How Far Would You Go?

AlsidPrime

This question arose, as i pondered the idea of puting a GeoCache on the top of "Mt. Golden ears" In Golden ears Provincial park In the lower-mainland B.C.

It's a 2-3 day hike For all but the fitest of climbers..... 14 km... with an altitude change of 1500 meters. how many of you would go for it? (keep in mind... i plan on puting some half decent loot in it :ph34r: ) I've climbed the mountain before... and let me tell you... it's no afternoon breaze... you have to be preaty Fit to climb it...... So i'm just needing some input on this, to see if there's a large enough "demand" for the cache.... Thanks!

I’m of the camp that not all caches need to be found by me. Also, I do not like to suffer for my passion; at that point passion turns decidedly to Obsession. But that’s just me. Just because I would not go for a cache is no reason not to put one out, I am sure that there will be plenty to people willing to go for it. Just not me.

So go for it and make sure that the prizes will make it worth the effort and make sure that the area it gets placed in is reasonably safe since you would feel horrible if someone got hurt going for it.

And don’t get your heart broken if only two people get to it a year.

DirtRunner.

I suppose I would go for it.

In the mountains near here (Calgary), there are a few caches on top of peaks and in other gnarly locations. Some have been visited; others haven't. I just put one on top of a mountain near Lake Louise, and I don't expect it to get a visitor until the snows have left now.

So long as the journey and destination are rewarding, I think you'll get visits from the gnarlier cachers in your area. I think those attributes are more important than the treasure in the cache. That being said, there's no reward like claiming a "first to find" card. :ph34r:

I might give it a try as I had fun with this cache.

I would definitely go ahead and place the cache. It may only get a few visitors a year but I think we need a variety of caches of various difficulty to keep everyone from the novices to the experts interested. Besides the maintenance trips will keep you in shape. :ph34r:

I think there's still a small group of hardcore geocachers out there that can and would enjoy the adventure of doing one hike in cache rather than racing around urban areas to pad there all important numbers. It's pretty sad when the hardest part about finding a cache is finding a parking spot. These GPSR's work just too well.

Just to boost the GPS aspect of such a long hike, why not make it a multi. No maintainance tags with the next coord's could be place along the way. For that matter even blank markers placed at points of interest would still be fun to find and be a great way for you to be virtual tourguide of your favourite trail.

Edited by eroyd

I too was thinking of putting a cache on top of Golden Ears but when I looked at the mess people were making up there recently (lighting a fire on the heli-landing pad, defecating outside the front door of the shelter, making shortcuts between the switchbacks, etc) I decided it would be best not to encourage people to hike there.

There are different challenges in this game, and different elements that make it fun, but I think that for overall satisfaction, I would take a day to do something that would have visual rewards at the end, as well as being satisfied at having accomplished a physical feat. The numbers thing is fun, but it should be tempered from time to time, with the places in nature that keep us humble, such as:

Plantman 3

Mt. Empress

Leech Falls

Hmm some interesting feedback.... I especialy like the idea of a multicache.... I'll definitly go for that.... With each cache giving the coordanates of the next.... though to make sure a trip wouldn't be ruined... i think all the coordanates would be put in the spoiler hints... (ie: forty nine degrees north eighteen minuites....... etc) just so even if you don't find one cache you can find the final one... and not have to have that "wasted a day of my life" feeling..... I'm thinking waterproof match containers with a slip of paper for the next one... Should be dificult enough :)....

Next Issue: What items? Now myself being a highschool student... (i'm obviously an oddball) My wallet is usualy .... yea self explanitory.... though i'm still wanting idea's that would make this trip worth while... and see if the folks wont pay for some of it :) gotta love parents.

