GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

A feature request for GSAK (as if you don't have enough..)

Ability to switch to a topo map/sat image of the cache location - similar to the way that USAphotomaps is presented. The datasets are freely available. I'm wondering if you could get the code from the author of photomaps, and integrate??

Thanks for an excellent piece of software

I think I found a small problem. Since I am using a 60C, I have to Export my GPX file to Mapsource and then upload it to the GPS from there. When I did this, GSAK exported the actual NAMES of the caches instead of the Waypoint names. Instead of getting GCHK13 for example, it shows up as "Chicad". Is there a way around this?

When exporting select 'Cache Code' NOT 'Smart Name' in the Export to Mapsource dialogue window.

I think I found a small problem. Since I am using a 60C, I have to Export my GPX file to Mapsource and then upload it to the GPS from there. When I did this, GSAK exported the actual NAMES of the caches instead of the Waypoint names. Instead of getting GCHK13 for example, it shows up as "Chicad". Is there a way around this?

All exports allow 2 options for the waypoint name, "Cache code" or "Smart name".

"Smart name" is the default as it allows a meaningful unique name for each cache. However, if you prefer the geocaching.com code just select the "Cache Code" option.

For more information on both these options, click on the help button of any export screen.

A feature request for GSAK

Ability to switch to a topo map/sat image of the cache location - similar to the way that USAphotomaps is presented. The datasets are freely available. I'm wondering if you could get the code from the author of photomaps, and integrate??

The next version of GSAK will allow for user creation of online URLs using "tags" (similar to the description tags currently used). These "tags" will include lat, lon, gc.com cache code, etc. GSAK will then ship with some of the common default map URLs, but as long as you can currently build the url for the map you require then you should be able to automatically do this in GSAK

Edited by ClydeE

Clyde,

It's fixed!!! Figures you never make mistakes. :lol:

I had one entry that was a find in the permanent delete list and the one cache of my own that I had a find on. I deleted the log on my own cache, took out the wp from delete list and loaded a brand new list and all is well. The counts make sence and are correct.

Again you win... :D

Thanks for all your help and support.

Clyde,

It's fixed!!! Figures you never make mistakes. :lol:

I had one entry that was a find in the permanent delete list and the one cache of my own that I had a find on. I deleted the log on my own cache, took out the wp from delete list and loaded a brand new list and all is well. The counts make sence and are correct.

Again you win... :D

Thanks for all your help and support.

Good to see this issue finally resolved. :D

As for mistakes, don't worry - I make my fair share (more than I care to admit :D )

"GSAK 2.00 Final" is now ready. Hopefully it has now been around long enough to iron out most of the bugs (I will never say all)

I suggest everyone update to this version, especially if you have been waiting for it to come out of Beta. (please note that Beta 3 was a CLOSED beta and was never made public)

Changes since Beta 2

Removed " (quotes) from MapSouce file name generation.

Fixed various problems associated with the introduction of the "unavailable" automatic update.

Added "National Geographic Topo" export option.

Added option in GPS setup to enter the maximum number of waypoints your GPS can have.

Minor changes to how saved filters show in the status bar

Major Code changes to use less system and GDI resources - Hopefully fixing problems on Win95/98/ME

Changes since Beta 3

Fixed message not showing when archive/unavailable caches become availabe again.

Minor changes to how saved filters show in the status bar

Fixed icon,size and colour problems with Street Atlas export (only an issue with ver 9.0)

Setting your centre point to home or a cache no longer removes the current filter.

The help file has been fully updated to reflect all the changes in Version 2

Download here http://gsak.geocaching.com.au

Cheers

Clyde

ClydeE, I just downloaded "GSAK 2.00 Final" and when I try to install get this message:

Archive integrity check failed

The expected setup file size 3,613,969 bytes

The Actual setup file is 898,443 bytes

Setup will Abort.

I'm running Win XP Pro, no problems with the program until this install.

Thanks

NJLOAD

ClydeE, I just downloaded "GSAK 2.00 Final" and when I try to install get this message:

Archive integrity check failed

The expected setup file size 3,613,969 bytes

The Actual setup file is 898,443 bytes

Setup will Abort.

I'm running Win XP Pro, no problems with the program until this install.

Thanks

NJLOAD

Sounds like it did not download fully. T(there was a bit of rush on the site after the initial announcement) Try again and it should be fine now.

How about having the program load a file sorted by miles from center point instead of alphabetically? Or an option in the setup on how you want the program to sort when loaded?

I look for caches by distance from home not by their names in a certain order.

