GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Clyde,

Your program works great.

I do have one question. I dont know if you would call it a bug, a quirk, or a "feature". When I am using the wheel of my wheel-mouse in the lower screen of split screen mode, and reach the end of a particular record, it starts scrolling through the next records. It makes it a bit difficult to navigate. S0ometimes, I like to go up and down in the same record, and this "feature" makes that pretty hard.

Have I missed a user configuration, or could it be that the program needs another tweak?

Gary

I do have one question. I dont know if you would call it a bug, a quirk, or a "feature". When I am using the wheel of my wheel-mouse in the lower screen of split screen mode, and reach the end of a particular record, it starts scrolling through the next records. It makes it a bit difficult to navigate. S0ometimes, I like to go up and down in the same record, and this "feature" makes that pretty hard.

Have I missed a user configuration, or could it be that the program needs another tweak?

In a perfect world, this shouldn't happen.

Unfortunately it is an "unwanted" feature of the control I am using to display caches in the split screen. There is no option to turn it off. I did agonize over this when introducing the split screen, but it does add so much functionality to GSAK I decided to go with it warts and all. If it really gets you down, instead use the scroll bar at the right to scroll the split screen - this does not have the same problem

This may sound cheap and that's too bad but....

My fiance is getting into caching with me and we do not feel the need to have two premium memberships in one house.  Is there anything in the gpx file that a person can do to let it know what caches she has found for filtering in GSAK?

A bit messy, but you can do this.

Firstly you must configure GSAK to allow "Manual update of cache found status" - Tools=>options.

Before loading the GPX file, do a search and replace with your favourite text editor. You must replace all occurrences of "Geocache Found" with "Geocache". Most editors will allow replacing the whole file in one action. This will prevent the caches YOU have found showing up in the other database/computer.

Finally you will then need to "tick" any found caches. You only need to do this for new caches found each time. That is, the ones previously updated will remain "ticked" and not need to be updated again.

(edited to explain you can use another database or computer for this)

Edited by ClydeE
This may sound cheap and that's too bad but....

My fiance is getting into caching with me and we do not feel the need to have two premium memberships in one house.  Is there anything in the gpx file that a person can do to let it know what caches she has found for filtering in GSAK?

A bit messy, but you can do this.

Firstly you must configure GSAK to allow "Manual update of cache found status" - Tools=>options.

Before loading the GPX file, do a search and replace with your favourite text editor. You must replace all occurrences of "Geocache Found" with "Geocache". Most editors will allow replacing the whole file in one action. This will prevent the caches YOU have found showing up in the other database/computer.

Finally you will then need to "tick" any found caches. You only need to do this for new caches found each time. That is, the ones previously updated will remain "ticked" and not need to be updated again.

(edited to explain you can use another database or computer for this)

As usual you came through for me/us. Thanks Clyde.

I'm sure others might enjoy this information you have provided.

Cool beans.. :(

I do have one question.  I dont know if you would call it a bug, a quirk, or a "feature".  When I am using the wheel of my wheel-mouse in the lower screen of split screen mode, and reach the end of a particular record, it starts scrolling through the next records.  It makes it a bit difficult to navigate.  S0ometimes, I like to go up and down in the same record, and this "feature" makes that pretty hard. 

In a perfect world, this shouldn't happen.

Unfortunately it is an "unwanted" feature of the control I am using to display caches in the split screen. There is no option to turn it off. I did agonize over this when introducing the split screen, but it does add so much functionality to GSAK I decided to go with it warts and all. If it really gets you down, instead use the scroll bar at the right to scroll the split screen - this does not have the same problem

I have been tinkering around with this one and may have finally come up with a "kludge" to fix it. Very ugly in the programming department, but the good thing is that end users don't get to see this side.

I just need to do some more testing to make sure it works on all windows versions. If all goes well I will include this "fix" in version 2.01 (maintenance release) which will be out shortly.

Edited: operating systems => windows versions

Edited by ClydeE

First I want to say, great program!! It has replaced a couple of already good programs that I had been using previously.

Can I add feature requests to this thread?

Some of the things I'd like to see in future versions:

- Ability to import HTML page.

The count that GSAK is showing for my finds is not quite accurate. This is due to some archived caches. It would be very cool if you could point GSAK to the actual HTML page and have it import that into its database. Currently I know of no other way to do this. I can import the .LOC file, but that is missing a ton of info. The GPX files do not contain archived caches, and who knows if they ever will. I think that this would be a very handy feature.

- integrate Cachemate's CMCONVERT.

