Petition Of The Mod's

The Weasel

No, this is not a revolution in any way. I just feel that we as faithful "due" paying and non "due" members need to be heard. I know that this will not do any good, but I am willing to put my "John Hancock" per say here to let the MOD's know that we are very unhappy with the NEW AND IMPROVED way they are running things. It's almost like the new motto should be "Geocaching, to hell with the first amendment". Like I have said in other posts, what harm is there in off posts topics? I'm sure thats why some of the people come here. I'm not a technical person by any means, so I like to mix it up a bit. I like reading the technical posts to gain some knowlege of the gps and stories of caching, but also like the humor and creativity of the off topic threads as well.

It seems like this board is getting a bit stuffy with people closing threads and thinking they are the god almighty. The more I think about it, the more miffed I get. I have offically decided that my "dues" can do more good where my thoughts and ideas are respected. I know my dues don't go directly tot he board, but it does go to geocaching .com, which if this is the way they are going, then I'd rather keep my money. Maybe if enough of us let them know that "the buck stops here" and start losing people and the money generated by memberships, then maybe they will see the light.

So, with this being said, anybody else feel this way?

I would gladly pay $6 per month to keep J5 and RobM from posting here. :D

How about we have a "penny war" for which one gets kicked out of the forums for a week (or two, whatever). The money collected can be used to buy a Mod(s) a new coffee cup or something. Doesn't matter who wins, its good!

And the loser gets more caching time (see I told you this is related) ;)

Edit: removed extra word.

Edited by welch
I would contribute to a fund to keep Whining Bleeding heart liberals from crying in their beer by starting posts like these. First Amendment has nothing to do with Private sector business. Never has.

Wow, you should be a MOD with an attitude like this!!! You would fit right in!! :D

Sorry Doc, but I completely disagree. I agree that certain people may have gone overboard. I suggested that those with issues take them behind the scenes. I was annoyed with the whole thing, pretty much took the side of geocaching (the sport) and was treated rather rudely by TPTB.

I know my money helps pay for these forums. When they where down the updates said "Your fees at work...". There has been a procedure change that we where not informed of.

If someone could tell me if I am a GUEST or a CUSTOMER I'll know how to feel about how I am treated. I feel like a CUSTOMER being treated like an UNWELCOME GUEST.

This all needs to be resolved and go away.

I would contribute to a fund to keep Whining Bleeding heart liberals from crying in their beer by starting posts like these. First Amendment has nothing to do with Private sector business. Never has.

Hey Lap, I'm a bleeding heart liberal. I hope you can find it your heart to still like me! :D:D

Regardless, you are right that the First Amendment has nothing to do with private enterprise. It only applies to government action. Many people misunderstand or misinterpret that.

With that said, I'm trying to stay out of this whole mod war thing. So I'm not giving my opinion on it. ;)

Edited by carleenp

Wow, you should be a MOD with an attitude like this!!! You would fit right in!! :D

How do you know he isn't?

So is there any reason why my heavy hand shouldn't fall on the close button for this thread? There have already been personal attacks and the general tone of the thread is a negative one.

If y'all want to be negative thats fine by me but don't get personal please.

So is there any reason why my heavy hand shouldn't fall on the close button for this thread? There have already been personal attacks and the general tone of the thread is a negative one.

If y'all want to be negative thats fine by me but don't get personal please.

I'm sorry UMC. I created this thread more or less that views can be heard on the MOD/closing of threads issue. I was more or less wanting to get the feel of if it was me that was feeling this way or if others had this concern. I love caching and I think this is a great website.. BUT, I think recently there has been some actions that have been going on in the threads that have not warented being closed. I was just wanting a reason why off topic threads are no longer acceptable. As long as they are clean and family oreintated, I'm not sure where the trouble is. I would GLADLY like to work with the MODS/Jeremy on this issue since I created this topic. I know a policy is being generated and I think to make everybody happy, everybody who has a view should be able to express it. I would like nothing better then to come on the board at least 1 time and not have some sort of argument going on. I just was looking for a reason why everything up and changed?

I'd pay $10 a month to keep Briansnat from posting......wait, that's me! I can save $120 a year by not posting :D .

This being said, there is a reason that there have been 12, 14 or 20 recent posts about moderation policies. It's because a lot of people here are ticked off about the heavy handedness of the "moderators". OK, if there is profanity, vulgarity, or direct personal attacks and name calling, put a stop to it. But some pretty benign posts and slight twists to the topic are being stopped colder than a mackerel, for what end? Heck, if I slip a post about how much the NY Giants stink worse than dead clams rotting in the sun ,into a thread about the benefits of WAAS, what is the big freakin' deal? If people aren't interested, it will die quickly on its own.

