Gps Questions

trekkiegirl

Hi, I'm brand new to geocaching, last Christmas my husband gave me a Magellan GPS 300, because I had expressed a passing interest, since then I've had no idea what to do with it. Then I read a short article on geocaching in NG Adventure, logged on, and discovered something that sounds like terrific fun, not to mention several caches seem to be close to home! However, from what I'm reading, and trying to do with my unit, I have a feeling I need something better. Should I accidentally drop my unit in the lake (don't want to hurt my husband's feelings) and start all over, and if I do, what should I get? My budget would be $100-200. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think the GPS 300 will do what I need it to in order to play.

I hope this isn't too long of a post, and I hope to hear from someone soon.

Altho I am not familiar with that particular model of GPS if it shows Lat and Long out to 3 digits on the right of the decimal point it will be more than enough for geocaching. Outside of a goto funtion and being able to store way points you will be able to find caches just fine. If you need specific answers on how to input stuff let us know.

We met a fellow cacher "longwalker" that has almost 800 caches to his credit and he uses the same unit you have. There is more to the hunt than having the latest and greatest GPSr. I suggest you do what we did,go out with a seasoned cacher and see how it is done, then head out on your own. The biggest part is learning how to think like someone that is hiding something. Now go out and have fun.

I just read through the manual for the GPS300 and it looks like you'd be able to use it for most caching outings. It should get you to the right coordinates, anyway. After that, you'll have to do the standard looking around. :)

Once you find a few & decide that you're hooked, you'll probably have a better idea of what you want to upgrade to. I prefer the Magellan SporTrak and Meridian, but there are a lot of people with stronger opinions about what to use. :)

I used a 310 for 6 of my 7 finds. It doesn't go to the 3rd decimal point but it got me close enough. Then I just did what was suggested above and looked around for where I would hide it.

I decided since I wanted do this I upgraded to a SporTrack and had one find and one DNF today.

DNF

Hi - like trekkiegirl I'm also new to geocaching. In the past few days I spent about 6 hrs looking for one cache, 2 hrs on another - neither were successful. Both were a difficulty "2". I'm beginning to think I am just not cut out for this! :)

I am using a Garmin GPS III Plus. I have not found much on the internet about this unit, and am wondering if any of my bad luck is due to the equipment... I am guessing since the satellites update, there's no "calibration" necessary on the GPS. Is that true? Anyone have ideas on how accurate my Garmin is, or how I can check accuracy?

Thanks folks!

Trekkiegirl - I know of people who geocache just using a map and compass - no GPS receiver at all... :) I'm guessing that the unit you have will be good for starting out. :)

Hi - like trekkiegirl I'm also new to geocaching. In the past few days I spent about 6 hrs looking for one cache, 2 hrs on another - neither were successful. Both were a difficulty "2". I'm beginning to think I am just not cut out for this!

Aiighh! Don't give up - I've been for a few months, but I only have 10 or so finds to my name at the moment. Even so, I have 2 DNF's (Did Not Find). They can be frustrating, but don't let it get you - when you find that first cache, it's magic.... I went back to my first DNF not too long after and eventually found it - almost in an incredibly obvious hiding spot! :) Keep hunting, and good luck!

Here is a link to the manual for the Garmin GPS III Plus.

Here is a link to the manual for the Garmin GPS 175.

It appears the 300 & 310 are not on their website...

Also, they (Garmin) has a good free read for GPS Beginners. Look for the thread created by me near the bottom of this forum page (might be on page 2 by now).

One final note, if your GPS gives you "Bearing" numbers, when you get within 30 feet or so of the cache, use the Bearing numbers with a real compass - if your GPS has a "direction finder" but not a real (electronic) compass, it will get you all screwed up! :)

Good luck, and keep caching!

Edited by New England n00b
It appears the 300 & 310 are not on their website...

That's because the GPS 300 and 310 are Magellan, not Garmin. Here's a link to the manual for the GPS300: Magellan GPS 300 manual

They should get you close enough to find the cache. The main thing is this: When you get within about 30 feet or so, ignore the GPS and start thinking like a geocacher, i.e. "where would I hide a container around here?". This will become easier after you find a few. Use the hints as well.

When you are setting up the cache coordinates in your GPS, make sure your GPS is set to the same format. Coordinates on GC.com are given in a Degree/Decimal Minute format (XX*XX.XXX). Other options are Decimal Degrees (XX.XXXX), and Degrees Minutes Seconds (XX*XX'XX") If you are reading and inputting one way, but your GPS is actually formatted another, the coordinates will be off. Also, make sure your map datum is set right as well. I believe GC.com uses WGS84. There should be a section in the menu on your GPS to set the datum and coordinate format.

