GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

why are you using the very unfriendly GCXXXX code to send to your GPS?

For my case, I have a Rino 130, when I select a GCXXXX, I simply look at the Notes page - 30+ characters of description that give the full name. I think the 60C and maybe CS have this too...

It also helps that we 'cache with a PPC and using GPXSonar makes it easier to sort by GCXXX and find what we're looking for.

In our area, some wiley Team named Ghost and (not named) Rosco named one or two caches nearly the same - smart names are not as specific and clear as the GCXXXX to us.

I did a filter to come up with caches I wanted to do.  I downloaded them to my Garmin II+.  I noticed that the number of waypoints in the Filter didn't match the number in my GPSr.  Went through one by one to find out what didn't make it to the unit.  It appears that none of the records that only had GCxxx as a Code made it to the GPSr.  Everything that had GCxxxx DID make it fine.  I also noticed that the GPSr had a message about "Invalid Waypoint" on the screen after the download.

Any ideas on this one?

As GSAK uses GPSBabel "Under the hood" to send waypoints to your GPS, it very much sounds like a GPSBabel/Garmin II+ issue. I will place a post on your behalf in the GPSBabel list and see what we can find out.

Off the top of my head, it would seem that waypoints for the Garmin II+ must be 6 characters at least.

In the mean time I suggest you use the smart name feature and set the length of the smart name accordingly. This also begs the question - why are you using the very unfriendly GCXXXX code to send to your GPS?

The Garmin GPS II+ will accept any length up to 6 characters. I was using another program to do my waypoint management and it would upload/download the shorter ones fine.

I didn't know that Babel was the download method within GSAK. Maybe I'll play around with that just to see if I get the same results.

Thanks for posting the info on my behalf. Is the GPSBabel list on here, or another board?

As far as why I'm using the GC code, I guess all I can say is that it takes a while to teach an old dog new tricks. Not that I can't learn, just that I have done it the old way so long, it's become 2nd nature. Easy to search for caches using the unique id code as opposed to names.

Gary

please excuse my not reading all nine pages of this thread prior to asking this question. I have found the export function that converts the gpx/loc file to various file types a la gpsbabel (which i use all the time and am fairly familiar with). however, it does not seem to do all babel file types. is this true or am i just not looking hard enough in the right place?

True. GSAK is not a complete GPSBabel GUI wrapper. It was never intended to be - it just happens to us GPSBabel to provide some of its functionality.

So far I have only added conversions that users have asked for (the squeaky wheel gets oiled first)

Not that I can't learn, just that I have done it the old way so long, it's become 2nd nature. Easy to search for caches using the unique id code as opposed to names.

I'm with you on that. I have a tough enough time remembering people's names and nics... I just simply can't keep up with names of caches - particularly when there are so many that have close to names.

The Garmin GPS II+ will accept any length up to 6 characters.  I was using another program to do my waypoint management and it would upload/download the shorter ones fine.

I didn't know that Babel was the download method within GSAK.  Maybe I'll play around with that just to see if I get the same results.

Thanks for posting the info on my behalf.  Is the GPSBabel list on here, or another board?

As far as why I'm using the GC code, I guess all I can say is that it takes a while to teach an old dog new tricks.  Not that I can't learn, just that I have done it the old way so long, it's become 2nd nature.  Easy to search for caches using the unique id code as opposed to names.

Gary

Fair enough.

From what I can make out in the GPSBabel list (not at gc.com, see here) Garmin models provide the biggest headaches for communications programming because they keep changing their standards all the time (unlike Magellan)

There was also a different issue with the III+. I put in a post about this one too. After a lot of hard work by the GPSBabel guys they came up with a fix. I now have this patched version if any of the III+ users having this problem would like to give it a try.

I'm sure they will be able to get to the bottom of the II+ problem but we may need some follow up information from you. I will keep you posted.

Edited to reduce size of quote in message

Edited by ClydeE
please excuse my not reading all nine pages of this thread prior to asking this question. I have found the export function that converts the gpx/loc file to various file types a la gpsbabel (which i use all the time and am fairly familiar with). however, it does not seem to do all babel file types. is this true or am i just not looking hard enough in the right place?

