GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Is there a way (or will there be) to select multiple caches at the same time?

You are correct; this cannot be done at the moment. I will have a look at this and see what I can come up with.

My experimenting with GSAK on a Mac has been frustrating. But it does not appear to be the fault of the programmer(s) of GSAK.

Sorry to hear you are having problems with communication to your GPSr - but I am glad to know it's not a fault with GSAK. BTW there is only 1 programmer on GSAK. I am just a humble geocacher from Australia who gets to work on this in my spare time.

Can I throw in my request for Microsoft Streets & Trips waypoints?

Certainly. That's exactly what I want to know from GSAK users.

Any plans to incorporate some of the same features for Fugawi as you have for Ozi? I can't imagine why you decided on Ozi...

GSAK (then geo2ozi) was actually born just because I wanted to be able to show the cache online from within OziExplorer. It just sort of snow balled from there. Ozi provides a DLL which enables GSAK to hook into it under the covers to get this tight integration - I'm not sure if Fugawi has a similar DLL.

Anyway, as I don't own a copy of Fugawi, the short answer to your question is "currently no". However, I will never say never, and if I get enough requests for this I will review.

Cheers

Clyde

Edited by ClydeE

Let me add my "Me too!"

At first, I thought I'll probably never use this as I figured I had a handle on GPSBabel. Unfortunately, I run into more parsing errors with that than I care to deal with.

So off I go to open up GSAK which turns out to be very adept at exporting to Magellan's protocol and now it makes my Plucker more useful with an ability to transform notes into lightweight html. Now I can clear out my Outlook Notes with a one size fits all tool.

Thank you for the time and effort you put into this tool. I'll be clearing my desktop of the others now.

Anyway, as I don't own a copy of Fugawi, the short answer to your question is "currently no". However, I will never say never, and if I get enough requests for this I will review.

Seeing as how you're using GPSBabel under the hood I imagine you'll eventually be able to export to the same formats it does. Fugawi imports GPX files converted by GPSBabel to .txt or can directly import the LOC files generated by Pocket Queries or from the search pages on Geocaching.com.

Anyways add me to the list of people requesting Fugawi and Steets&Trips waypoints.

Thank you for this great software. It still amazes me that there is such quality software made available for free to our community.

Version 1.02 Beta 2 is now ready to download

There are a lot of minor interface changes for this beta but the biggest change is the comprehensive update of the help file. There is now a table of contents and all major dialog boxes have help buttons that bring up screen shots with hot spots. A HUGE thanks to Dave of “Dak’s Emu Mob” for his help with this (and other suggestions regarding layout and spelling/grammar)

Other Changes:

Fixed bug > '1.0-8859-1' is not a valid floating point value

Fixed crash it you selected an option from the “Cache” menu with an empty database

User flag now exported in GPX file.

GSAK now correctly shows Locationless, letter box, and CITO caches.

Html Location index coordinates now checked for validity

Quick search not cleared when zero caches found

Delete key now works correctly in quick search

Fixed problem with HTML index descriptions being truncated to 40 characters

Fixed bug where split screen would still show the last cache when a new empty database was opened/created

Fixed quirk when updating user flags and filter was set on user flags

All dialog boxes can now be cancelled using the Escape key

Mapsend description now truncated to 30 characters for compatibility with MapSend software.

Fixed bug > '1.0-8859-1' is not a valid floating point value

Finally tracked this one down. I have just found out there are two different formats for the LOC files from geocaching.com. One format is when you select to download LOC files after a search; the other is when you download a single cache from the main cache page. GSAK comes up with an error when you try to load the latter. This is now fixed

User flag now exported in GPX file.

GSAK now exports the status of the user flag to the GPX file. This means you can now use the export to GPX to create an EXACT backup of any database. Other software will just ignore this data in the GPX file.

Quick search not cleared when zero caches found.

Previously, when you entered a search phrase in the quick search field that was not found, GSAK would clear the search field (after showing a message telling you there were no caches in this search). This behaviour has changed, enabling you to edit the offending search.

Delete key now works correctly in quick search.

Pressing the delete key ANYWHERE would result in a dialog showing asking if you wanted to delete the current cache. This should only happen when you are working with grid – not while you are in the quick search field.

Fixed quirk when updating user flags and filter was set on user flags

If you had a filter set using the user flag field and then changed the status of a user flag, the corresponding cache would still remain in view on the screen. This has now been fixed.

Download here http://gsak.geocaching.com.au

Cheers

Clyde

Hello Clyde,

Coming back to take another look today. I think I had a 1.00 beta on system.