I had my first deleted post recently. It was on topic, had no profanity and wasn't a personal attack. I did disagree strongly with the orignator of the thread and for that, my post was deleted? I'm sure I'm not alone and and I'm sure this is a major reason that the tone has taken a turn for the worse here since this "moderation" began.

Edited by briansnat
... you are right that the First Amendment has nothing to do with private enterprise. It only applies to government action. Many people misunderstand or misinterpret that.

This has nothing to do with First Amendment rights but it does have a lot to do with the value that I attach to freedom of speech. Of course the owner of a private setting has the ability (and right) to control his guest’s speech, particularly if such guests want to remain on his property. However, even in a private setting, I very much value being allowed to talk as freely as reasonably possible. If I do not think that the owner respects my desire to talk freely, I have two choices: 1. Bring my concern to his attention, as many here have done, and hope that the policy will change (this is what all of these “closed topic” discussions are about) , or 2. Go somewhere else. So far, I have chosen option number one. At some point in time, people will begin to choose option number 2.

Edited by seneca
I'd pay $10 a month to keep Briansnat from posting......wait, that's me! I can save $120 a year by not posting.

This being said, there is a reason that there were 12, 14 or 20 recent posts about moderation policies. That's because a lot of people here are ticked off about the heavy handedness of the "moderators". OK, if there is profanity, vulgarity, or direct personal attacks and name calling, put a stop to it. But some pretty benign posts and slight twists to the topic are being stopped colder than a mackerel, for what?

I had my first deleted post recently. It was on topic, had no profanity and wasn't a personal attack. I did disagree strongly with the orignator of the thread and for that, my post was deleted? I'm sure I'm not alone and and I'm sure this is a major reason that the tone has taken a turn for the worse here since the "moderation" began.

Oh bull, you need to hold up your end! I'm not sure if you're an east coast Criminal or I'm a west coast Briansnat. Either way, you better start pulling you fudging weight around here dude. :D

This one is filling up fast.

My opinion on the subject: My opinion doesn't matter to GC.com and nothing will change that.

I would think there are several more names you can add to your post besides the folks at GC.com... :D

Ture but that would be off topic. :D;) And I dont want to be off topic.

What time is it in Singapore?

Edited by Chris&Cindy

Hey, hey, hey. Knock off the bleeding heart liberal cracks.

As a whining bleeding heart liberal, I support the efforts of the moderators to keep this list civil. Consider -

As a college student, you should not attempt to monopolize your Linear Algebra class with a debate over the war in Iraq.

As a shareholder in Intel, you should not attempt to take over the annual meeting with a discussion legal troubles of Michael Jackson.

As a member of your church's congregation, you should not preempt the minister's sermon by debating the value of Vespa scooters.

Yet in each of these situations, you are a 'paying customer' and/or partial 'owner'. There's a time and place for all of these topics, but these particular ones are not it. If you do not wish to discuss geocaching, there's other venues for your conversations. I'd even create one just for you all, if you'd promise to just stay on topic here.

Any takers?

(edited for spelling and grammar; typing quickly to get in before the thread gets closed...)

Edited by yumitori
I was more or less wanting to get the feel of if it was me that was feeling this way or if others had this concern.

You needed to start a new thread to figure that out? :D

How do I download waypoints to my GPS?

Download the software and get more info Here...

Edited by J&MBella

It's amazing how many so called adults can turn into cry babies and bullies when they are behind a keyboard.

I seriously doubt that any of you would speak to each other the same way in person.

I've said it before...Grow up! This is a geocaching forum. Not a debate on goverment or religon.

My 2 cents...

If the forums hadn't gone to crap the last 4 months, there would be no complaints about the current modding.

Look around, how many old-timers do you see posting anymore? Very few, and mostly just the ones that have grown bored with plain-jane geocaching, and would rather pirate caches, pick arguments, and generally do whatever they can to bring some "excitement " into their boring lives.

These forums used to be great, unlike any I've been party to, and I've seen many in the 21yrs since I bought my 1st modem. The last few months the signal to noise ratio here has gone thru the roof. It just hasnt been worth the effort to hit reply in most threads, or even READ them, cause you just know its gonna go to crap in 3 more posts, anyway. If TPTB need a heavy hand to sweep things up, great. When the dust settles, and all the trouble makers and whiners are banned or have moved on to other caching forums to ruin, then maybe this place will be fun again.

Edited by Mopar
It's amazing how many so called adults can turn into cry babies and bullies when they are behind a keyboard.

I seriously doubt that any of you would speak to each other the same way in person.

I've said it before...Grow up! This is a geocaching forum. Not a debate on goverment or religon.

Thats right, this IS a forum, and a forum is a place to be heard. All I am trying to do is get to the bottom of why threads that are not offesive, but are not related to geocaching get closed, or if they happen to get off topic. What I would like, is to know what the progress if any has been made with the policy. I would like to see a update every now and then like when the board was down as to what progress is being made, and thoughts and concerns we might have. The last thing I want is a US vs Them issue.

