Caps For Pvc Caches

mustanglx

I seen several posts about using PVC pipe to make a cache. The major issue with using PVC is the type of cap to use that allows easy access but also keep the cache waterproof.

Well I know in the past I mentioned it but I finally went out and bought some, PVC Pipe Test Plugs.

Their original purpose is to alow plumbers to seal off open ends in the plumbing system of a building so they can pressure test it for leaks, but I know of another use.

The ones that I found are at HomeDepot and sell for $3.97 for the 3" and $4.97 for the 4". If you look you will have the same or more rapped up in a standard clean out cap and female threaded part.

The nice thing about the ones that I found is that they need no tools to remove or install to make a waterproof seal. There is a wing nut on the top that you turn which compresses a rubber seal that expands against the inside on the PVC pipe.

I hope this helps anyone out there that is planning on making a PVC Cache.

107319_1200.jpg

107319_1300.jpg

Edited by mustanglx

Yes you can buy an ammo can for less than 5 bucks but you can hide a PVC Pipe easier.

I am making one that is going to be covered with leafy cammo tape and mossy oak cammo tape, the kind hunters use to hide the outline of deer stands and what not, so that I can place it out in the open and still be tough to find!

I don't know about your hiding skills but I think it will be tough to hide a square ammo can out in the open, theres just not much that is square in nature.

Don't get me wrong ammo cans are great, its just that everyone expects an ammo can or tupperware container when they go look for a cache, this is something a little different.

The only downside to the PVC pipe cache is that here in PA we can't place a pipe cache on State Forest Lands. :rolleyes: But there is plenty of other places.

That true though by the time you buy the PVC and the cap you could buy a couple of ammo boxes. Buy these are cool for a change of pace.

Maybe where you are, but in The Great White North we don't use as many bullets as our neighbors to the south so ammo boxes are not as readily available and certainly not as cheap. This is a very interesting solution - I'll have to hit the local Home Depot on the weekend...

That true though by the time you buy the PVC and the cap you could buy a couple of ammo boxes.  Buy these are cool for a change of pace.

Maybe where you are, but in The Great White North we don't use as many bullets as our neighbors to the south so ammo boxes are not as readily available and certainly not as cheap. This is a very interesting solution - I'll have to hit the local Home Depot on the weekend...

Good point. I didn't think about that. You'd be amazed, I go into my local Army Surplus store and there are hundreds of them lining the wall. You could still buy them at cheaperthandirt.com can't you?

I seen several posts about using PVC pipe to make a cache. The major issue with using PVC is the type of cap to use that allows easy access but also keep the cache waterproof.

Well I know in the past I mentioned it but I finally went out and bought some, PVC Pipe Test Plugs.

Great minds think alike! I'm setting up my first cache this w/e and plan on doing the same thing. I have tons of ABS and PVC scraps here at work, all I need is the plug. If I keep the pipe short enough, a solid cap on one end with the removable plug at the other, everything should be easy to get at.

As far as ammo cans being cheaper, its about materials you're familiar with and whats at hand. I'm in Home Depot 2-3x per week and have a few aisles memorized.

I made one up here quickly this evening. I cut the 3" PVC to 9" and then put a cap on the one end and the test plug in the other.

One of the nice features is that if you make it and find that it is a little to long you just cut some of the pipe off to the right length. No need to buy a new fitting and reglue.

Here is a picture of the one that I made in about 5 min. The overall length is about 11". I can just get my hand inside the 3" pipe, if you have big hands or want more storage room I would lean toward using 4" PVC.

107319_1400.jpg

dadgum! :)

I just made my first PVC cache about a month ago.....I used the screw plug...

yeah...it was quite expensive for the whole thing...

The worst part is, I made it too long. Now I have to cut it in half, shorten one end, then buy and glue in a splice fitting, and then repaint it.... :bad:

If I had one of these caps, it would have no problem just to trim the end and be done with it... :P

Oh well...live & learn...

Couple of comments I thought of reading this thread:

(1) Easier to hide and make less of a "pipe bomb threat" to accidental finders if you camo-paint it.