Getting a message that the version has expired. Downloaded the current final version and reinstalled and still getting message.

Uninstalled - reinstalled - still getting message on startup.

Any ideas - anyone?

Thanks

Coming back to take another look today. I think I had a 1.00 beta on system.

Getting a message that the version has expired. Downloaded the current final version and reinstalled and still getting message.

Uninstalled - reinstalled - still getting message on startup.

Hmmm, strange.

It could be the old version is not being overriden by the new version. After doing an un install, completely remove the installation folder (default is c:\program files\gsak Then try again (making sure what you are trying to install is in fact the latest version)

If this still doesn't work, drop me an email and I will see what else we can try.

GSAK version 1.02 final is now ready to download. 1.02 is quite stable now, with just a few bug fixes since the last Beta.

Bugs fixed since last Beta:

Fixed cursor movement problem when updating found or user flag. (only when a filter was set)

Fixed problem with Web cam caches not updating the last found date, and Last 4 logs icon.

Fixed bug where after deleting a cache, the current sort sequence would be lost.

You can download here http://gsak.geocaching.com.au

The next version GSAK is well underway and a Beta should be ready in about a week. A sneak preview of some of the features being added to the next version:

1. Direct upload of waypoints to your GPSr

2. Support for new formats. These will include Garmin MapSource, Street Atlas, Fugawi, Pocket Streets (PSP), Microsoft Streets and Trips.

3. Icons updated to match geocaching.com

4. Ability to set corrected coordinates.

A few other changes as well but not sure if all of these will make it for that release. Stay tuned …..

Cheers

Clyde

Version 2.00 Beta 1 is now ready.

Version 2.00 rounds out GSAK by introducing the often requested feature of directly sending waypoints to your GPS (Using GPSBabel "Under the Hood" for this - many thanks to Robert Lipe). Other new features are also included, and the 2.00 version number better indicates the progress made since the first release of GSAK.

Changes this version:

Direct upload of waypoints to GPS

New Export formats

• Mapsource
  • Fugawi
  • Street Atlas
  • Pocket Streets
  • Microsoft Streets & Trips
  • Magellan Protocol (SD card)

Ability to add "Corrected Coordinates"

Ability to now filter on Cache Type, Container, and gc.com owner ID #.

Ability to delete multiple caches (that is, by filter).

All icons and images updated to match geocaching.com

Enhanced filter saving.

Customise cache description for offline HTML pages.

Added %code (gc.com ID) and %name (GSAK smart name) to cache description tags

Added selection of default state abbreviations for Australia and USA

Ability to Cancel configuration changes

Fixed sorting quirk when deleting caches and current sort is descending

Fixed problem where some user notes would cause the "Invalid variant type conversion" error

The help file has been updated but some sections are still work in progress. The completed help file will be included in the 2.00 Final release.

Download here http://gsak.geocaching.com.au

Cheers

Clyde

Does anyone know if its possible to have the program installed on the primary c:\ drive and have the database located on a secondary drive? I have a USB memory stick that I use to store all of my geocaching data on. This way I can install the program on my main desktop and also on my laptop and use the USB memory stick to access my data on either system.

Does anyone know if its possible to have the program installed on the primary c:\ drive and have the database located on a secondary drive?

No, Currently the data folder is fixed.

However, it shouldn't be too hard to add an option in the configuration to allow this.

I'll look at adding this in Beta 2

Cheers

Clyde

Well, I had limited success. I exported the GPX file to the USB memory drive and then imported it on the other computer. Since the notes and flags were included with the GPX, everything seemed to come over fine. Of course the home location as well as any saved filters did not move over. I also noticed that a few caches that I had manually marked as found did not come over as found either.

I then added a note to a cache on the second computer and re-exported it to the USB drive. After importing it to the original computer I noticed that my note that I had added did not make the trip over.

It will get me by until beta 2 comes out.

Thanks for the quick reply ClydeE.

[

Well I also noticed that a few caches that I had manually marked as found did not come over as found either.

Hmmm. They should.

I suspect the last update date for these caches is the SAME as the date of the GPX file. When you load the GPX file you probably have the option set to "newer only". Because this GPX file is not newer that the date last updated, nothing gets updated. In this case select the "Always" option and try again.

I then added a note to a cache on the second computer and re-exported it to the USB drive.  After importing it to the original computer I noticed that my note that I had added did not make the trip over.

