GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Could you please zip up your database and email to me so I can see if I can replicate the problem.

If your database if called "MyStuff" and you installed GSAK to the default folder, then the folder to zip up and send would be "c:\program files\GSAK\data\MyStuff"

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure what this means. I don't know what is my "database." Do you mean the .gpx file I wanted to convert to .csv?

Clyde, I received your email before reading this, and in preparation of following your instructions I uninstalled GSAK from my system. Have I thus removed the data you need?

Jamie, I used GPSBabel to drop things into S&T frequently for the search along a route thing - I even put destructions at http://gpsbabel.sourceforge.net/formats/s_...Trips_2003.html

Robert, yes I am aware of that. In fact in the past I once successfully converted a .gpx for display on S&T. The problem was that it took me three or four tries to get it right (part of my problem was that I couldn't get S&T to recognize the file) and then when I did finally get it, I couldn't figure out what I did to get it to work since the next time I tried, I had problems again. I chalked it up to not-worth-the-time.

Jamie

just tried to load in my gpx files and got the following error message on the general tab:-

Application...

Start Date : 02/05/2004 19:24:34

Name/Description: gsak.exe

Version Number : 2.0.0.21

Exception...

Date : 02/05/2004 19:24:46

Address: 004E7F95

Module : gsak.exe

Type : EApolloError

Active Controls...

Form Class : Tufstatus

Form Text : D:\My Documents\helsby_dell_X5 My Documents\gpx files\rew-44001.gpx

Control Class: Tufstatus

Control Text : D:\My Documents\helsby_dell_X5 My Documents\gpx files\rew-44001.gpx

Computer...

Name : OEMPC001

Total Memory: 511 Mb

Free Memory : 211 Mb

Total Disk : 10 Gb

Free Disk : 4.91 Gb

Operating System...

Type : Microsoft Windows XP

Build # : 2600

Language: English (United Kingdom)

Not sure why.but apparently the error dump is being sent to you clyde.

Could you please zip up your database and email to me so I can see if I can replicate the problem.

If your database if called "MyStuff" and you installed GSAK to the default folder, then the folder to zip up and send would be "c:\program files\GSAK\data\MyStuff"

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure what this means. I don't know what is my "database." Do you mean the .gpx file I wanted to convert to .csv?

Clyde, I received your email before reading this, and in preparation of following your instructions I uninstalled GSAK from my system. Have I thus removed the data you need?

The term "database" in GSAK refers to all the files that in exist in a folder that has the same name as your "database". These folders exist in the "data" folder of the install folder of GSAK. They are NOT deleted when you uninstall or update GSAK.

For the time being, I would hold off sending me the database. Could you just have a go at the Beta 3 I sent you and let me know if that fixes the problem.

Windows 95/98/ME users - looking for testers

I don't want to jinx things, but hopefully I have some good news for you.

I have done some major changes to the code to make it use way less system and GDI resources. I have now successfully run GSAK in conjunction with Microsoft office (running word, excel and access) on a P133mhz with 32mb ram, running Windows 98 SE (not recomended though) I am hoping this will address the lock up and crashing problems for win95/98/ME users.

As some of the changes are quite drastic, I don't quite want to go public with this release yet. If you are a Win 95/98/ME user and would like to help test this version, please drop me an email (cwe at iinet dot net dot au) and I will send you the URL.

Clyde:

After reading through all of the postings I want to commend you on taking on a difficult project. Abe Lincoln the 16th President of these United States was once (supposedly) quoted "you can't please all the people, all the time.

Clyde, you are sure making the attempt and all of us should applaud your efforts!

CG

:ph34r:

Clyde:

After reading through all of the postings I want to commend you on taking on a difficult project.  Abe Lincoln the 16th President of these United States was once (supposedly) quoted "you can't please all the people, all the time.

Clyde, you are sure making the attempt and all of us should applaud your efforts!

CG

:P

What he said. :D

This tool is fantastic - thanks for your efforts Clyde - much appreciated by me (and I'm sure many others :ph34r: ) here in the UK.

... now if you can just integrate it with that other excellent piece of software CacheMate then I'll be close to Utopia :ph34r: .

... now if you can just integrate it with that other excellent piece of software CacheMate then I'll be close to Utopia

It's coming :rolleyes: . For more info on this see my post here

Hi Clyde.

I have been keeping track of the postings on the CacheMate subject. I'm sorry, I really should have worded my comment thus:-

'.. now when its integrated with that other excellent piece of software, CacheMate, then I'll be close to Utopia'.

BTW - I've just sent you a brief response on Beta 3.

