Hypothetical Cache Idea

Pantalaimon

Here's an idea. I'm curious about what people think of it.

Let's say, hypothetically, I was planning a surprise party for a caching friend of mine. Let's also say that this surprise party was planned at a local restaurant/bar/pool hall/arcade/general-all-around-fun place, a place where all ages are welcome.

Now, because my hypothetical friend is a geocacher, I wanted to make his surprise party an Event Cache. My plan would be to have the cache released mere hours before the party, in the hopes that my hypothetical friend doesn't see the cache page and put two and two together.

The idea would be that the coordinates of the cache would take you to the front door of the establishment, and the web page would show a picture of my hypothetical friend. The cachers job would be to find their way to the coordinates, and then inside the building to find my hypothetical friend. They can then log the cache by finding my hypothetical friend, who would be forced to carry the cache around with him all night. There would be trade items, a log book, etc. And most likely, the cache would change from Event to Traditional after the night was over.

The idea is to have a different sort of Event Cache, and to have my hypothetical friend (who is not overly excited by Event Caches) meet geocachers he probably wouldn't otherwise meet.

What do people think? Can a Event Cache like this be pulled off? Should an Event Cache like this be approved? Do you see any problems with an Event Cache like this?

Seems ok to me as long as we don't have to "trash out" something on the poor guy. Are Events restricted from being at an establishment?

Heck, also give him a travel bug number and make him have to go caching with people so they can log him at a find.

Edited for additional thought.

Edited by TeamX40
Here's an idea. I'm curious about what people think of it.

Let's say, hypothetically, I was planning a surprise party for a caching friend of mine. Let's also say that this surprise party was planned at a local restaurant/bar/pool hall/arcade/general-all-around-fun place, a place where all ages are welcome.

Now, because my hypothetical friend is a geocacher, I wanted to make his surprise party an Event Cache. My plan would be to have the cache released mere hours before the party, in the hopes that my hypothetical friend doesn't see the cache page and put two and two together.

The idea would be that the coordinates of the cache would take you to the front door of the establishment, and the web page would show a picture of my hypothetical friend. The cachers job would be to find their way to the coordinates, and then inside the building to find my hypothetical friend. They can then log the cache by finding my hypothetical friend, who would be forced to carry the cache around with him all night. There would be trade items, a log book, etc. And most likely, the cache would change from Event to Traditional after the night was over.

The idea is to have a different sort of Event Cache, and to have my hypothetical friend (who is not overly excited by Event Caches) meet geocachers he probably wouldn't otherwise meet.

What do people think? Can a Event Cache like this be pulled off? Should an Event Cache like this be approved? Do you see any problems with an Event Cache like this?

It would be kinda awkward trying to sign the log if you locate him in the restroom. :P

You could try setting it up as an event cache and get you local approver to sit on it until a given time. You would then have to email all the local cachers as to the event. Otherwise they might not see it in time to participate.

Take your friend caching for several hours, and while your gone have the the appover release the coordinates.

Sounds like fun. Good luck with it!

El Diablo

An event cache has to be an event for geocachers to which geocachers are invited and geocaching type activities take place or are discussed.

You wouldn't have a birthday party for a child at Chucky-Cheeses and invite some geocachers to join the kiddies who are there and call it an "event cache". However the site has certainly posted social events to honor a geocacher for finding 1000 caches or for another milestone like a birthday.

I think as long as the event is for geocachers, not just a party to which geocachers are also invited, it's fine. If at the event you want to make the poor guy carry a cache for folks to log that might be fun, but I wouldn't get off on too much of a tangent on that. Participating in the event is what generally earns the smiley, but having a physical cache that can later be hidden nearby as a permanent cache would be cool too. Maybe the guests can all bring trinkets to contribute to this communal cache commemorating the event. I'd communicate with your local approver beforehand to iron out any bugs and arrange for the event to be changed to a traditional cache after it's over.

The only snag I see in the way you describe it is posting it at the last minute to keep the guest of honor in the dark. That would also prevent participants from planning their attendance. We do want event caches to be planned events, not spur of the moment "drop in if your in the area and can make it" last minute thoughts.

erik - geocaching.com admin

Edited by erik88l-r
An event cache has to be an event for geocachers to which geocachers are invited and geocaching type activities take place or are discussed.

You wouldn't have a birthday party for a child at Chucky-Cheeses and invite some geocachers to join the kiddies who are there and call it an "event cache". However the site has certainly posted social events to honor a geocacher for finding 1000 caches or for another milestone like a birthday.

I think as long as the event is for geocachers, not just a party to which geocachers are also invited, it's fine. If at the event you want to make the poor guy carry a cache for folks to log that might be fun, but I wouldn't get off on too much of a tangent on that. Participating in the event is what generally earns the smiley, but having a physical cache that can later be hidden nearby as a permanent cache would be cool too. Maybe the guests can all bring trinkets to contribute to this communal cache commemorating the event. I'd communicate with your local approver beforehand to iron out any bugs and arrange for the event to be changed to a traditional cache after it's over.

The only snag I see in the way you describe it is posting it at the last minute to keep the guest of honor in the dark. That would also prevent participants from planning their attendance. We do want event caches to be planned events, not spur of the moment "drop in if your in the area and can make it" last minute thoughts.

erik - geocaching.com admin

One of our recent event caches in the area was exactly as you described. It was the Chuckee Cheese birthday party of one of our young and actice cachers. I couldn't attend, but the log shows that it was well attended.

You say that geocaching must be an event to which geocachers are invited and geocaching type activities take place or are discussed. Well, put a bunch of Geocachers in a room and you know what they'll talk about. They might even get some of the birthday party folks interested in the game.

In fact, I think that it was a great idea on the Dad's part. I've been to enough Chuckster parties to know that having a bunch of adults around to talk about something other than problems with the schools, babies and gossip would be very welcome.

I agree about the short notice problem. I only read cache stuff in the evenings, so I wouldn't know about an event cache announced the same day until it was too late.