I created this thread more or less that views can be heard on the MOD/closing of threads issue. I was more or less wanting to get the feel of if it was me that was feeling this way or if others had this concern. I love caching and I think this is a great website.. BUT, I think recently there has been some actions that have been going on in the threads that have not warented being closed. I was just wanting a reason why off topic threads are no longer acceptable.

You really thought the answer to this question had changed since November 27th in this thread? Seriously, why another thread on the same topic? It is tiresome to read over and over, when there are geocaching-related threads like someone asking for help with Cachemate, and nobody's posting there. I would post there, except I don't use Cachemate.

I created this thread more or less that views can be heard on the MOD/closing of threads issue. I was more or less wanting to get the feel of if it was me that was feeling this way or if others had this concern. I love caching and I think this is a great website.. BUT, I think recently there has been some actions that have been going on in the threads that have not warented being closed. I was just wanting a reason why off topic threads are no longer acceptable.

You really thought the answer to this question had changed since November 27th in this thread? Seriously, why another thread on the same topic? It is tiresome to read over and over, when there are geocaching-related threads like someone asking for help with Cachemate, and nobody's posting there. I would post there, except I don't use Cachemate.

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think anybody was forcing you to open this thread over even reply to it. I'm glad you voiced your opinion, but you don't need to complain about something you have controll of.

This being said, there is a reason that there have been 12, 14 or 20 recent posts about moderation policies. It's because a lot of people here are ticked off about the heavy handedness of the  "moderators".  .

Sorry, I see it the other way. There are a handful of people trying to use the forums as their own playground. These are the ankle biters constantly bringing up the subject about moderation. I would bet that if the polls were working, most folks would be in favor of the moderators attempts to bringing the boards back under control. Nothing wrong with the occasional off topic "swing", but there are just too many people with a self-serving attitude diluting the real reason for these forums.

There are some very intelligent people in here that have yet to realize what brought on this censorship. There are a very few that took their "right of speech" to the extreme. They really have nothing to contribute, they just want to be as infammatory as possible. They wish to see how far they can push before being pushed back.

We have always had a similar type in these fourms. The difference being that they could pretty much post and get their thoughts across without starting a flaming war.

Do some research. go back through the fourms and pull up conterversal topics. You will find a handful that are in the midst of the battle. Then pull up general topics that have no flamming, just good Geocaching information. Note...you will not find those same people posting here.

These people are like the "Pirates" they crave attention and feel the only way they can get it is to push the moderators and the rest of us. These are the people you have to blame for the heavey moderation. In order to keep these people in check, the moderators have to apply the same rules to the rest of us. Remember every law ever written was in response for something that someone done. Once the law is in effect then it must be applied evenly.

Hopefully Jeremy will get tired of this eventually and ban these people for life. A small suspension isn't going to stop them. Then the rest of us can get back to where we were before they came along.

El Diablo

Edited by El Diablo
There are some very intelligent people in here that have yet to realize what brought on this censorship. There are a very few that took their "right of speech" to the extreme. They really have nothing to contribute, they just want to be as infammatory as possible. They wish to see how far they can push before being pushed back.

We have always had a similar type in these fourms. The difference being that they could pretty much post and get their thoughts across without starting a flaming war.

Do some research. go back through the fourms and pull up conterversal topics. You will find a handful that are in the midst of the battle. Then pull up general topics that have no flamming, just good Geocaching information. Note...you will not find those same people posting here.

These people are like the "Pirates" they crave attention and feel the only way they can get it is to push the moderators and the rest of us. These are the people you have to blame for the heavey moderation. In order to keep these people in check, the moderators have to apply the same rules to the rest of us. Remember every law ever written was in response for something that someone done. Once the law is in effect then it must be applied evenly.

Hopefully Jeremy will get tired of this eventually and ban these people for life. A small suspension isn't going to stop them. Then the rest of us can get back to where we were before they came along.

El Diablo

It wouldn't be right to ban someone for life just because you and others disagree with what they have to say.

I may not be one of the "old timers" but I think our opinions should count for something other then a target for sarcastic remarks from Jeremy.

Having people disagree with you is part of life and banning them for it is a bit childish. I thought someone of your age would see that. I intend no disrespect by any of this to wards you as you have not said to many things to wards me in disrespect, but this situation is a two way street and there are people on both sides who want to be heard.

I usually agree with Mopar, but I think he's off base here. The tone in these forums took a sudden downturn about the same time the "moderators" started stepping in. Yeah, there were posts in the past that were off topic, some rare personal attacks and the usual garbage you often see in Internet forums, but it was self moderating. If the topic wasn't interesting to the community, it died a quick death. If someone went "off topic" and there was no interest in what he said...same thing.

