GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Hmmm, I would consider the "independent database feature" one of the strongest points of GSAK but I respect your opinion.

However, what you are asking is basically already there. There is no need to delete the database all the time - there is an option when you load a gpx file that says "clear database before loading"

As for always having GSAK ask for a file to load. Don't start GSAK first, just open the file from explorer (assuming you have gpx files associated with GSAK) or drag the file on to the GSAK desktop icon.

As far as the "IDF" I knew you and ~99% of the others would love this the best. Just me being anal. After I checked the box, GSAK works great. Thanks!

EDIT:I thought I would attempt to explain the rationale of not wanting a database. The reason is that in my PQ for my area I ask for all unfound caches. If I dump this into GSAK, the caches I have found since the last update are naturally not updated. hence I need a seperate PQ for found caches to update GSAK correctly. I basically just download GPX on demand, so its easiest just to download 1 rather than 2. Basically I am lazy :)

Edited by Volwrath

EDIT:I thought I would attempt to explain the rationale of not wanting a database. The reason is that in my PQ for my area I ask for all unfound caches. If I dump this into GSAK, the caches I have found since the last update are naturally not updated. hence I need a seperate PQ for found caches to update GSAK correctly. I basically just download GPX on demand, so its easiest just to download 1 rather than 2. Basically I am lazy :)

Volwrath I think I understand what you are getting at. I believe the solution would be to get your PQ's with the selection that "I don't own" rather than the "I haven't found". That way you would get a file of all caches (except your own) and GSAK will update all as well as code them found, not found, placed, or archived. Then you can play with the filters to your heart's content.

I get my PQ's with nothing checked in the "THAT" section. That way I get all caches including my own and all are updated at each new gpx download. If I want a seperate database for my own as an example then I filter, export a .gpx file and then import that file back to a new database.

Cheers, Olar

Anyone tried this export with Streets and trips 2004?

I can also confirm that it works fine with S&T 2004 <_<

I use S&T to review and select caches that I want to hunt along a route or on a vacation. Once I have my list I manually filter out the unwanted caches in GSAK then generate cache pages for export to my Palm.

Clyde I'm wondering if this process can be automated? I have been experimenting with a second utility from GPSBabel called st2gpx which can export the pushpins from S&T to a GPX file. Unfortunately the GPX file created has most of the cache data missing as it was stripped during the S&T import/export process. I believe all that's left is the cache number, coordinates and URL.

Could the limited GPX file created by st2gpx somehow be used to set the User Flags in GSAK for a filter to keep the caches?

Yes, this is possible. However, I have closed the feature set for the next release but I can throw it on the "to do list".

Before I do though, the next version of GSAK does have arc, line, and polygon filters. The arc filter for instance would let you enter a route then select a filter of caches that are x miles from this route. Would the introduction of this new feature negate this requirement or do you still feel you need this ability?

EDIT:I thought I would attempt to explain the rationale of not wanting a database. The reason is that in my PQ for my area I ask for all unfound caches. If I dump this into GSAK, the caches I have found since the last update are naturally not updated. hence I need a seperate PQ for found caches to update GSAK correctly. I basically just download GPX on demand, so its easiest just to download 1 rather than 2. Basically I am lazy <_<

Basically that is what the filters are for. I suggest you just get a PQ of all the caches you want then let GSAK create your required subsets via filters. If you find this a problem becuase you have to set up different filters all the time, don't forget you can save your filters. That way you only have to create the filter once, then select it on demand without any re typing.

Before I do though, the next version of GSAK does have arc, line, and polygon filters. The arc filter for instance would let you enter a route then select a filter of caches that are x miles from this route. Would the introduction of this new feature negate this requirement or do you still feel you need this ability?

Not really. I select the caches I want based on other criteria (for example views, access, interesting locations) after reviewing the cache pages from the pocket query.

Not really. I select the caches I want based on other criteria (for example views, access, interesting locations) after reviewing the cache pages from the pocket query.

Fair enough.