Right now this is just an extra step that I have to do. It would be nice if I could cut out that middle program and send the caches I want right to the PDA. I realize this would probably entail working with Cachemate's author and that maybe it should be a feature request for GPSbabel instead, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

- rectangle, circle, and arc filters.

On the filters box it would be cool to have a spot where you could choose to filter the caches based on a rectangle with bounding coordinates (maybe imported from a file), a circle with center coordinates and a distance, or an arc list with a list of coords and a distance from the arcs that you want caches. I believe GPSbabel already does some of this. I don't know if you could use that preexisting functionality or not.

Well, those are a couple of my ideas. Thanks again for the great program!

--RuffRidr

First, thanks a lot for letting us all use this fine piece of software.

I put it up to a real test last week, before and during a cache expedition to

a city 300 km away (Gothenburg, Sweeden ( I am based in Oslo, Norway).

Awsome in planning the route and wich caches to visit when combined with

OziExplorer. And this brings me to a 'feature request' or a question on something

I thought I managed to do but cant reproduce.

When exporting waypoints to Ozi I can choose between

Cache Code, SmartName and Cache Description to name the waypoints.

There is also a field for 'Cache Description Format' wher I can define

how the description field of the waypoint is constructed.

Firstly, It is a bit confusing having two different 'Descriptions'.

and second, and my main concern;

I am of the strong believe that I managed to transfer waypoints to Ozi

with the waypoint names build from the 'Cache Description Format', but I

am now not able to reproduce it. This leds me to believe I remember wrong.

Anyhow, It would be wery useful being able to build up the waypoint name

with the variables from the description field. This enebeling us to quickly

sort out what type/difficulty/terrein/size a cache is only with a glance on the map.

And in the same lane, the possibility to choose colors for different types of

containers/types f.ex. could also be useful.

At least in the situation when you are planning a cache trip, or during one.

Yes, you have this informatin in Ozi when positioning the pointer on the waypoint,

but thats sometimes cumbersome or tiresome.

To sum it up:

My wish is to have colours and %-codes in cache names from GSAK,

an otherwise great program.

hbrx.

maybe it should be a feature request for GPSbabel instead, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

- rectangle, circle, and arc filters.

GPSBabel already has filters for polygons (which is a superset of simple rectangles) radius and arc. They're even called that by name in the doc.

So use GPSBabel to pre-process the GPX that you hand to GSAK...

Ability to import HTML page.

No! No! No! geocaching.com take a very dim view of this practice. Programs than can trawl the site and download a full GPX file effectively negate the need for a premium membership. I must confess I am dead against this, so I will never put this into GSAK. Besides, gc.com often make subtle changes that cause these type of programs to go "guts up". A far better approach is for all users to ask gc.com to add the ability to download archived caches in the pocket queries.

integrate Cachemate's CMCONVERT.

I have already made mention in this thread that I will be adding CacheMate conversion to GSAK in the next release.

rectangle, circle, and arc filters.

Arc filters are definitely slated for the next release. At the same time I will have a look at the others.

To sum it up:

Yes, the next version of GSAK has a complete overhaul of how the "Waypoint name" is generated. As requested you will be able to now generate the waypoint name using %tags (like you do with description). I will be adding new tags to allow for a wide variety of combinations for the waypoint name.

I will also be making changes to the selection for icons that are output to the GPS and exports that support them (like OziExplorer). Currently you can only select icons for found, not found, placed and archived. I will be expanding this to allow for a new group called "cache type", so you will then be able to allocate icons by Status (found etc.), Cache type (multi etc), or a combination of both. That is if you select the combination option you will be able to set icons for Found_Multi, and NotFound_Multi etc.

As for the colours - well not yet. I may reconsider this in a future release

Ability to import HTML page.

No! No! No! geocaching.com take a very dim view of this practice. Programs than can trawl the site and download a full GPX file effectively negate the need for a premium membership. I must confess I am dead against this, so I will never put this into GSAK. Besides, gc.com often make subtle changes that cause these type of programs to go "guts up". A far better approach is for all users to ask gc.com to add the ability to download archived caches in the pocket queries.

Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that. Although I still think it would be rather hard to build up a usable GPX one cache at a time. I used to hate building up .LOC files when you could choose all the caches on a page.

This is still something I really want to be able to do. I think I'll hack together some PERL and do it on my own then.

Damnit, why can't they just make archived caches available in the GPX? Argh.

integrate Cachemate's CMCONVERT.

