Kansas Caching Community!

liquidsnatch

I've been looking around for a Kansas caching club, but the closest I can find is the Kansas City group. Are there just too few of us to warrant such a thing?

-L "Bored at 2:30 AM" Snatch

Lawrence, KS

Not to dampen your spirits, but yes. For the Lawrence/Topeka area anyway, there are too few caches and too few cachers to really support an organization. Please excuse this authoritative tone, but my old stomping grounds of mid MO (Columbia and Jefferson City) have over 100 caches in about a 30 mile radius. They are still struggling to get organized.

There is an event cache in KC fairly soon, that the KC club is putting on.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...62-3329038b43fc

The best thing to do, is hit all of the geocaches you can. In KC, around here, etc. This way you'll get ideas for new caches that you might have otherwise not considered. Trust me, there are a lot of interesting and unique cache ideas out there.

Then, if you're bored, start placing you're own geocaches. I urge you to explore all the public lands that are out there first. There's a lot of interesting stuff to see.

In addition to the city parks there is a vast amount of public land owned by the Army Corps of Engineers around both Clinton Lake and Perry Lake.

http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/clinton/gif/clinton_all.jpg

http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/perry/gif/pe-lakemap.jpg

For those of you who may be interested, this thread is about a cache event coming up over the Memorial day weekend at Sugarite Park in NM. I know from the Wichita area, it's only about an 8 or 9 hour drive, and I'm planning on going, as a good friend is the planner of it. Add a few more hours to that drive for the Lawrence/KC/Olathe areas appropriately and decide if it's worth a drive for you. Sounds like a fun chance to experience caching out of state in a beautiful park. Just a thought. ;)

I'd suggest hosting an event cache. You never know who will crawl out of the wood work. Try placing it at the local pizza joint on a Sat. afternoon.

We have a yahoo e-mail group. When we did our first event cache about %30 of the people didn't even belong. They just saw the new cache and showed up. We did a picnic type thing at a local park.

I would love to join a local caching club but being in NW Kansas it is very doubtful that there would ever be enough people in the area to start a club. Our closest cache is 32 miles away and there are only 66 caches in 100 miles from us! We have to plan to geocache - cannot just decide to go geocaching after work as it takes close to 40 minutes to get to the closest cache site.

B) There are 8 - 12 solid cachers in the sw part of kansas, I can not speak for them but a club in western kansas would be awesome I think. I have no idea of how to go about starting such a thing, but would be willing to HELP. :D:lol:

Moose1961

Send me your email address. I've got links to several sites that would help you out, as I'm trying to get something going here in the Wichita/Hutchinson area. :(

I would love to join a local caching club but being in NW Kansas it is very doubtful that there would ever be enough people in the area to start a club.  Our closest cache is 32 miles away and there are only 66 caches in 100 miles from us!  We have to plan to geocache - cannot just decide to go geocaching after work as it takes close to 40 minutes to get to the closest cache site.

I guess I'm lucky to live halfway between Hutchinson and Wichita. There are 427 caches within 100 miles of me! Aside from mine and one by droid61, the closest are about 15 miles in any direction. I've managed to find about 21 of them so far......

Edited by Sparky-Watts
seed cache might help.

A seed cache is a wonderful idea for our lack of caches in NW Kansas. As a newbie this is the first I have ever heard or a seed cache. Maybe by getting more caches out would get more in Western Kansas into geocaching. Now I just have to wait a couple of weeks until I have a Saturday off so I can hit the Army Supply store to look for some ammo boxes!