(2) I'd be concerned about the end cap wing nut, and its bolt, rusting when wet.

FWIW...

-Dave R. in Biloxi

I found all black test plugs at Menards that also used a hard plastic threaded bolt and wingnut instead of metal.

I did not like the bolt and wingnut sticking out of the end, so I added a piece of connector over the open end. This adds protection to the test plug bolt and wingnut.

A little camo duct tape, and you have a great container.

1579610_400.jpg

Edited by cachew nut
On the other hand, ammo boxes don't look like pipe bombs

Heck these days anything that dosen't look right could be a bomb. Maybe the shoes you are wearing are a bomb. :P

If you don't cammo it enough it may look strange and draw attention, heck even an ammo can lying in a field would draw attention. It is all in how you hide it so that the noncacher doesn't stumble upon it by accident.

I think most cachers who came upon a cache in a cammo'ed PVC pipe would know it is a cache and not a bomb. Who in the world would place a pipe bomb in the middle of the woods??

I am like Dan-oh you work with what you are fimilar with and have around the house. The nearest army surplus is a whole lot farther away than HomeDepot.

I think that if you stay away from the Oatey brand you can get test plugs cheaper.

Just a thought but test plugs don't have to be used just with PVC pipe. I have a cache that isn't PVC, I use a test plug to seal it. Not sure about rust, it's been pretty dry in the Sierras this summer. I guess I'll find out after we get some snow.

I bored a hole into a tree limb with a 2 1/5" forstener bit and sealed the opening with a test plug then stuck that end under a fallen tree.

A couple of points:

No one could confuse it with a pipe bomb.

It is already camo since I picked it up from the forest.

It drove a couple of local cachers crazy. :P

......................... Not sure about rust, it's been pretty dry in the Sierras this summer. I guess I'll find out after we get some snow.

We got snow now!!! Days like this remind me that I live in a vacation destination.

I'm going to try to visit my cache this weekend. We'll find out how dry it is.

;)

We got snow now!!! Days like this remind me that I live in a vacation destination.

We got snow, too! More like a blizzard that blew all the snow away to Oklahoma. Someone found my cache the day before and reminded me why I need to check on it. It's actually just an old pickle jar my nieces used last summer to catch lightning bugs, so it has holes in the lid. I've got a new container and have been meaning to replace it, but just haven't done it. Not worried about the snow getting into it, however, as it would take a doozey of a blizzard to blow snow up into the hiding spot.

Back on topic, sorta: I've been working on making a "hollow log" cache as was mentioned in a previous post, only it's going to be about 6" in diameter. I've just been struggling to get it attached to my lathe to hollow out one end and leave the other end looking natural. Think what I'll end up doing is cutting the log, glue one end to the faceplate, hollow out the other and make a cap at the same time, then reglue the cut end back on and camoflage the cut with bark and sawdust. Time consuming? Yes. Worth the effort? Absolutely!

I found a 4" forstner bit when I cleaned the garage last weekend, this got me thinking again. Last time I clamped the log with a really big jorgensen clamp then clamped the clamp to my drill press table. Then, over a period of a couple of nights I bored a hole about 10" or 12" deep. I had to take a lot of breaks cause the drill motor kept getting hot, funny that huh?

Next time I am just going to bore down 1 1/2" to 2" for a seal surface. Then use a speed bit and make a bunch of holes, then just clean up with the forstner.

Lacking a lathe or drill press you could just rough the whole hole with a speed bit and insert a PVC pipe w/ cap, (whew back on topic).

Time consuming? Yes. Worth the effort? Absolutely!

Based on the comments I've had I with my first hollow log cache don't think you will regret the time spent. ;)

One more thing, I found a pencil that looks like a stick at the Trees of Mystery, I'm going to put in my cache so people can use it to sign the log. <groan>

I have placed two caches that were 'naturals'. I wish this thread had come along before I did though. I could well be tempted to do another one in the light of what I am learning here.

Both of mine are gone now, generally beaten by the weather although the second one finally fell to destructive muggles.

Anyone who doubts the rewards from doing such a cache, (they are a lot of work) should read the earlier logs from these below.....