I have already made mention in this thread that I will be adding CacheMate conversion to GSAK in the next release.

rectangle, circle, and arc filters.

Arc filters are definitely slated for the next release. At the same time I will have a look at the others.

Well 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Excellent! Can't wait to see the next version. Keep up the good work.

--RuffRidr

GSAK Version 2.01 (Maintenance release) is now ready

Fixes in this release:

Fixed error when changing a cache in a filtered subset, that caused the subset to contain 0 caches.

Fixed creating a new database showing counts for previous one

Fixed not being able to exit filter if there are 0 caches in the database

Fixed kms->miles not applying until AFTER exiting config screen

Fixed "cannot make a visible window modal" config problem

Previously all progress screens were "stay on top". Now changed, so you can switch to another application when GSAK is performing a long running process.

Fixed problems with GPX files that were "altered" by other utilities.

Fixed some broken help links

Used a "Kludge" to fix problems with mouse wheel in split screen.

Download here http://gsak.geocaching.com.au

Cheers

Clyde

To sum it up:

Yes, the next version of GSAK has a complete overhaul of how the "Waypoint name" is generated. As requested you will be able to now generate the waypoint name using %tags (like you do with description). I will be adding new tags to allow for a wide variety of combinations for the waypoint name.

As for the colours - well not yet. I may reconsider this in a future release

Well, seems my wishes come true <_<

With the tags going into the waypointname the need for color is

not that important, as it is easy to sort waypoints by name in Ozi, and applying color to multiple waypoints.

When adding tags, will 'shortforms' of %typ and %con (like R/M for a Regular/Micro) be available?

Will you consider other tags suggested here?

hbrx.

When adding tags, will 'shortforms' of %typ and %con (like R/M for a Regular/Micro) be available?

Yes, where it is meaningful there will two tags for each class. For example for cache type there will be %typ = full cache type and %typ1 = first character of cache type.

Any other suggestions on this are most welcome.

Yes, where it is meaningful there will two tags for each class. For example for cache type there will be %typ = full cache type and %typ1 = first character of cache type.

Any other suggestions on this are most welcome.

Ahh, you realize you have opened up a 'can of worms' now?

I have some variations in mind, will type it up and post it.

hbrx.

Edited by hbrx

Anyone get a VB error after installing 2.0.1? It maybe coincedence but, today after installing the new update for GSAK I begin to get wird VB errors on my XP box. I did a system restore to yesterday and 2.0 final came back and I am not getting any VB errors. It coulb possibly be other software I have as well but I am just trying to piece things together.

Clyde,

There are definitely some issues with the new 2.01 version on my computer. Weird things happen when I use the scroll wheel on my mouse, and then click on the scroll bar on the right of the window. The first time it launched a Quicktime update (which was frozen)! The next time I tried to replicate the error and it came up with an Exception log and then emailed a dump file to you. Anyway, just thought you'd like to know.

--RuffRidr

Clyde,

We got a bug. The fiance was still using version 2.00 and we set the max number of wp's upload to 100 and that's all that were uploaded. But when set to 80 it still did 100. We installed the new version 2.01 and it doesn't control upload limits at all. All 350 wp's go to the GPSr no matter what you set it at......

UH Oh................ <_<

Clyde,

We got a bug. The fiance was still using version 2.00 and we set the max number of wp's upload to 100 and that's all that were uploaded. But when set to 80 it still did 100. We installed the new version 2.01 and it doesn't control upload limits at all. All 350 wp's go to the GPSr no matter what you set it at......

This not a bug (but perhaps the help file needs better clarification)

The "Maximum number of waypoints" is currently only to give you a warning if you try to load more than this number to your GPS. That is, most GPS's only allow a max of 500 waypoints to upload and can sometimes cause weird errors if you try to load more. This is purely a safeguard against this.

It would seem the wheel mouse “kludge” has introduced its own problems on some systems.

The main symptom is the error “Cannot create file C:\Program Files\GSAK\temp\GCG5MG.htm” or similar. I can sometimes get this to occur if I rapidly scroll the mouse wheel up and down, when the grid is positioned on the last cache.

The other symptom is strange behaviour when using the scroll button at the right of the grid. If you click just below the scroll button a few times, then drag the scroll button to the very top, it can sometimes cause strange flickering of the screen – and even locking up the program.

Both these errors only occur when using “split screen” mode.

I believe I now have a fix for both these problems. However, I don’t want to go public with it just yet in case it introduces yet another set of problems.