Ok, I'll add this as an option in the config screen. The option will be "Default Sorting sequence"

When you start GSAK, or Load a GPX file, GSAK will then sort caches by that column. (next release :lol: )

Yep, you can change what you want to import to your GPS in Mapsource. GSAK will bring all of the data into your MapSource Program. You can change waypoint by waypoint in Mapsource or Click on Edit/Preferences and choose whether you want to see NAME or DESCRIPTION for each waypoint. Then upload. Whatever your Mapsource settings are that is what gets transfered. At least it does that with my Mapsource program and my Geko 301.

Good Luck!

CG

Thanks to all that have provided feedback on GSAK. There have been a few minor issues with Version 2.00 final and I will release a 2.01 fix for these. I will just wait a while to see what else pops up.

I have already started on the next version of GSAK and there is a raft of new features I will be adding. However I would like to make the point that the next version may not follow quite as quickly as some of the others. Sheepish grin….

I have just had notification from the Software Development Authority that I am in direct violation of some of their terms and conditions (outrageous as they are!)

I am currently appealing this ruling. However, if you have had dealings with a similar authority in your local jurisdiction, you would understand the futility (or should that be stupidity) of such action.

I also get the weird notion I may have exacerbated the situation with my nonchalant reply of “ok, in a minute” when she strutted into my study, wearing nothing but a rose between her teeth, and dancing provocatively to “you can keep your hat on – by Joe Cocker”

So, providing I can get the computer connected from the “dog house”, I’ll keep you posted.

Cheers

Clyde

OK, if you hadn’t already guessed “Software Development Authority” = wife.

Also, you can wipe that bloody grin off your face – it could happen to you too!

Clyde, when you get from the dog house, could you tell me if there's a way to enter the cache name (ie GC1234) in the search so it pulls the line up immediately instead of scrolling for it>

"Yes dear, I'll be right there, dear. No dear, I'm not doing that caching thing again. Of course, dear , I think of you all the time, dear."

:D Alan

Hi all,

I am no etiquette guru so you can take the following with a pinch of salt if you like. BUT….

If you use and like GSAK I am quite happy for you to recommend it to others. However I would appreciate if your postings in the forums (or whereever) you do not “bag” other software in the process. Other software authors have generously given their time to write these programs and they are often written with the intention to meet a niche market. You can’t please all the people all the time ….

Thanks

Clyde

The feature to set the centre point for your home or other location is planned for the next release. In the mean time, here is something kewl! Take a geocache waypoint that you are not interest in tracking and correct the coordinates to your home coordinates. Then set the centre point to this goecache. You can then delete this geocache entry and now the distances are displayed from your home. :D

The feature to set the centre point for your home or other location is planned for the next release. In the mean time, here is something kewl! Take a geocache waypoint that you are not interest in tracking and correct the coordinates to your home coordinates. Then set the centre point to this goecache. You can then delete this geocache entry and now the distances are displayed from your home. :unsure:

True, being able to set the centre point to other user set locations will come in the next release. However, what you are doing now is not necessary.

GSAK does currently allow for you to configure it to ONE location to set as centre.

Tools=>options "Home coordinates". You can set the home coordinates to anything you like. Once you have done this, just click on the home button in the tool bar to display distances and bearings in relation to this point.

If you currently want MORE than one location to simultaneously use as a centre point you could use the method you described, however I do not see the need to delete the cache as you might want to use it again to set centre.

I guess I'm lost on what you guys are talking about on the center point thing. I have my home coords in the setup and it's my center point. I can also right click any cache and use it as a center point. When I'm done I click the home icon and go back to my own. As far as center points go that's all I need. I use the same thing with GPXSonar on my PDA in the field. Clue me in if you will..........

I guess I'm lost on what you guys are talking about on the center point thing.  I have my home coords in the setup and it's my center point.  I can also right click any cache and use it as a center point.  When I'm done I click the home icon and go back to my own.  As far as center points go that's all I need.  I use the same thing with GPXSonar on my PDA in the field.  Clue me in if you will..........

This feature would be useful for people who want to be able to set other center points that are not caches.

For example, You may travel a lot and want to know all the caches within a 10 mile radius of your hotel. Some users have parents who live a distance away, whom they visit often - again, handy to be able to set this one.

In the next release I will also enable you to set a post/zip code as the center point (sorry USA and Australia only at this stage)

Edited by ClydeE

Hi,

I've been using GSAk for a while now and there's only one feature that I either can't figure out how to do or I'd like to see added.

I really want to be able to manually enter either a 2nd waypoint for a cache or just be able to manually add waypoints to the database.

The reason I'd like to do this is so that I can upload things like parking coordinates, puzzle cache solutions, and other misc waypoints I have to the GPS without using other software or entering them manually.