Once the "moderators" stepped in to "calm things down", the clams hit the fan (and if you've ever tossed raw clams into a fan, you have an idea of the mess it makes.)

Sorry, I see it the other way. There are a handful of people trying to use the forums as their own playground. These are the ankle biters constantly bringing up the subject about moderation.

Uhhhh Jeremy, I thought sockpuppet accounts weren't allowed. How come you get away with one?

Edited by briansnat
I usually agree with Mopar, but I think he's off base here. The tone in these forums took a sudden downturn about the same time the "moderators" started stepping in. Yeah, there were posts in the past that were off topic, some rare personal attacks and the usual garbage you often see in Internet forums, but it was self moderating. If the topic wasn't interesting to the community, it died a quick death. If someone went "off topic" and there was no interest in what he said...same thing.

Once the "moderators" stepped in to "calm things down", the clams hit the fan (and if you've ever tossed raw clams into a fan, you have an idea of the mess it makes.)

Well, of course your entitled to your opinion, even if it's wrong. ;)

I'm pretty sure the chain of events goes like this:

• forums take a noticable turn for the worse
  • people complain and TPTB take notice
  • Level of moderation is stepped up accordingly

Not the other way around.

Sorry, I see it the other way. There are a handful of people trying to use the forums as their own playground. These are the ankle biters constantly bringing up the subject about moderation.

Uhhhh Jeremy, I thought sockpuppet accounts weren't allowed. How come you get away with one?

Briansnat you were one of the people I was talking about when I said we have always had people in here that disagreed. However you have always done it with respect to others, and I greatly admire you for that. There have been many times you have caused me to look at an issue from a different perspective. Your opinions are often very thought provoking.

I'll disagree with you on this statement however. ;) Like I said...go back and read the fourms. They were getting totaly out of hand.

El Diablo

I usually agree with Mopar, but I think he's off base here.  The tone in these forums took a sudden downturn about the same time the "moderators" started stepping in.  Yeah, there were posts in the past that were off topic, some rare personal attacks and the usual garbage you often see in Internet forums, but it was self moderating. If the topic wasn't interesting to the community, it died a quick death. If someone went "off topic" and there was no interest in what he said...same thing.

Briansnat you were one of the people I was talking about when I said we have always had people in here that disagreed. However you have always done it with respect to others, and I greatly admire you for that. There have been many times you have caused me to look at an issue from a different perspective. Your opinions are often very thought provoking.

I'll disagree with you on this statement however. ;) Like I said...go back and read the fourms. They were getting totaly out of hand.

El Diablo

From where I'm standing, the forums never changed until they began to be moderated. The same off topic nonsense was going on since I first logged on way back in the day. And I liked it! I liked it so much that I played along. Sometimes I'll post something good, other times I'll fill the box with fudging nonsensical streams of consciousness.

But then, I was grounded for a week too.... (That was a teaching tool)

Edited by Criminal

I guess we can argue this one until its another dead horse but I remember very specifically that the mods were brought in after all else failed and J and the few others couldn't keep up with the BS.

Honestly I don't see any other reason to do it if all was fine and dandy, that part just doesn't make sense to me.

"Everything is great, lets bring moderators in."

Uhhh no.

"There are problems, lets bring moderators in." That sounds more like it.

The timing is the same no matter how you look at it.

Well, after a long car ride home from work, I may have been jumping and lashing out in the wrong way. I think posting in a busy job setting doesn't let you get your thoughts together before you click the "send" button. After going back and reading earlier threads, I think I'm understanding what the MOD's and the GC.com staff are trying to do.

So, I am publically aplogizing to the MOD's and the GC.com staff as well as the other cachers I brought into this thread. I think if we put as much passion into talking with landowners/park officals, etc, we we be a lot better off and we would have so many new caches that we won't have time to post.

Well, after a long car ride home from work, I may have been jumping and lashing out in the wrong way. I think posting in a busy job setting doesn't let you get your thoughts together before you click the "send" button. After going back and reading earlier threads, I think I'm understanding what the MOD's and the GC.com staff are trying to do.

So, I am publically aplogizing to the MOD's and the GC.com staff as well as the other cachers I brought into this thread. I think if we put as much passion into talking with landowners/park officals, etc, we we be a lot better off and we would have so many new caches that we won't have time to post.

Sorry that's off topic.

Just kidding ;) Well said Weasel.

Edited by J&MBella

I'm sorry to say, but I didn't read all the posts in this thread. I pretty much just read the first one, skimmed a few, then skipped a bunch.

I hope this isn't off topic but I just wanted to say I got out from in front of the monitor and went Geocaching today!!!

Got three finds, a couple of them were very imaginative. One especially had a definite "COOL" factor to it. I'd explain more, but I'm sure it would be off-topic.

But as long as I'm off topic, let me say I went geocaching today!!!!

Thanks to everyone who made it possible.

Bret

Edited by CYBret