Get Lost Nebraska

Rudedawg

We have opened a new website for people to talk about geocaching and events in Nebraska. Right now the site is under construction This week we will be adding a forums area and will be looking for hosts to run differant forums.. also coming before the end of the month.. "Live Chat" were we can all meet and chat and plan local and state wide events.

The address for the site is: http://www.getlostne.us/

Hope to see ya all there soon..

:)

We are assembling our first review for GetLost(in)Nebraska.us

Please add any additional reviews you may have for your GPS Unit we have worked with several units although there are more out there than one can

afford / review alone.

GET LOST (in) Nebraska / getlostne.us - Reviews

Hardware :

Etrex (Yellow)

- Takes forever to find sats [ Over 10 minutes on a clear day ]

- Incapable of WAAS

- Rather inaccurate when attempting to locate cache

- only accurate to within 40 feet

[ 40 feet is all the better we could get on this unit ]

Rino 120

PROS

Everything the Rino 110 is capable of and:

+ Has full basemap, roads, etc

+ 8mb Memory

CONS

- Must have FCC Licence to operate channels 15-22 (GMRS)

- FCC Licence costs 75.00

Rino 110

PROS

+ Built like a tank with a concrete foundation!

+ 1mb memory

+ GMRS and FRS

+ FRS Works great with most any FRS Compact radio unit (Weve tested several)

+ WAAS Capable

+ Accuracy is great!

+ Full backlit screen, very easy to read in the dark

+ More options on this unit than you could shake a big stick at!

++ Ability to transmit (FRS) your current location to other Rino users in area

++ Ability to locate other rino users in area (FRS)

[ ++ The holy-grail of GPS unit functions! ]

CONS

- Must have FCC Licence to operate channels 15-22 (GMRS)

- FCC Licence costs 75.00

- No Basmap, Roads, etc

GPS72

CONS

- too big, too bulky

- buttons on top of screen not on bottom

- difficult to navigate due to location of buttons

- feels like a tv remote upside down

- a 'beep' is sounded on every button press ( gets rather annoying )

[ Im sure this probably can be turned off ]

Etrex Legend ( See thru blue plastic )

PROS

+ has basemap although for geocaching purposes really isnt necessary

+ screen display is very sharp, although fonts are hard to read

+ color screen

+ Durable

CONS

- Much more expensive than most units

Magellen SportTrak ( Yellow )

PROS

+ Large screen big fonts

+ Its an Etrex Yellow with attitude

+ Durable

Compaq Ipaq - Ambicom CF-GPS

+ VERY Accurate

+ Accurate to within 2 feet!

+ Since this is an ipaq unit, lots of available software to be used with GPS

+ External Antenna does come with this unit

- Durability : NONE

- Card extends from unit aprox 2 inches

- Battery Consumption ( Even with Ipaq sleeve with external battery )

- Forced to keep unit on charger while in car, etc when not being used remotely

- Ambicom's inability to actually ship the correct software / cdrom key with unit

[ it has taken several emails to not only Ambicom but to PocketMap.com to get

this issue resolved and has taken over a month to finally receive a pair of cdroms

that work with the correct cdrom keys supplied with the cdroms. In our opinion the card is a great peice of hardware although watch out for support and you should probably find another GPS Software solution than pocketmap.com's pocket navigator ]

Thank you

Lnk3d - GetLost(in)Nebraska - Server Admin - http://www.getlostne.us

There already is an active Nebraska group (Nebraskache).

A web site for additional communications certainly could be nice though.

Anyway, for now, here are several events in the works that have been discussed on the yahoo group. The Shorts are planning a 2004 Omaha area cache bash, and Omaha might again be the site for the Great Plains Geocaching cache bash next year (that is undecided yet). The WB's are planning an Omaha event early 2004 at one of the Omaha libraries. We also have been working out a lunch at Mahoney, which we have done on several occasions.

:D I think the site is great, and that multiple communities can get together and enjoy the hobby as a entire. It would be nice to get some events closer to lincoln though, not everyone in Nebraska lives in Omaha so having some events that are in other areas of the state is something that I would very interested.

The last event, Nebraskache Fall Picnic was in Lincoln a few months ago. Before that, we had a CITO at Schramm Park half way in between Lincoln and Omaha and some lunches at Mahoney State Park which is also halfway in between. A bunch of us kind of were aiming at splitting some events between Lincoln and Omaha, which seems fair. So, the fall picnic was in Lincoln and now the WBs are planning something in Omaha in February. The Great Plains Geocaching cache bash was in Omaha last year, but that is a regional event.

Of course anyone can always organize an event wherever they want. Post it and see who comes. For example, I think the Shorts are planning an Omaha cache bash that will be separate from the GP Geocaching cache bash.

Actually, I would love it if the people out around Grand Island/Kearney would have an event. It would be fun to drive out that way and meet some of those people.

Edited by carleenp
Bloody hell.....

There it is AGAIN!!