However until I add this feature, there may be a work around for this, but it does hinge on if st2gpx does generate a GPX file that GSAK can load.

As per some of my other suggested work arounds, a bit cumbersome but I would think easier than having to update each user flag manually.

1. Create a new database (eg “My trip”)

2. Load the st2gpx file into this database

3. Set on all user flags (Menu, User Flags => Set all user flags)

4. Load a current geocaching.com GPX file that contains the full information into this database.

5. Now set a filter on “User Flag”

6. Export this filter to palm

Let me know how you get on <_<

Basically that is what the filters are for. I suggest you just get a PQ of all the caches you want then let GSAK create your required subsets via filters. If you find this a problem becuase you have to set up different filters all the time, don't forget you can save your filters. That way you only have to create the filter once, then select it on demand without any re typing.

Clyde & Olar,

I understand your rationale. But right now I've got 150+ caches and since you are relegated to 500, that only leaves 350 caches. Normally that would be great, but I commute 30 miles to work and I don't want to start missing caches due to caches I've found. Everytime I download my latest PQ, I ALWAYS have 500 caches (and thats throwing out virtuals).

I am going to try just creating one query for Not Found and Another for Found, and do it that way for a while. Notheless thanks for a great program!

Edited by Volwrath
However until I add this feature, there may be a work around for this, but it does hinge on if st2gpx does generate a GPX file that GSAK can load.

Unfortunately it doesn't or least I haven't been able to make it do so :mad: I'm not the best at command lines so the fault may be mine <_<

I've made a similar request to the Babel mailing list so maybe someone there can point out my error. or a solution.

Clyde & Olar,

I understand your rationale. But right now I've got 150+ caches and since you are relegated to 500, that only leaves 350 caches. Normally that would be great, but I commute 30 miles to work and I don't want to start missing caches due to caches I've found. Everytime I download my latest PQ, I ALWAYS have 500 caches (and thats throwing out virtuals).

I am going to try just creating one query for Not Found and Another for Found, and do it that way for a while. Notheless thanks for a great program!

Volwrath,

I pull a query every day of EVEYTHING GC HAS TO OFFER out to 50 miles which is 402 caches (as of today). I have four filters I run with three of them most always. They are "Everything excluding archived", "My Own", "My Finds" and "Not Found". The default "None" would be the fifth filter.

If I know I'm going out on a short afternoon trip I will run the "not found" filter out to the mileage I will be going (usually about 20 miles or less). That one is for my GPS. I will run another for "everything excluding archived" and "everything including archived" with those going to my PDA for GPXSonar. I like to keep an "everything" in my PDA also for looking at the map using Mapopolis just in case I want to place a cache while out. I can see what is close or not to my location.

I can open my e-mail, drag the zip to GSAK, filter out what I want and convert using the maplet application for Mapopolis, load into my GPS and send via sync to my PDA in about five minutes.

I may be going over kill but it's a snap once you have the filters, you have done it a few times and you have everything in front of you you need. For others a different way might be better and I wouldn't mind know what they do too....

Volwrath,

I pull a query every day of EVEYTHING GC HAS TO OFFER out to 50 miles which is 402 caches (as of today). I have four filters I run with three of them most always. They are "Everything excluding archived", "My Own", "My Finds" and "Not Found". The default "None" would be the fifth filter.

If I know I'm going out on a short afternoon trip I will run the "not found" filter out to the mileage I will be going (usually about 20 miles or less). That one is for my GPS. I will run another for "everything excluding archived" and "everything including archived" with those going to my PDA for GPXSonar. I like to keep an "everything" in my PDA also for looking at the map using Mapopolis just in case I want to place a cache while out. I can see what is close or not to my location.

I can open my e-mail, drag the zip to GSAK, filter out what I want and convert using the maplet application for Mapopolis, load into my GPS and send via sync to my PDA in about five minutes.

I may be going over kill but it's a snap once you have the filters, you have done it a few times and you have everything in front of you you need. For others a different way might be better and I wouldn't mind know what they do too....

