Night Cache

Orti_

and "After Dark" isn't looking very promising (lot's of DNF)

....is currently sitting in my garage after being retrieved from the Forestry Commission!

I think that doing any cache in the dark can be quite challenging - we have one in a graveyard & one in a place that daytime cachers have found creepy, but if you are looking for specific night caches then, yes, over to Dan & Pid!!

Sarah xx

Interesting that 'After Dark', which is/was a members' only cache, was taken. I wonder whether the ranger became a paying member of gc.com. It rather refutes the idea that members' only caches are safe from muggles.

It would seem that he did. Still, at least the cache is in safe keeping, which indicates the FC preferred to use fair means over foul to protect their "turf". Fair play to them I say: could've just ended up in a skip... wonder if they'll let it be re-instated? P'raps not, I think there are some funny rules about being in the forest at night, but I can't find 'em.

It's also worth noting that night-caching is discouraged on Hampshire County Council land, as per their geocaching guidelines developed earlier this year.

When I say discouraged, of course I don't mean "...or you vill be shot!" I simply mean discouraged.

So you most likely won't find any down this neck of the woods. Apart from the two mentioned above, I don't know of any specifically designed night-caches, but I can think of a few regular caches I've done at night that were extremely amusing once I'd got over the usual adrenalin rush caused by startled birds/baby deer/axe-weilding maniacs... :rolleyes: I should imagine quite a lot of caches round here would be quite fun at night...

Where's Dan 'n' Pid when you need 'em? :unsure::blink:

Edited by Omally
:unsure: Sorry I was working last night! Hi oa. I hope no one will class this as advertising since it is the answer to the question asked :blink: For a list of good night caches in Buckinghamshire visit http://www.buckscaching.co.uk and press on the big night caching link half way down the page. One you have found a couple you like the look of use the interactive map and the listings to get further details! Hope this helps and that you like scary caches! Don't forget a torch and a spare pair of pants :rolleyes:

Perhaps they don't want to be seen as advertising. :rolleyes:

Try this link for Dan n Pid's caches: Buckscaching

It might not be far enough south for you, it only seems that way to us in the dark northern reaches of the country. :unsure:

Edit two minutes later. Spoke too soon, or too late. Doh!

naffita

Edited by naffita
Interesting that 'After Dark', which is/was a members' only cache, was taken.  I wonder whether the ranger became a paying member of gc.com.  It rather refutes the idea that members' only caches are safe from muggles.

It would seem that he did. Still, at least the cache is in safe keeping, which indicates the FC preferred to use fair means over foul to protect their "turf". Fair play to them I say: could've just ended up in a skip... wonder if they'll let it be re-instated? P'raps not, I think there are some funny rules about being in the forest at night, but I can't find 'em.

... or perhaps a member passed on the co-ordinates to a FC ranger?

Haven't a clue how the ranger found the night cache, but it was among the caches that I retrieved from them and is currently sitting in my garage!

Incidently, all the caches that were found were located without the use of a GPS, but then I'm sure all the rangers have excellent map reading & conversion skills - would take me all day to do that!

The New Forest by-laws do state that there is no parking or overnight stays in any of the car parks and no parking in areas that are not designated car parks. They do patrol & if caught, moved on - not sure about any fines.

As part of the agreement with the GAGB and the FC, it was agreed that night caching would not be permitted within the New Forest. This will all be confirmed when we have the final agreement in our hands, and then we will be free to start caching around the NF, hopefully early in the New Year, but not at night!!! :rolleyes:

Sarah x

Haven't a clue how the ranger found the night cache, but it was among the caches that I retrieved from them and is currently sitting in my garage!

<snip>

Sarah x

Given the size of the New Forest it must have been an incredibly fortuitous piece of luck to have accidently 'stumbled' across the 'After Dark' subscriber only cache without prior knowledge of the starting co-ordinates.

Given the size of the New Forest it must have been an incredibly fortuitous piece of luck to have accidently 'stumbled' across the 'After Dark' subscriber only cache without prior knowledge of the starting co-ordinates.

A non-member can 'home in' on a members' only cache with successive searches on gc.com.

Well they must've been really keen to find it then :) .

I would have thought they'd have far better things to do with their time than hunting down a members only night cache - they weren't even going to be 1st finders - Woodsmoke where were you :bad: . I prefer my original 'conspiracy' theory - far more intriguing. Perhaps Mulder & Scully could come out of retirement and investigate this 'X' file :P, or maybe Channel 4 could make a whole new 'Mole' programme out of it ! :bad::bad: :bad:

Edited by Motley Crew

Thanks for the info about the Buckinghamshire caches. I checked them out, but they are not really what we are looking for. It's more the challenge to find the way to the cache with the help of a torch and reflective pins etc. :P (but if we can't find something around, we may as well go to Bucks and try one of these).