Thanks for the great software!!!

I really want to be able to manually enter either a 2nd waypoint for a cache or just be able to manually add waypoints to the database.

It's not in there yet but that's one of the things that Clyde says he will putting in in the near future. A lot of people have asked for that option. Ask him for anything and he will put it in.

Hey, he's in the dog house now so a bit more code won't hurt... ;)

Yes, this feature will surely be added in the next release.

However, you can do this now if you really want. A little cumbersome but it will work. See my posts in this thread here and here

A minor annoyance you could possibly consider changing is that whenever I select a new center point, all of the filters get cleared. Usually I set up a filter, then pick one of the few waypoints still displayed to be center. The way it works now, I then have to reapply the filter. I have the same complaint that if I click the cancel button on the filter screen, the filter gets removed. I would prefer that this action simply cancel on editing the filter and leave the existing filter in place. To clear the filter I already have the cancel filter speedbutton on the main page or the reset filter button on the filter edit page. Thanks for your consideration. ;)

Yes, this feature will surely be added in the next release.

However, you can do this now if you really want. A little cumbersome but it will work. See my posts in this thread here and here

There is a way to import a "home made waypoint" as Clyde pointed out to me some time back. It involves using EasyGPS.

Open that program and click on "ADD" then in the window put in your information. In the WAYPOINT area, make a name for the entry using GCXXXX. You get four letters to identify this entry in a way you will remember it. It HAS to start with GC in order to work between EasyGPS and GSAK. Save the entry as a gpx file then import it into GSAK along with your other files.

A minor annoyance you could possibly consider changing is that whenever I select a new center point, all of the filters get cleared.  Usually I set up a filter, then pick one of the few waypoints still displayed to be center.  The way it works now, I then have to reapply the filter.

Hmmm, this issue was addressed in 2.00 Final. What version are you running? A good reason to update perhaps? ;)

Edited by ClydeE
A minor annoyance you could possibly consider changing is that whenever I select a new center point, all of the filters get cleared.  Usually I set up a filter, then pick one of the few waypoints still displayed to be center.  The way it works now, I then have to reapply the filter.

Hmmm, this issue was addressed in 2.00 Final. What version are you running? A good reason to update perhaps? :lol:

It works fine in 2.00 Final. Just tried it. Someone didn't upgrade. :unsure:

Oops :lol: (removing foot from mouth). Man! You're too quick for me! I'm away from my net-connected computer for a couple of days and the whole world changes! I can't even discover faults before you've fixed them. Thanks much! (off to the download page now :( )

GAWD :mad: I can't imagine being away that long. You have no idea how many things could change in that amount of time. You've missed a lot :unsure:

Clyde has put out 246 different versions of GSAK, his software development manager threw him in the bit bucket and the drains started flowing the other direction down there. :lol:

Some people make changes on changes and nobody says thanks. I was introduced to GSAK by Rosco Bookbinder because of my older PPC. He used some pretty nice stuff in his and was going great but I just couldn't use it. GSAK does everything that I need and then some. I still work under the KISS method. ( Keep It Simple)[/b] Thanks again Clyde for all the hard work and "Dog House Dinners"

-=> The Ghost <=-

It has come to my attention that some users are not getting full benefit out of the GSAK help file.

When you click on the help button of any GSAK screen it will usually show an image of that dialog. Please note that this image has “hot spots” you can click on to get more information. For example, if you click on the help button for the “export to GPS” dialog, the help file will display with an image of this dialog. Move your mouse over this image, and the cursor should change to a hand with a pointing finger. This means you are now on a “hot spot” and can click for more information on this feature. Each dialog has various “hot spots” you can click on the get more information about that feature.

In addition to the help for the dialogs, GSAK also has an INDEX which contains many topics that are worth a read. Just click on the “Index” button of any help screen.

Finally you can do a full text search of the whole GSAK help file (which is now 12mb) looking for any word or phrase. Just click on the “Index” button on any help screen, and then click on the “Find” tab.

Cheers

Clyde

It has come to my attention that some users are not getting full benefit out of the GSAK help file.

Come on Clyde,

It's a lot more fun to ask you dumb stupid should have RTFM questions than to waste time doing that.

So how's life with the fleas and old crusty blanket? Read any good books lately?

dog.jpg

Actually you are right about the manual though. A lot of work has been put into it to make the program much easier to use. I for one should read more of it.

NAAAAAA... :unsure:

Edited by Rosco Bookbinder

Question: When I receive my PQ I usually have 100 caches, and I load them into GSAK, now is there a way I can select, or highlight just a few caches that I want to export to my ppc or GPS ?? I've tried filters, and distance, but I still get to many caches in the export file.