Rosco,

I think you are missing the point somewhat. There are 6 zillion caches in the Nashville area. I have 150 finds. If I only run 1 PQ, the maximum number of not found caches is now 350 when 500+ are out there. Hence I may miss a cache I would have wanted to hit.

I think you are missing the point somewhat. There are 6 zillion caches in the Nashville area. I have 150 finds. If I only run 1 PQ, the maximum number of not found caches is now 350 when 500+ are out there. Hence I may miss a cache I would have wanted to hit.

My exact problem as well living here in the Toronto, Ontario area. My work-around was to take my cache map and draw a number of circles at various points each spotted so that they each encircle less than 500 caches and overlap each other so all caches are covered. I created a PQ for each of these circles using the centre point coords and radius of each as the search criteria. When I get my weekly PQ's it's a matter of a few minutes to drag and drop to GSAK, re-load my GPSR, and my PDA.

The resulting number of caches is probably over-kill but like you I don't want to miss any due to the max. number per PQ.

Cheers, Olar

I know that the max number of caches you can get in one query is 500 but where did you come up with the 350 max not found? I'd like to understand this more since there are many in this area also...

Thanks

Clyde & Olar,

I have a similar problem. Because I do service work, I am constantly driving all over a wide area of southern California (100 to 150 miles a day), where there is also a zillion caches. 500 caches will only get me a small area, so I created multiple queries to cover a wide area. 5 queries each with 500 caches gives plenty of room for overlapping queries. That way I am sure I have them all, even the few I have found so far. Just open them all in the same database, and GSAK will merge them, and you will get all you need. GSAK is truly an amazing program.

Edited by Blind Avocado

I know that the max number of caches you can get in one query is 500 but where did you come up with the 350 max not found? I'd like to understand this more since there are many in this area also...

Thanks

Following up on my own post here..

I just ran a query for everything out to 100 miles from my house. I also set it for taking out my finds (119). The query hit the max 500 at 78.4 miles and ALL OF THEM are not found by me. I believe the limit you can have for not found caches is the same as the max. 500..........

500 max caches - 150 found caches = 350 NF caches (if I include found). If I don't include found caches, I get all 500 not found, but GSAK won't update my found caches, because it receives no new one. Therefore I can do one of two things: 1 Use multiple PQ or Use 1 PQ and delete the database on each load. I havent decided which I am going to do as of yet.

500 max caches - 150 found caches = 350 NF caches (if I include found). If I don't include found caches, I get all 500 not found, but GSAK won't update my found caches, because it receives no new one. Therefore I can do one of two things: 1 Use multiple PQ or Use 1 PQ and delete the database on each load. I havent decided which I am going to do as of yet.

Why don't you just manualy set your found caches in GSAK from not found to found? that way you cand just PQ your not found caches.

ClydeE, any plans in future releases on adding a back-up feature? It would be nice to click on a backup button and have the program back up necessary files to a destination of choice.

Thanks for a great program.

NJLOAD

ClydeE, any plans in future releases on adding a back-up feature? It would be nice to click on a backup button and have the program back up necessary files to a destination of choice.

Yes, but it won't make it for the next release.

The next release does go part the way by having a "Save Database As..." option.

I suspect though, that you are referring to a one step option to back up ALL GSAK settings and ALL databases for disaster recovery?

If you currently want to do this manually for backup purposes, or you want to migrate EVERYTHING to another computer, what you need to back up is:

1. "GSAK.ini" and "*.cds" from the Install folder of GSAK

2. The folder "data" and ALL its subfolders and files. This folder also resides in the install folder of GSAK

Of course you could just use Winzip (or some other utility) to zip up the install folder of GSAK and all sub folders. This would also do the trick, but would be much larger because it would contain the help file and everything that comes with GSAK.

Clyde: When I try to transfer National Geographic Topo waypoints created by GSAK, Topo refuses to accept them without changing them. The setting are set for 10 letters for my Vista, but Topo will reject it and try to apply its own.