Cheers for now

Every time I install another version, all the settings are lost, & it's the first time every time. Is there any way to save the user settings after an install?

I'm real curious as to what's happening here. I've been testing and trying all kinds of versions of the program trying this trying that and no matter what I've never lost any of my data. Is this happening while using the regular setup in default directory and such?

I'm sure Clyde will be by any time to clue you in or take your name, number, dogs age and number of any keys you have to help you. :P

Clyde, a minor annoyance. Every time I install another version, all the settings are lost, & it's the first time every time. Is there any way to save the user settings after an install?

This should not happen. As long as you install each version to the same folder, then all your settings will be preserved. I did have one user who thought the same thing but on closer inspection, he changed the name of the install folder slightly.

You might want to do as scan on your computer for the file gsak.exe If it turns up more than once, then it looks like you are installing to a different folder.

Having said all this If you really want to take a backup of all your GSAK settings, just save the file called GSAK.ini You will find this file in the installation folder of GSAK. At any time you can copy this GSAK.ini to the install folder of GSAK and all your settings will be restored to that snapshot.

Having said all this If you really want to take a backup of all your GSAK settings, just save the file called GSAK.ini You will find this file in the installation folder of GSAK. At any time you can copy this GSAK.ini to the install folder of GSAK and all your settings will be restored to that snapshot.

What I have found in the past is to make a copy of the current .ini file and keep the one I have renamed to .in-i Then if something goes bad you just delete the one named .ini and rename the .in-i to .ini and you are back in business.

Eye Eye :P

Hi Guys,

I have been getting quite a number of private emails asking for help with GSAK.

I do not mind providing this help (though it can be a bit frustrating when people do not read the help file first).

However, I would just ask that you direct most questions through the forum. That way, everyone sees this information and it may help others with a similar problem.

There will always be exceptions. Especially if you feel that no one else will benefit from your post, or I have initiated the dialog through email.

Please don’t get me wrong. It is good so many people are using GSAK and I wish to help in any way I can. I just feel more users would benefit if support questions are directed through the forum.

Cheers

Clyde

Just to confirm what others are saying.  GSAK will stop if I'm running other programs on my Win 98 second edition with 65M RAM.  I pretty much have to run it alone.  I'll try my laptop next.  It's got win 98 2nd edition but has 192M RAM.

I don't want to jinx things, but hopefully I have some good news on this.

I won't go into too much detail now, but I have done some major changes to the code to make it use way less system and GDI resources. I have now successfully run GSAK in conjunction with Microsoft office (running word, excel and access) on a P133mhz with 32mb ram, running Windows 98 SE (not recomended though) I am hoping this will address the problems with win95/98/ME users. As some of the changes are quite drastic, I don't quite want to go public with this release yet. If you fall into this category and would like to give this version a try, drop me an email and I will send you the URL

Also a question.  I just cannot figure how to delete a bunch of cache points.  I know I can right click and delete the point I am on.  But for the life of me, I can't figure out how to select a bunch of points and delete them??

This is where the user flag comes in handy.

1.First make sure all user flags are cleared User Flags=>Clear User flags

2.Click in the user flag box for all the caches you want to delete

3. Now set a filter on the "set" user flags

4. Now Cache=>Delete, and be sure to select the "All caches in Filter" option

You can also use any of the other selection criteria to set a filter and delete caches, but this is the best way if you want to select individual ones.

Just an update for others. I'm runnng Clydes latest Beta and my WIndows 98 resourse problem is gone. If anyone else is having problems running GSAK with other programs opened, you might want to get the latest from Clyde.

One side note, Clyde, about the delete. It's pretty convuluted to go through filters. Is there any way you can just have a Delete button that you click that simply deletes all checked caches?

Tks again

ALan

I've found a problem with Beta 2. I tried to import a GPX file created by BMGPX - it had a hissy fit over the lack of some field and then aborted the whole program. Something about it had to have a GCxxxx geo code.

Is there any work around for this?

Currently GSAK does not support bench mark GPX files. Support for GPX files created by BMGPX will be added in the next or future release.

Thanks again for the updates for win98 & ME. Startup seems to be much better now. I've tried to 'break' it the last couple days and it seems quite solid.

A question about the 'State' field though.

A number if mine indicate Nil or None in the State field.

All of the 'none' are locationless caches.

Most of the 'Nils' are caches I've found that are now archived but there are a few locationless caches here too.

Is there any way to edit the State field. I'd like to tag the archived ones with the actual states they were in and the locationless with the state I logged it in.

Not a big deal at all - just wondering.

Thanks

Marty

Is there any way to edit the State field. I'd like to tag the archived ones with the actual states they were in and the locationless with the state I logged it in.

