$$ Wheres The $$

Taliban Hunter

I know there was a $10 starbucks card in the FDN cache and there's a local mystery cache that I finally have the coordinates to that I'm hoping to find some daylight to visit that has some very nice stuff in it. (Heck, I went shopping just to make sure I had something decent to trade, I settled on a nice LED flashlight that can clip to your hat in addition to my usual pile o' swag). As for gold, I've been leaving virgin Geocoins in caches every now and then, is that good enough?

We are new at this. We have found a few and placed 0ne. I was wondering if there was a compatetion or something where there was $$ in the cache? Do some caches have money or something valuable in them? My daughter keeps asking why we have'nt found any gold yet.  Thanks

There's gold in my teeth and silver in my hair!!! Geocaching to me is not about the find but the HUNT!! I'm making great memories with my kids and seeing areas we never knew existed until we finally got off the couch and went hiking..

Related to this topic is a question I wanted to ask. Yesterday a person posted a log entry in a a local "park-n-grab" cache that I watch but do not maintain. The entry said, in part,

Also decided to hide a few prizes from Chicago while in the area. A $100 cash prize has been hidden somewhere near Indy. Visit http://www.TreasureHuntGames.com and sign up to receive clues leading to it's location.  

The "www" address was hyperlinked for easy access. I went to the site and found out that for a monthly fee a person can get clues to where the cash is hidden. 70% of the fees get turned into prizes; the site is nicely up-front about this. My "scam-o-meter" goes on high at this point but, hey, in some ways it is no worse than playing the state lottery -- something I do not do but that a lot of people enjoy. So I am not coming down on the concept itself but rather I am questioning the use of logs to do advertising for such a concept.

If it was a cache that I maintained then I would probably edit the entry to delete the ad. But since it is another person's cache should I be concerned about this log?

A lot of caches in this area have Wheresgeorge bills in them, but rarely more than 2, or 3. So if you were expecting to get rich, forget about it.

On the subject of WheresGeorge bills in caches. I also like to enter bills on the WheresGeorge site, but they no longer accept (or count) bills recovered from caches. I know that was off topic, so I'll add a tad more to bring it back around.

I've found some pretty neat stuff in caches, but as has been mentioned already, it's about the hunt, not the find! Just get out and enjoy the scenery and exercise.

A lot of caches in this area have Wheresgeorge bills in them, but rarely more than 2, or 3. So if you were expecting to get rich, forget about it. 

On the subject of WheresGeorge bills in caches. I also like to enter bills on the WheresGeorge site, but they no longer accept (or count) bills recovered from caches. I know that was off topic, so I'll add a tad more to bring it back around.

Where's George bills from geocaches are accepted and counted in the stats at the Where's George site. They just get tagged so they won't show up in the Top 10 lists.

On the subject of WheresGeorge bills in caches. I also like to enter bills on the WheresGeorge site, but they no longer accept (or count) bills recovered from caches.

Where'd you hear this? I've been entering bills found in caches since I started geocaching and I am still entering them and they are still being accepted and counted. I entered one this morning in fact.

On the subject of WheresGeorge bills in caches. I also like to enter bills on the WheresGeorge site, but they no longer accept (or count) bills recovered from caches.

Where'd you hear this? I've been entering bills found in caches since I started geocaching and I am still entering them and they are still being accepted and counted. I entered one this morning in fact.

That's a relief. I have several Where's George dollars bills I'm saving just to put in caches I was starting to wonder myself if this was unacceptable. Heaven forbid that I go against the rules!!!

I was misinformed when I first posted about this. WheresGeorge still accepts cache bills, but they are flagged as such and not counted in any of the "Top Ten" lists. My apologies for any confusion. And, they don't know they are cache bills if ya don't tell them!

So far I've recovered $3.75. Most of the coins were dimes and quarters but I was lucky enough to find a gold dollar and a 50 cent piece once. Of course, what I leave is always more than the value of the coin. I love to see nice swag in caches and stock my own with nice items for others to find. I love the hunt but the trading is very fun too. -BK :(

We are new at this. We have found a few and placed 0ne. I was wondering if there was a compatetion or something where there was $$ in the cache? Do some caches have money or something valuable in them? My daughter keeps asking why we have'nt found any gold yet.  Thanks

There's gold in my teeth and silver in my hair!!! Geocaching to me is not about the find but the HUNT!! I'm making great memories with my kids and seeing areas we never knew existed until we finally got off the couch and went hiking..

Add to that the lead in my butt & we might be worth recycling!

Certain - was started with a $20. I had orignally planned to start it with a hundred, but I changed my mind and decided to break the hundred up and restock the cache every so often, its still the same prize, only instead of going to one person, its being spread out. the only catch is I am not discloseing when I restock.... so like a slot machine... you never know if it will payoff.

Scoobydooers

Certain - was started with a $20. I had orignally planned to start it with a hundred, but I changed my mind and decided to break the hundred up and restock the cache every so often, its still the same prize, only instead of going to one person, its being spread out. the only catch is I am not discloseing when I restock.... so like a slot machine... you never know if it will payoff.

Scoobydooers

<Sparky camps out next to the cache and waits....and waits....and waits......>

We did place a cache with a couple of hundred dollars worth of first and second finders' prizes, as a sort of farewell before we emigrated.

Mind you, the winners had to also log seven _other_ caches to get the clues required to get the coords to this final one!

This is rather unusual for us, though, and we normally just fill a plastic box with crappy junk and stick it under a rock! :lol: