GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Clyde,

Question about filters for bearing. How far each side of a point does it work? For instance, if I have a North only turned on, does it go from north-west to

north to north-east or what chunk in between?

And yes I read the help file and didn't see that answer. :P

Thanks

They extend to the secondary intercardinal points. Perhaps the best way to explain this is to show a snippet of the code used to calculate this using degrees.

case Bearing of

0..23: Direction := 'N';

24..67: Direction := 'NE';

68..112: Direction := 'E';

113..157: Direction := 'SE';

158..203: Direction := 'S';

204..247: Direction := 'SW';

248..292: Direction := 'W';

293..337: Direction := 'NW';

338..360: Direction := 'N';

end;

Clyde,

Ok another one for you. Sorry.

(Yes I RTFM and it's not telling me what I wanted to know)

I have a list of files loaded and filter them so only my finds are showing. I click database/new and type in "my finds". When I click the ok button the files list empties. Bringing up the "my finds" database is empty.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Olar is correct on how to do this at the moment.

The Database=>New option only creates a new empty database

What you are really asking for here is a Database=>Save as... option

Next Release :P

Clyde,

Question about filters for bearing.  How far each side of a point does it work?  For instance, if I have a North only turned on, does it go from north-west to

north to north-east or what chunk in between? 

And yes I read the help file and didn't see that answer. :P

Thanks

They extend to the secondary intercardinal points. Perhaps the best way to explain this is to show a snippet of the code used to calculate this using degrees.

case Bearing of

0..23: Direction := 'N';

24..67: Direction := 'NE';

68..112: Direction := 'E';

113..157: Direction := 'SE';

158..203: Direction := 'S';

204..247: Direction := 'SW';

248..292: Direction := 'W';

293..337: Direction := 'NW';

338..360: Direction := 'N';

end;

Thanks for the explaination on the bearing points. Makes a lot of sence now and I can see where the filters will filter....... :P

Clyde,

(Yes I RTFM and it's not telling me what I wanted to know)

I have a list of files loaded and filter them so only my finds are showing.  I click database/new and type in "my finds".  When I click the ok button the files list empties.  Bringing up the "my finds" database is empty. 

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Olar is correct on how to do this at the moment.

The Database=>New option only creates a new empty database

What you are really asking for here is a Database=>Save as... option

Next Release :P

Thanks for taking my call Clyde and Olar. That "save as" feature will be a great addition for database configuring.

Don't stop now Clyde, you are almost up to 4 megs program size.. :P

GSAK version 2.03 is now ready to download.

The dreaded mouse wheel "kludge" just won't die :P

Yet another couple of problems that have popped up as a result of this "kludge". I am hoping that this is the end of it (Yea, right - supreme optimist I am!).

Fixes:

Fixed quick search data entry problems.

Fixed split screen some times not showing the correct cache when using the mouse wheel.

Download here http://gsak.geocaching.com.au

Cheers

Clyde

Clyde,

First, thanks for all your work on this great program.

I've looked for an answer to this in the help file and searched thru the 7 pages of posts here but have not seen any reference to my question.

A quick question for you or anyone else in this thread that has an answer:

I there any way to filter/sort my found caches based on the date I found them? I'd find this very helpful. I'm trying to resolve a problem with my 'Found' count. It was correct as of a couple weeks ago but after adding some updated found queries my count is off by one. A minor problem for sure but just wondering if it is possible to show the date I found somewhere. I'd find that quite useful at times, more useful than the Placed or Last Updated columns(at least til I need those for something anyway).

Just wondering...

Also, are you setup to accept donations thru PayPal for your great work.

Marty

maleki

Quick question: does the current version have the ability to prefix waypoint names - e.g. I have a PQ that contains traditionals - I will upload these to my GPS using the waypoint as given on GC.com. I have another PQ that contains multis/mystery. When I upload these to my GPS I want to be able to quickly see that they are not traditionals, and I need more info for them.

So on my GPS, trads would be GCXXXX, and multis would be MGCXXXX. The prefixing could be done on database open, GPS upload, or whenever.....

Thoughts???

Quick question: does the current version have the ability to prefix waypoint names - e.g. I have a PQ that contains traditionals - I will upload these to my GPS using the waypoint as given on GC.com. I have another PQ that contains multis/mystery. When I upload these to my GPS I want to be able to quickly see that they are not traditionals, and I need more info for them.

So on my GPS, trads would be GCXXXX, and multis would be MGCXXXX. The prefixing could be done on database open, GPS upload, or whenever.....

Thoughts???

Akerin, although I can't answer your specific question what I would suggest is identifying the various types of caches by assigning a different waypoint icon for each. Once you have your list of caches ready to upload, filter for each type individually and choosing your icon when that option pops-up during upload. It means multiple uploads but with this program it is quite easy and quick. The only problem would be remembering which icon designates which type. With my memory :) I would stick with two, traditional and non-traditional.

Cheers, Olar

Thoughts???

The current version, no. The next version - yes. Please see my post in this thread here

Is there any way to filter/sort my found caches based on the date I found them? I'd find this very helpful. I'm trying to resolve a problem with my 'Found' count. It was correct as of a couple weeks ago but after adding some updated found queries my count is off by one. A minor problem for sure but just wondering if it is possible to show the date I found somewhere. I'd find that quite useful at times, more useful than the Placed or Last Updated columns(at least til I need those for something anyway).

No. Interesting point though.

Unfortunately the GPX file from gc.com only contains an indicator to say that you have found the cache - it does not contain the DATE you found the cache.

I could interrogate the logs for this, but as GPX files only contian the last 5 logs this wouldn't work unless ALL your finds were in the last 5 logs of the GPX file.

There is also quite a few posts a while back discussing the various reasons how your found count can differ to that of gc.com

I there any way to filter/sort my found caches based on the date I found them? I'd find this very helpful. I'm trying to resolve a problem with my 'Found' count. It was correct as of a couple weeks ago but after adding some updated found queries my count is off by one. A minor problem for sure but just wondering if it is possible to show the date I found somewhere. I'd find that quite useful at times, more useful than the Placed or Last Updated columns(at least til I need those for something anyway).

Maleki,

As for sorting by found date that info isn't in the program to sort so my answer would be no but then again Clyde is the expert here.. :)

You might want to look for a couple things having to do with your count being off. First check if you have any entries in your "permanent delet list" as that will throw it off, and second, if you are filtering any archived caches that you have also found then that will also throw off your count also.

Now let's see what the programmer says. :)

Is there any way to filter/sort my found caches based on the date I found them? I'd find this very helpful. I'm trying to resolve a problem with my 'Found' count. It was correct as of a couple weeks ago but after adding some updated found queries my count is off by one. A minor problem for sure but just wondering if it is possible to show the date I found somewhere. I'd find that quite useful at times, more useful than the Placed or Last Updated columns(at least til I need those for something anyway).

No. Interesting point though.

Unfortunately the GPX file from gc.com only contains an indicator to say that you have found the cache - it does not contain the DATE you found the cache.

I could interrogate the logs for this, but as GPX files only contian the last 5 logs this wouldn't work unless ALL your finds were in the last 5 logs of the GPX file.

There is also quite a few posts a while back discussing the various reasons how your found count can differ to that of gc.com

Still sort of curious about this. I post this for info only. It is not a must have feature in any way.

When I look at caches that I've found - If I was within the last 5 logs, of course my log shows up - If I logged it ANYTIME before that, I'm listed sixth.

When I look at my exported GPX file I can sort of see the structure of each cache in my database(I'm surely not a programmer but I can sort of see the format). For every cache that has at least 5 logs I can see those(along with the log dates) - for caches that I have found earlier than the last 5 I am always the sixth. A couple lines above my GC id I can see the date I logged the cache. I checked a couple caches poking thru the GPX file in Notepad(how crude) and the pattern seems to hold up but not sure if it's true for all files/caches. I can find my date found in the file - even if it is beyond the last 5.