Now i am very aware that the trip in its self is worth it. and the view from the peek is just .... awe inspiring..... but it's always nice to have that little added incentive to get up there! :)

thanks for the input!

eroyd's Toys in the Attic has only been visited three times, but lots of people use the trail. You shouldn't place a cache only thinking how often it will be visited, but how will those who make the effort enjoy the experience. If you figure it is worth the trip, do it!

cachewidow

And for the record, MBC and I were in the vicinity when Plantman made his find. Daylight was not on our side. It's definitely one I'd try again, weather permitting, but there's one thing I would do differently. When I go, it will be the only cache I do that day, not the 5th one, at the end of the day, like MBC and Plantman insisted. It's a fantastic spot, and definitely worth visiting. :)

Why not put a series of caches (say 3 or 4) along the route? This way, cachers can log a few finds making the trip even more worthwhile (although I've been to the peak of Golden Ears and the view is reward enough). There are several points that are worthy of a cache along the way. The other aspect of this is that someone who is not capable or motivated to make the trip all the way, can still experience the beauty of the area by picking up a few of the closer caches along the route.

I placed a number of caches in Indian Arm last summer with the thought that if someone is going to make the effort to make the 23km paddle up to the top of the arm they can pick up a half dozen finds along the way.

I think the saying goes....Hide It and they will come....as for the prize or 1st finder prize I think that is the location and the bragging rights which you recieve for the completion of the cache.....

as for plantman#3

when you get close to the rope you may see a lost can of coolant which leaped from my pocket and slid into the lower depths :) , shortly after the bridge was erected....well before I knew of geocaching........Gg

I say go for it too... As far as contents... well, making it to the cache should be reward enough; however, if you want to put something of value and funds are limited, add a single item of say $30 and let people know that these are the rules of the game... they have to exchange something of slightly greater value... :) Someone who will undertake a day hike to get to a cache, should be "trustworthy" enough to stick to the rules.

Take care and good luck... let us know if you place it.

Edited by Decodoppler

Welly then, I'll definitly place it (them)... i'll make it a Series of caches... As J5 has advised...... i'm thinking 4 would be good.... i'll make them "easier" to find the farther up you go, mainly because the higher it is... the more unlikely of someone "bumping' into it. and well... you'll be spent too.

I'm thinking lock&locks for the 3 lower containers... and this Really snazzy 20 dollar container from Coast mountain... it even has a high alltitude preasure release valve... and is Garunteed waterproof.... bascily a container designed for caching... just because ... it really looked cool!... lol dadgum youth... their like crows... always attracted to shinny objects...

One of my main issues about the cache's is my shatty GPS ... (meridian Gold) Which for some stupid dadgum reason... has a lovely accuracy of between 100 and 400 meters.... and god only knows why... so either i get my chirstmas preasent early.... ;)

or does anyone want to help me on this one? lol

As for the Idea's on loot, i'll make the 3 cache's leading to the main cache the usual trinkets... and i'll leave the usual loot in the last one, but i'll leave the option of a "sweet" Item, to be traded with equal or greater value... lol (within reason though... i'd hate to see someone try to out-do someone who forgot their GPS in there :D )

I'll be doing the cache's over the chirstmas break... (i'll be snowshoeing it :D ) should be a blast,

Thanks for the Very usefull input!

{edit: added some stuff}

Edited by AlsidPrime(MountainCacher)

OK,

Number 1:

DO NOT! And I mean DO NOT put anything out there if your GPS is reading 1-4 hundred meters off.

Number 2:

Get your GPS to a Meridian Repair Depot in your area. The Meridian is a fine unit and there is no reason to toss it if it can be repaired. Go to the Magellan Web Site and look up the details about servicing the unit in your area. They usually take a few weeks but upon the unit's return it usually will come with some free swag and who doesn't like that?

Number 3:

Snow shoeing? Up a mountain??! What are you nuts??! :D I know your excited, but let the idea mellow for a few weeks if not months, as you keep turning it over in your head you'll be able to make it better and better upon each review.

Other than that, I wish I had your spunk

DirtRunner.

