How Do You Place Caches

gerper

This is more of a "what is your method for placing caches" question.

Many times, while driving around, I will see a spot and think, "hey, that would be a good place for a cache!", but I don't have a container with a log sheet, goodies, or a "rules" sheet with me. So, I am curious as to if you have "premade" cache containers and keep them in your car, ready to go if you see spot.

Or, do you make up a container and then place it at a pre-determined spot. I am just wondering which method is more popular and why you use it.

I am in the process of placing one and I have found that it is taking me a fairly large amount of time to research the site, to obtain a suitable container and to pin point the coordinates.

I could be wrong here, and it will be interesting to see how others who have more caches actually placed will respond, but I think most people are as methodic and carefull as I am being.

Since one will be bound to maintain the cahce the location needs to be someplace that the owner is willing to and is able to access on a regular basis. I don't think a "spontaneous" cache would work out very well and might lead to a disappointing or frustrating search for other people.

I always plan my caches well in advance; I've never placed one on the spur of the moment. Often I will hide them in batches. I hid 6 micro's over the weekend. I do this when I'm tired of finding caches, and when I've accumulated enough ideas for good hiding spots. By doing a lot of caches at once, my time is used more efficiently. I print out a number of stash notes at once, I buy logbooks and trinkets in bulk at the dollar store and sporting goods store, I spray-paint the containers all at once, etc.

I almost always visit the cache location twice. On the first trip, typically on Saturday, I look for the best location and I determine what container will work best in that spot. Except for caches where an unusual container is an important feature, I don't let the container dictate the hiding place. I also take coordinate readings. That night, I make up the cache containers for placement on Sunday. When I go to hide the cache, I try to do it at a different time of the day in order to confirm the accuracy of my coordinates with a different satellite array.

This is more of a "what is your method for placing caches" question.

Many times, while driving around, I will see a spot and think, "hey, that would be a good place for a cache!", but I don't have a container with a log sheet, goodies, or a "rules" sheet with me. So, I am curious as to if you have "premade" cache containers and keep them in your car, ready to go if you see spot.

Or, do you make up a container and then place it at a pre-determined spot. I am just wondering which method is more popular and why you use it.

It's generally a bad idea to place a geocache without doing some research. For one thing, you have to take the 1/10th mile rule into consideration. And if you're not a premium member, you won't be able to check how close you might be to other caches without verifying it on geocaching.com.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

Edited by Prime Suspect

I think that my question is not being understood. There are places that I think would be good for a cache, but I just don't have them "ready". Having one ready to go makes it that much easier to place, once a spot is found (assuming the research is done, as is making sure it is safe to place and not on private property, etc.).

I wouldn't just drive down the road and "dump off" a cache without researching it or making sure that there are none nearby. Likewise, there was a spot that I thought would have been good for a cache, but the more that I think about it (and have my cache all ready to go), the more I think that I could find a better spot, as I want to make the cache not only fun to place, but much more fun for another person to find, as well as making it worth THEIR time. :D

And if you're not a premium member, you won't be able to check how close you might be to other caches without verifying it on geocaching.com.

Sure you can. When I go out looking for areas I have all caches in the area in my GPS so when I find a spot I bring up the nearest cache and find out how far from it I am, simple really.

My method is one of two ways. First I come up with a cache then I have to find a place to put it. Or secondly I find a place then design a cache for it. I prefer to find a container, plan the cache contents then start thinking of places I've seen or where would be a cool place to place it.

Edited by Firehouse16 & Code3

I usually have cache containers ready to go in my basement. For example, right now I have 3 ammo boxes that are painted (each with different camo), with my own laminated version of the "geocaching letter" glued inside the lid. There are even logbooks and pencils inside. I also usually have a few decon boxes prepared the same way.

If I run into a place that I think would make a great spot for a cache, its just a matter of going home, researching it, tossing in some goodies and placing the cache.

Edited by briansnat

Generally I have an idea and make the cache. Then it's a matter of finding the spot that fits. I have more ideas than I do ability to place caches so I have a backlog of caches that need placing.

Once in a blue moon I get the urge to just place a cache. Then I make a container out of what's handy and just go on a quest to find a spot it will work at.

Something else I think about too is the difficulty of the cache. I want people to visit my caches, have fun finding them and generally enjoy the location. But some caches I want to be found easily, others, well let's just say it may take several visits or quite a while. Some I give hints, others I don't, yet a hint may be in the description, a certain word or wording maybe.

I enjoy hiding as much or more than finding. I have 80 finds and 15 hides. Most are visited pretty regularly, except for the ones out in the boonies! :D

And if you're not a premium member, you won't be able to check how close you might be to other caches without verifying it on geocaching.com.

Sure you can. When I go out looking for areas I have all caches in the area in my GPS so when I find a spot I bring up the nearest cache and find out how far from it I am, simple really.

You missed my point. If you're not a premium member, you're not going to have access to the member-only cache locations. You may have gotten all the caches available in LOC downloads for that area, but you can't know for sure if your violating the 1/10th rule, as MOCs won't be included.

(And yes, I am familiar with the ways to get around the system and discover MOCs. But again, it's something that must be done while on-line.)

I know of lots of places to place caches but why rush the game. And the development of the cache depends on the kind that I wish to create. I usually do

Virtuals, Multis, or traditionals that are involved with some kind of compass work. And with these I'll usually incorporate a long hike; hell why make it easy. With the new guidelines I'm staying away from Virtuals, but have started to incorporate them into the cache as a stage in a multi.

Generally I'll take the coords while on a hike, look at several places and then go home and put it on the map program. I'll write up a possible cache, act like a finder and see if I can find the spot using the clues. And if it works, I'll plant and submit it. One cache in particular took three trips of 70 miles each just to get it working. So some effort and time does go into the creation of a cache.