Why Don't People Log Caches Online

FallenFaery

Ok, So I know their are some cachers who have decided not log caches on gc.com because disagreements with rules. But I checked on my waterlogged cache today and I had 6-8 sigs that weren't logged on the page. Not only that but half of them didn't even have a gc account. And two of the people who didn't have accounts took Travel bugs out of the cache :P and the bugs never got logged.

why get the coords from here and not even create an account?

I don't log online mainly because I don't want to be in a "forced" competition with the stats. I keep my own records of caches found. I also think that it is no ones biz where I was at any particular time on any given day. Online logs leave a trail of your travels during vacations and can indicate your home caching area.

I WILL email the owner when I find their cache, however, and let them know what kind of shape the cache is in, how tough it was to find, and if anything interesting happened on the way to the cache, just so they stay informed. :P

I had to create an account to get in the Forums and chat with all the friendly people in here. :P

Edited by TEAM 360

I could see a newbie not creating an account for the first find or two, but after that it makes sense to be able to easily track online what you've found and what you haven't, if nothing else. I've logged a few lame virts with just a note because I did not feel that my "find" was really that, but I did it want to document my visit and let the person who posted it know that I found it interesting.

~erik~

There is a cacher in our area who never logs them. I wish they would as it would let us hiders know that the cache was still doing fine or not. This cacher doesn't have the decency to email like Team 360 does.

Then there are those who aren't capable of signing up with a user name. I have tried to help a teen I know do this but it seems to be beyond his abilities. Sad but true.

Whatever their reasons they don't because they don't have too to find a cache.

We could speculate that its the TOS or that they are net paranoid (there are a lot of people like that). It could be having to provide your real name or an email. Or it could be 2 minutes more work than they are willing to do.

Here the ratio of these types is about 40% give or take.

I know one individual who doesn't know what to say/write so doesn't log.

Other personality types are going to have absolutely no interest in tracking what they've done in the past. (Total opposite of Where's George and Bookcrossing fans.)

Enjoy,

Randy

PS: The only reason I log is to give back to the placer and show my appreciation.

I've got a few answers. In my early days of caching I would sign log book and trade nothing. I didn't see the relevance in posting my find online since I was more concerned with testing my abilities with GPS. As I found more caches and read more logs, I realized that there are those out there who thrive on the competition of seeing who can log more in less time - again, not me. Then there is the security issue of wanting to be unseen. I eventually began logging finds online mainly due to my inability to remember whether or not I actually had looked for a cache or if I just remembered reading about it. Can get confusing when you are in an unfamiliar part of the world and there are many nearby caches. I would guess to date I have found 60 to 70 caches but only logged about half of them.

Then there are the caches which are unworthy of a log. I recently set out in MS during Tx holidays to find some caches and the ones I found were rather lame not to mention some dead ends.

Whether you log a find or not I do see your point in e-mailing the owner as to your experiences. Matter of fact, think I'll do that now on some of those lame and dead end caches.

Similar to what Bloencustoms just said, I have a friend who found around 25 caches on a trip with me. She loved it, but didn't have the time to create an account or log. So, I made sure I mentioned her in my own logs. In a few instances, I included comments that she asked me to make. I explained stats and all to her, but she didn't care about that and said that if she starts caching in her area alone, then she will try to log. OK.

Now, as a cache owner, I will say that part of the experience is seeing the online logs. Who knows when I will see the actual book. On my easy (and obvious to muggles) urban micro that I need to check often, well OK, I see the written logs more often. But I have two rural caches that need very little care and I would like to know who found them before my one or two times a year trip out to check the cache! Actually, one of those I have not needed to check for 18 months or so! So, I wish people would log online! I enjoy seeing the logs!

I do respect that 360 emails the people. That is OK with me. Actually that happened on one of my rurals. The person emailed (from a very generic yahoo address), said that he or she was not "officially registered" and didn't log for privacy reasons, and told me about the find. I found it interesting, but was OK with that since I appreciated the email.

