Poll: What Do You Use?

What do you use as your:

1) GPS? PDA, Garmin, Magellan...

2) Cache notes? Paper, PDA (which one)...

3) Do you plan to upgrade in the next 6 months and if so, to what and why?

My answers:

1) Garmin GPS V

2) Paper

3) Thats why I'm posting this :ph34r: I'm trying to decide what to upgrade to for auto-navigation/caching unit. The 16MB of the V is just so prohibitive...

What do you use as your:

1) GPS?  PDA, Garmin, Magellan...

2) Cache notes?  Paper, PDA (which one)...

GPS: Garmin Rino 120

Garmin GPS-V

PDA: Sony Clie S360

Cache Notes on my Laptop and the PDA, I also tend to take paper cache pages with me on a clipboard. Having a clipboard seems to make people think you belong in the area!

I just upgraded to the GPS-V so unless Santa brings me a new 60CS I don't see any reason to upgrade now.

Edited by Right Wing Wacko
What do you use as your:

My answers:

1) Garmin GPS V

2) Paper

3) Thats why I'm posting this :ph34r: I'm trying to decide what to upgrade to for auto-navigation/caching unit. The 16MB of the V is just so prohibitive...

Magellan MAP 330

Palm IIIc with CacheMate (paperless)

& Delorme Street Atlas 2004 Handheld (autorouting)

No plans to upgrade (broke)

If I had the money I would like to have Garmin iQue 3600 (Or something comparable that doesn't exist yet) to have 1 complete package BUT with longer battery life!

What do you use as your:

1) GPS V, 76S, GPS 315, Palm m130

2) Whichever I end up using at the moment.

3) Garmin 60CS, but only if there is money (MONEY - Something that dries up faster than paint).

1) GPS: Magellan Sportrak Map PDA: Sony Clie PEG SL-22

2) Cache Notes: Hmmm well, I'm waffling between Spinner/Plucker and CacheMate. They both have their advantages. Used to use MobiPocket but I find the above alot easier.

3) Upgrade: Yup. After 3 months I find the Sportrak doesn't have the space I need (sigh, too many caches around here!) I'm wishing for a GPSMAP 60C if the taxman doesn't grab all the cash.

My wife and I are just getting started in geocaching and this forum looks like the place to start.

In answer to the poll:

1. Garmin iQue 3600 with 128 SD card.

2. Notes kept on the integrated PDA

3. I intend to upgrade my SD card to a Panasonic 512 and add an external battery source to recharge the iQue's meager internal battery for hiking.

Note: For auto navigation, I could not be happer with the performance of the iQue 3600 with its auto nav kit. The only downside comes from the fact that the Mapsource maps are extremely innacurate here in NW Florida. The detailed map shows my driveway being about 300 yards north of where it actually is. While using the iQue/Mapsource in California a month ago I found the maps to be extremely accurate.

GPS is Palm m515 w/ Magelan GPS Companion

PDA is Palm m515 and m125(USB sync broken)

Plans to upgrade include gettting "regular" GPSr unit and using my old m125 as my caching PDA exclusively. I am coming to dread caching anything but the simplest of difficulty ratings as I don't want to ruin my new m515!

:ph34r: Magellan Meridian Platinum in the Car and truck.

Megellan Meridian Color on the boat.

Garmin MAP76S for Plane rides with friends (Notice I said riding,not piloting).

The Platinum and the Map76S tie for Geocaching, except the Platinum has a tougher case and shows less wear and tear if dropped.

I own many GPS,s (9 in all) and this is what I have found works for me.

All the others including my laptop will work, but has something that makes me use the others I stated for a given pupose.

My most useless GPS is my etrex yellow.

Edited by rockyriver

Garmin eTrex Legend and/or Radio Shack Digitraveler, with a Palm Zire 71 running Mapopolis. No paper. I carry a small pad of Post-it notes in case I want to leave a note in a cache, but I have no other use for paper. My Palm has everything I need to know about every cache within 100 miles of my home, or for other locations if I need them.