True. GSAK is not a complete GPSBabel GUI wrapper. It was never intended to be - it just happens to us GPSBabel to provide some of its functionality.

So far I have only added conversions that users have asked for (the squeaky wheel gets oiled first)

ok, i was just curious as to how much was there and if i was looking in the right place for it. thanks for answering my question. i have no complaints was just curious.

The Garmin GPS II+ will accept any length up to 6 characters.

Gary

There was also a different issue with the III+. I put in a post about this one too.

I'm sure they will be able to get to the bottom of the II+ problem but we may need some follow up information from you. I will keep you posted.

Edited to reduce size of quote in message

Thanks, and no problem on follow ups. I don't read the forums every day, but I have this one on my watch list, so I should be able to respond with any info in a timely fashion.

Gary

Clyde,

I did a search and didn't find anyone asking this of you so here goes.....

How about on the right click of an entry a sub menu like the one for "custom URL" comes out which allows to pop that location as a pushpin or location point into MapSend Topo or other map programs that users might want. When looking at caches sometimes you want to see where it is and the online maps aren't what we want. Our own (in my case MapSend) works much better for detail.....

The only problem I see in that is when you double click a wpt file it only brings up the program and doesn't show it on the map. Don't know if that would a problem also in GSAK

Now that would be handy.

Thanks

<edited because I wasn't done>

Edited by Rosco Bookbinder
How about on the right click of an entry a sub menu like the one for "custom URL" comes out which allows to pop that location as a pushpin or location point into MapSend Topo or other map programs that users might want. When looking at caches sometimes you want to see where it is and the online maps aren't what we want. Our own (in my case MapSend) works much better for detail.....

That is exactly what the OziExplorer option does.

This works because OziExplorer provide a DLL which enable programs to control it to provide these features. GSAK, can even tell you if the waypoint is on the current Ozi map and prompt you for one if not.

Ozi is the only mapping program I own, so I am not sure if the others provide this same ability. If the mapping program even just allowed passing lat and lon as parameters this would work. So in the end it is not so much a question if GSAK can do it, but if the mapping program allows this be done in some shape or form.

Clyde,

Congratulations on reaching the 10 page milestone *ahem* Anyway, just a quick question. Does GSAK use GPSBabel to generate the smart names? I really like the way GPSBabel produces the smart names with the gpx,snlen function, but GSAK wont give me those results. I even copied the newest gpsbabel beta over.

Thanks

Ooo! Ooo! I think I know the answer to this one (I was wrestling with smart name length about a page or two back). Yes, GPSBabel does the heavy lifting on that task. You should be able to set a parameter for the length of smart names in the file/export/whateverformatyoureusing dialog box that comes up.

I haven't tried all the formats, but if GPSBabel can do it and Clyde coded a format choice to pass along the parameters, I reckon it's there.

Clyde,

Congratulations on reaching the 10 page milestone *ahem* Anyway, just a quick question. Does GSAK use GPSBabel to generate the smart names? I really like the way GPSBabel produces the smart names with the gpx,snlen function, but GSAK wont give me those results. I even copied the newest gpsbabel beta over.

Thanks

In answer to your question, GSAK actually uses its own algorithm to calculate smart names. However, it also lets you set the length of the smart name.

GPSBabel does use a different algorithm. So I guess your question needs clarification. Is your issue that you prefer the GPSBabel calculated "smart name", or was the issue just that you couldn't find a way to set the length of the "smart name"

Congratulations on reaching the 10 page milestone *ahem*

Hmmm, I must confess this does have me a little concerned.

I can hardly be upset if people don't read through all the posts to find answers. I certainly wouldn't. It is starting to get a bit out of hand.

On the other side of the coin, I do like the fact there is just one place to go for all discussion GSAK related.

I could help things out by knocking up a FAQ, but I'm not sure this is a final solution.

GSAK does seem to be gaining more momentum that I initially thought. I am open to suggestions on this one.

Clyde,

Thanks

In answer to your question, GSAK actually uses its own algorithm to calculate smart names. However, it also lets you set the length of the smart name.