One of my Sisters is an active cache lurker. She and her husband hate sitting in front of a computer. They live in a beautiful place. I don't blame them, but still, I would like to read of their adventures like they do mine. They just call me instead. They lurk the forums too, but maybe only once in a while. She'll be on in a second if I tell her JoeFrog posted something really funny. I had to call her weekly to read JokeFrog's jokes on my private thread. She couldn't get enough of dead monkeys in caches.

There will always be an element of people who don't wish to conform. I'm OK with that.

Sn :unsure::rolleyes: gans

Edited by Snoogans

I have taken many people with me caching who are not geocachers...they sometimes write their own log entry in the log book, or sometimes I just write one for all of us. These friends do not own a GPS and only go along because I am the one with the gps...they would not geocache otherwise, nor even bother to log it online, so most likely those logs you see in log books but not online are from friends of cachers.

...didn't log for privacy reasons

What privacy reasons? Who the heck are "Bloencustoms", "Snoogans", "Renegade Knight", "Stayfloopy" and even "CarleenP" ? They're made up names. So who really gives a crap if "JoeGPS" found x amount of caches in an area, or you can see where "BassoonPilot" went on vacation by tracking his finds?

Edited by briansnat
...didn't log for privacy reasons

What privacy reasons? Who the heck are "Bloencustoms", "Snoogans", "Renegade Knight", "Stayfloopy" and even "CarleenP" ? They're made up names. So who really gives a crap if "JoeGPS" found x amount of caches in an area, or you can see where "BassoonPilot" went on vacation by tracking his finds?

I just don't care to play the "stats game", and as of right now, there is no-opt out for tracking the number of caches found. So in order to avoid having numbers posted, I just don't log online. I hope you will at least respect the choice I have made in that regard. As far as I know, there is no rule that says I HAVE to post online. In fact, very few rules apply to FINDERS. Just the one: if you take something, leave something, and sign the logbook. That's been understood from the beginning. Pretty simple. :rolleyes:

Edited by TEAM 360

The person (or people) who emailed me never told me the "privacy reasons." That is why I found it interesting. I was pretty darn curious about that! I wrote them back and asked if they would tell me and got no reply! I'll also note that they said in the email that they took a pic with the cache camera but not with them in it! If I wasn't in Nebraska, I would think that some famous person found my cache!

Anyway, I think some people prefer more annonymity. If that makes them comfortable and also caching, I'm OK with it. But I do prefer to see online logs. I for one don't care about privacy much. I'm Carleenp and that is my real name. I think it is in my profile, but if it is not, I'm Carleen Pruess. I don't care who sees where I went on vacation by seeing my cache logs. I don't care if they google search my name etc. But I am OK with those who don't want to be an "open book" like I am.

I for one don't care about privacy much. I'm Carleenp and that is my real name. I think it is in my profile, but if it is not, I'm Carleen Pruess.

Hey, you just ruined my post :rolleyes: So let me re-state it. Almost everyone uses nicknames on this site and if you don't want people to know who you really are, nobody will know. So who cares that "Worldtraveler" just visited Sweden, or "Jungle Green" spent the weekend in Florida, or that "WaldenRun" lives in Massachussets.

Edited by briansnat

I think a big part of this sport is geocachers sharing their experiences with each other. I enjoy reading the logs for my own caches, ones I've found and even random other caches out there and I'm sure I'm not alone. Since I can't keep going out to all the caches to read the latest paper log entries, the online logging part of the sport is important to me.

I think a big part of this sport is geocachers sharing their experiences with each other. I enjoy reading the logs for my own caches, ones I've found and even random other caches out there and I'm sure I'm not alone. Since I can't keep going out to all the caches to read the latest paper log entries, the online logging part of the sport is important

I agree. I love reading logs on caches that I plan to visit, wish I could visit, or am just plain interested in. So, I wish people would log online. But if they have personal reasons for not doing so, I'll respect that, even though I wish they would log online.

If I could arrange for my caches to elude cache lurkers who don't log I would. Like most people I place caches for the logs. Like She who goes by her real name said I don't check on my remote caches much and the online logs are all the better because of that.