If you'd like my exported GPX file to experiment on(as if you have nothing else to do). It currently has 878 found(1 went missing) and 485 not found. I can also list some cache numbers as examples within the database.

Once again, THANKS FOR ALL YOUR EFFORTS!

marty/maleki

Still sort of curious about this. I post this for info only. It is not a must have feature in any way.

When I look at caches that I've found - If I was within the last 5 logs, of course my log shows up - If I logged it ANYTIME before that, I'm listed sixth.

When I look at my exported GPX file I can sort of see the structure of each cache in my database(I'm surely not a programmer but I can sort of see the format). For every cache that has at least 5 logs I can see those(along with the log dates) - for caches that I have found earlier than the last 5 I am always the sixth. A couple lines above my GC id I can see the date I logged the cache. I checked a couple caches poking thru the GPX file in Notepad(how crude) and the pattern seems to hold up but not sure if it's true for all files/caches. I can find my date found in the file - even if it is beyond the last 5.

If you'd like my exported GPX file to experiment on(as if you have nothing else to do). It currently has 878 found(1 went missing) and 485 not found. I can also list some cache numbers as examples within the database.

Once again, THANKS FOR ALL YOUR EFFORTS!

marty/maleki

As I said before the GPX files from gc.com only contains the last 5 logs. However if you have GPX files going back in time and load them, then GSAK will faithfully accumulate all the logs it can. For example if you loaded a GPX file that was 6 months old, then another today I would expect the cache in GSAK to have 10 logs (providing the cache was reasonably active). Your found log should show up in chronological sequence of the logs. I would admit this would seem strange if your found log is always the 6th log, but just by looking at the logs you should be able to determine if this is just coincidence or you log is not in the correct chronological sequence.

I'm sure this has been posted before,,,,,what files do you need to back up...to transfer all the data to my laptop?

If you want an EXACT replication of all your settings and data

1. Copy GSAK.ini and *.cds in the install folder of the from computer to the install folder of the to computer. Currently the onlyd .cds file is filter.cds, however there will be other .cds files in future releases.

2. Copyf over the "Data" folder (and all sub folders) from the install folder of the from computer to the install folder of your to computer.

Thats it :unsure:

A side note to all of this found files and such.

My team member was loading a new query into GSAK and his found count was low. And with no filters some of his finds were showing. Doing some looking in the gpx file we have determined that some where along the way some of the data from GC has been dropped or what ever. Some of these caches are still active. I looked on the web site and there was no log from him. He has a copy of his finds from previous logs and data. Not sure what to make of it......

[i belive that due to a recent change to the pocket query routine, the last five logs plus any logs that you have made are included in the PQs.

Brian

Aha!

Thanks Brian

That would then account for why the found logs are showing up as the 6th log, in many cases.

And the 'Date Found' also seems to be included in that data. Not sure if that's a recent addition or not.

Once again for info only.

Thanks for all your great work.

Also,  are you setup to accept donations thru PayPal for your great work.

No. I might look at adding this down the track when GSAK matures, but for now just "enjoy". :unsure:

(However, it is gratifying to know that you feel GSAK is worth something)

Edited to add sentence in brackets

Edited by ClydeE
[i belive that due to a recent change to the pocket query routine, the last five logs plus any logs that you have made are included in the PQs.

Brian

Aha!

Thanks Brian

That would then account for why the found logs are showing up as the 6th log, in many cases.

I too would love a column where the date I found the cache is shown and be able to filter on it.

I'd also love a column (perhaps a user defineable column?) where I could put the chronological 'find' number of the cache i.e. find 1, find 2 ... find xyz etc, again being able to filter on it would be terrific too.

Cheers for now.

I too would love a column where the date I found the cache is shown and be able to filter on it.

Ok, I'll look at adding in for the next release.

