Caching Tools Of The Trade

Halden

- 1 pair good Boots - 1 set Clothing - 1 gps - 5 packs spare batteries - 1 cell phone - 2 maps - 1 compass - 1 combination knife and multi-purpose tool - 1 hat - 1 .45 automatic - 2 pairs nomex gloves - 2 boxes ammunition - 200 feet rope - 4 days concentrated emergency rations - 1 machete - 1 chainsaw, if the machete isn't sufficient - 3 gallons extra gas for the chainsaw - 3 handheld land mobile radios - 1 drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills. - 1 laser range finder - 2 towels - 6 packs m&ms or skittles, as trail mix - 1 miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible - 100 dollars in rubles - 1 compound bow - 1 quiver of 40 arrows - 100 dollars in gold - 1 water bottle, or camelback (or both) - 9 packs of chewing gum - 1 blood chit - 8 ounces ground coffee - carabiners: 20 aluminum, 10 steel - 1 propane lamp - 4 extra thorium mantles for lamp - 2 pounds extra propane - 1 pair snowshoes - 10 packs waterproof matches - 200 feet of 550# parachute cord - 1 signal mirror - 1 issue of prophylactics - 3 combination smoke grenade/signal flares, and pack of gyro jets - 3 flashbangs - 3 lipsticks - 1 bottle SPF 50 sunscreen - 1 emergency eye patch - 1 gas mask and 4 extra filters - 2 grease pencils - 1 stapler - 3 pairs of nylon stockings - 1 set of car keys - 1 sun dial in case my watch breaks - 1 waterproof notebook - 1 sewing kit and extra buttons - 1 knife sharpener - 1 set sunglasses - 1 whistle - 1 magnifying glass - 1 scientific calculator - 2 plastic bags - 1 slingshot - 50 ball bearings for slingshot ammo - 1 headlamp - 1 tent - 1 field cooking set - 1 shortwave radio - 1 portable TV - 20 cough drops - 1 parka - and 1 safety pin.

Do you really feel you need 2 boxes of ammo? I think your going overboard with that one.

Ohhhhhh. Darn I don't have a garment bag.  I guess I can't geocache. 

Now for an ON topic post:

pink tutu and... what?.. doesn't everyone wear a pink tutu all the time?  C'mon next you're gonna tell me you don't skip through the park playing your accordion.  Geez!    :(

Around here the pink tutu is reserved for the NGA GOTM. According to the Nevada Geocachers Association by- laws, " The geocacher designated by popular vote and arbitrary decision of the board of review as Geocacher Of The Month (GOTM) will, whenever participating in any geocaching related activity, including but not limited to; reading cache pages, hunting caches, logging finds, browsing the NGA, or any other geocaching related forum wear the official GOTM pink tutu and diamond tiara." By concensus we decided that many members should wear the tutu in addition to thier normal(?) duds.

I made some of that up, we don't have any by-laws, or board of review. Many of our members really shouldn't wear just the tutu though.

:D

One thing I think we all agree on, everybody looks good in a diamond tiar, in spite of the fact that it was recently discovered to be paste.

And I like the accordian idea, lots better than the tuba I was going to suggest.

- 1 pair good Boots - 1 set Clothing - 1 gps - 5 packs spare batteries - 1 cell phone - 2 maps - 1 compass - 1 combination knife and multi-purpose tool - 1 hat - 1 .45 automatic - 2 pairs nomex gloves - 2 boxes ammunition - 200 feet rope - 4 days concentrated emergency rations - 1 machete - 1 chainsaw, if the machete isn't sufficient - 3 gallons extra gas for the chainsaw - 3 handheld land mobile radios - 1 drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills. - 1 laser range finder - 2 towels - 6 packs m&ms or skittles, as trail mix - 1 miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible - 100 dollars in rubles - 1 compound bow - 1 quiver of 40 arrows - 100 dollars in gold - 1 water bottle, or camelback (or both) - 9 packs of chewing gum - 1 blood chit - 8 ounces ground coffee - carabiners: 20 aluminum, 10 steel - 1 propane lamp - 4 extra thorium mantles for lamp - 2 pounds extra propane - 1 pair snowshoes - 10 packs waterproof matches - 200 feet of 550# parachute cord - 1 signal mirror - 1 issue of prophylactics - 3 combination smoke grenade/signal flares, and pack of gyro jets - 3 flashbangs - 3 lipsticks - 1 bottle SPF 50 sunscreen - 1 emergency eye patch - 1 gas mask and 4 extra filters - 2 grease pencils - 1 stapler - 3 pairs of nylon stockings - 1 set of car keys - 1 sun dial in case my watch breaks - 1 waterproof notebook - 1 sewing kit and extra buttons - 1 knife sharpener - 1 set sunglasses - 1 whistle - 1 magnifying glass - 1 scientific calculator - 2 plastic bags - 1 slingshot - 50 ball bearings for slingshot ammo - 1 headlamp - 1 tent - 1 field cooking set - 1 shortwave radio - 1 portable TV - 20 cough drops - 1 parka - and 1 safety pin.