If I just hit Enter, it will accept that entry. But I have to do that once for each cache, hundreds of times.

This might be a defect in Topo, but I'm not sure.

Tks

Alan

Clyde: When I try to transfer National Geographic Topo waypoints created by GSAK, Topo refuses to accept them without changing them. The setting are set for 10 letters for my Vista, but Topo will reject it and try to apply its own.

If I just hit Enter, it will accept that entry. But I have to do that once for each cache, hundreds of times.

This might be a defect in Topo, but I'm not sure.

Tks

Alan

Haven't run accross this problem before, but I don't know how many people are using this software. The output file is via GPSBabel so I would have thought there would have been others that have raised this issue by now.

I don't have National Geographic Topo software so we will need others in the forum to help you out here.

Anyone else run into this problem?

Solutions, work arounds?

Well, I tried running waypoints into Topo! and got the same results. On the face of it, this looks like something flaky with Topo!, as it claims the name is invalid...either too long or invalid characters. Yet, as Alan reported, clicking on OK will accept them one by one. My smartnames are 8 characters long, but no matter what I set the Topo! limits to, it still wants to change the names to numbers to accept them en masse.

The only workaround I see at the moment is to use cache codes instead of smart names...they seem to slide in fine. It's way past my bedtime so I'm not too creative at the moment.

Of course there is no problem when you enter 10 letter (in my case) if it's set for 10 and you are creating a new waypoint on the map. SO it only seems to happen when the count is over 6 which is their nominal setting.

It's as if when importing, Topo assumes you're set at 6 characters instead of 8 or 10 or whatever you set it at.

Clyde, what is the process that you use to create the mass waypoints? Maybe there's something in there that can be changed.

I'm sending you a file created by NG Topo on exporting - Comma delimited text. I'm also sending you the .tpg file created by Topo so you can compare to the ones you're creating. An option might be for GSAK to create the text file. Then NG Topo users could use the Import function rather than just opening a .tpg file.

The files have two 10-character waypoints. 1234567890 and 0987654321.

See if that helps.

Alan

Of course there is no problem when you enter 10 letter (in my case) if it's set for 10 and you are creating a new waypoint on the map.  SO it only seems to happen when the count is over 6 which is their  nominal setting.

Sorry, I really don't understand what you saying here.

I think what we need to do is figure out if the problem is GSAK related or GPSBabel related.

To remove GSAK out of the equation, could you try converting a GPX file to NG TOPO! using GPSBabel by itself (but also use Babels smart name and not gc.com code) If you still get the same problem, then the issue lies with GPSBabel and we can then chase it up in the GPSBabel forum.

I posted this in one of the other GSAK threads, but this appears to be the correct place, so please pardon the partial double post.

I've been using Watcher for some time, and just decided to Re-Try GSAK. I tried one of the early beta's, but at that time it wasn't what I was looking for, Nowever I decided to give it a second look and I am impressed.

There is one thing I would like to see. I have one of those GPS's that allows a longer waypoint ID than most (Garmin V), and I would love be to able to combine the Smart Waypoints with the GC ID (Stripping off the GC because they all start with that).

IE:

HXXXX JoesCache

I can still use the GPS to search by GC number but can also see the name when scrolling thru the list.

Is this possible with GSAK?

I posted this in one of the other GSAK threads, but this appears to be the correct place, so please pardon the partial double post.

I've been using Watcher for some time, and just decided to Re-Try GSAK. I tried one of the early beta's, but at that time it wasn't what I was looking for, Nowever I decided to give it a second look and I am impressed.

There is one thing I would like to see. I have one of those GPS's that allows a longer waypoint ID than most (Garmin V), and I would love be to able to combine the Smart Waypoints with the GC ID (Stripping off the GC because they all start with that).

IE:

HXXXX JoesCache

I can still use the GPS to search by GC number but can also see the name when scrolling thru the list.

Is this possible with GSAK?

Currently no, but the next version of GSAK (first Beta due out in about a week) will support this. See my post here for more information.