Hang in there, it gets easier after a few finds, although they are usually always challenging!

Edited by 4x4van
When you are setting up the cache coordinates in your GPS, make sure your GPS is set to the same format.

Could this be my problem? *GASP* I hope so! Wouldn't that be great. I notice when I put my coord's in, it had me out in the Pacific Ocean... I wouldn't say I'm obsessed with finding that stubborn cache (but my husband would :D ) but I'll try again tomorrow. Even if I'm not finding any finds, I sure am getting good use out of my mountain bike.

Thanx for the support N.E. & 4X4

Hi - like trekkiegirl I'm also new to geocaching. In the past few days I spent about 6 hrs looking for one cache, 2 hrs on another - neither were successful. Both were a difficulty "2". I'm beginning to think I am just not cut out for this! :D

I am using a Garmin GPS III Plus. I have not found much on the internet about this unit, and am wondering if any of my bad luck is due to the equipment... I am guessing since the satellites update, there's no "calibration" necessary on the GPS. Is that true? Anyone have ideas on how accurate my Garmin is, or how I can check accuracy?

Thanks folks!

You're right, there isn't any 'calibration' (as I assume you are meaning it) required. The easiest way to check it's accuracy, is to compare it to another unit. One possible cause of innacuracies would be your datum. Make sure that your unit is set to WGS84 vice NAD27 or another. If you don't have one, you can read the manual here for more info on this.

Make sure your unit has a good lock - take it outside in the general area you are going to be caching, and let it sit for a good 10 - 15 minutes after it has acheived lock.

I just had a quick look at it on the Garmin website and it looks like a pretty good unit to me. Remember that even the best GPSr is not going to let you walk right up to the cache. There is still some (or more often a lot) of digging around once you get to the general area. Try and hook with a local cacher and go out for a day, get an idea of how other people do it. Good luck!

Altho I am not familiar with that particular model of GPS if it shows Lat and Long out to 3 digits on the right of the decimal point it will be more than enough for geocaching. Outside of a goto funtion and being able to store way points you will be able to find caches just fine. If you need specific answers on how to input stuff let us know.

Thanks for all the replies! Here's my plan-- I'm resetting this thing. When I get to step 4, it asks for the elevation. How do I find that? It says if I don't know it, leave it at 0. Is it important to have the correct elevation? I haven't had any trouble locking onto satellites here, I just didn't know what to do next! I "landmarked" a restaurant about 25 miles (road) from home, and the directions on the GPS, if I had followed it, had me going 61 miles in the wrong direction (see why I'm confused?).

Anyway, I'm going to go look for my first cache this weekend. I'll keep checking back for help on getting set up, and let you know how it goes.

Oh, someone mentioned that people have been doing this with just a compass and map-- I read about something similar in England years ago- I thought it sounded cool then too!

When I first got my GPS, I went to find my first cache and wandered around trying to figure out which navigation screen to use. Needless to say, I didn't find that cache that day. I went home, walked up the street, set a waypoint, then went back home. I did a "go to" that waypoint, used the compass screen, and found my way to the corner. Not too challenging, but I did get the idea. I messed around like that a couple more times, figured out I needed to slow down so my readings could catch up to where I was, and then I was ready to find a waypoint that I didn't know where it was! When your GPS gets you close though, you just have to look for the most likely place and/or read the hint. Have fun! I love this game. ;)

--Sage

You do not need to put an elevation in when resetting the GPSr.

To check your GPSr for accuracy and repeatability I suggest you go to some spot (like a stop sign) and enter a waypoint. Now move at least 100 yards away and do a goto for that spot. This will give some pratice and let you see how your GPSr relates its information to you. You will already know where the waypoint is, so this will make it easier to understand what the GPSr is telling you. Try going to the waypoint from several different directions also.

Hope this helps.

John

halpena, I owned a GPS III Plus. This is a fine unit and works well for Geocaching. The thing about GPS accuracy is that you have to allow for the GPS error on your part and the part of the cache hider. When I search for a cache I get as close as I can according to number of feet showing to the waypoint. After I am as close as I can get to zero, I then assume that the cache could be fifty feet in any direction. At that point I am through with the GPS, I start searching all likely locations and sometimes "the force" helps me find the cache. see ya, jeff'

All good points here! I use an eTrex Legend, and once it shows I'm within 20 or 30 feet, I forget it and start thinking like a stasher. Works pretty well. Another hint for you: take along a printout of the cache page, and a compass. Use the compass for your last 30 feet or so, because most GPS units have a directional finder that looks like a compass, though it quits working when you stop moving. I'm not familiar with your particular unit, but the manual should tell you if it has a magnetic or electronic compass feature. If it does, you don't need the extra compass.