Geocaching Notebook

I started caching with my children (daughter 13, son 11) in May of this year. We really get a kick out of the whole sport. One thing that we have done from the start is to print each cache page that we go on and keep them in a notebook. We have recently started putting pictures of each cache in the notebook too. The notebook kind of adds another dimension to the whole cache experiance. It helps alot too when your trying to explain caching to a muggle. It's always been a contest between myself and my children to see who has eyes on target first. Bragging rights ya' know. My daughter usually adds comments to the page such as how easy or hard, who found it, and what she calls "what really happened" (when she feels she has been cheated out of the FOUND IT title). Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else keeps a notebook or log like this.

I hadn't thought of that, but it sounds like a really good idea. Unfortunately, I tend to go alone most of the time, well, every time but once when I took my brother and his 4 y/o son. I had more fun that time, but we just can't connect enough to go all the time. Matthew had great fun searching for "treasure" with us, but couldn't understand how we were going to find treasure if we weren't on an island!

errrrrrrrrr, ummmmmmmmmmm................. :P geoCaching :P

That's a really cool idea. I take tons of pictures when the kids and I go out on adventures and love looking at my gallery of pics to see the kids with the smiles on their face. I wish I had started doing what you are doing when we first got involved in geocaching. There's a store nearby that sells scrapbook supplies that has some really fun items that could have gone into such a book. Happy caching!

RobertM,

I believe you will find it most useful

If you have questions you can usually find someone in #geocache chat room that can help

Hi CO_Admin,

Thanks. :-) It's downloaded. Now just to find the time to install it.

If I have any questions I'll check out the IRC chat/channel. I don't think I've been there yet. Maybe once, but long ago.

Thank you

RobertM

I started to keep printed cache pages, untill I discovered ClayJar's program Watcher. Now it's too easy to just bring the laptop in the car. :P

I never knew about Clayjar's Watcher program. I'm downloading it now. The screenshots look pretty good!

Where is this program located at to download? It sounds kinda neat.

We print out all of our logs and keep them in a folder, with the pictures showing arround the actual log it's reading and seeing where we went and what we have done over the years.

It also gives an added incentive to write logs that actually describe where you went and what you did and take photos.

Take this log as a good example of something to remember link

We also scrapbook cards and signature items.

Done this from day one it is like having a photo album with the descriptions filled in and makes a change when visitors ask how was your holiday from just showing photos.

What notebook/journal do you carry when you go caching? I have a little Moleskine gridded pocket notebook, but it's too clunky to carry in my pocket. Anyone know of a leather bound, but flexible little pocket notebook?

love

nick

(the legendary!) Moleskine do a "Soft cover" version - this may be what you're looking for..

What notebook/journal do you carry when you go caching? I have a little Moleskine gridded pocket notebook, but it's too clunky to carry in my pocket. Anyone know of a leather bound, but flexible little pocket notebook?

love

nick

(the legendary!) Moleskine do a "Soft cover" version - this may be what you're looking for..

Given that he fell off the map after one find over two years ago, I doubt he will be reading the post.

Myself, I created a spreadsheet using excel. I created a seperate page for specific areas of the city, highways, and parks in my province. It has 5 columns on each page. It lists the Waypoint number, the cache name, the type of container, date found and general comments. Things like the hints, terrain, etc..are in my gps unit. I update the spreadsheet once a week when the newsletter comes in my e-mail account. So when I go out and find a cache and sign the log, I also dig out my printed spreadsheet and date the find and write any comments of the cache or location.

But before I go on the hunt for x amount of caches, i take a few minutes and view the cache pages just to review any recent comments and to make sure they are still active.

Myself, I created a spreadsheet using excel. I created a seperate page for specific areas of the city, highways, and parks in my province. It has 5 columns on each page. It lists the Waypoint number, the cache name, the type of container, date found and general comments. Things like the hints, terrain, etc..are in my gps unit. I update the spreadsheet once a week when the newsletter comes in my e-mail account. So when I go out and find a cache and sign the log, I also dig out my printed spreadsheet and date the find and write any comments of the cache or location.

But before I go on the hunt for x amount of caches, i take a few minutes and view the cache pages just to review any recent comments and to make sure they are still active.

If you think you are serious about Geocaching....Keep two (2) journals...1) for logging every cache found with appropriate information. 2) A journal for placement of caches with all needed information...You will be glad you did. I know two cachers that have well over 12,000 cache finds each....and every cache is logged in a journal....Same with placements...and each has over 500 cache placements....Wow what a book shelf full of Caching Journals. Happy Trails

If you think you are serious about Geocaching....Keep two (2) journals...1) for logging every cache found with appropriate information. 2) A journal for placement of caches with all needed information...You will be glad you did. I know two cachers that have well over 12,000 cache finds each....and every cache is logged in a journal....Same with placements...and each has over 500 cache placements....Wow what a book shelf full of Caching Journals. Happy Trails

That's what's in the back pages

We have gone through several little spiral notebooks.

I went back and found the second one

"Page 1

April 4, 2002

Hawks Bill Crag

CG3630

Arkansas

Took VW key chain & Star Racer

Left Digger travel bug, Keys I havn't lost yet TB and a sample bottle of Tabasco Hot Sauce"

First book started in August of 2001 but I can't find it :)

Edited by Pat in Louisiana