Of course there is no problem when you enter 10 letter (in my case) if it's set for 10 and you are creating a new waypoint on the map.  SO it only seems to happen when the count is over 6 which is their  nominal setting.

I think what we need to do is figure out if the problem is GSAK related or GPSBabel related.

To remove GSAK out of the equation, could you try converting a GPX file to NG TOPO! using GPSBabel by itself (but also use Babels smart name and not gc.com code) If you still get the same problem, then the issue lies with GPSBabel and we can then chase it up in the GPSBabel forum.

Alan is describing the "Invalid waypoint name" dialog box that NG Topo pops up when we are trying to merge the tpg files into the open map file. There is a parameter we can set for an upper limit to the number of characters. I think what is supposed to happen is that NG Topo should flag any waypoint with excessive character count so we can decide what to name it.

I believe he is right, though, that unless there are 6 or less characters in the waypoint NG Topo is flagging valid names. 6 or less, they all slide in slicker than snail snot. More than that, and NG Topo wants us to hit OK for each one before it will accept them, even though no editing of the name is necessary. It shouldn't do this; I think it's a problem to take up with the NG people.

I did use GPSBabel to generate a tpg file using smart names, and I got the same results as the GSAK output. If there is a way for Babel to limit smartnames to 6 characters, NG Topo would be satisfied and Alan can save his finger from repetitive stress injury risk.

I'll just stick to the cache codes if I want to see these in NG Topo.

Alan is describing the "Invalid waypoint name" dialog box that NG Topo pops up when we are trying to merge the tpg files into the open map file. There is a parameter we can set for an upper limit to the number of characters. I think what is supposed to happen is that NG Topo should flag any waypoint with excessive character count so we can decide what to name it.

I believe he is right, though, that unless there are 6 or less characters in the waypoint NG Topo is flagging valid names. 6 or less, they all slide in slicker than snail snot. More than that, and NG Topo wants us to hit OK for each one before it will accept them, even though no editing of the name is necessary. It shouldn't do this; I think it's a problem to take up with the NG people.

I did use GPSBabel to generate a tpg file using smart names, and I got the same results as the GSAK output. If there is a way for Babel to limit smartnames to 6 characters, NG Topo would be satisfied and Alan can save his finger from repetitive stress injury risk.

I'll just stick to the cache codes if I want to see these in NG Topo.

OK, thanks for that Embra.

You can therefore still use smart names with GSAK, but from your comments above you must set the length to 6 otherwise you will run into the problems as above.

If we really want to get this sorted out 100% then someone will need to take this up in the GPSBabel formum or ask NG Topo! directly. As both are bound to ask question about NG Topo! that I don't have and know very little about, I would rather it is not me.

Edited by ClydeE

Well, I may have to retract my speculation...

NG Topo will accept the cache code for waypoint names, but even if the smart name is limited to 6 characters it stops for verification.

Perhaps Babel is sticking in a character that NG Topo doesn't like, but strips out before it displays. I'll take this up in the Babel group to see if anyone has insight on what's going on, and then check with the NG people.

I can't help being curious about this even though I have never wanted to import these waypoints into Topo. <sigh>

Clyde: While I'm resting my fingers from repetitive stress syndrome, I emailed you a text delimited export from Topo with a couple of sample points to show what Topo creates. I also sent Topo created .tpg file so someone can compare to what GPSBabel is creating.

If GSAK (orGPSBabel) can create the points in this text format, then we could Import into Topo.

I could send the same thing to Babel. WHo would that be?

Alan

edit: clarity, I hope.

Edited by Alan2
Clyde: While I'm resting my fingers from repetitive stress syndrome, I emailed you a text delimited export from Topo with a couple of sample points to show what Topo creates. I also sent Topo created .tpg file so someone can compare to what GPSBabel is creating.

If GSAK (orGPSBabel) can create the points in this text format, then we could Import into Topo.

I could send the same thing to Babel. WHo would that be?

