Courtesy

jasy

I suppose English is the language of the Internet, but I think it's unreasonable to ask people to post or log a cache in their own country in another language. The people in that country might even feel it chauvinistic to expect that.

I think visitors appreciate when the cache is posted in another language, but as a cache approver I certainly don't make an issue of it. There are several good online translation tools out there that are a great help. I think it's only the Turkish caches that I've found that they totally butcher. :P

erik - geocaching.com admin

:laughing: Why can't you all use English in all logs and descriptions. I don't want to study dozens of languages to be able to understand what is going on in Geocaching all over the world.

Which is easier? That the whole rest of the world learn English so you can be happy, or that you learn to translate/ignore the logs and descriptions you don't understand?

I speak English, French, and a tiny bit of Latin, Italian, German and Spanish.

Where my language abilities fail me, there's http://babelfish.altavista.com

personally, I'd rather see logs and descriptions in the native language of the cacher/cache owner than forced into English where limited English skills might result in an incorrect translation of something important.

:(  Why can't you all use English in all logs and descriptions. I don't want to study dozens of languages to be able to understand what is going on in Geocaching all over the world.

Which is easier? That the whole rest of the world learn English so you can be happy, or that you learn to translate/ignore the logs and descriptions you don't understand?

Actually it appears English has got a great start at becoming the first global language:

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/seti-04d.html

Currently, our energy output qualifies us for Type 0 status. We derive our energy not from harnessing global forces, but by burning dead plants (e.g. oil and coal). But already, we can see the seeds of a Type I civilization. We see the beginning of a planetary language (English), a planetary communication system (the Internet), a planetary economy (the forging of the European Union), and even the beginnings of a planetary culture (via mass media, TV, rock music, and Hollywood films).

Not that I think everyone should run out and learn it but over the next few centuries it seems likely to happen on it's own.

Personally, I'd rather see logs and descriptions in the native language of the cacher/cache owner than forced into English where limited English skills might result in an incorrect translation of something important.
I do know what you're trying to say here and I do agree, at the same time it's a funny statement for you to make after suggesting he use babelfish :(

Thorin

Edited by thorin
personally, I'd rather see logs and descriptions in the native language of the cacher/cache owner than forced into English where limited English skills might result in an incorrect translation of something important.

If all the logs around here were only in the native language, which you say you'd rather see, I think you wouldn't find many caches here. Babelfish doesn't even know Finnish, and what results I've seen from other online translators, I highly doubt you'd still be able to find many more.

Try using this result of an online translation from Finnish to English when trying to find my cache Jokioinen Estate:

This recess vie Jokioisten communal history alkulähteille Southwesterly Hämeeseen. This is withal Jokioisten chief geokätkö. Although Jokioisilla olikin settlement already 1300- studies since , is parochial intrinsic evolution sidoksissa lamb 1562 premise estate history. Estate päärakennuksen rakennutti 200 skin ago prefect and governor-general E.G. von Willebrandt. Your errand is discover von Willebrandtin treasure , which is lurk anywhere estate tiluksille. Aloituskoordinaatit depriving estate long-standing Tapulimakasiinin before. Closely began estate luontopolku , whose during recess striking. Recess löytääkseen is nevertheless laskettava finally coordination polun n. km ) during löytyvien vihjeiden profound. Varoituksen word : errand vie at ( anyway past know ) and teettää töitä! Homework busy butter nevertheless discover joitakin osia problem exclusive , that proportion path need walk through. Repertory finally coordination ovat : N and INVOLR 023° 28.XYZ Yksinumeroinen A = Swedish vanhimman masts YEAR 225. Kaksinumeroinen BC Jokioisten kirkon RAKENNUSVUOSI 1585 Kaksinumeroinen XY Willebrandtien headstone PYSTYTTÄMISVUOSI Wendl Augusta von Wrightin SYNTYMÄVUOSI 45 Yksinumeroinen Z = ( year , when TAIMIKKOALUE raivattiin and äestettiin Tapulimakasiinin eteläseinän LESS IKKUNOIDEN ( or door ) Amount ) 398

Alternatively, you can use the English translation, I had the courtesy of to include in the cache description page. Compare that to the above online translation. :(

I don't agree with the OP that all logs and descriptions should be in English, and I highly support using native languages in addition to English, but I definitely agree that using English is a courtesy towards people coming from different language areas. My caches have had visitors from at least UK, USA, Poland, Germany, Netherlands, Sweden, Hungary and Russia. I highly doubt any of them would have visited a single one if there wasn't an English description included.

Once a multilingual cache pages become supported in GC.com, I'd probably add couple languages more to my descriptions. In the current system it would take too much space from the page (like even only two languges can easily do nowadays).

:mad: With the limited amount of caches in Japan, I will take whatever they put out there. By the way most English speakers need to be translated anyway. Have you taken the time to read some of the logs from Hawaii? It is in English or at least some form of the language. I think that if you are willing to take the time to cache you should take the time to learn about the culture and language of the country where the cache is located. Besides isn’t that part of the fun, trying to figure out the puzzle to find the treasure? If you need some help learning ENGRISH, take a look at Engrish.com.

gildervoigts

I'm sure there are plenty of things I wrote almost a year ago, that I now regret

What are you a politician?

You shouldn't write something you don't stand behind. Nothing wrong with reconsidering your position, but you shouldn't regret something only because some time passed.

To add to the topic...

As a native English speaker, and from the US at that, I'm always surprised to travel and find out that many people from other countries speak English. It's a bit humbling to meet someone who speaks three and four languages and has done so for many years. I often feel uncomfortable when, among an international group, everyone pretty much has to speak English on my behalf.

Jamie