Multi Caches

The Birds

Just thought I'd try to stir things a little with this, my second ever post!

It does seem a little distorted that all caches qualify for 1 point (or log). We have done a couple of multicaches that have taken nearly all day and comprise perhaps five or six locations, yet have only "bagged" one cache for all this work! :rolleyes: Indeed Nattybooshka's excellent "Polar Hamsters 1" took us four nights and an afternoon! Whilst the Crinkleys superb "West Penwith Circles" finished our holiday in fine style. Each of these had challenging "finds" for each part - All for one log!! - We're not really complaining - we like multi's best. Perhaps some cachers leave multicaches alone for this reason. What do others think? :blink::unsure:

Les (from the Birds)

(It would boost our measly 60 something logs in over two years!! :bad::D )

Different cache types appeal to different people. I am happy to do a multi-cache if I have the time. They are great if you have the time. I find that if I do a multi-cache, it takes my focus off the final find - I can tend to be a bit *too* focussed on the find and not the enjoyable walk. So I look on multi-caches as being a "step back & look at the pretty flowers" kind of cache. The complete opposite to a cache & dash. I don't think they should have more points; if we get into that kind of territory, then we could start arguing that the more inaccessible ones should have more points, eg the one in the Roaches which needs climbing equipment. One find = one find, I think.

<snip> eg the one in the Roaches which needs climbing equipment. One find = one find, I think.

how I would love to get that one off the top of my list :unsure::blink:

I have enjoyed the 3 multis I have done. think they are a little more satisfying. and as quimbly says one log will always be one log :rolleyes:

Edited by DEEGO

Yay for multi-caches! I love finding 'em and I love setting 'em! :unsure: I realise they're not to everyones cup of tea (aaaaand cue Woodsmoke... :rolleyes:) but IMHO it's not about the numbers, it's about quality of experience. As quimbly says, it's a kinda step back and look at the pretty flowers thing: for my sins I'm paid to sit in a busy office all day where "everything has to be done yesterday" occurs frequently... I therefore prefer to take my time and enjoy the walk than hit 15 in day or whatever the record is... OK, yes, I've had my mad moments where I've burned through several caches in one day: when I've done this I've often walked between the caches rather than drive, in effect like a big multi-cache! :blink:

I understand where you're coming from Les, but if you recieved more 'points' for multis then you'd probably have to have a tier system for other caches too. We have a few single caches which are 2-3 miles in total, they should maybe be worth more too?

I agree, it's a difficult call, but we're happy with the single point system. We're currently in the middle of a multi and will revisit it soon to finish it. That's fine since it isn't that far away, but I doubt I'd even think about trying one that wasn't nearby as I would probably have both time constraints and a lack of local knowledge.

I suppose the downside is more for the person who sets the multis. There aren't anywhere near the number of visitors compared to the other more easier ones, though the people who do get to them think they're pretty good.

I don't mind the concept of multi's per se, but I don't like ones that take a whole afternoon to do for no apparent reason.

I am happy to do (and set) what might be called minimultis, that is a cache that requires collecting several clues from a neighbourhood, but my preference here is that such treks take no more than 15 to 20 minutes to do. This means that a cache can get you to appreciate the centre of a village or the inside of a building (thus giving you the benefit of the local interest) without just being a trad single cache. My feeling is that multi's whose parts are miles apart could just as easily be separate caches in many cases and I have done a few of these where you end up wondering why this cache you are doing is a multi at all.

But having said all that, just occasionally a real cracker of a multi comes along, and the one that springs to my mind most readily, is 'Mission Impossible (beds)' which, although I sweated over it for a whole weekend, was worth it in the end!

Many multi caches would not be allowed as individual caches, like our Polar Hamsters #1. This cache was going to be a series, but thanks to the guidelines and a quick discussion with Eckington, it became something much better, IMHO. It was found pretty quickly, then got a DNF and then sat there for a month waiting for visitor #3. In a way this was upsetting when we thought of the trouble we went to with this one... but then again it's not designed for doing on a nice day. It consists of a series of 10 quick grabs (9 of which you can park right next to) and then the cache, so was really designed for those days where the good old Peak District weather makes regular caching a less attractive option.