GPSBabel does use a different algorithm. So I guess your question needs clarification. Is your issue that you prefer the GPSBabel calculated "smart name", or was the issue just that you couldn't find a way to set the length of the "smart name"

My main issue is that if I have 30 caches in the area zzzzzzzzzz1-30, then 20 out of 30 become the same waypoint, zzzzzzzz9. I believe you may have said on page 8 of this thread that the next release would fix this, but I thought it was GPSbabels doing so I cheated and copied the latest gpsbabel into the GSAK directory with no effect. I also tried running it through GPSBabel after exporting a GPX with GSAK. It appears GPSBabel was unkind to nonGroundspeak gpx files because it used the smartname features on the notefield which I had changed in GSAK to difficulty/terrain. The effects were spectacular albeit unwanted and confusing,, ie do you want to go to waypoint (1.5_21 or )3(1.5). Little more than you asked but I hoped that clarified somewhat.

EDIT: In the above example GPSBabel's smart file name would correctly decipher each waypoint to be unique. zzzzzzzz27

Edited by Volwrath
Congratulations on reaching the 10 page milestone *ahem*

Hmmm, I must confess this does have me a little concerned.

I can hardly be upset if people don't read through all the posts to find answers. I certainly wouldn't. It is starting to get a bit out of hand.

On the other side of the coin, I do like the fact there is just one place to go for all discussion GSAK related.

I could help things out by knocking up a FAQ, but I'm not sure this is a final solution.

GSAK does seem to be gaining more momentum that I initially thought. I am open to suggestions on this one.

If one knows what he is looking for, he can go through the thread rather quickly by using ctrl-f on each page. Even then it takes a while!

My main issue is that if I have 30 caches in the area zzzzzzzzzz1-30, then 20 out of 30 become the same waypoint, zzzzzzzz9. I believe you may have said on page 8 of this thread that the next release would fix.

I was hoping this might be the case.

Yes, the next version (out soon B) ) fixes this problem.

Asking for advice/suggestions.

I tried to make GSAK start from QuakeMap's "Tools" menu, by defining it as a Tool and passing %file% (most recent .loc or .gps file opened by QuakeMap) - see picture. I can also pass %lon% and %lat% for coordinates (to provide center point), but GSAK doesn't take coordinates when started from the command line. The file thing seems to work fine technically; I would like to hear from GSAK users what else could be done.

Thanks in advance,

slg@quakemap.com

gsak.jpg

I like the program - used it to the last 2 weekends to do what I needed. A suggestion I have is when you click on a cell, instead of just highlighting the cell it would be better to highlight the entire row. Makes it easy to see all the data related to that 1 entry in the grid.

Keep the great stuff coming!

David

GSAK 3.00 Beta 1 is now ready B) .

This latest version of GSAK is a huge update (well it was for me, anyway). Please see http://gsak.geocaching.com.au/version3.htm for a complete list of changes in this release. There is also useful information for release 3.00 specific features that is not yet in the help file.

There are many features added, however some that I would have liked, just didn’t make the cut. I had to draw the line somewhere, or GSAK would never make it out the door.

Please note: This is a Beta release. The help file is NOT up to date and with all the features added there is a good chance you will have “issues” some time or another. If you are not comfortable with beta software then I suggest you give it a miss – especially beta 1.

Download here http://gsak.geocaching.com.au

Cheers

Clyde

Clyde , excellent work.

The most useful added feature for me is the ability to easily rename waypoints. On my legend, I use the following waypoint name (the legend allows 10 characters):

%drop2%con1%smart=05

I don't need the type as the map icon tells me if it's a trad, multi etc. First is the gc.com waypoint name, minus the redundant GC (drop2). This allows me to easily search by waypoint when I'm looking for a specific cache on my legend. Then the one letter container type (con), then 5 letters of the cache name (smart=5).

The most useful added feature for me is the ability to easily rename waypoints. On my legend, I use the following waypoint name (the legend allows 10 characters):

%drop2%con1%smart=05

I don't need the type as the map icon tells me if it's a trad, multi etc. First is the gc.com waypoint name, minus the redundant GC (drop2). This allows me to easily search by waypoint when I'm looking for a specific cache on my legend. Then the one letter container type (con), then 5 letters of the cache name (smart=5).