"There is already a Nebraska Group"

?????? :D

As Bigredmed said, Nebraskache has been fairly organized and active for over a year.

It is nice that a web site has been created and will be a nice addition to Nebraska. I hope people will be aware that both exist.

so is 'get lost' taking product reviews???

To first answer the question; "Another Nebraska Group? "

The goal of this site is the provide an open forum for all Geocachers in Nebraska and in no way is it intended to replace any existing group(s) within the Nebraska area.This site and its contents are dedicated to Geocaching and Geocachers within the state of Nebraska, cities large or small, no matter how remote, no matter what group you may or may not belong to. This site is for EVERYONE!

Second.

Would we like you to post product reviews? Just let us know and we will open you your own forum and let you moderate it.. and you may post product reviews and request product reviews to your hearts content. I'm new to this sport and I would welcome a person who knows the equipment and is willing to answer questions. So if you would like to moderate a forum.. please let u know.

Rudedawg - Admin

http://www.getlostne.com

If someone would like to type up a review on the getlostne.us website they may click on reviews and there is a link right there for users to write a review, it will get submitted for evaluation to ensure that it is family friendly, appropriate, etc.. and then posted on the site. Articles can also can be submitted by clicking the submit news link, in addition website referrals can also submitted.

so is 'get lost' taking product reviews???

To first answer the question; "Another Nebraska Group? "

Just want to point out I didn't saying anything about "another site". :D

Second. 

Would we like you to post product reviews?    Just let us know and we will open you your own forum and let you moderate it.. and you may post product reviews and request product reviews to your hearts content.    I'm new to this sport and I would welcome a person who knows the equipment and is willing to answer questions.    So if you would like to moderate a forum..  please let u know.

Rudedawg - Admin[/url]

I would like to sumbit my own personal review of the base Etrex model, it differs a bit from Ink3d's experience (the only time it ever took more than about 90secs to get a lock was when it downloaded the almanac...). what I really want to know is how.

Does your site need moderators? :D

edit: fixed quote

Edited by welch
I would like to sumbit my own personal review of the base Etrex model, it differs a bit from Ink3d's experience (the only time it ever took more than about 90secs to get a lock was when it downloaded the almanac...). what I really want to know is how.

Does your site need moderators?  :D

edit: fixed quote

First I would like to say I made a mistake about the other site comment, it was a misunderstanding on my part..

as for the reviews. if you would go to the FAQ area in the web site you will find a form that can bet submitted to post your review. All reviews are welcome. I might have to sit on Ink3d about it.. but I'm really bigger then he is.. LOL

And yes.. if you would have a forum you would like to Moderate, please let me know.. if you need to you can email me at Rudedawg@myrealbox.com or you can just leave me a post in the forums.

Rudedawg - Admain

http://www.getlostne.us

We have opened a new website for people to talk about geocaching and events in Nebraska. 

Ok Dawg, it is time for truth in advertising :)

I have perused your site and it should be "Get Lost in Eastern Nebraska". The layout of the site is slanted to Lincoln/Omaha. That is understandable since you folks are from that area.

Your "cities" listing in the Forums tends to display your mindset about caching in this state. That narrow view is unfortunate for your greater Nebraska vision. There are some serious cachers west of Grand Island. :)

You need to gaze on west and look at the outlining areas of the state. Starbrand lives in the Scottsbluff/Bridgeport area and is a prolific cache hider. If you would do some of his caches (not the I-80 drivebys) you would be surprised and educated about the Panhandle area. He has placed some really good stuff that is worth the trip.

This is not intended to criticize but enlighten you "city" folk. :) Even the 3 Amigos wandered up to this area recently, so anything is possible. :)

I suspect, like all forums, the site will adapt to fit the users. If you were to ask for a local section of your own naming, it would probably appear, but I seriously doubt it would start that way. The early discussions that I saw talked about cachers in Lincoln, Omaha, and Grand Island and as a result, the site reflects that.

I know that when I was building a disc golf site for Nebraska that I had to rely on people and organizations I didn't know about to contact me and all of them did so in a very polite and friendly manner. I planned a road trip with my friends and we played their courses and met as many of them in person as possible, but most importantly, we worked together to accomplish what neither I or them could have accomplished alone.

I could and did turn my eyes west as much as I could. But all that gave me was photos and a tourist impression. It took the people who lived there and knew the local scene to make it work for all of us. They knew what was going on to a depth I could never be expected to do.

The website right now is primarly information on Lincoln, and Omaha b/c that is all that has been provided to us. We would absolutly look west and build more forums to represent other areas if there is an interest. The more the merrier. If there is a forum that you would like to have created for an area please please go to the website forum and post the request and the forum will be created by an Administrater to represent the area. Currently there are already in place forums for GI, Hastings, Norfolk, Kearney, and Sioux City. If these are not where you are and would like to have a seperate one for a surronding community please let us know and we will try and accomidate. Remember this site is only a beginning, we have alot of room to grow, so there may be some things missing that people would like but without suggestions we may not get them. So if someone has a suggest please post it in the website forum so we can try and see what we can do.

