Thanksgiving Geocaching Trips

wray_clan

I just finished logging our five finds in the Monterey/Pacific Grove area...our family goes there every year to get together....and of course, cache. (I think we've inspired a member-to-be)

Anybody else go somewhere to cache this weekend?

Monday...you'll never take me..noOOooOoOooo!!!

Visited Bethlehem, PA - the city founded by Saxony emigrants in 1740s. The museum guide asked us where we are from and explained that they have mostly Germans and Czechs visiting :-)

Found only one virtual there, was too busy with sightseeing and fun at Christkindlmarkt (by the way, a nice touch with German signs, Eingang-Entrance is ok, but I'm somewhat doubtful about Restrooms-Badenzimmer :-)

Friday morning my wife asked me to go to the store for a few things for a dinner party we were going to have that night. I grabbed the list and left. Just so happens I had my GPS in the car. I found one cach on the way to the store and searched for but did not find on other one on the way home. When I finally arrived home my wife asked me why did it take me so long. I just smiled and said that the shopping traffic was very bad. That was not a lie. I just started caching and love it.

We went to Richmond, VA.... my home town. There are some good caches there created by a few very clever geocachers but considering the size of the area I surprised that there were not more. There are still several for us to do, so I look forward to our next visit. Between eating and Christmas shopping we only were able to hit three. We found one that was not maintained very well, it had been depleted and filled with junk. Cleaned it up a bit and headed out on our way. It looks like this weekend is going to be rainy on the east coast this weekend, very sad.... so many caches, so little time!

:)

We planted a cache on Wednesday.

We cached not on Thanksgiving. :D

Earlier in the week a mess of folk had wanted to meet about 75 miles away to cache, so I figured I'd meet them early on Friday and spend the day out and about. It was horribly wet and windy at home. Just wet there, but only one person besides myself showed up. A little disappointing, but we worked with it.

Later on in the day another faction, if you will, had decided to converge on Criminal's new cache, Write It Yourself and have a go. I'd been there a few days prior, with kids in tow, to scope out the area (it was too dark to stay and search with small kids - no easy in and out with them here) and had a rip-roaring good time on my return to the area on Friday.

Of course, had I not been the one to find and retrieve it, I may not feel as ebullient about the whole thing.

I also met three new/new-to-me cachers in the process as well as having a chance to cache with a good friend of mine.

On Saturday I took my kids out to retrieve a cache for another friend who located it in an area scheduled to be replanted - odds were high it would disappear for real in the next week or two. We also hit another in the same area, and liked it so much we went up to the highest point in them thar hills and hid our own.

On Sunday, with weather defying any report of rain, we took a ferry out to one of the many small islands in Puget Sound and found another three there, and two on the mainland near the ferry dock. Came home and planted another cache that had been in the works.

Much travelling, but only 14 caches logged when all was said and done.

Trying to decide what's in the works for THIS week... without having to drive terribly far away to get it.

-=-

michelle

Thursday morning took the family (OzMeg, OzIan, the wife/mom, and myself), my sister-in-law's family (Nathannah, HananaBanana, son and husband) and my father-in-law's family (FlowerDoc and his wife) out for some local caches. Grabbed three finds for the out-of-towners before heading back for turkey. (My daughter, OzMeg, was not excited about visiting caches we had already nabbed--not as much fund when you don't get to log a find...)

Friday afternoon I played hooky to go out with my father-in-law for some caching on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Got 4 finds for him and 3 new for me. Had a great time in the snow! (My father-in-law knows what graupel is; he also likes Star Trek. You can't pick your wife's father!)

Saturday I chauffered my sister-in-law on a rushed 4-cache stop at some of my locally placed caches. It was a ton of fun watching her be close, but not find the cache!

All in all (though I only found 3 caches) a great few days!! I am the reason they are involved in geocaching, and it was good to see that they are enjoying themselves.

OzGuff