I do find it interesting to know how people use GSAK. More importantly, your post should be useful to others. Thankyou B)

Awesome feature addition! Love the Download from GPS!

I pulled all 500 waypoints from my GPSr to GSAK and then cleared the GPSr. I organized, edited and modified each of my personal (Non GC) waypoints and dropped them right back into my GPSr. It was flawless and smooth.

For my personal preference, I changed the naming from %smart to %code when sending them back to my GPSr so I could keep my waypoint names instead of having them changed to my notes.

For the final on ver.3, what say have a pulldown menu that lets you choose Cache Code, Smart Name or User Defined Variable - the variable options in the Help file?

For the "maybe consider adding to next version list", I'm going to beg for Routes being able to be uploaded and downloaded from the GPSr. Yeah, I'm a beggar. I know it may be outside the realm of Geocaching to include Routes info, and not being a programmer, I've no idea how much work this would take.

GSAK - THE Geocaching Operating System!

Clyde - this release is great. Thanks for your efforts, the CacheMate Export, Found by me date and the user data are very useful to me.

Regarding the 'User Data'. Could it be made to 'sort' numbers in numerical order? At the moment it sorts by first number, then second etc. etc. giving 1, 10, 100, 101, 102 and so on.

%drop2%con1%smart=05

This is great Akerin, thanks! I think I'll be able to figure this out since you have basically given me a 'cut and paste'. :-)

However, I'm lost on these "tags". Is there someplace that fully explains this and how, exactly, to use them? - JamesJM

Motley Crew,

If you're talking about what I think you are, can you rename the "1" to "001"? "10" would be "010", etc.

It may be an interim workaround for you. If I'm way off on this, please let me know.

T.

I'd already figured that out but ...

a: it's a pita to go through and amend all the records

b: I'll have to go through them all again when I hit the 1,000 & 10,000 & 100,000 etc, etc finds :rolleyes::blink:

Hi Clyde

I've come across the following problem with V3.00 Beta 1 (sorry :rolleyes: )

When exporting a GPX/LOC file and selecting 'Include GSAK extra fields in export' it appears as if the extra fields are not exported. When the exported file is imported into a 'new' database the extra fields are blank. (I was looking at this facility as a method of 'backing up' a database).

EDIT. Having just viewed the exported GPX/LOC file I can see that the user field IS exported - but I can't seem to get the user field to import into a new database.

Edited by Motley Crew

Cosmetic bug in the installing - "To run this program just double click the geo2ozi icon on your desktop (the yellow smiley icon)" appears on the very last screen.

Its not yellow and its not geo2ozi :-)

Thanks for adding the filter dropdown list - really cool and one of the first things I noticed :-) However it looks like selecting none doesn't do a "cancel filter" as the previous filter selection seems to stay in place. I know you can hit the cancel button on the toolbar or filter/cancel - but (to me) it would make sense to do this in the filter dropdown too.

Edited for filter posts.

Edited by DomHeknows

%drop2%con1%smart=05

Seeing as though I only have 6 characters I thought i'd put mine to be the following:-

%drop2%con1%smart=04

However it tells you that the smart setting must be at least 4 characters (which it is). Changing 4 to 5 works fine. So error dialog needs to be changed to say GREATER than 4.

OK, sorry for the late replies but since the release of version 3 I have had quite a few private e-mails. You could say I have been as busy as a one legged man in a bum kicking contest.

I tried to make GSAK start from QuakeMap's "Tools" menu, by defining it as a Tool and passing %file% (most recent .loc or .gps file opened by QuakeMap) - see picture. I can also pass %lon% and %lat% for coordinates (to provide center point), but GSAK doesn't take coordinates when started from the command line. The file thing seems to work fine technically; I would like to hear from GSAK users what else could be done.

I'm not sure I can see why users would want to start GSAK from QuakeMap passing the lat and lon (there may be a need in the other direction). Anyway I guess we will let the users speak on this one.

A suggestion I have is when you click on a cell, instead of just highlighting the cell it would be better to highlight the entire row. Makes it easy to see all the data related to that 1 entry in the grid.

This could put you at odds with people that use the "user flag" and "found" columns to update the database (and perhaps other fields I will introduce). This would make it hard to know which field in the grid you have clicked on. Again, another one for user comment.