Looks like updating/adding caches is rapidly moving to top priority in my "to do list" :P

A bit convoluted, but you can do this now if you really want.

1. Generate a filter of all the caches you want to change (perhaps by using the "user flag" for selecting required caches)

2. Export this filter to a GPX file

3. Open this GPX file in any ASCII text editor

4. Find the state data field and change to what ever you want, then save the file.

5. Load this GPX file back into GSAK

You could also change other cache information this way.

There is also another easier way to change just the state, but this method can only do global changes to the state. IE if you want to convert ALL caches that have a state = Nil, you could add an entry to the state abbreviation file (Tools=>State Abbreviations...) Add in your required conversion, e.g. Nil=Texas, then click on the "Full state to abbreviation" button.

Is there any way to edit the State field.  I'd like to tag the archived ones with the actual states they were in and the locationless with the state I logged it in.

Looks like updating/adding caches is rapidly moving to top priority in my "to do list" :P

A bit convoluted, but you can do this now if you really want.

1. Generate a filter of all the caches you want to change (perhaps by using the "user flag" for selecting required caches)

2. Export this filter to a GPX file

3. Open this GPX file in any ASCII text editor

4. Find the state data field and change to what ever you want, then save the file.

5. Load this GPX file back into GSAK

You could also change other cache information this way.

There is also another easier way to change just the state, but this method can only do global changes to the state. IE if you want to convert ALL caches that have a state = Nil, you could add an entry to the state abbreviation file (Tools=>State Abbreviations...) Add in your required conversion, e.g. Nil=Texas, then click on the "Full state to abbreviation" button.

That took care of it.

Had to manually edit as of the 50-60 I needed to edit most were in Illinois but several were in Idaho.

It went rather quick cutting/pasting.

Just an update for others. I'm runnng Clydes latest Beta and my WIndows 98 resourse problem is gone. If anyone else is having problems running GSAK with other programs opened, you might want to get the latest from Clyde.

One side note, Clyde, about the delete.  It's pretty convuluted to go through filters.  Is there any way you can just have a Delete button that you click that simply deletes all checked caches?

Alan

Spoke too soon. I'm still locking up (running win98SE with 65MB and 233M procesor) when I have too many programs running or slowing down to a crawl with intermittent operation depending on the program and what I want to do.

Alan

One side note, Clyde, about the delete.  It's pretty convuluted to go through filters.  Is there any way you can just have a Delete button that you click that simply deletes all checked caches?

Alan

Spoke too soon. I'm still locking up (running win98SE with 65MB and 233M procesor) when I have too many programs running or slowing down to a crawl with intermittent operation depending on the program and what I want to do.

Alan

65mb and many open programs, no matter what they are at this point, sounds like a near fatal combination.

Sounds like you really need some more memory more than anything.

I loaded the most recent beta and it seems to have resolved the occasional startup problems I'd experienced running Win ME. I have 512mb on this system though so memory was not an issue.

The feedback I have been getting from win98/ME users is that Beta 3 is much better on these systems. I doubt, no matter what I do it will ever fix EVERY problem on these systems. It is a simple fact that they are inherently buggy when running multiple applications.

In a previous post, I mentioned I that I did not want to spend a lot of time on this. I have already spent way too much already. (At the cost of adding new features for 2K/XP users).

I will now move on, and release 2.00 final in the next couple of days.

Hopefully, I can then get back on track (programming the next release) and start adding new features that many users have been requesting.

Cheers

Clyde

65mb and many open programs, no matter what they are at this point, sounds like a near fatal combination.

Sounds like you really need some more memory more than anything.

No more room - 65 is it! So I'm just keep the programs running that I need at the time.

Clyde: I understand there's a limit and the last fix took care of most of the problems - just have to run fewer programs as I mentioned. Thanks Great program.

Alan

Edited by Alan2
just tried to load in my gpx files and got the following error message on the general tab:-

Does this always happen with this GPX file?

Can you send me a copy of the GPX file so I can see if I can replicate the problem?

yes - gpx is on its way. Also it looks like the email never gets sent to you either Clyde. I'm running The Bat as my mail client, it asks me to select an account but then I don't think it ever sends/saves/composes the email.

Can you send me a copy of the GPX file so I can see if I can replicate the problem?

yes - gpx is on its way. Also it looks like the email never gets sent to you either Clyde. I'm running The Bat as my mail client, it asks me to select an account but then I don't think it ever sends/saves/composes the email.

Thanks for the GPX file.

The GPX file you sent me is corrupt. Watcher and EasyGps also confirm this with varying error messages.