So, If you are able to reproduce EITHER of the two problems above, and would like to help me test this fix before going public, could you please drop me an e-mail (cwe at iinet dot net dot au). I will then send you a link to the new version and hopefully we can sort this out.

Thanks

Clyde

Clyde,

We got a bug.  The fiance was still using version 2.00 and we set the max number of wp's upload to 100 and that's all that were uploaded.  But when set to 80 it still did 100.  We installed the new version 2.01 and it doesn't control upload limits at all.  All 350 wp's go to the GPSr no matter what you set it at......

This not a bug (but perhaps the help file needs better clarification)

The "Maximum number of waypoints" is currently only to give you a warning if you try to load more than this number to your GPS. That is, most GPS's only allow a max of 500 waypoints to upload and can sometimes cause weird errors if you try to load more. This is purely a safeguard against this.

I understand what you are saying Clyde, but how do you explain that there were 350 caches in the file when we said only load 100 using version 2.00 and that's all that loaded (although when we told it 80 it still loaded 100? When we changed to version 2.01 that's when it did it's upload of ALL files even though we told it 100?

In both versions we did get the window saying there were 350 caches to upload to the unit and we were trying do more than the GPS options. That is very misleading for sure. :D

I understand what you are saying Clyde, but how do you explain that there were 350 caches in the file when we said only load 100 using version 2.00 and that's all that loaded (although when we told it 80 it still loaded 100? When we changed to version 2.01 that's when it did it's upload of ALL files even though we told it 100?

If this did happen exactly as you describe, then it is a bug in sending the waypoints to the GPS. However, I haven't had other reports of this, nor can I reproduce this behaviour with 2.00 here.

Edited by ClydeE

Rosco if your file contains 350 caches but you only want 100 to load wouldn't you have to filter out or delete the caches you don't want so that you end up with a file of 100? If I understand it correctly the program will only upload those that are currently being viewed and not any that were filtered out.

Olar

Now that you have taken care of the wheel mouse problem, I would like to suggest a mod.  It probably is GPSBabel's problem, but is there any way you can have the Magellan  machines load faster than 9600 baud.  I have been used to ExpertGPS being able to go much faster.  Just a wish for the future.

You can already do this, GPS=>Setup, then change the port speed.

Only Garmin is restricted to 9600 and that is not software related but a restriction imposed by Garmin in the receiver itself.

Edited by ClydeE

Did I hear that you are working on being able to use a route (arc) file? This will solve my final request for this otherwise most excellent program! Thanks for all your work. I look forward to the next release! Between GSAK & GPXSonar, what else could I possibley need?

Did I hear that you are working on being able to use a route (arc) file? This will solve my final request for this otherwise most excellent program! Thanks for all your work. I look forward to the next release! Between GSAK & GPXSonar, what else could I possibley need?

Yes, arc filters will definitely make it into the next release. I will also be looking at polygon and radius filters.

If this did happen exactly as you describe, then it is a bug in sending the waypoints to the GPS. However, I haven't had other reports of this, nor can I reproduce this behaviour with 2.00 here.

Clyde,

It's one of thoes things that happened that just happened. We had the 350 files in front of us and told the options to do 100 (I wasn't aware that this isn't what that option does)(And I'm still not sure what it's supposed to be telling you when the total is both at the bottom of the screen and in the window for sending.) We had NO message window come up telling us that we were trying to upload less than in the list. We didn't get the window when telling it 100 nor did we at 80. Only time we did was when we installed 2.01 then it came up.

Oh well either way, I usually just filter out to a certain mileage to get the list size down anyway as Olar suggested in his/her post. We were just trying things and this seemed to work. Or did it... :lol:

Now that you have taken care of the wheel mouse problem, I would like to suggest a mod.  It probably is GPSBabel's problem, but is there any way you can have the Magellan  machines load faster than 9600 baud.  I have been used to ExpertGPS being able to go much faster.  Just a wish for the future.

You can already do this, GPS=>Setup, then change the port speed.

Only Garmin is restricted to 9600 and that is not software related but a restriction imposed by Garmin in the receiver itself.

I have mine set at 115200 and it's very fast indeed. Works just fine..... :lol:

Following on....

In the next version I will allow you to limit the number of waypoints actually sent to the GPS. Somthing along the lines of From number to number, where the from and to will be in the order of the current sorting sequence. So If you only wanted the first 100 waypoints sent down then enter from 1 to 100

Edited by ClydeE

In the next version I will allow you to limit the number of waypoints actually sent to the GPS.

Thats an excellent feature.