And that's for 1/1 caches in suburban parks. You should see what he takes when he heads out for a tough cache :(

Prophylactics? Which is better for geocaching, ribbed or non-ribbed?

Flashbangs grenades? Well, I guess they do keep the skeeters away.

:D

WOW! Most of you guys are SERIOUS! :o I don't usually carry that much on a weekend hiking trip with our scouts. I admire you cause my backpack for scout weekends nearly kills me.

I don't post frequently but figured I would since I seem so different. 90% of the time I carry my gps (coords downloaded from easy gps). No food, maps, compass, knives, or even cache printouts. Most of the time I figure the coords are all I need. Makes it more of a challenge. I dont like hints, cheats, etc and rarely read the logs. Sometimes it brings me to my knees when I can't find the cache since I didn't read something correctly or the last log would have told me it had evaporated. But I really don't care. I enjoy the hunt. If I miss it, oh well. Maybe I'll review it to see what I did wrong when I get home. I really don't care about the numbers. I just love to get out with just the basics (only coordinates). When I do score, it's major pride. Ocassionally I will bring an empty trash bag to TO. Most of the time I forget to put a trade item in my pocket so I just sign TNLN.

I have enjoyed reading what all of you guys carry with you. I guess in certain situations or climates I would carry more but for now I save that for the scout trips.

Happy Caching!

Of course I could stop using the coords and make it a real challenge! :lol:

Edited by Brer Rabbit

well...

usually I am carrying an army green Old Navy gadget bag. Inside you will find:

My Maggy

needlenose pliers

another needlenose plier with a factory bent nose

trading stuff for the caches

about 6 keyrings

batteries (spent)

batteries (fresh)

digital camera

a few snack bags (incase I find a logbook with a torn bag)

extra pens

extra logbooks

can't remember what else :lol:

I was carrying around a blackpack but there were too many pockets

In addition to the GPSr:

Digital Camera

Spare Batteries

Small Notebook

Pens/Pencils

Trash Bag

Cache Sheets

Topo Map (overlayed with cache & benchmark locations)

Compact Binoculars

Flashlight

Handiwipes

Small 1st Aid Kit

Cache Trade Items

Cell Phone

Compass

Gloves

Dry Socks

(depending on weather-hat, rain cape)

......and whatever else I think I'll need before heading out on the days hunt.

Triple A card. :lol:

And I looked in every lightpole in the parking lot while I waited for the tow truck.

Hey I might have found a micro that hadn't been approved yet and FTF is FTF.

(Edit, added"... for the tow truck", why do you guys do this? never seen it before.)

Edited by rusty_tlc

We don't take a whole lot with us. I don't see the need to wear a backpack for going a mile or so. If we can't carry it or put it in our pockets it stays in the truck.

On an ordinary day.

1. GPS

2. Cache Sheets

3. Digital Camera

4. Cell Phone

5. Amateur Radio HT crossbanded through the mobile on a local repeater.

6. Pens

7. Trade Items

6. A Wisconsin Atlas (When in Wisconsin of Course :huh: )

7. Water if a long walk (And I mean a long walk)

In the winter we need to add boots to that list I guess.

If going out of town for a day or so we usually take a laptop to log finds and check cache listings with a cell phone.

Edited by pwb

I don't pack nearly as heavy as most folks here, even for ones that go for a bit of a walk. I bring:

GPSr

Cache page

Stamp

Pen

Extra Batteries

Trade Items/ TBs

Cell Phone

Camera (sometimes)

I cache in a pretty raw way, see the coords on the GPSr, see the cache page, make them match. :huh:

My dad has assembled a wonderful emergency bucket that we put in the trunk of the GeoJeep (our name for our official geocaching transport vechile). Its got everything from a hammer to a toothbrush to chapstick to a novel. He even made a little graph to organize the contents (that, too is in the bucket).