Alan

Embra has kindly taken this up in the GPSBabel forum. If possible I would like to get the TPG file fixed before programming in a work around.

If you can't wait for this, then you can mimic the creation of just about any CSV text file by using GPSBabel styles to generate your required file.

I just started using GSAK last week, so please be gentle on me.

Here is a possible bug, or feature I haven't figured out yet.

I do an export of Street Atlas text file. I configure the screen so that Found=Star, Not Found=Cross, Placed=Circle, and Archived=Power. The export works fine.

Now, when I go back to do a second Street Atlas export the Power symbol is in the Found section and Archived Image is blank.

Feature, bug, or just something I should learn to live with?

Side note here is that I'm having fun using this program. It is starting to save me time. Course, the saved time is spent reading the help file. ha ha

Gary

Clyde:  While I'm resting my fingers from repetitive stress syndrome, I emailed you a text delimited export from Topo with a couple of sample points to show what Topo creates.  I also sent Topo created .tpg file so someone can compare to what GPSBabel is creating.

I could send the same thing to Babel.  WHo would that be?

Alan

Embra has kindly taken this up in the GPSBabel forum. If possible I would like to get the TPG file fixed before programming in a work around.

If you can't wait for this, then you can mimic the creation of just about any CSV text file by using GPSBabel styles to generate your required file.

Following the GPSBabel list, this issue has now been resolved. Not sure if the GPSBabel.exe fix is publicly available yet but if you contact Embra I'm sure he wouldn't mind pointing you in the right direction.

When you do get a copy of the fixed GPSBabel.exe, just copy it to the install folder of GSAK and this will fix the problem. I will also include this version in the next release of GSAK.

I do an export of Street Atlas text file. I configure the screen so that Found=Star, Not Found=Cross, Placed=Circle, and Archived=Power. The export works fine.

Now, when I go back to do a second Street Atlas export the Power symbol is in the Found section and Archived Image is blank.

Feature, bug, or just something I should learn to live with?

Side note here is that I'm having fun using this program. It is starting to save me time. Course, the saved time is spent reading the help file. ha ha

Gary

Be gentle with you? How dare you find a bug in GSAK, I will now have to break every bone in your body. :rolleyes:

Seriously, thanks for picking this up. It is a definite bug and will be fixed in the next release. :bad:

I just started using GSAK a few days ago, and it is a great program! I would like to be able to print the GSAK screen, but have been unable to figure out a way to do it. A paper copy would be a handy reference and check list for those long caching days. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I posted this question on it's own topic, but it was suggested that I post here. Sorry for the duplication! I admit to not reading all 437 replies in this topic, so maybe it has been covered, although a search didn't give me anything.

Thanks!

I think it would be nice if you could print out a summary sheet that had the cache names, waypoint name, coords, placer, difficulty, and short description. And maybe a little last logs summary box like the program displays.

If it was printed in a nice table format with a little space for notes you could keep track of your finds and swaps.

Paperless would be easier but it would be a nice feature for those that are PDA-less.

Clyde,

You may have heard this before, but you are an awesome individual! I needed to make sure you knew that. Now that you're buttered up...

I've converted a few people over to GSAK, those that haven't ever gone into the Forums here before - but they have a question, and I have read MOST of the entries here, but not every one I'll admit.

I have about 50 or so favorite waypoints and I don't see a way of backing them up to GSAK like I have in the past with EZ. I would love to get rid of EZ.

Is it on your extensive "To Do" list to Download waypoints from a GPS? Apologies if this was requested already.

Todd - K7PKT

I have about 50 or so favorite waypoints and I don't see a way of backing them up to GSAK like I have in the past with EZ. I would love to get rid of EZ.

Is it on your extensive "To Do" list to Download waypoints from a GPS? Apologies if this was requested already.

Certainly - in fact it is in the current development version of GSAK. I am nearly ready go Beta, just a bit more testing and tweaking. If all goes well the Beta should be available in a few days - stay tuned....