However, I might just have to review what makes it into the next release. I currently have a pretty long list and it is going to take some time to see the light of day.

I guess I have to determine if people would rather wait for an update that has a whole lot of features, or get smaller updates sooner.

I started using Watcher recently, but I've found GSAK to be very useful, particularly as GPX files can be automatically opened and merged, and on the last few runs I've made, it is running on the passenger seat.

I use the user flag to plan routes to hit caches in bunches. Right now, I select all the ones I plan to hit on Saturday and export a GPX for Saturday (for the PocketPC, with Mapopolis Maplet), then unselect all those and select the ones I plan to hit on Sunday and export a GPX for Sunday. Then I go back and select all for Saturday and Sunday, so my "hitlist" filter will show all. Then I drive around and hit the caches, making user notes when I find them.

I think a routing tool would be useful, where you can assign caches to a group, like Sat or Sun, so you can plan trips. I can see where this would be useful for trip planning further out, as it would be nice not to have to go back and re-select all the caches for a trip coming up, they would just stay in a group called "March Trip", and then if any more popped up in that area you could easily add them.

As I am still several months from clearing out all of New Orleans, this will not be as important until then, when I will have to be planning several longer runs if I am to maintain my addiction.

Having mentioned Mapopolis, I would also vote for integration with the GPXToMaplet tool. I really like Mapopolis so far.

I use the user flag to plan routes to hit caches in bunches. Right now, I select all the ones I plan to hit on Saturday and export a GPX for Saturday (for the PocketPC, with Mapopolis Maplet), then unselect all those and select the ones I plan to hit on Sunday and export a GPX for Sunday. Then I go back and select all for Saturday and Sunday, so my "hitlist" filter will show all. Then I drive around and hit the caches, making user notes when I find them.

I think a routing tool would be useful, where you can assign caches to a group, like Sat or Sun, so you can plan trips. I can see where this would be useful for trip planning further out, as it would be nice not to have to go back and re-select all the caches for a trip coming up, they would just stay in a group called "March Trip", and then if any more popped up in that area you could easily add them.

Another possible item to add to the "to do list"

However, you can effectively do this now. A bit of work, but far less than having to keep flagging the required caches all the time.

The user flag is currently saved when you export a GPX file. In your situation, what you would need to do is:

1. Flag a group of caches.

2. Set a filter on the user flag

3. Export this filter to Saturday.gpx

4. Clear all flags

5. Flag another group of caches

6. Set a filter on user flag.

7. Export to Sunday.gpx

When exporting the GPX file, you may want to uncheck the "include user notes in export" so that you don't get the warning message when you load them back in the next step.

Now at any time you can get back the User flags for Saturday or Sunday just by loading the corresponding saved GPX file (be sure to select the "always" option when loading)

Sorry for a “me too” post but I’ve been using this application for a couple of weeks and it is really good. I think I heard you mention that you might integrate CMConvert . . . that would be very cool. You have a killer app here!

Yes, this has been implemented. It s in the current development version. I have had a couple of users test this and it appears to be working ok.

Sorry if I missed this...I know GSAK uses GPSBabel under the hood and does Delorme .txt files but does it do .wpt files for Delorme Xmap/SA 2004 Handheld?

Currently No. I can add this one to "this list" but I would like confirmation that there are others who would use this format.

Anyone else?

I downloaded waypoints to my Garmin III plus and only got the first letter of the name in the comments section on the GPS. I tried it with easy GPS and it worked fine. Any one else notice this? I was going to try to use GPS Babel direct but could not figure out how to do it.

I have not had any other problem reports of this kind - but then I don't know if there are any other users with a Garmin III plus.

I have asked the question in the GPSBabel lists and am currently waiting for a reply. Stay tuned .....

If you want to take GSAK out of the equation to test this:

1. Do the upload via GSAK (required to make sure the babel.bat file is created for the next step)

2. Exit GSAK then run the file babel.bat (you will find this file in the installation folder of GSAK). This will do the upload using GPSBabel by itself. Now check to see if the result is still the same.