Thanks

Jim W

Question: When I receive my PQ I usually have 100 caches, and I load them into GSAK, now is there a way I can select, or highlight just a few caches that I want to export to my ppc or GPS ?? I've tried filters, and distance, but I still get to many caches in the export file.

Thanks

Jim W

Jim,

All you have to do is user flag the caches you want (check mark them) then set the filter in the user flag box at the bottom to set and hit the go again. That will leave only the ones you have flagged. Then upload or save to file to your hearts content. That's it...

This post edited because I wanted to. <_<

Edited by Rosco Bookbinder

Rosco Bookbinder, I understood what you said with no problem, as soon as I read your answer I opened GSAK, and it worked great. Ghost, said he read the Help File "Flag" feature, I used the help file and did a search yesterday but it came up with Filters, so I went back after reading Ghost's reply, and searched a little better and founds Flags. Both were very helpful, but I know I can always count on you for help, you spent hours helping me with the help file on GPXSonar...Keep up the good work.

Thanks again

Jim W

Edited by Jim W

just downloaded the latest version...looks cool

opened my most recent gpx file(received 09-02-04)

for some reason the "latest logs" aren't updating.it tells me the last update was on 14-01-04

searched this forum,couldn't find anything

checked the help file-basically says it will automatically update each time the program is started

any ideas on what i'm doing wrong?

Edit:closer inspection reveals that the only ones not updating are the ones i've found.

i'm guessing i need to find a checkbox somewhere to allow this?

Edited by fivegallon

for some reason the "latest logs" aren't updating.it tells me the last update was on 14-01-04

checked the help file-basically says it will automatically update each time the program is started

When you load the GPX file does the summary at the end indicate the database has updated any caches?

The only reason I can think of that the data would not be updated is if the date inside the gpx file you are loading is older than 14/01/04 and you have the "Newer Only" option selected. This could be the result of loading an old GPX file even though you THINK it is the most current from GC.com (or perhaps the date inside the GPX file has been changed by some utility or something)

To confirm this is the case, try doing the load again but this time select the "always" option and see what the summary box says after the load.

When you load the GPX file does the summary at the end indicate the database has updated any caches?

The only reason I can think of that the data would not be updated is if the date inside the gpx file you are loading is older than 14/01/04 and you have the "Newer Only" option selected. This could be the result of loading an old GPX file even though you THINK it is the most current from GC.com (or perhaps the date inside the GPX file has been changed by some utility or something)

To confirm this is the case, try doing the load again but this time select the "always" option and see what the summary box says after the load.

I did have the "newer only" checked.Changed this to always.

Reloaded the file.

Edit: Says it updated 228 of the caches.Counts shows 262 caches,26archived

It's still a case of all logs have updated,except for the ones i have found

The logs ARE updated where i have posted a DNF

Edited by fivegallon

Clyde,it's some internal date issue.Just opened some different ones in "watcher" and has the same problems.

I'm due new pq's today,so i'll clear out all the old ones i can find and start again.

Appreciate your help

Edit: Ok,i'm off to buy the "idiot" carton.An edit on my pq's will surely help!

Walks off hanging head in shame.....

Edited by fivegallon
When I load a gpx file the caches that start with "The" and save it out as a WPT file the "The" is not in the descriptions when loaded into Mapsend. It makes it hard to find them when looking for one thing and it's another...

I think you are referring to the "waypoint name" and not the description.

If you selected "Smart Name" for waypoint name generation then this is what I would expect. "Smart Name" uses it's own algorithm to generate the waypoint name. Because so many caches begin with "the" it drops this off to give a more meaningful smart name, especially when you have a limited number of characters for the waypoint - and especially true when sending to your GPS

Currently, all exports are limited to a choice between gc.com and "smart name" for the waypoint name. However, in the next version I am allowing for tags (similar to the description) to build your waypoint name. This will cater for users that prefer to build a waypoint name (like gpx spinner) that contains things like the cache type and container size. In your case you could then select the %name as your waypoint name and then it would EXACTLY match the cache name as shown in GSAK

When I load a gpx file the caches that start with "The" and save it out as a WPT file the "The" is not in the descriptions when loaded into Mapsend.  It makes it hard to find them when looking for one thing and it's another...

GPSBabel whacks leading "The" if you've selected smart name and it'll help the cache name fit in the limited waypoint space. Tossing "the" is only one of many things it does, including tossing vowels after the first, reducing whitespace, and, as a last ditch, appending numbers to keep the names readable, but unique."

Who's to blame? 

Blame me if you like...