For the "maybe consider adding to next version list", I'm going to beg for Routes being able to be uploaded and downloaded from the GPSr. Yeah, I'm a beggar. I know it may be outside the realm of Geocaching to include Routes info, and not being a programmer, I've no idea how much work this would take.

I must confess, routes are outside the radar of GSAK at the moment. I'm not saying it won't happen, but there are still many features to add that are not as esoteric.

Regarding the 'User Data'. Could it be made to 'sort' numbers in numerical order? At the moment it sorts by first number, then second etc. etc. giving 1, 10, 100, 101, 102 and so on.

I made the "user data" field alpha so it would accept any kind of data. Unfortunately that’s how alpha data sorts. The suggestion by "cadence" would be my work around for the time being - just needs a little planning before you start using this field. Of course the other solution is to provide 2 user data fields, one alpha and one numeric. Again, I will see how things pan out before rushing into anything here.

When exporting a GPX/LOC file and selecting 'Include GSAK extra fields in export' it appears as if the extra fields are not exported. When the exported file is imported into a 'new' database the extra fields are blank. (I was looking at this facility as a method of 'backing up' a database).

EDIT. Having just viewed the exported GPX/LOC file I can see that the user field IS exported - but I can't seem to get the user field to import into a new database.

Sounds like a definite bug. Hopefully I can reproduce and it shouldn't hard to fix.

Cosmetic bug in the installing - "To run this program just double click the geo2ozi icon on your desktop (the yellow smiley icon)" appears on the very last screen.

Its not yellow and its not geo2ozi :-)

Naughty boy I am. I ran into this problem before and fixed, obviously I did not sync this change with my laptop. Easy to fix though.

Thanks for adding the filter dropdown list - really cool and one of the first things I noticed :-) However it looks like selecting none doesn't do a "cancel filter" as the previous filter selection seems to stay in place. I know you can hit the cancel button on the toolbar or filter/cancel - but (to me) it would make sense to do this in the filter dropdown too.

Good point - will fix.

However it tells you that the smart setting must be at least 4 characters (which it is). Changing 4 to 5 works fine. So error dialog needs to be changed to say GREATER than 4.

Good pick up. Thanks.

Phew. Next? :rolleyes:

Clyde I cannot find words to tell you how fantastic GSAK is. All I can say is Thank You just about every time I use it.

One small problem I ran into this morning with the latest beta is in the smart name feature. I took a 7 cache series all having the same name with a number at the end and manually edited the names so that each would end up with a unique "smart name". It appears that the program is not picking up the new manually edited name and still sees it as the original as downloaded from PQ. Let me know if you need the actual cache names to see whats happening.

Thanks again, Olar

One small problem I ran into this morning with the latest beta is in the smart name feature.  I took a 7 cache series all having the same name with a number at the end and manually edited the names so that each would end up with a unique "smart name".  It appears that the program is not picking up the new manually edited name and still sees it as the original as downloaded from PQ.  Let me know if you need the actual cache names to see whats happening.

Hmmm. GSAK should always calculate a unique smart name for each waypoint (even if the description is exactly the same).

However, the smart name defaults to 8 characters. So if your GPS only accepts 6 characters you may think it is not generating unique waypoint names. This being the case, you should use the tag %smart=6

Just to summarise:

%smart - calculates unique smart name and defaults to 8 characters.

%smart=nn - calculates unique smart name nn characters long.

If after reading this post you believe you still have a problem with smart names, then please send me your GPX file (and let me know the problem caches) and I will try to get to the bottom of it

Edited by ClydeE
However, I'm lost on these "tags".  Is there someplace that fully explains this and how, exactly, to use them?  - JamesJM

Tags in GSAK are used to generate the waypoint code, and the waypoint description that will be sent to your GPS or other Export format (eg MapSource)

Available tags are:

%name = Cache name

%by = Placed by

%dif = Difficulty

%ter = Terrain

%con = Full container description

%con1= First character of container description only

%typ = Cache type description

%typ1 = First character of cache description only

%smart = GSAK "Smart Name"

%code = waypoint code (eg the www.geocaching.com GCXXXX code)