3. If the result is still the same, I would be interested to have a look at the file babel.txt (also in the installation folder of GSAK). Could you please e-mail this to me.

Edited by ClydeE
I really like this program! How about export to a txt/csv file with coordinates in Degrees, Minutes.Decimal... This would help me with a simple excel spreadsheet with the coordinates from the caches.

Thanks!

Another one for the “to do list” but don’t be disappointed if it doesn’t make the next release.

I have asked the question in the GPSBabel lists and am currently waiting for a reply. Stay tuned .....

Ok, here is the response from the GPSBabel list:

From the top of my pointy little head, I can't recall hearing success or

failure with the III+.  Since the fictional "garmin serial protocol" is

actually about a dozen different protocols that look vaguely familiar, I

can't fake shock when I hear corner cases that don't work.

However, we've had excellent success when affected hardware is in the

hands of a programmer type and very good success when working with a

user that can follow instructions to be the remote "eyes and ears" of a

developer.

(Send him our way directly if you'd like to not be the middle-man here,

Clyde.)

Ask him to send one waypoint to this unit with max debugging turned on

and send us exactly what appears on the screen.  Just hack down a GPX

file to contain only one cache

gpsbabel -i gpx -f that_file_gpx -D9 -o garmin -F com1:

This will show us every byte going over the wire and will allow us to

see which if the 15 (I'm not making this up) different waypoint transfer

protocols is in use and what we're putting on the hose.  The volume will

be large and nerdy.  It's important to cut and paste or blast it to a

file and report it precisely and not "interpret" it[1].  From there, we can

probably stare at the spec and see which packet is malformed.  Ask him

to look at his receiver afterward and see which field was fried, what it

contained, and what he exepected it to contain.

It's really not hard for the user; we just need him to be our eyes and

ears since the price tag of GPSBabel doesn't allow us to have a lab full

of test gear.

Could we have a list of filters in a drop down list on the main screen, next to the "full cache display" for example, then its a couple of clicks away to pull down saved filters.

Ta.

I kinda like this suggestion. I will try to get this in for the next release. :ph34r:

How about export to a txt/csv file with coordinates in Degrees, Minutes.Decimal
A little work with GPSBabel and Excel should get you there rather easily. You can export to the txt/csv file with GPSBabel, and it's a simple matter to put formulae in Excel that will convert whatever format you get from GPSBabel into ddd mm.mmm format. I do that all the time to convert dd.dddddddd formats into ddd mm.mmm format for location files from our guv'mint.
How about export to a txt/csv file with coordinates in Degrees, Minutes.Decimal
A little work with GPSBabel and Excel should get you there rather easily. You can export to the txt/csv file with GPSBabel, and it's a simple matter to put formulae in Excel that will convert whatever format you get from GPSBabel into ddd mm.mmm format. I do that all the time to convert dd.dddddddd formats into ddd mm.mmm format for location files from our guv'mint.

Thanks, Nightpilot.

Of course, if you do it this way then you can just use GSAK to export in one of the text formats. For example, "Microsoft streets and trips". Then you can use this file in your Excel spread sheet.

I agree with the use of the Excel formulae..., and I have in fact used the .txt. formats for export from GSAK. The request is a matter of adding an item to the "wish list" and adding one more blade to the GSAK. :ph34r: Thanks for the effort put into this excellent program!

Dennis

I downloaded waypoints to my Garmin III plus and only got the first letter of the name in the comments section on the GPS. I tried it with easy GPS and it worked fine. Any one else notice this? I was going to try to use GPS Babel direct but could not figure out how to do it.

I have not had any other problem reports of this kind - but then I don't know if there are any other users with a Garmin III plus.