1. In the car, I use the Garmin iQue. With the Garmin car nav kit bolted into the car, and with an external antenna on the car roof, it works very well.

When leaving the car, to search for the cache, I use my eTrex Vista, since it's by far more durable in the terrain. If necessary, I do bring the iQue to the cache site, so that I can carry the notes and hints with me.

2. Since the iQue is a PDA as well, I use that for notes, and sometimes also to carry some photographic hint (Resco View) for the cache.

Before I had the iQue, I used my old Palm V for this purpose.

3. Just added the iQue to the gadget list, so...

What do you use as your:

1. Garmin eTrex Legend, closing in on 100 finds with this flawless performer!

2. Paperless for the most part, I usually only print the pages out if it's a complicated multi and needs calculations/clues done. My first PDA was an old Palm m105 that I paid a whopping 9 bucks for, and it worked great with the gpx2html/Plucker combo! I recently upgraded to a Tungsten T (also used) which gave me color, more memory, etc., and I've been using CacheMate as well. I like using the PDA for hints and clues that may be in previous logs! (I can also use it to create a quick voice memo at the cache to record the trade items!)

For in-car navigation I have a HP laptop running DeLorme Street Atlas with the eTrex connected via serial cable. I love the voice nav capability of Street Atlas! I can use Utopia to create map objects from my GPX files and import them into Street Atlas, then use the routing capability to plan the trip. Once I drive as close as I can to the cache location I unhook the eTrex and hoof it in to the treasure. It's not perfect, but it's pretty close! I have a Bluetooth dongle for the laptop so it can talk to the PDA, right now that's mostly used for hot syncing, but it's the perfect segue to...

3. My next upgrade will be a Bluetooth GPS unit that can talk directly to the tungsten and laptop without cables. I don't think it will replace the eTrex, and I don't think the PDA will totally replace the laptop, but I'm eager to do some experimenting!

Marty

SportTrak Map Pro (more memory yet smaller-and cheaper- than Meridian)

Palm IIIc- use gpx2html/plucker to upload caches into PDA; much easier than carrying all those papers around.

Not looking to upgrade soon but one never knows..

GPSBabel along with Mapsend Topo are also essentials when planning trips or cache hunts. I can plan a route in Mapsend, convert that route in GPSBabel and then filter my gpx files so that only those caches along the route will be included in both my PDA and my GPS unit. Now I do not have to carry around 500 waypoints when I am opnly interested in the 50 close to the route.

Life is good but I am alwyas looking for improvements. :D

I have a palm m515 and the Magellan GPS Companion. This is a bit of a woop deee doooo setup at first but add some apps and you are ready to go.

For the Palm:

Cache Mate $7, thi program is a gpx file reader for the palm. it talks to your gps for figuring out which caches are closest to your current location, bearing and distance... etc You can sort your caches out into catagories read others log entries, hints are decryptable, and you can record you log there so you dont forget what you took/left etc... VERY USEFULL APP for the palm

Nav Campanion Free w/GPS basic gps appp for the palm and GPS Companion. It works well enough but the most GLARING missing features are UTM, a digital compass with the sun(like they have on the GPS 315) and Projections.

I have remapped my hard buttons to jump between these two apps.

CetusGPS just started playing with this one and it has some plusses and minuses... for the way i cache the negatives outweigh the plusses. A GREAT Program though I WILL be keeping it loaded for some features and for non caching GPS activities(bet you didn't know they existed did you?)

For the Mac:

GPS Babel... A gps file format tool... A MUST HAVE converts gpx to palm capabl files for different types of recievers and gps apps

MacCMConvert... Yes i use a mac. there is CMConvert for everybody else. this app takes your pocket query GPX files and makes them work for cachemate on the palm and makes them a palm type file. a MUST HAVE if you use cachemate.

bmgpx to gather gpx files on benchmarks from the NGS website. not as cool as maybe a pocket querry but still cool.

Garmin: eTrex Vista, eMap, StreetPilot III. StreetPilot is great for auto navigation and I usually keep it updated with latest geocaches in case I feel an urge to grab a quickie (so to speak) on my way from here to there.

