Rural / Urban Caches

sunsetnkc

I was just curious about this. I have been caching for a couple years with most of my finds so far the rural variety. Well this past weekend I had some friends over and decided to hit some urban caches in Johnson County Kansas City, which is suppose to be the wealthy part of town so I figured there would be nice caches, and about 30 minutes away from my home. We hit 10 caches in one day with not one having an item worth trading. Most had a very few poor items or junk drawer throw outs. The rural caches I have been to, and placed usually have 10 to 20 decent items inside. So is this what others have found? If this is the norm I will stick to the rural variety.

I am not in it for the junk either, but I know what you are saying. It seems like it isn't even worth the effort to carry some of the junk into the woods that you find in a cache. The urban ones just get hit more often and depleted I think and that is why there is less "good stuff" in them.

save the toys for the kids and have fun with the finds. :)

I am not in it for the loot either, but I do carry at least 6 trade items with me at all times, and the kids don't get anything out of signing the logbook, they want to trade an item.

Maybe it just comes back to the 'trade equal' saying that doesn't seem to get followed even though it is mentioned everywhere.....

The new trend I'm seeing is more caches pre-stocked with crap. I've been the 3rd or 4th finder on a few they were full of junk not worth $5 in total. The first couple of finders were TNLN so either they lied in their logs or the owner didn't care. It doesn't seem to matter whether they are urban or rural.

Who cares you bagged 10 cache that day. :) I find that with older caches. Usually I'll pitchin and donate some decent stuff to it. I'de rather help out than complain about it, Unless the cache owner is infamous for not maintaining their caches. Then I log a TNLNSL DPM.

bigredmed wrote: ...Ebay Wholesale lots...

I've had great success picking up lots on ebay. I just got a lot of 144 Compass/Clock/Temtrature dashboard mounts for $24. LED/Carabiners, pen lights, compass key chains...... You name it.

Edited by J&MBella

I worked hard at maintaining the quality of my caches for the first two years I cached. Not any more. My favorite was, "took dollar left quarter."

The first rule of geocaching as defined by me:

"No matter how worthless the items contained in a cache they will be replaced with something of lesser value."

Just leave a tuna sandwich for the next person...always a good trade item.  :)

This is way better then the hamsters that The Leprechauns leave in the caches. We have to rush out and find the caches right after them to save them from running out of air in those ammo canss

Hampsters will keep a good long time. They are also more tender when you grill them...what did I say something wrong? :)