Edited by DirtRunner

As for the Idea's on loot, i'll make the 3 cache's leading to the main cache the usual trinkets... and i'll leave the usual loot in the last one, but i'll leave the option of a "sweet" Item, to be traded with equal or greater value... lol (within reason though... i'd hate to see someone try to out-do someone who forgot their GPS in there ;) )

I'll be doing the cache's over the chirstmas break... (i'll be snowshoeing it :D ) should be a blast,

I really, really wish you wouldn't put any caches on Golden Ears. The last thing that poor mountain needs is a bunch of geocachers running around poking through rock piles etc. Yes I know most geocachers are respectful of the environment but it's the few who aren't that will ruin it. (There is an example on one of Hayward caches where the guy was too lazy to walk the 100 or so meters up the trail so he cut through the blackberries on a rather unstable hillside. And yes, I'm too lazy too grab the url).

As for actually making it up Golden Ears during the Christmas break, I'd be very impressed. I'd be surprised if the road was even open, it seems to be closed 2-3 times a week already.

1: I wont be placing the cache's with that inacurate of a GPS...... i'm not That... Yes...

2: Snowshoeing up the mountain.... Can't be that hard ??? ;) besides... if the going got tuff.... i'd just get... going..... i have that oddly odd.... Perseverance thing.... (youth'ness)

3: Regarding The issue TLG brought up, in my own personal opinion, I believe any GeoCacher that actully took the effort to go UP the mountain, would be a dedicated cacher, who would take the principle's of geocaching to heart. And would MAKE sure that The pristine wilderness of golden ears is left un-damaged.... i'd make sure that it wasn't more then 1 meter off the regular trail.... If in your Honnest opinion You think it really shouldn't be placed.... Let's have a poll on it... :P

4: Thank you.... i like to think i have Lot's O' spunk ;)

Alsid Prime,

We'll be looking forward to doing your new adventure cache. If it wasn't for work I'd have gone for your new one already. :-)

If you are looking for some really interesting, challenging, exciting and excellent caches that have a similar feel, look for caches placed by AlleyKatz.

The cache is called A Deactived Adventure. It's an EXCELLENT hike in and out with amazing views. It's close to Hope (or just South West of it) if I recall correctly. Definitely worth the trip! Another good one by AlleyKatz that ends up on a beatiful lake is called Old Tales Of A Lumberjack. Someone recently complained about the walk in that's on an old logging road. I found it interesting, especially the signs in along the way. Can't remember what it was about, but something to do with rejuvinating the forest or something like that. It's a cool spot! If you go now, make sure you head out early enough as you don't want to get caught coming out of there in the dark.

RobertM

Forgot to mention. If you are looking for an interesting, not too difficult, hike to a really great scenic spot then you should try Jomarac5 and my cache at Lindeman Lake. Jomarac5's is called Looking Down Lindeman and mine is called Looking Across Lindeman. Not sure if you've ever been to Lindeman Lake. It's an awesome spot. The hike in is not too difficult, but you'll work up a sweat I'm sure as it's uphill all the way in. Coming out is a breeze as it's downhill all the way.

The cache is called A Deactived Adventure. It's an EXCELLENT hike in and out with amazing views. It's close to Hope (or just South West of it) if I recall correctly. Definitely worth the trip! Another good one by AlleyKatz that ends up on a beatiful lake is called Old Tales Of A Lumberjack. Someone recently complained about the walk in that's on an old logging road. I found it interesting, especially the signs in along the way. Can't remember what it was about, but something to do with rejuvinating the forest or something like that. It's a cool spot! If you go now, make sure you head out early enough as you don't want to get caught coming out of there in the dark.

That would be me! It wasn't really a complaint was it? I guess I was expecting something different since the City of Mission webpage listed that hike as challenging. I meant no disrespect to 'Alleykatz' and the cache.