%drop2 = same as %code but drops off the first 2 characters

This allows you to generate waypoints similar to the GCXXXX ones but without the needless GC at the front. For example the cache GCAF12 which is a large multi cache could be generated with the tags of %con1%typ1%drop2 to yield MLAF12. All the other tags used in the description format are available (and vice versa), but whatever tags you use, the total length of the resulting waypoint will be chopped off at the “Maximum characters”

When you use the %smart tag it defaults to calculating a smart name that is 8 characters long. You may want more or less characters for the smart name, so it also supports the form %smart=nn where nn=the number of characters for the smart name. For example if you only wanted a 6 characters in you smart name your tag should be %smart=6 (%smart=06 will also work)

Edited by ClydeE
One small problem I ran into this morning with the latest beta is in the smart name feature.  I took a 7 cache series all having the same name with a number at the end and manually edited the names so that each would end up with a unique "smart name".  It appears that the program is not picking up the new manually edited name and still sees it as the original as downloaded from PQ.  Let me know if you need the actual cache names to see whats happening.

Hmmm. GSAK should always calculate a unique smart name for each waypoint (even if the description is exactly the same).

However, the smart name defaults to 8 characters. So if your GPS only accepts 6 characters you may think it is not generating unique waypoint names. This being the case, you should use the tag %smart=6

Just to summarise:

%smart - calculates unique smart name and defaults to 8 characters.

%smart=nn - calculates unique smart name nn characters long.

If after reading this post you believe you still have a problem with smart names, then please send me your GPX file (and let me know the problem caches) and I will try to get to the bottom of it

OK Clyde I found out what is happening. GSAK was creating unique smart names to the 16 characters that I specified like it is designed to do. The only problem is my GPS V takes a max. of 15 and when I tried to download the 7 caches the V rejected 6 of them because the first 15 letters were identical in each. Upon correcting to 15 all is well.

Problem solved. User error - go straight to dog-house.

Cheers, Olar

However, I'm lost on these "tags".  Is there someplace that fully explains this and how, exactly, to use them?  - JamesJM

Tags in GSAK are used to generate the waypoint code, and the waypoint description that will be sent to your GPS or other Export format (eg MapSource)

Clyde, thanks a million. Great info I can immediately put to use. - JamesJM

Hi -

The new version is fantastic! Of course the old version was also fantastic, but I've run out of my adjective scale. I haven't been able to get the automatic fill-in of "date found by me" field to work. The summary notes on your webpage included 36. Added “Date found by Me” field (this will automatically be updated when you load a gc.com PQ). I generated a new pq for my finds and dropped it on GSAK. The records updated, but the "date found" field remained blank. Am I missing a magic step/setting?

I haven't been able to get the automatic fill-in of "date found by me" field to work.  The summary notes on your webpage included 36.  Added “Date found by Me” field (this will automatically be updated when you load a gc.com PQ).  I generated a new pq for my finds and dropped it on GSAK.  The records updated, but the  "date found" field remained blank.  Am I missing a magic step/setting?

The new "Found by me" date is updated by searching all the logs in the database looking for a "found" log by you. The logic it uses to match you to the found log is the same as used for your "placed by" caches. There are three settings to help you make this match (see Tools=>Options "method for matching placed (hidden) caches"). I suspect you are using the "exact" method but your user name does not match what you have keyed exactly (try the wild card option)

Edited by ClydeE

Downloaded 3.0 beta, it seems that the edit option needs more tuning: If I make any changes the result is:

Either: Exception Log saying that <the value in difficulty box> "is not a valid floating point value"

Or: Error - You cannot change the waypoint code to one that already exists ( I have not touched the waypoint code).

Also the Decimal minutes box is missing a decimal point -> following message appears:Latitude minutes must be <60. If I add the decimal point manually the program gives "invalid Latitude minutes" -message.

P.S. if I choose Restart in error situation the database repair still resets all coordinates to 0,00000 0,00000

Hmm... could the reason be because my Windows 2000 Regional Options are using "," as the Decimal symbol and not a "." (The European way)

Otherwise the improvements are great :rolleyes:

Downloaded 3.0 beta, it seems that the edit option needs more tuning: If I make any changes the result is:

Either: Exception Log saying that <the value in difficulty box> "is not a valid floating point value"

Or: Error - You cannot change the waypoint code to one that already exists ( I have not touched the waypoint code).