Yes, that's the archived Night Vision

.......which is another New Forest cache that is currently in my garage :)

Sarah x

Can you put the co-ords of your garage on the pages for all the repatriated caches you have? :P

We could then log 'em all at once - and I bet Woodsmoke would be the 1st finder :bad::bad::bad::bad:

I think that I should log them all as finds - mmm- would add another 17 to our list! :lol:

Sarah x

Go on - give us the co-ords of your garage so we can all log 17 more finds :ph34r:

Ah, but what about the caches that some of us may have already found? Can we re-log them 'cos they've changed location? :D

I think that I should log them all as finds - mmm- would add another 17 to our list! :ph34r:

Sarah x

Go on - give us the co-ords of your garage so we can all log 17 more finds :lol:

You must have a big garage. I don't have the maths for this but what is the smallest garage you can have so that all of the 17 caches abide by the 0.1 mile rule ??? :D

Andy

You must have a big garage. I don't have the maths for this but what is the smallest garage you can have so that all of the 17 caches abide by the 0.1 mile rule ???  :D

Andy

Well you can fit 16 caches into a square garage 278,784 square yards big. That leaves the 17th cache. Does the garage have to be a square or rectangle in shape? Is so then it has to be 371,712 square yards. Or just have the smaller garage and have a small thin bit extending the 0.1 miles to put the 17th cache at the end of. B):blink:;)

or thinking about it you could have a garage that is the width of a ammo box wide and 1.7 miles (0.1x17caches) long :ph34r::lol:

Edited by Mr & Mrs Hedgehog
You must have a big garage. I don't have the maths for this but what is the smallest garage you can have so that all of the 17 caches abide by the 0.1 mile rule ???  :D

Andy

Well you can fit 16 caches into a square garage 278,784 square yards big. That leaves the 17th cache. Does the garage have to be a square or rectangle in shape? Is so then it has to be 371,712 square yards. Or just have the smaller garage and have a small thin bit extending the 0.1 miles to put the 17th cache at the end of. B):blink:;)

or thinking about it you could have a garage that is the width of a ammo box wide and 1.7 miles (0.1x17caches) long :ph34r::lol:

Yes, but that's only true if the garage is less than 0.1 miles tall. A 529 foot tall garage would only be 0.85 miles long.

I think that I should log them all as finds - mmm- would add another 17 to our list! :D

Sarah x

Go on - give us the co-ords of your garage so we can all log 17 more finds B)

Ah, but what about the caches that some of us may have already found? Can we re-log them 'cos they've changed location? :ph34r:

Ah but they haven't changed location according to the web pages! Let's assume they were all washed away during the recent rains at ended up at the same place - Team Tates garage. Just get in there and sign the logs! :blink:

Alternatively let's put Team Tates garage forward to the BBC as the next Tardis :lol:

Just what is the problem with caching in the dark ?I have walked in the dark,run in the dark,mountain biked in the dark and done lots of very interesting things in the dark.In At this time of year we only see dark.In fact I am in the dark most of the time.Is there some law of the land that you cannot go outdoors in the dark?If you cannot see too well there is an invention Known as a "TORCH" which tends to help a lot and of course many gps,s have a backlight.So as long as this garage is within walking distance I will be visiting some dark night-----SOON!! :(:D

Hmmm, found our first “Night Cache” by accident today :(. Took some time to find the first part for GCH7R3 and we really needed a torch to finish this one. Nice experience (but still not the type of cache we were looking for).

Maybe we have to extend the search area, is there a active "Night Cache" in UK ????

Hmmm, found our first “Night Cache” by accident today :D. Took some time to find the first part for GCH7R3 and we really needed a torch to finish this one. Nice experience (but still not the type of cache we were looking for).

Maybe we have to extend the search area, is there a active "Night Cache" in UK ????

I do remember some talk of Either Mollinis Crew or Nawtcher putting in a night cache in Cornwall but don't know if they went ahead with it.

Night Vision was I think the first night only cache (ie could not be done in daylight) in the UK and it was a sad day for me when it was removed, as the work that goes into planning and siting a cache of this type is arduous but rewarding when you get to read the great comments from the finders.

I would love to do another one based on what I have learned from both this cache and from the one that Paul Blitz and Omally did for the HCC event. It would however have to be sited in a safe area with the approval of the landowner, and that rules out Hampshire and the New Forest area.

Night caches dont have to be scary, or need a torch for them. :D Please see the one I have just created = GCHBHO.

So if you are coming to Scotland.....

This is dangerously close to advertising (well actually it IS advertising :D ) which ain't allowed on GC.COM forums.

Can you take this sort of discussion onto the GCUK forum which has a section purely for advertising caches :DB)B)

Many thanks but no harm done.