I have 'A Deactivated Adventure' in my GPSr but I walked that road years ago (for work) and just haven't brought myself to walk it for play. Thanks for reminding me about it.

As for the Golden Ears cache, you (Alsid Prime) may have difficulty getting to the top this time of year (snow!) plus it might be difficult to hide anything in the snow. I hiked up a little bit last week and the snow level was quite low. I wouldn't be surprised if there was several feet up top by now.

That would be me! It wasn't really a complaint was it? I guess I was expecting something different since the City of Mission webpage listed that hike as challenging.

Hi tlg,

No offence meant by my post. :-) I was just mentioning someone's opinion compared to mine and that AlsidPrime might enjoy the hike.

RobertM

Hey - perfect time for this topic to come up. I'm nearing my 100th find and looking for a quality cache to do for it - something more than a park & grab. This past summer I did Eagle Ridge, enjoyed it very much, and would like to do something similar for my 100th. Problem is I don't want to deal with deep snow.

I've already emailed AlsidPrime about the snow conditions around his new cache, but I suspect that by the time I go for my 100th (probably between Christmas & New Years) there'll be too much snow there.

So today I've been looking at some of the other Greater Vancouver area caches that involve a decent hike, and what do you know - Old Tales of a Lumberjack is on my short list. So is the Spy-glass / Blood Beach pair of caches, land route (figured if I do one I'd do both). Does anyone know what the winter conditions of these are like?

Or any other good cache hikes in the 2-4 hour round trip range?

Thanks,

SylvrStorm

Sylvrstorm,

Both Old Tales of a Lumberjack (one of my all-time favourites -- it's a beautiful spot), and Spy-Glass should be clear of snow as both are fairly low elevation.

Another good one to consider is Crossing Hayward -- it's a very cool multi that requires a bit of hiking (although not as far as the two above).

Hey, if you're interested in doing a couple caches up Indian Arm instead, get in touch with me, I'd be happy to take you up there in my kayak.

-----

AlsidPrime,

Have to admire your gumption.

With regard to placing a cache at Golden Ears -- I would agree with others that the access to Golden Ears at this time of the year is going to be questionable. In addition, because of the coming winter, it's unlikely that you'll get any traffic on that cache until after next Spring. Why not hold off until late spring to place your caches there? Chances are, it will be a lot safer for you to make the trek at that time as well.

When I placed my caches up Indian Arm, I fully expected that they would only get visited once or twice a year -- the only reason that they all got visited this year is because I organized a kayaking cache event to paddle to the top of the arm. Perhaps after placing your caches, you might want to organize an overnight cache event of your own -- I'd be interested in doing it. Just a thought.

Another good one to consider is Crossing Hayward -- it's a very cool multi that requires a bit of hiking (although not as far as the two above).

If you were real keen, you could turn the Crossing Hayward cache into a 16km hike (an easy hike BTW). Park your vehicle at the first spot and keep on walking.

(Easy hike terrain-wise I mean)

Edit typo.

Edited by tlg
Both Old Tales of a Lumberjack (one of my all-time favourites -- it's a beautiful spot), and Spy-Glass should be clear of snow as both are fairly low elevation.
Thanks for the info.

Thanks - I missed that one as I scanned the list of caches looking for terrain 3 or higher.

Hey, if you're interested in doing a couple caches up Indian Arm instead, get in touch with me, I'd be happy to take you up there in my kayak.
Definitely interested, just don't know if I can do it. I was very jealous of the group you took up in September. It's hard for me to get a whole day for caching though. Usually the most I can arrange is 4-5 hours in a day. I'll keep it in mind though, and if I ever get a chance I'll drop you a line.

Thanks,

SylvrStorm

So today I've been looking at some of the other Greater Vancouver area caches that involve a decent hike, and what do you know - Old Tales of a Lumberjack is on my short list. So is the Spy-glass / Blood Beach pair of caches, land route (figured if I do one I'd do both). Does anyone know what the winter conditions of these are like?