Also the Decimal minutes box is missing a decimal point -> following message appears:Latitude minutes must be <60. If I add the decimal point manually the program gives "invalid Latitude minutes" -message.

P.S. if I choose Restart in error situation the database repair still resets all coordinates to 0,00000 0,00000

Hmm... could the reason be because my Windows 2000 Regional Options are using "," as the Decimal symbol and not a "." (The European way)

Otherwise the improvements are great :rolleyes:

Yes, I would say having the , as your decimal symbol would be the root of all these problems (I clean forgot about this "gotcha"). Just for feedback, try changing it to . (while GSAK is running) and see if you still get the same errors.

I will fix this in the next beta.

... try changing it to . (while GSAK is running) and see if you still get the same errors.

Yess :rolleyes:

Changing comma to dot in the regional settings seems to have solved my problems!

Thanks Clyde

BTW "Found by me" -option works fine, even if I reload an old gpx file.

A big thankyou to all who have given me positive feedback on the new release. Some of the e-mails I have been getting are very uplifting.

I just hope I haven’t raised everyone’s expectations too high. Let me temper some of the enthusiasm by trying to explain.

I consider myself to be a programmer - nothing more, nothing less. It would be a statement of fact rather than being humble to say I’m not among the smartest programmers around (showing my age too, shouldn't that now be "software engineer"?). I don’t do “flash” and the word panache is not in my vocabulary (spot the paradox there?). I’m more of a plodder, but I do like to think my work is functional. GSAK won’t set the world on fire, nor will it cure world hunger, but if it makes you happy then it makes me happy.

The sheer volume of e-mails tells me GSAK is gaining momentum. I just hope I haven’t created a monster I can’t control. I’ll try to live up to expectations but it is becoming a tall order.

“He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!” - Life of Brian

Cheers

Clyde

Clyde,

Thanks for a fantistic product. The new version is very rich with new features. When editing a waypoint I am unable to change the cache type to "? Mystery". When I select "? Mystery" I get Multi.

In fact, if you edit a waypoint that is type Mystery and you do not even touch this field, but edit another field, the GSAK changes the type to Multi.

Thanks Again for a great product!

COCyclist

Edited by COCyclist
I haven't been able to get the automatic fill-in of "date found by me" field to work. 

The new "Found by me" date is updated by searching all the logs in the database looking for a "found" log by you... <snip> your user name does not match what you have keyed exactly... <snip>

That was it. Actually, I had the login ID option selected, but my username entered. Wonder how long I've had it that way without noticing? Thanks a bunch. Now I can dump that clunky spreadsheet I kept around only to hold my found dates. Getting to be a fair size pile of SW I don't use anymore.... Keep it up! You may get me down to a single app on my pc by the time you're done! :D

When editing a waypoint I am unable to change the cache type to "? Mystery". When I select "? Mystery" I get Multi.

In fact, if you edit a waypoint that is type Mystery and you do not even touch this field, but edit another field, the GSAK changes the type to Multi.

Of course, what did you expect, that is why it is called a mystery cache. It is a mystery as to what the hell is going on :D

Good pickup, and I get the same behaviour here. Another one for the exterminator in the next Beta :P

Thanks Clyde for all the cool additions.

I turned on the lat/long columns. Anyway to change thme fo the DegMM.MMM format used by GC.com. I've looked but probably missed it. This feature already helped me - thanks for adding it.

Also, are the arc/line/polygon filters working. I've hung GSAK a few times now trying to experiment with them. Once again, probably just me.

Going on a 5 or six state road trip next week and I have all the caches for several states I'll be travelling thru. I hope to test the new filters to try to pare down the 4000 + caches I now have in GSAK.

Looking forward to using the CacheMate export also. Really set for my trip now.

Thanks for the great program.

maleki

Also, are the arc/line/polygon filters working. I've hung GSAK a few times now trying to experiment with them. Once again, probably just me.

With my limited testing, yes they are working. If you can reproduce this problem describing the steps I would certainly like to know about it.

Any one else using these filters? Working? Having problems?