LOG This One

Don't Let It Stump You!

Back on topic, sorta: I've been working on making a "hollow log" cache as was mentioned in a previous post, only it's going to be about 6" in diameter.

I have been intrigued with this idea for a long time, but have had doubts about how well the log/limb would stay in one piece and not begin to crack apart from weathering. It gets pretty wet here in the Northwest. Plus the problem with keeping the bark on it, but I guess that really isn't too important.

I have been intrigued with this idea for a long time, but have had doubts about how well the log/limb would stay in one piece and not begin to crack apart from weathering. It gets pretty wet here in the Northwest. Plus the problem with keeping the bark on it, but I guess that really isn't too important.

I think the cracking and weathering are part of the cache's natural camo, as well as the loss of bark. It would take a bit more upkeep, and could quite presumably be glued back together if split too bad. Having done woodworking for the better part of my life, I'm pretty much attuned to the properties of wood, both in nature and in the shop. Each piece has it's own little quirks, and rather than fight them, it's best to work with them.

One more thing, I found a pencil that looks like a stick at the Trees of Mystery, I'm going to put in my cache so people can use it to sign the log. <groan>

Yeah, one clumsy cacher drops that in the forest, and it's gone forever! Kind of like the other day I was in the local sporting goods store, and they're selling camo wallets....ok. First of all, what are you going to be doing with your wallet while out hunting that it needs to be camo, and second, when that camo wallet falls out of your pocket from your perch 40ft up a tree in a deer stand, how are you gonna find it?

Yeah, one clumsy cacher drops that in the forest, and it's gone forever!  ........... when that camo wallet falls out of your pocket from your perch 40ft up a tree in a deer stand, how are you gonna find it?

Maybe I should put the pencil on a string? :lol:

Some would say that Bubba deserves to lose his wallet, shooting those pretty little deer. I say pass the salt. :o

Kind of like the other day I was in the local sporting goods store, and they're selling camo wallets....ok. First of all, what are you going to be doing with your wallet while out hunting that it needs to be camo, and second, when that camo wallet falls out of your pocket from your perch 40ft up a tree in a deer stand, how are you gonna find it?

It's to protect yourself from all those thieving deer! After all, if you suddenly have the urge for a cappucino when a vendor comes through while you're in the tree stand and whip out your wallet to pay for it, you don't want the deer to see it and try to snag your wallet!

Right? :huh:

Yes you can buy an ammo can for less than 5 bucks but you can hide a PVC Pipe easier.

I am making one that is going to be covered with leafy cammo tape and mossy oak cammo tape, the kind hunters use to hide the outline of deer stands and what not, so that I can place it out in the open and still be tough to find!

I don't know about your hiding skills but I think it will be tough to hide a square ammo can out in the open, theres just not much that is square in nature.

Don't get me wrong ammo cans are great, its just that everyone expects an ammo can or tupperware container when they go look for a cache, this is something a little different.

The only downside to the PVC pipe cache is that here in PA we can't place a pipe cache on State Forest Lands. :huh: But there is plenty of other places.

Not a PVC pipe with a red fitting that says "stand clear when in use". You would put it in a park and the bomb squad would find your fingerprints and DNA on it, then it's location would make the news as you do the perp walk on the 6 oclock news.

PVC looks more dangerous than a well labeled ammo can.

Here's the proof!

Access denied! Gotta be a member

Sorry, didn't realize you had to be a member... The thread at mi-geocaching.org was that someone had a multi set-up with pvc containers for the first stages and an ammo box for the last. Someone stumbled onto one of the pvc stages and the bomb squad blew it up then notified the cache owner, they are looking into it further, may be repercussions from this. This just happened in the past few days.

Sorry, didn't realize you had to be a member... The thread at mi-geocaching.org was that someone had a multi set-up with pvc containers for the first stages and an ammo box for the last. Someone stumbled onto one of the pvc stages and the bomb squad blew it up then notified the cache owner, they are looking into it further, may be repercussions from this. This just happened in the past few days.

Oh, Wonderful!! This sport will be history sooner than later!

Rich