[memphis] Planning First Cache, Need Advise

ponds

Hey everyone.

I'm going to plant my first cache sometime over christmas break, and am looking for advice on what you guys like.

It's definatly going to be a multi-cache, and will definatly involve puzzle elements (cryptography).

The cryptography part won't be set up so that only nerds can do it. It won't be like the cryptograms in the paper either though (or the ROT13 stuff that's in the hints), true modern cryptography, government grade stuff (most likely bitwise XOR One-time pads, because they're much easier to decrypt without computers than most high grade ciphers, but still at the top when it comes to security). I'll have one of the preliminary caches contain the cipher text, and a few caches containing encryption keys (one real, two or three decoys). Then when you find the crypted text and the key, you decrypt and get the coordinates for the final stage. This way there isn't any real code-cracking involved, but it's still challenging and fun.

Going to make them all ammo cans, so that each cache has a since of finality to it as well, instead of just being a step of a multicache. I have more fun opening ammo cans than I do micros anyway, even though i almost have never taken anything, just like to see the stuff.

The last one will have some neat goodies for the first few people to solve it, mostly crypto/spy related. To go with the theme.

My questions are;

1.) do you think that people would enjoy this? i'm really geeky/passionate when it comes to crypto, and some things that really interest me would bore others to tears.

2.) (for the crypto-minded people) do you think that people who have no background in cryptography would be able to understand this, with detailed instructions? It's mostly just XOR bitflipping and then converting the octal sets to ascii.

3.) what kind of terrain level would be good for this? I know people don't want to do a multicache that involves them finding up to 4 caches with them all taking a full day each. I like the kind that involve at least a miles walk from the nearest parking, but I don't know if thats just me or not. No cliff climbing or anything will be involved that a fat hacker couldn't accomplish (else i couldn't place it :D ).

4.) how far away do you want to see the caches? I'd like to design this to be a multiple day affair. So that someone wouldn't do the whole thing the day that I posted it and get FTF. I don't want it to be a race to be FTF, just people to have fun doing it. I'm thinking 30 miles or so, maybe even a bit more? The final stage can be near the ciphertext stage, because people will have to do the key stage inbetween (key coordinates will be given in the cipher text cache), so theyll have to do a roundabout if its close to stage 1.

I'd like FTF to be special though, so I kinda want to include a USB thumb-drive or a cdrom with some (encrypted) data on it, that FTF should take. Successfully cracking the data will result in an even further step. This part will not be able to be completed by anyone, it will most definatly involve advanced cryptanalysis/cracking skills to get at the data. But you don't have to do it to complete the cache, or to be FTF. Just icing on the cake if the FTF person is able to crack it.

So I'm kinda in a paradox, because I know people will be pushing to get FTF, but I don't want it to be done in a day. Really the only way is to separate them by distance. But how much is too far?

Thanks, look for this in late december or early january.

Be sure to include money and naked women...owwwww...er, Cindy said no naked women and to quit telling you stupid things.

Seriously though. Make it like you want it as part of this is for you as well. It is your cache so make it fun for yourself too. If you make it hard it may take us a bit longer to find it, but we will have fun with it most likely.

If you are familiar with the painter Bob Ross then,"It's your world...do what you want with it". :D

Chris? Quoting Bob Ross? You painting little birds and shrubs and clouds with your hammer?

I'm looking forward to this cache. It should be fun from what you've described. Keep in mind that you'll have to maintain the stages. My simple multi out at Shelby Farms has taken a lot more maintenance than I had expected when I placed it. 3.5 mile hike and I think I've done it like 8 times while placing and maintaining it. :D It's due for another check, too...

Chris? Quoting Bob Ross? You painting little birds and shrubs and clouds with your hammer?

I'm looking forward to this cache. It should be fun from what you've described. Keep in mind that you'll have to maintain the stages. My simple multi out at Shelby Farms has taken a lot more maintenance than I had expected when I placed it. 3.5 mile hike and I think I've done it like 8 times while placing and maintaining it. :D It's due for another check, too...

Not to derail the thread but let me know and I will come with you as I need to find it. Gib might want to come as well.

Yeah I am still working on a multi I started a while back they can be time consuming, but anything worthwhile is I guess. ;)

Gib might want to come as well.

Yeah Hammer, I'd love to hunt it with you. It's the closest one to my house that I have not found yet (that and "Briarpatch", heh heh, you know how hard those micros are to find in the woods ;) )

Ponds, I'm really looking forward to your cache. Sounds like a great idea. I think most folks enjoy a good challenge. I'm not sure if 30 miles between legs is a good idea though...but it would sure give ol JamieZ a good workout on the bike ;)

Regarding the crytography, It is my impression that geocachers in general are a pretty geeky/techie bunch and would welcome a new challenge especially if it involved instructions (sorry if I offended any of you nerds out there in denial but, come on, you hunt lunchboxes with what? I'm sure everyone of us also knows how to program the VCR, right? Or could back BEFORE you got the TiVo)

Mile hikes are good if you want to help discourage it being undertaken in a single day as well as the distance between the caches but like Bitbrain said, it can become a chore to maintain. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with it and looking forward to the challenge.

Alright sounds awesome.

People don't maintain like every week right? I don't actually live in memphis, down in starkville MS (MSU student, yes the school that should get kicked out of the SEC because they suck so bad at the game of football). I just come to visit my parents in memphis every three weeks or so. Is checking about every month too sparse?

Hrm I thought for a second that that board had something to do with trade wa......OH HOLY /expletive/ it does, on it like a hobo on a ham sandwich.

Alright sounds awesome.

People don't maintain like every week right? I don't actually live in memphis, down in starkville MS (MSU student, yes the school that should get kicked out of the SEC because they suck so bad at the game of football). I just come to visit my parents in memphis every three weeks or so. Is checking about every month too sparse?

Hrm I thought for a second that that board had something to do with trade wa......OH HOLY /expletive/ it does, on it like a hobo on a ham sandwich.

Yeah I don't think Tennessee Geocacher (our fearless and most excellent cache approver ;) ) would have a problem with you being able to be in Memphis once every 3 weeks. For the most part the cachers will tell you when something goes wrong with the cache, so don't feel like you need to run out and check it after every find or anything.

Yeah TW, and a bunch of other cool stuff. ;)

Sounds great Ponds! I love doing Multis, and adding the encryption will just add to the fun. If you need ideas just hit some of the local Multis in the area.

I like caches in parks that have trails for my Mt. Bike. A nice long bike ride is great!

Terrain wise the harder the better. (A little water has never stopped me) heh heh

I prefer to have the whole multi in the same general area but thats just me.

Most of all it looks like you put alot of thought into this cache. THANK YOU! I've appreciated quality caches much more lately.