If you want to take GSAK out of the equation to test this:

1. Do the upload via GSAK (required to make sure the babel.bat file is created for the next step)

2. Exit GSAK then run the file babel.bat (you will find this file in the installation folder of GSAK). This will do the upload using GPSBabel by itself. Now check to see if the result is still the same.

3. If the result is still the same, I would be interested to have a look at the file babel.txt (also in the installation folder of GSAK). Could you please e-mail this to me.

I am also using a Garmin III and have experienced the same thing.

I really like this program! How about export to a txt/csv file with coordinates in Degrees, Minutes.Decimal... This would help me with a simple excel spreadsheet with the coordinates from the caches.

Thanks!

Dont know if you know or if it is apropriate for your use, but Excel reads gpx-files.

hbrx.

I agree with the use of the Excel formulae..., and I have in fact used the .txt. formats for export from GSAK. The request is a matter of adding an item to the "wish list" and adding one more blade to the GSAK.

My intention here is to provide a flexible way of doing this. By this I mean giving you the ability to generate user defined text files (I’ll also be looking at native excel files). Basically you will be given a list of fields from the database, and be able to select (in any order) to generate the output file. For the Latitude and Longitude fields I will provide various different formats for the output.

So yes, this one is on the “to do list”. Unfortunately I had to draw the line somewhere, so it won’t make it into the upcoming release – but it will come.

I use USAphotomaps USAphotomaps. I would like to be able to use GSAK to import waypoints.

USAphotomaps uses GPX files, but the ones generated by GC, and GSAK are too big (too much info). I have had success previously by getting a LOC file from GC.com, converting it using Babel, then loading it in, BUT I would really like to be able to use GSAK.

Is there the possiblity of having an export for a "GPX Lite" file - prob just coordinates, waypoint, and cache name (or whatever the native loc file has in it???)

Thanks.

I use USAphotomaps USAphotomaps. I would like to be able to use GSAK to import waypoints.

USAphotomaps uses GPX files, but the ones generated by GC, and GSAK are too big (too much info). I have had success previously by getting a LOC file from GC.com, converting it using Babel, then loading it in, BUT I would really like to be able to use GSAK.

Is there the possiblity of having an export for a "GPX Lite" file - prob just coordinates, waypoint, and cache name (or whatever the native loc file has in it???)

Thanks.

GSAK already has a "lite" export option - It is called a LOC file. Have you tried the LOC file export from GSAK?

Here's the thing - usaphotomaps won't import loc's, only gpx or xml. Cheers, akerin

Then I don’t understand. You say it supports GPX and XML, then why won't it read the GPX files output from Geocaching.com and GSAK - they are both GPX files and both are XML.

Your previous post said they are "too big", but this doesn't really add up because any program that reads XML can just ignore the data it doesn't need and get the data it does need.

If it won't read these GPX files then I guess we need a "definitive" explanation of what the format is that it will read.

Hmm, seems I don't know enough about formats. Let me try a few things out - maybe it's a limitation in the USAphotomaps program that hiccups when you try to add 500 waypoints with all of the extra info that it doesn't use - it only seems to make use of lat/long, waypoint name, cache name.

akerin

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" standalone="yes"?>
<gpx version="1.0" creator="USAPhotoMaps - http://jdmcox.com"
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/0"
xmlns:topografix="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/Private/TopoGrafix/0/2"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/0 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/0/gpx.xsd
http://www.topografix.com/GPX/Private/TopoGrafix/0/2
http://www.topografix.com/GPX/Private/TopoGrafix/0/2/topografix.xsd">
<wpt lat="42.468596" lon="-71.346121">
<cmt>1</cmt>
</wpt>
<wpt lat="42.461004" lon="-71.349219">
<cmt>Cache location</cmt>
</wpt>
<wpt lat="42.380648" lon="-71.475469">
<cmt>tritown</cmt>
</wpt>
</gpx>

I found the gpx/xml file that the program uses to store waypoints I've added. Don't know if this is different from other GPX/XML. If not it's almost definitely a problem with the program not liking 1Mb files.

Edited by akerin