In a nutshell the caches I place do the lurkers some good but the lurkers are not doing me much good and I'm selfish enogh to admit it. Besides I've lost enough caches to have missed out on logs that I'll never get. You can't plunder an online log. For the record if someone emails me rather than log I'll post a note to the cache for everyone to read, if I could edit the post to reflect who did the find I'd do that too.

I'd scan the log book once I archive a cache for posterity and post that too, but archived caches are not yet easily researchable for the logs and history of the RASH.

I see only on reason to hide a cache. Could be wrong but here it is:

I want to give back to the geocaching community.

Somebody hid caches for me to find, I hide cache for others to find. Isn't that the whole idea of the game? Everything else is a bonus.

Yeah I like to read the logs, it is nice to know my effort was appreciated. But if a few don't want to be "official" what the heck? You don't give a gift with an expectation of something in return, .....................do you?

BTW; I don't post my vacation finds until I get home, OK so I'm a little paranoid. :rolleyes:

Perhaps there should be a rule that everyone must log each cache online.

Don't you think it's a bit of a "what difference does it make" kind of thing? Some sign the log. Some don't. Some trade. Some don't. Some log online. Some don't. Toe-may-toe, Ta-ma-tew.

Personally, I write logs on this site because I think it's fun to share some of the stories with others and I enjoy reading about other cachers experiences -- collectively we have shared a geographical location and added to it's history and that's kind of cool. Writing online logs also add a great deal to the community aspect of the activity.

Some people don't wish to be a part of that community but they still want to enjoy the activity. If they don't want to log online, who am I to tell them that they must? I'm OK with it. I hope they enjoyed that last cache as much as I did.

Perhaps a better question might be; Why do you write onlline logs and what are some of your favourites?

Seriously, if there really is a need to discuss whether or not writing an online log is right or wrong, then there must be a need to create a rule for it. Someone should call a meeting. :rolleyes:

Online logs leave a trail of your travels during vacations and can indicate your home caching area.

If online logs worry you that it can indicate your home caching area, then you better stop hiding caches too. Looks to me from your hides you are from Arizona, perhaps Phoenix. But no one knows any more than that (no real name, no address, phone number etc).

I log my finds as "gerper" in logbooks on caches, and have recently printed up stickers to put in books so I don't have to use a pen (hey, makes more time for caching!!). I have a pretty common "real" name, so using my gc screen name is just easier to follow or contact me. I also make sure that I log online. Maybe it is a numbers game, but I would like to think that I follow the rules, it makes the game that much better for me (and hopefully, others). :rolleyes:

Yes, and they also should be required to:

1. post the log within 1 hr of finding the cache

2. say something uplifting in their post

3. only discuss the cache, not any other things they observed not specifically

related to geocaching

:unsure::blink::rolleyes:

Carleen, with such a unique last name, a cursory search of Nebraska only generated one address/phone number.

If you aren't related to "Alfred" there's no likely issue, but... (Don't worry, I'm in CT and don't have time to stalk you! Hehe..)

I tend to be open too, but keep my last name out of it and use a Yahoo email account (mostly 'cause it totally eliminates spam).

For someone else who used a 'smilie' in their post to change their meaning, realize that for those of us who browse without graphics, we don't see them!

My recommendation for those who don't want to divulge info, create the account without providing home address info. Don't provide your home coords (I don't, I use the Tiger coords for my hometown).

When a TV crew taped my caching for a news segment, I wouldn't allow them to connect my real name to my caching name.

I think most who don't log online simply have better ways of spending their time. I can type (obviously) so logging my caches only takes a half hour or so. Some longer, some shorter. Over 140ish caches that's 70 hours of logging! $3500 worth of time. Add the 20-60 mins. for most caches, another 93 hrs. I can see that after spending those 93 hours some might not want to invest an additional 70+.

Enjoy,

Randy

I can type (obviously) so logging my caches only takes a half hour or so. Some longer, some shorter. Over 140ish caches that's 70 hours of logging! $3500 worth of time. Add the 20-60 mins. for most caches, another 93 hrs. I can see that after spending those 93 hours some might not want to invest an additional 70+.

Enjoy,

Randy

This certainly is an interesting perspective -- it makes it sound like logging a find is the same as work, and thus, can be examined in a dollar / hour framework. Gee, I never thought of it that way -- I actually consider the logging part of the fun, along with reading other folk's logs on my caches. I guess it all is a matter of perspective.