Any suggestions, or could we have, the ability to search for posts that we have marked as "did not find" (or "posted a note" or "needs archiving"). A possible feature of a "find" overruling the prior "did not find" would be even better. The main feature i'd like is the did not find - then I can have a filter for these and see at a glance which ones have been visited (and found) since I couldn't find it - that way it would flag me to go and try again.

Any suggestions, or could we have, the ability to search for posts that we have marked as "did not find" (or "posted a note" or "needs archiving"). A possible feature of a "find" overruling the prior "did not find" would be even better. The main feature i'd like is the did not find - then I can have a filter for these and see at a glance which ones have been visited (and found) since I couldn't find it - that way it would flag me to go and try again.

Next version will have a very powerful feature called "full text" search. This will search all text data in your database (including notes and logs) for any word or phrase. Also, all matched words/phrases will be highlighted in the split screen or offline view, so you can see in what context the word/phrase was found. (This feature is already complete in the version I am working on now)

In your situation it would allow you to formulate any custom "keywords" or phrases in your notes, then search for these "keywords" or phrases.

GSAK version 2.02 is now ready

This version is another maintenance release, mainly to address a couple of problems introduced by the mouse wheel "Kludge" in 2.01

If your bandwidth is limited, there is now an option to just download the main GSAK.exe file (this is all that has changed)

Changes:

Fixed "Cannot create file..." error on some systems

Fixed problems using the grid scroll bar on some systems

Fixed some progress bars that were still "stay on top"

Download here http://gsak.geocaching.com.au

Cheers

Clyde

Clyde,

Just to let you know that working with the files as you mentioned (taking out the "geocache found") and running them on the other half's computer and letting her sort as she feels like is working great. It's getting kind of confusing with her just starting out and me with close to 100 finds (which it will be as of today). We have to make a list of everything for her, not found for me, want to find for her, don't care about for me and so one...... :P Now with both of use having a GPSr and the lap top it's a full time job just getting the data ready for the big hunt :lol:

But oh what fun it is... :lol:

And how's things at the prison? Fleas getting to you and can't remember where you hid that bone :lol:

Edited to add insult to injury :P

Edited by Rosco Bookbinder

Next version will have a very powerful feature called "full text" search. This will search all text data in your database (including notes and logs) for any word or phrase. Also, all matched words/phrases will be highlighted in the split screen or offline view, so you can see in what context the word/phrase was found.

Will this full text search apply to waypoint names? ie search for tk and gctk41 shows up.. Excellent program. Thanks!

Is there a way to put the Cache Type/Icon and Bearing on the HTML cache pages?

Sorry, I don't quite understand the question.

The cache type icon should already show in the offline HTML pages.

As for bearing, bearing to where? If you are referring to bearing and distance from a certain point, you need to add these via the "Update locations" button before HTML generation. These locations are in the same format as GPX spinner (that is, you can just cut and paste from spinners reflocations.txt file)

Is there a way to put the Cache Type/Icon and Bearing on the HTML cache pages?

Sorry, I don't quite understand the question.

The cache type icon should already show in the offline HTML pages.

As for bearing, bearing to where? If you are referring to bearing and distance from a certain point, you need to add these via the "Update locations" button before HTML generation. These locations are in the same format as GPX spinner (that is, you can just cut and paste from spinners reflocations.txt file)

I was actually looking for the cache type/icon and bearing on the 'Index by Distance' page and the cache type/icon on the 'Index by Bearing' page.

How can you tell the type of cache or bearing from these index pages?

Again Thanks...

Clyde,

Ok another one for you. Sorry.

(Yes I RTFM and it's not telling me what I wanted to know)

I have a list of files loaded and filter them so only my finds are showing. I click database/new and type in "my finds". When I click the ok button the files list empties. Bringing up the "my finds" database is empty.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Clyde,

Ok another one for you. Sorry.

(Yes I RTFM and it's not telling me what I wanted to know)

I have a list of files loaded and filter them so only my finds are showing. I click database/new and type in "my finds". When I click the ok button the files list empties. Bringing up the "my finds" database is empty.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

The only way I can see how to do it is to get your filtered list, export it as a gpx file, switch to the new database and then import the gpx file back in. A "save as" option would be nice however exporting and importing as above is easy and fast anyway.

Cheers, Olar

I was actually looking for the cache type/icon and bearing on the 'Index by Distance' page and the cache type/icon on the 'Index by Bearing' page.

How can you tell the type of cache or bearing from these index pages?

Ok, now I understand your question.

The short answer is "you can't". I'll look at adding this though.