I'd be keen into going to Blood Beach / Spy Glass with you and perhaps a group of others. I have not done any of them and hear it's a good hike in.

I'd definitly be into Going for a group cache for Blood Beach and spy glass... and what ever other cache's in the area...

I am also jellous about the trip up indian arm, ... i wanna see another one of those organized. So i don't have to go rent a kayak and end up lost in the middle of nowhere.... wait... that sounds like a blast! :P I think there should be more event cache's around here, just because i KNOW we have the trails, and most likely the people interested in it... that and it's always fun getting out with those with the exact same obsession :P

one area i'm planing on puting a cache, (i don't know if anyone's been there) but if you go to the top of pit lake, there's an old logging road, and if you follow it up, (21 km up? maybe more) You arive at a very very awesome Hot spring, It's another overnight journey , but .... i mean honnestly..... hot springs... a geocache or two to boot!... how could you lose?

one area i'm planing on puting a cache, (i don't know if anyone's been there) but if you go to the top of pit lake, there's an old logging road, and if you follow it up, (21 km up? maybe more) You arive at a very very awesome Hot spring, It's another overnight journey , but .... i mean honnestly..... hot springs... a geocache or two to boot!... how could you lose?

Hi AlsidPrime,

I may be mistaken but I think Canadazuuk had a cache up at a hot spring somewhere around that area. Not sure if you are able to see it as it may be a Members Only cache.

RobertM

AlsidPrime,

I found the link to the page. As I said, it's a Members Only cache so I'm not sure if you can view it.

The link is:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...73-c66ec6233917

GC Code: GCG4VT

Not sure if it would be okay for me to post the coords here for you to get an idea of the area it's in as it's MO. I think contact Canadazuuk for the details.

RobertM

Well then, in that case... i personaly havn't been there, but i know those who have... if you go during the right time of year, it's the best place to just "be" and relax... Fishing, GeoCaching, Soaking... I'm thinking i will

Now regarding The Group cache for Blood Beach, and spy glass... how many people would be into that? and who wants to be in charge of organizing it?

And now it seems that SylverStorm has brought it to my attention... as to why my GPS sucks.... I feel blatently stupid because of it... But what can ya do? lol Now does anyone Know how to Change it from NAD27 to WGS84? :rolleyes:

The worst part about that is... i'm sure a few people have told me that.... i just kind of shruged it off.... DER... lol

And now it seems that SylverStorm has brought it to my attention... as to why my GPS sucks.... I feel blatently stupid because of it... But what can ya do? lol Now does anyone Know how to Change it from NAD27 to WGS84?

Not sure if Alsid Prime mentioned it here in the forums, but his GPSr is a Meridian Gold. Since my GPSr experience is limited to my Etrex, I have no idea how to change the datum on his unit. Hopefully somebody here knows this unit.

SylvrStorm

And now it seems that SylverStorm has brought it to my attention... as to why my GPS sucks.... I feel blatently stupid because of it... But what can ya do? lol Now does anyone Know how to Change it from NAD27 to WGS84?

Not sure if Alsid Prime mentioned it here in the forums, but his GPSr is a Meridian Gold. Since my GPSr experience is limited to my Etrex, I have no idea how to change the datum on his unit. Hopefully somebody here knows this unit.

SylvrStorm

Hi AlsidPrime,

I'm sure if you ask the question on how to change your Datum in one of the more specific GPS forums someone will be able to help.

I think GPS Units and Software might be useful.

There are also a couple of cachers in Canada that use the same GPS as you. I'm however not able to help as I have 2 Garmins.

Alternatively the manual. Or the Magellan website perhaps?

Take care,

Robert

Should we start a new topic to discuss the group event to Blood Beach, Spy Glass and possibly even Admiralty Point?

What date did were you guys looking at for this? Start in the early morning at say 9am one Saturday or Sunday?

RobertM

Edited by RobertM