In my opinion. This is what the logs provide.

A timetable of finds

Descriptions of troubles with the cache

enjoyable stories

they are most important to the cache placer. If you take the time to visit someones' cache, it is courteous that you log online. Even if it is a T/L/N S/L. If you NO FIND the cache, log that especially. There is never anything embarrassing about a no find. Sometimes you just miss it. Sometimes the cache really isn't there and has been muggled. You may be the owners first notification that the cache may be missing. This would also be helpful for others who come after you to know.

Are you crazy? Could you imagine the backlash from that? :unsure:

BTW I saw your :rolleyes: at the end... but still, don't get people started--PLEASE! :blink:

LOL.

Get people "started"? I assume that you're referring to logging their caches online.

RJFerret wrote:

For someone else who used a 'smilie' in their post to change their meaning, realize that for those of us who browse without graphics, we don't see them!

That's odd, you seem to know that they are there enough to talk about them. I see a lot of people using smileys in thier posts. If you're not seeing them you must be pretty upset with a lot of posts.

Lighten up folks. You missed the whole point of my post.

Looks like I caused some interesting conversation. As far as a rule to make people log caches online. that would be impossible from my prespective. Most of the people who logged my cache in the log book without logging it online don't even have an account. I guess we live in a paranoid world now. my mother still begs me not to go caching by myself. Kind of hard to find people to cache with during the week when you're unemployed :rolleyes:

Looks like I caused some interesting conversation. As far as a rule to make people log caches online. that would be impossible from my prespective. Most of the people who logged my cache in the log book without logging it online don't even have an account. I guess we live in a paranoid world now. my mother still begs me not to go caching by myself. Kind of hard to find people to cache with during the week when you're unemployed :rolleyes:

I guess you also missed the point of J5's posting.

:bad::D:unsure::blink:B):lol:

I have geobuddies that don't log their finds at all, online or otherwise. I log all my finds online, but sometimes I do not sign the cache log (no pen, log full, no place to sign comfortably, log too tiny in microcaches). I also keep a personal journal complete with photos of my hunts. None of my geobuddies do that. I guess it is just a matter of personal preference. Then there is the human factor. Folks just wanna act up and not play by the "rules" of the game. It comes with the territory.

Edited by Clown Knife
:P If ya ain't gonna log 'em, that's fine. But don't snag the bug. I imagine that more than a few people visit a cache to grab a bug that has interested them. Ninja caching removes the bug with no notice that the bug is gone. Even worse if the Ninja cacher never places the bug afterwards.

Some folks geocache, but don't own a working computer. Get the co-ords at work then go find cache. If they don't have computer cant log they feel no reason to log on paper log. Guess its just the fun of the hunt & don't realize the feedback to the owner & other caches fun for them too. I'm completely opposite, love to log & read all the logs both before & after I visited. Fun to see people have the same experences I did. Love to weave a story in my logs out of the events that occured if I can. I even go back & reread my own logs if it was a really good experience. Brings smile sometimes at the memory. I never wrote on the bathroom walls when I was a kid, and now I guess I'm making up for it in a more positive fashion as an adult.

KilRoy was here!

Looks like I caused some interesting conversation.  As far as a rule to make people log caches online. that would be impossible from my prespective. Most of the people who logged my cache in the log book without logging it online don't even have an account.  I guess we live in a paranoid world now. my mother still begs me not to go caching by myself. Kind of hard to find people to cache with during the week when you're unemployed  :bad:

I guess you also missed the point of J5's posting.

:bad::bad::bad::bad::P:)

No I got his point. just was adding to the conversation...sigh...

someone mentioned something about logging caches taking up to half an hour

Perhaps I'm just a newbie here (Wait a minute. I AM a newbie here!), but my logs take closer to three minutes per ... if that.

- enter the URL in the browser

(I copied the URL earlier along with other information that I carry in my Palm)

- log the find which is usually "TNLNSL" & {something about the weather} & {whether my dog was with me} & {if I think the difficultly rating is correct}.

- done