Thanks

LRLC

If there is a forum that you would like to have created for an area please please go to the website forum and post the request and the forum will be created by an Administrater to represent the area.  Currently there are already in place forums for GI, Hastings, Norfolk, Kearney, and Sioux City.  If these are not where you are and would like to have a seperate one for a surronding community please let us know and we will try and accomidate.

First of all, our primary focus is Geocaching without the forums, cache events etc. We prefer a good rural cache with a hike of 3 miles or less one way. I do understand that our method is only one aspect of the game, it is whatever you want to make of it.

Second, I don't live in Starbrand's area but 200 plus mile away. My intent was to chide you a bit, with humor, then offer you a lead to expand your site. I am not registered in your forums and do not intend to do that, just not my thing.

Merry Christmas and I wish you well with your site.

Dick

I could and did turn my eyes west as much as I could. But all that gave me was photos and a tourist impression. It took the people who lived there and knew the local scene to make it work for all of us. They knew what was going on to a depth I could never be expected to do.

My point exactly, look to the locals for their caches and you will be rewarded. A good cache hider will take you where no Chamber of Commerce will.

Go west :)

Merry Christmas......

Ok Dawg, it is time for truth in advertising :D

I have perused your site and it should be "Get Lost in Eastern Nebraska". The layout of the site is slanted to Lincoln/Omaha. That is understandable since you folks are from that area.

Your "cities" listing in the Forums tends to display your mindset about caching in this state. That narrow view is unfortunate for your greater Nebraska vision. There are some serious cachers west of Grand Island. :D

You need to gaze on west and look at the outlining areas of the state. Starbrand lives in the Scottsbluff/Bridgeport area and is a prolific cache hider. If you would do some of his caches (not the I-80 drivebys) you would be surprised and educated about the Panhandle area. He has placed some really good stuff that is worth the trip.

This is not intended to criticize but enlighten you "city" folk. :mad: Even the 3 Amigos wandered up to this area recently, so anything is possible. :D

Welcome.. It's nice when someone new pops out of the woodwork.. Just to let ya know.. I've been out west.. I even married a a lady from Guide Rock, ( incase you don't know.. that's 45 miles south and a little east.. or you could say it's about 10 miles east of Red Cloud ) :D You are right.. there are some very good caches out west. I have family who live in GI.. and North Platte.. If you had looked at the web page, you would have seen fourms already opened for some of the towns out west.. if you feel we need to add others.. just make a request... also.. we are looking for contacts from out west.. so if you would be interested, or if you know someone who would like to be a contact to let us know of any caching events in your area... or if you would like to write a little about some of your caches out there.. we would like to hear about them..

I've been out west..  I even married a a lady from Guide Rock,

If you had looked at the web page, you would have seen fourms already opened for some of the towns out west..

if you feel we need to add others.. just make a request...  also..  we are looking for contacts from out west.. so if you would be interested, or if you know someone who would like to be a contact to let us know of any caching events in your area...  or if you would like to write a little about some of your caches out there..  we would like to hear about them..

Your humor is a hoot, Guide Rock.... really that isn't West man that is the Deep South. :D

At far as the cities on the site, they certainly west if you live in Indiana. :mad:

Anyway, as I have stated before just wanted to pick on you a bit and maybe give you a lead on someone REALLY out west. :D Just do a profile search on Starbrand and look at the caches he has done and you will be surprised at the quality.

As far as writing about caches, that is already done on the cache page. Here is an example

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...B-2342F78C1E57} This is west :D

You guys should really get out and do some serious caching. Nothing like hiking to a spot some cache hider has taken you to and it is just a WOW. Believe me, in Nebraska there are many like this, but probably not many in the city limits. :D

If your intent was to create a web site and discuss the game/sport, you have accomplished that. But, don't let the computer chair distract you from real Geocaching. :D

Merry Christmas.....

Nothing like hiking to a spot some cache hider has taken you to and it is just a WOW. Believe me, in Nebraska there are many like this, but probably not many in the city limits. 

I agree. I'm in the Lincoln area, but have placed a couple of rural caches because those are the best hikes and interesting locations around here. Platte River Run is my favorite NE cache so far. I have found some more west than that, but haven't gotten off the interstate and into the rural west yet. Hopefully I will this summer. Of course, I also have a simple urban light pole cache. Those have their place too.

Edit: I just looked at your profile and realized that you changed your name! Some of your caches have been on my "want to do" list for some time! I think I picked up a signature card or item of yours once too.

Edited by carleenp
Edit: I just looked at your profile and realized that you changed your name!

Carleen,

This goofy new forum did that name change and I haven't changed it back. :mad: Actually Judy doesn't involve herself in the forums, so I will probably leave the posting name as is.

The Platte River Run is one that we enjoyed about one year ago this month. Your rurals look very interesting to us so when we target that part of eastern nebraska we will include those.

Anyway, you and the folks have a Merry Christmas! I will be looking for the log from carleenp for my caches. :D