Palm m500 running Plucker, filled with caches using GPXSpinner. Very happy with this solution. I never really used paper much. Prior to custom queries, I cobbled together some custom scripts that worked with AvantGo. Prior to the m500, I used a Palm V that died a nasty death when I dropped it in a river while caching. I've played with the Palm VII some and tried to make the PQA stuff work, but it never really worked for me. Also, I don't get a Palm VII signal out here in the sticks. It only worked for urban caches. Gave the Palm VII away.

Looking at Meridian Platinum. Mrs. Okie likes the fact that Magellan supports geocaching. They have donated new units to the OK geocaching group for giveaways at the last three outdoor meetings (fall/spring/fall). Are you listening Garmin (or do you even care)?

Looking at a Palm Tungsten C or maybe a Treo 600. That is, if we could ever get GSM signals out here in the sticks.

-E

1) Garmin Legend

2) Palm Tungsten E and Palm IIIx (IIIx in for Geocaching only, TE gets used too)

3) 60cs (maybe)

I also think software should be on such a list.

Since I use Mac OSX I have written custom software for sending maps to my Legend and also to handle way-points. It's still in the development stages so no I don't need any beta testers yet.

CacheMate and CSpotRun on my Palm devices. And the mac apps to make those work.

Part of the reason I want to upgrade is to make sure my custom apps work with the newer GPSrs. I may also get a Magellan GPSr and RE the mapping for that too.

1) Meridian Gold w/256mB SD card, SporTrak Color, DirectRoute software

2) Palm Tungsten T (GPXSpinner and iSilo)

3) I'm eyeing the 60cs, but it would be hard to change brands with the current level of investment (software, cradle in boat, cables in car, etc.) Would have to come down in price significantly.

GPS: Pharos attached to a Dell Axim

Notes: PDA

Upgrade: I am currently working with a mapping company, so I have been trying out quite a few different types.

As for software, I was using the Ostia software that came with the GPS, but now I am using Memory Map. It is much better for off-road / hiking and has some neat new features.

Edited by Greymane

Garmin eTrex Vista

MapSource/MetroGuide USA V5.0 (and gpsbabel to absorb waypoints)

was paper, but decided to use my Palm IIIc

was using MobiPocket but I hate it (and can't uninstall)

Tried GPX Spinner and Plucker this morning. Works much better than MobiPocket. I think we'll keep it.

Edited by The Dumples

GPS = Garmin V

PDA = Sony NX70V Clie

Logging in Field = PDA using Cachemate

Upgrades = Just ordered a cable for GPS to PDA to use new feature in Cachemate as well as play with some PDA software.

By using the PDA with Cachemate, paper becomes a thing of the past since it not only logs, but you can load all the waypoints that are in your GPS with the descriptions, hints and recent logs. It can also be used for the Benchmarks.

I used to use MobiPocket and was happy with it, however Cachemate has many more features since it is Geocaching dedicated.

Several first time mentions here I believe. All very functional for geocaching.

Meridian Green w/128mb card added - not sure why I'd need more but it seems to be the first time mentioned here.

Have an old Palm III with Streetfinder GPSr atttachment also. Use it only if I have too.

Another very functional antique is a Co-Pilot GPSr module form TravRoute?. I found it at a resale ship for less than a dollar. Plug it into my very old laptop and it drives MS Street and Trips perfectly in the vehicle.

1 - GPS V (I'm in love)

2 - palm m500 with Cachemate

3 - Waiting patiently to see the 60C in action before commiting to a yes/no on the upgrade. I don't think so though. The V is pretty easy for me to hold and sits on the dash ever so nicely w/o any extra goo. If I wanted a unit with a compass I'd go with the MeriPlat. I'm still kicking myself because I didn't keep mine - the compass on that thing rocked.

So, really, I'm pretty darn happy with what I've got - and yes, we're paperless. It didn't take me too long to figure out that was the way to go!

-=-

michelle