It looks like the file may have been updated with some other utility?

If you continually receive this file directly from geocaching.com and get this error (without making ANY changes), then I suggest you send a copy to them asking why/how it is corrupt.

If this is the ONLY file it has ever happened on then perhaps it is just a one off glitch with your email.

If you continually receive this file directly from geocaching.com and get this error (without making ANY changes), then I suggest you send a copy to them asking why/how it is corrupt.

I was having some bad files come through from GC one time and it was suggested that I kill the query and start a new one. It fixed my problem on the next download. Of course we can't prove that's what did it......

Clyde,

I have found a "feature" in GSAK that doen't quite tell the true story. If you have a found cache then it gets archived (not available) it takes it out of the "your finds" count box and counts it in the archived box. Is there a way to still read one that's archived and your find to keep the tally boxes correct? Not that major but when I see my stats on GC and they don't match GSAK I get to wondering till I get it all figured out......

Thanks

I have found a "feature" in GSAK that doen't quite tell the true story. If you have a found cache then it gets archived (not available) it takes it out of the "your finds" count box and counts it in the archived box. Is there a way to still read one that's archived and your find to keep the tally boxes correct? Not that major but when I see my stats on GC and they don't match GSAK I get to wondering till I get it all figured out......

Hmmm, this one needs further investigation. I do not see this behaviour here.

I have loaded caches that have been flagged by gc.com as "unavailable" but all the caches that are "unavailable" and I have found show up in my found count.

Just to make sure I have this right. You are saying that caches sent from gc.com that you have found but now are now "unavailable" are not being included in your found count?

I could understand this if you download a LOC file and manually mark it as archived. LOC files do NOT contain the found status, and hence would not show up as a find (you would need to set the found status manually in GSAK)

I have found a "feature" in GSAK that doen't quite tell the true story.  If you have a found cache then it gets archived (not available) it takes it out of the "your finds" count box and counts it in the archived box.  Is there a way to still read one that's archived and your find to keep the tally boxes correct?  Not that major but when I see my stats on GC and they don't match GSAK I get to wondering till I get it all figured out......

Hmmm, this one needs further investigation. I do not see this behaviour here.

I have loaded caches that have been flagged by gc.com as "unavailable" but all the caches that are "unavailable" and I have found show up in my found count.

Just to make sure I have this right. You are saying that caches sent from gc.com that you have found but now are now "unavailable" are not being included in your found count?

I could understand this if you download a LOC file and manually mark it as archived. LOC files do NOT contain the found status, and hence would not show up as a find (you would need to set the found status manually in GSAK)

Just went back over the list. There is one cache that I just did yesterday. Logged it and told the owner that the log inside the cache was all wet. The owner went onto GC and put a temp unavailable. I got a list from GC today and that cache is showing unavailble. That one plus two others I have found that are unavailable are not showing in my total. I have 85 finds (actually 86 as of today but that one doesn't show yet in the file), the total on the bottom shows 83. If I count the ones that I found that have been archived (unavailable) the total would be 85 just as it should.

BTW, I pull a query that includes everything then I filter it in GSAK. One file, lots of filtering and it works great!!!

Gee I hope that all makes sence.. :lol:

Edited by Rosco Bookbinder
Just went back over the list. There is one cache that I just did yesterday. Logged it and told the owner that the log inside the cache was all wet. The owner went onto GC and put a temp unavailable. I got a list from GC today and that cache is showing unavailble. That one plus two others I have found that are unavailable are not showing in my total. I have 85 finds (actually 86 as of today but that one doesn't show yet in the file), the total on the bottom shows 83. If I count the ones that I found that have been archived (unavailable) the total would be 85 just as it should.

It looks to me like the problem lies with your GPX file from gc.com - they just don't show those caches as found, hence neither does GSAK . Interrogate the source GPX file (with any text viewer) to confirm.

If unsure how to do this, then just send your GPX file to me and I will take a look. (Be sure to let me know the caches you are having the issues with)

I can understand the latest cache, because the found status may not have made it into your GPX download just yet - but the other two need checking. (perhaps they are web cam caches - for some reason gc.com do not send down the found flag for web cam caches even though you have logged a find, although GSAK has a special way of handling these if you select the correct option)

Clyde,

Ok here is an update for you. If I do a filter to show only the archive ones, it shows the 18 files in the list and 18 in the archived box at the bottom. It also shows 16 not found and 2 found. That is all correct. BUT, when I load the whole file then that's when the problems come up. It then shows the 18 archived in the box at the bottom, but only 83 found which is the two short that are archived. So it's not picking up that I found them along with being archived.