Our favourite caches done to date have been multis. We have yet to do a multi cache that wouldn't be on a list of caches that we'd recommend. Honourable mentions go to the local ones to us by the Birds (2 nice walks around the Glossop) and Saddle-up Pale Lady and Macc Forest Monster further down Macclesfield way. All of these were great fun, and we wouldn't swap the point we got for them for 4 or 5 regular caches. Another favourite was Puzzled Geocacher by Waldo. This is up near junction 36 of the M6. Each stage meant finding some information, getting to an internet linked PC, solving a puzzle and then on to the next location. As it is 70 miles from home but in an area we visit regularly it took us about 3 months to complete.... it was so good we just had to place a TB in it for the next finder to grab.

We're trying to place a variety of caches round here... micros, regular, multis... and we are planning somewhere around 20 new caches before the spring, we also have some evil ideas for new multi caches, but we hope that they are as enjoyable as they will be challenging.

As for points, well the difficulty and terrain ratings do give you such points over on G:UK and most multi caches have their dificulty rating up, so maybe that would be the fair measurement of caches? Assuming that the terrain ratings were real of course!

Edited by NattyBooshka
I understand where you're coming from Les, but if you recieved more 'points' for multis then you'd probably have to have a tier system for other caches too. We have a few single caches which are 2-3 miles in total, they should maybe be worth more too?

No. The terrain and difficulty values allow for the differences (assuming they're applied properly). It should be simple - you find a box you log a box. I stay away from true multis - but each to its own.

If stats were important to people then multis could be individual caches in their own right with part of the location to another 'final' cache hidden in each. I'm sure I've seen some of these amongst the listings. Are they still okay with Ecky and Lacky from an approval point of view?

For the sake of our own two multis, I wouldn't actually mind giving out the coordinates of the final caches via Email but it would be a shame to cut short a nice walk.

Hey NattyB...... pleased to see that the devious streak hasn't been knocked out of you by baseball bats yet ! :rolleyes:

Andy

I have two complex puzzle multi-caches and when I set them a long time ago I did think that the amount of effort that was needed to find the clues and solve the puzzles warrented more than one smiley face.

So the caches are split in two. One for finding the clues and one for solving the puzzle and finding the cache at the end. No one has ever commented on it and I'm still happy with the way I did it.

I would certainly do the same again in future caches subject to approval.

As always my attitude is to do whatever you feel most comfortable with. It is after all only a game. :rolleyes:

Alex..

If stats were important to people then multis could be individual caches in their own right with part of the location to another 'final' cache hidden in each. I'm sure I've seen some of these amongst the listings. Are they still okay with Ecky and Lacky from an approval point of view?

The 'Grockles' have recently placed just such a series. Four individual caches that each contain 1/4 of the co-ordinates for a fifth 'bonus' cache. Rules forbid me from 'advertising' the 'Gumbo' series so I won't name them :rolleyes::unsure:

The 'Grockles' have recently placed just such a series. Four individual caches that each contain 1/4 of the co-ordinates for a fifth 'bonus' cache. Rules forbid me from 'advertising' the 'Gumbo' series so I won't name them  :bad:  :D

Come on now moderators, (whoever you are), surely this cannot be allowed?

B):lol::mad::huh:

I agree!

I hereby impose a "fine" of at least four pints of finest real ale to be paid to both Ecky and myself at our mutual convenience.

:unsure::blink::o:(:rolleyes:

I agree!

I hereby impose a "fine" of at least four pints of finest real ale to be paid to both Ecky and myself at our mutual convenience.

:blink::bad::rolleyes::unsure::D

Objection, yer 'onour.... I wuz only obeyin' orders!!! I respectfully request the right to appeal. That sentence is much to severe. There's no way I going anywhere near your 'mutual convenience'. Yukkkk

I agree!

:)  :bad:  :bad:  :bad:  :bad:

Objection, yer 'onour.... I wuz only obeyin' orders!!! I respectfully request the right to appeal. That sentence is much to severe. There's no way I going anywhere near your 'mutual convenience'. Yukkkk

I've just got in from MY "mutual convenience" and there wre no pint waiting :bad::P:):P