If you don't count the stuff in the vehicle, and only the stuff I actually carry with me while hunting, I take along:

walking stick (great for poking in holes to hear thunk instead of either thud or Hissss)

GPS

printout (with hints NOT decoded)

cell phone or ham radio if out of cell service range

small first aid kit

3 pens (one to leave if cache is missing one)

3 flashlights

pair of gloves (slash proof ones, after having been severly cut by broken glass last year)

compass

whistle

epipen for when I get stung by bees, wasps, hornets, and all those neighborhood watchdogs

Things I really should be carrying since I've needed them several times:

water

toilet paper

eye glasses cleaner

dry clothes

exchange items

small food items

map

insect repellant

Hmmm... I believe in the Persian proverb Colin Fletcher likes to quote :"Fortune is infatuated with the prepared."

As a backpacker and an ex-Girl Scout (as well as a worrier) with thousands of miles hiked, we carry:

GPS with coords downloaded

daypack with rain cover

T.P. in a plastic bag

first aid kit - mine own collection

extra pens

plastic garbage bags

heater-seats (esp. when it's wet/cold out)

bag of gorp

bottle or two of water

some light weight rope

flashlight

extra batteries for GPS and flashlight

maps, if I have them

printed out cache sheets (no decryptions, please)

space blanket

gloves, hats, scarves (if weather decides)

bug repelent, but haven't used it in a long time

bandana/kleenex

swag, extra zip-loc bags, extra log book

PLUS:

a big dose of common sense and respect for the topography we will encounter

If it is "civilized" and not backcountry:

GPS, swag to stuff into pockets, printed out sheets

Can anyone recommend a GPS unit for a beginner?

There are numerous other threads on this topic with some very good information. A simple search will reveal a wealth of information.

However, that being said, I started with a 2 year old Magellan 310 and quickly realized just how important the 3rd decimal place of accuracy is. I researched several Magellan and Garmin units and went to local retail houses to get a hands-on feel for them all. I finally settled on the Garmin eTrex Legend (blue one), and have not regretted it yet!

Welcome to this wonderful hobby!

Just a question to you gun-totin' types. What do you figure you all are gonna do with your weapons? :lol:

PS: I have a pistol permit and have more firearms than people in my home, so I'm not "anti-" ... just curious.

I have pretty much always carried a gun of some type in the wild. I've only had to use it on a couple of occasions. The one that sticks in my mind is the rabid skunk that was much more agile on the slope of a hill than I was, and was determined to either make me break my neck running away, or to spray me. I tried to get away for about 5 minutes before I realized the futility in my efforts, and drilled a .357 hole through his tiny head.....before I realized he was upwind from me, and I got a good dose of "Eau de Skunk" cologne anyway. :o

Just a question to you gun-totin' types. What do you figure you all are gonna do with your weapons? 

PS: I have a pistol permit and have more firearms than people in my home, so I'm not "anti-" ... just curious.

If I had it my way, it will never even come out of the holster. And if it works out like that, than its just that much more of insurance. So what I am I gonna do with it? Keep it clean, loaded and on my person. It makes sure I get home at night. Plus I am going into law enforcement. Which brings me to somthing that happend to a friend of mine. Just about a month after getting his CCW he was working in a bad area and a guy from across the street just started shooting at him. My buddy jumped off the roof he was on to the backside of the house, and called police. By the time he looked back out to where the shooter was, he was gone, just shell casings left. Now had the guys came around behind the house where my buddy took cover, he would have been able to defend himself. Those that don't carry, wel, your family might have been making funeral arrangement in the following days. Its a tool of last resort, and a tool that evens the playing field. I pray to God every day I never even remove it from its holster. But if I do, I pray to God I am the one that goes home to my family that night.

Ken

I have pretty much always carried a gun of some type in the wild.  I've only had to use it on a couple of occasions.  The one that sticks in my mind is the rabid skunk that was much more agile on the slope of a hill than I was, and was determined to either make me break my neck running away, or to spray me.  I tried to get away for about 5 minutes before I realized the futility in my efforts, and drilled a .357 hole through his tiny head.....before I realized he was upwind from me, and I got a good dose of "Eau de Skunk" cologne anyway. :lol:

Yeah, there are some people who always raise a stink and then there are those where the stink just seems to follow them around. :o

Makes me glad to be caching in Canada.

Yeah, canada has a billion dollar deficit, and higher violent crime rate to show for their recent gun control efforts, that would make me feel at ease too. Infact it does! Now all the crooks in Michigan know where to find unarmed victims. Now they just need ten quarters to get across the bridge. Michigan alone has a 18% lower violent crime rate and some 11 million dollars more of income from the 100 dollars it costs for law abiding citizens to get their CCW permits. But look on the brite side, if your are wounded by a guy trying to steal your wallet, you have free health care!