Again it should, but the same reasoning holds true for the notes. Change the option to always and it should work

Edited by ClydeE
Of course the home location as well as any saved filters did not move over

If you would like to migrate these to another computer then copy the files "GSAK.ini" and "filter.cds" from the installation folder of GSAK (source computer) to the installation folder of GSAK of your destination computer.

Does anyone know if its possible to have the program installed on the primary c:\ drive and have the database located on a secondary drive?

No, Currently the data folder is fixed.

However, it shouldn't be too hard to add an option in the configuration to allow this.

I'll look at adding this in Beta 2

I have had a chance to look at this. Unfortunately there is more to it than meets the eye.

The beta versions are really more about fixing bugs and quirks to get the program stable. So rather than introduce a new feature at this stage that has the potential to open up its own tree of bugs/quirks I think this one is best left for the next release.

Cheers

Clyde

Would it be possible to do a text search on the entire text contents of the database?

Currently no.

However this is on my "to do list" and comes under the heading of special searches or filters. Other filters to be included in this category are arc filters, line filters, and post code filters.

BTW I know I should ask this in another thread, but does anyone know where I can get a complete list of USA zip codes and corresponding coordinates?

Thanks

Clyde

Clyde:

I have the latest Beta version of GSAK and when I generate a Mapsource file of Geocaches GSAK freezes, (the red bar scale goes left to right then another smaller screen flashes to fast to read and the program locks with the 'export file' screen still up) can you tell me what I'm doing wrong, I have 1300+ waypoints is that too many?

Thanks

Dan

I have the latest Beta version of GSAK and when I generate a Mapsource file of Geocaches GSAK freezes, (the red bar scale goes left to right then another smaller screen flashes to fast to read and the program locks with the 'export file' screen still up) can you tell me what I'm doing wrong, I have 1300+ waypoints is that too many?

Hmmm. Haven't seen this one before.

Can you zip up the database that is causing the error and send it to me. That way I should be able to reproduce the error and see what is going on.

If the database name is "default" then the folder to zip up (assuming you installed gsak to the default folder) is:

"c:\program files\GSAK\data\default"

Thanks

Clyde

Clyde, excellent program. I just started messing around with it and really like it.

In the future is there any plans on being able to download from your GPS? and how about doing a sync to your PDA?

I'm sure as I play with it I will have more questions and/or suggestions.

Thanks again

NJLOAD

Hmmm. Haven't seen this one before.

Can you zip up the database that is causing the error and send it to me. That way I should be able to reproduce the error and see what is going on.

If the database name is "default" then the folder to zip up (assuming you installed gsak to the default folder) is:

"c:\program files\GSAK\data\default"

Thanks

Clyde

Thanks for the database.

I have tried this on 3 different computers (Win 98, Win2K, WinXp) and none

of them lock up.

Sounds like it maybe something specific to your computer, but I'm not sure

what.

Perhaps you are exporting to a memory stick or something and running out of

disk space?

Does it work for you on a smaller export (set a filter to limit the number

of caches)

Any other information you can give me?

Can you try this on another computer?

In the future is there any plans on being able to download from your GPS? and how about doing a sync to your PDA?

Downloading waypoints from the GPS is another on my "to do list" ( I hope I live long enough to complete the full list :) ). This one comes under the banner of being able to add your own waypoints to the database - any type (eg benchmarks) not just geocaching ones.

As for the "sync to your PDA", I'm not quite sure what you are asking for here. Can you please elaborate?

Clyde:

I tried the same thing at home, where I have the same data set of caches, and it worked perfectly.

I guess that teaches me to not slack off at work.

I have Windows 98 on a ~ 400 Mhz at work and XP on a 1.2 Ghz P4 at home.

Thanks for your help, I'll let you know if I figure out the problem. I suspect it is the machine; it has eaten a floppy drive, a Cd drive, a hard drive and a power supply in the last 3 months.

Dan

As for the "sync to your PDA", I'm not quite sure what you are asking for here. Can you please elaborate?

Yes, how about a way to export from GSAK say to CachMate or any other PDA geocaching program. This would make GSAK the ultimate and only desktop program for GeoCaching.

Yes, how about a way to export from GSAK say to CachMate or any other PDA geocaching program. This would make GSAK the ultimate and only desktop program for GeoCaching.

Ok, then yes, this can be done.

Providing of course that the authors of these PDA applications are willing to divulge the file format and it is not proprietary.

Great program! I've just started using it and like it very much. I do have a question though. After I get my pocket query and open it with GSAK, the listing of waypoints added and updated says at the bottom "1 Ignored because in permanent delete list". Where is that list and how do I unignore it?

Thanks for the great free program. Must have taken you a while.

