could be completely checked out.

I have started doing some Urban Exploration after being inspired by The Action Squad but I keep the two very seperate. Geocaching is very sensitive to trespassing and the such, and Urban Exploration already has a bad name. I have started putting together a website to chronicle the adventures of me and my crew.

In russia they've found a way to combine urban exploration with the geocache puzzle hunting game: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8309999.stm