How's that??

Clyde,

Ok here is an update for you. If I do a filter to show only the archive ones, it shows the 18 files in the list and 18 in the archived box at the bottom. It also shows 16 not found and 2 found. That is all correct. BUT, when I load the whole file then that's when the problems come up. It then shows the 18 archived in the box at the bottom, but only 83 found which is the two short that are archived. So it's not picking up that I found them along with being archived.

How's that??

Sorry, Still doesn't seem to make sense.

I think the best way it to send me your GPX file and then hopefully I can get to the bottom of it.

I think the best way it to send me your GPX file and then hopefully I can get to the bottom of it.

Following on ....

You are assuming because your count is 2 short it must be the 2 "unavailable" ones.

I think this is just a red herring.

Your total count is short by 2 becuase there are 2 caches you have found that are NOT being flagged in your GPX file from gc.com . The most logica explanation for this is web cam caches (see my previous post)

Shouldn't every revision have its own number? 2.00, 2.01, 2.02, etc

It's confusing to see 2.00 beta 1, 2.00 beta 2, etc.

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet "

If I download the highest numbered version, it should be the most recent one. There shouldn't be 2 or 3 versions with the same number.

Following on ....

You are assuming because your count is 2 short it must be the 2 "unavailable" ones.

I think this is just a red herring.

Your total count is short by 2 becuase there are 2 caches you have found that are NOT being flagged in your GPX file from gc.com . The most logica explanation for this is web cam caches (see my previous post)

They are in my list Clyde. I pull EVERYTHING within 50 miles of my house (I haven't cached further than that yet). That includes the active, not active and so on. The archived ones are in my list.

I'm still working on this list and will get a fresh one tomorrow. I'll get back to you and see what my new tests show......

Shouldn't every revision have its own number? 2.00, 2.01, 2.02, etc

It's confusing to see 2.00 beta 1, 2.00 beta 2, etc.

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet "

If I download the highest numbered version, it should be the most recent one. There shouldn't be 2 or 3 versions with the same number.

Well, yes they are higher. IE 2.00 Beta 2 is higher than 2.00 Beta 1

This is clearly shown at start up and in the top left of the main screen

What a can of worms, there is more…

There are also 2 other scenarios where your found count in GSAK will not match the geocaching.com count.

1 – Logging your own placed cache as found.

GSAK will never count a cache you place as found. If you log a find on a cache you have placed (I wish gc.com would not allow this) then the geocaching.com found count will be higher than the GSAK found count.

2 – Permanently archived cache you have found

Let’s say you are a geocacher that has found 50 caches in the last year. During this time 3 become permanently archived. Today, you get a GPX file from geocaching.com and load it into GSAK. GSAK shows 47 found but your gc.com count is 50. The reason being that geocaching.com currently do NOT send permanently archived caches (they only just started sending of temporary ones)

If you started using GSAK from day 1 of your caching career, then this is not a problem. However, to fix this discrepancy, just download the Permanently archived caches you have found manually (ie as loc files). Now load them into GSAK, and finally be sure to manually set them to found in GSAK. Your found count will now equal the geocaching.com found count.

GPSax, higher version numbers, like 2.1, 2.2, etc usually indicate formally released versions. What Clyde is releasing in this case is a beta, which is not the same as a formal release, thus the numbers will be different. I'll bet if he releases a formal update to a version, it will have its own number, depending on why the release is done and the degree of change. Don't get wrapped around the axle with beta numbers - this is the way it's normally done, and prevents confusing the rest of us.

I'm sorry, I must be missing something here. Can sombody please tell me how to manually set a cache in the gsak database as found? Thank you!

Firstly you must configure GSAK to enable this facility. Tools=>Options then check the box "Manual update of cache found status"

Then just click on the Found box of any cache you want to flag as found.

Note: if you click in the found box of a cache that is already marked as found, you will set it to not found. IE clicking in the box toggles the check mark on and off.

Edited by ClydeE
What's the point of flagging as found rather than "deleting" ?

Alan

Alan, I don't quite understand your question.

Flagging a cache as found is usually something one would do when you have found a cache but this is not reflected in the GSAK database. This often happens when you import LOC files or non geocaching.com GPX files. The GPX files from geocaching.com contain this flag so there is usually no need to set the found status manually, but of course there are always exceptions.

I think I found a small problem. Since I am using a 60C, I have to Export my GPX file to Mapsource and then upload it to the GPS from there. When I did this, GSAK exported the actual NAMES of the caches instead of the Waypoint names. Instead of getting GCHK13 for example, it shows up as "Chicad". Is there a way around this?