I do have a question though. After I get my pocket query and open it with GSAK, the listing of waypoints added and updated says at the bottom "1 Ignored because in permanent delete list". Where is that list and how do I unignore it?

Thanks for the great free program. Must have taken you a while.

When you delete a cache out of the GSAK database, you have the option to permanently ignore this cache on all future GPX loads.

You can maintain this list from the menu via Database=>Maintain Permanent Delete List

Clyde, Maeglin, the author of CacheMate, is on the forum regularly. He has a program to convert .gpx files to his format, but he may be willing to share the file format with you. You will need to learn about Palm databases, and it may be more trouble than you want to go to, but a direct export to Cachemate would save us a step in getting the info on our Palms. No way I'm going caching without my Palm and all the cache pages loaded.

Clyde, Maeglin, the author of CacheMate, is on the forum regularly. He has a program to convert .gpx files to his format, but he may be willing to share the file format with you. You will need to learn about Palm databases, and it may be more trouble than you want to go to, but a direct export to Cachemate would save us a step in getting the info on our Palms. No way I'm going caching without my Palm and all the cache pages loaded.

Thanks Stan.

I did have a quick look at this one. There is also a command line utility for doing this conversion, so in theory I could do a "under the hood" conversion like with GPSBabel.

You are also correct about having to lean about Palm databases - unfortunately I know very little about the palm as I have gone down the Pocket PC route (don't start with the arguments ;) ). So in that respect palm users are a little disadvantaged when asking for updates to GSAK. However I won't be ignoring them.

I'm not sure where this fits in my priority of "list of things to do" but it will be added. :)

You are also correct about having to lean about Palm databases - unfortunately I know very little about the palm as I have gone down the Pocket PC route (don't start with the arguments ;) ).

Maeglin once indicated that he develops PPC apps professionally, but prefers to do his personal stuff on Palm. Read into that what you will.

No arguments from me. ;) I'm not religious about it, they both do the job well enough, I guess, it's just that I have a Palm and lots of time and software invested in it, so I ain't gonna switch. If you can use his command-line utility under the hood, you may not need to know about Palm databases after all.

Question: I downloaded a GPX, file including my own cache site. It does not show up in the totals column as me being the owner. How do I change this? I have seen where you can manually change the cache to found and I know you can toggle cache archive status but nothing on changing ownership to yourself.

Is there a way to manually insert your own information? If not in future releases will this be possible?

Thanks for the great program.

NJLOAD

Question: I downloaded a GPX, file including my own cache site. It does not show up in the totals column as me being the owner. How do I change this? I have seen where you can manually change the cache to found and I know you can toggle cache archive status but nothing on changing ownership to yourself.

Is there a way to manually insert your own information? If not in future releases will this be possible?

Thanks for the great program.

NJLOAD

Have a look at the bottom left at the Configuation Options screen (under the Tools/Options menu). Here you'll find a box to input your user name.

Edited by Motley Crew

I've been out of caching for about a year and am now getting back into it. GASK looks like a good tool to be able to utilize so I downloaded and installed it. Now I have questions... sorry if these have been asked already.

I've loaded seven caches into GASK thus far. To do this I saved each individually as a .loc file, imported it into GASK, and then went on to the next one. None of these show up as "found" in the "LG" column".

Is there a way to import all of the caches I want as one GPX file or what is the best way to accomplish getting my caches (found and those I'm still seeking) into GASK?

The "Placed" date on all of them shows as today's date and I haven't found a way to edit that info so it is accurate in GASK. Also no "Last Log" info was imported. The cache type column is all question marks.

Do I have to have OziExplorer installed in order for GASK to function properly?

Sorry for all of the newbie questions.

Edited by CheesyD
I've been out of caching for about a year and am now getting back into it. GASK looks like a good tool to be able to utilize so I downloaded and installed it. Now I have questions... sorry if these have been asked already.

I've loaded seven caches into GASK thus far. To do this I saved each individually as a .loc file, imported it into GASK, and then went on to the next one. None of these show up as "found" in the "LG" column".

Is there a way to import all of the caches I want as one GPX file or what is the best way to accomplish getting my caches (found and those I'm still seeking) into GASK?

The "Placed" date on all of them shows as today's date and I haven't found a way to edit that info so it is accurate in GASK. Also no "Last Log" info was imported. The cache type column is all question marks.

Do I have to have OziExplorer installed in order for GASK to function properly?

Sorry for all of the newbie questions.

LOC files don't contain all the info you require. You need to download a pocket query from Geocaching.com and you need to be a premium member to do so.