I just started using GSAK a few days ago, and it is a great program! I would like to be able to print the GSAK screen, but have been unable to figure out a way to do it. A paper copy would be a handy reference and check list for those long caching days. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Unfortunately the only option available at the moment is the print screen, or export to a CSV format that can be loaded into Excel (or other program) and printed.

I must admit, having a PDA myself I have resisted adding printing to GSAK. Selfish bastard I know :unsure:

As there now seems to be enough "noise" on this one I will add it to the "to do list" but I am sad to say it will not be in the upcoming release.

Certainly - in fact it is in the current development version of GSAK. I am nearly ready go Beta, just a bit more testing and tweaking. If all goes well the Beta should be available in a few days - stay tuned....

Following on....

I originally planned to just add a few features to GSAK and release it as version 2.1

However, my inability to say “no” (I am rapidly leaning to fix this) and some new features triggering yet more new features has lead to a more substantial update. Accordingly the next version will be 3.00 and I hope will add a lot of features that users have asked for.

However, not everything that was asked for (or that I may have alluded would be included) made the cut. Please don’t be upset if your “pet” feature is not in this update – I still have quite a long “to do” list so it will probably get in there eventually. Some feature requests get more “noise” than others do, so they tend to get done first - especially if the author has a use for them (selfish I know, but there has to be some perks :lol: )

"Captain, prepare to repel boarders" :unsure:

Edited by ClydeE

Unfortunately the only option available at the moment is the print screen, or export to a CSV format that can be loaded into Excel (or other program) and printed.

I must admit, having a PDA myself I have resisted adding printing to GSAK. Selfish bastard I know  ;)

As there now seems to be enough "noise" on this one I will add it to the "to do list" but I am sad to say it will not be in the upcoming release.

I have a PDA which I use just for caching, but a paper listing, table, summary, or whatever you want to call it would be very handy to use as a checklist. Sometimes paper is better.

Thanks much for considering this feature for a future version!

Edited by Boundertom

Gary

Be gentle with you? How dare you find a bug in GSAK, I will now have to break every bone in your body. ;)

Ok, now that I am just laying around in a body cast, I have another undocumented feature that I can't figure out.

I did a filter to come up with caches I wanted to do. I downloaded them to my Garmin II+. I noticed that the number of waypoints in the Filter didn't match the number in my GPSr. Went through one by one to find out what didn't make it to the unit. It appears that none of the records that only had GCxxx as a Code made it to the GPSr. Everything that had GCxxxx DID make it fine. I also noticed that the GPSr had a message about "Invalid Waypoint" on the screen after the download.

Any ideas on this one?

Gary

I did a filter to come up with caches I wanted to do. I downloaded them to my Garmin II+. I noticed that the number of waypoints in the Filter didn't match the number in my GPSr. Went through one by one to find out what didn't make it to the unit. It appears that none of the records that only had GCxxx as a Code made it to the GPSr. Everything that had GCxxxx DID make it fine. I also noticed that the GPSr had a message about "Invalid Waypoint" on the screen after the download.

Any ideas on this one?

As GSAK uses GPSBabel "Under the hood" to send waypoints to your GPS, it very much sounds like a GPSBabel/Garmin II+ issue. I will place a post on your behalf in the GPSBabel list and see what we can find out.

Off the top of my head, it would seem that waypoints for the Garmin II+ must be 6 characters at least.

In the mean time I suggest you use the smart name feature and set the length of the smart name accordingly. This also begs the question - why are you using the very unfriendly GCXXXX code to send to your GPS?

I noticed the same thing with my old Garmin 12. The same waypoints will upload without problems to my GPS 76.

It's been a while but I believe that when I exported the database as a GPX file all the waypoints would upload with EasyGPS.

please excuse my not reading all nine pages of this thread prior to asking this question. I have found the export function that converts the gpx/loc file to various file types a la gpsbabel (which i use all the time and am fairly familiar with). however, it does not seem to do all babel file types. is this true or am i just not looking hard enough in the right place?

tanks in advance

danny boggs