Question About Micro Caches

gpsblake

I want to place some super micro caches around. I guess my question is a simple one, but I want to make them really small, I mean so small that a log will not fit in it. I would have in (or on) it a simple word that would have to been emailed to me to get credit for the cache. Is this a valid cache or do they all have to have logbooks in them?

Cheers,

Blake

The guidelines state:

Cache Types

Cache sizes for all caches that have a physical container.

Micro (35 mm film canister or smaller, typically containing only a logbook)

Regular (Tupperware-style container or ammo can)

Large (5 gallon bucket or larger)

Traditional Caches

This is the original cache type consisting of (at a bare minimum) a container and a logbook. The cache may be filled with objects for trade. Normally you'll find a Tupperware-style container, ammo box, or bucket filled with goodies, or smaller container ("microcache") too small to contain items except for a logbook. The coordinates listed on the traditional cache page are the exact location of the cache. A container with just an object or codeword for verification may NOT be approved if the cache does not also include a logbook.

So the answer is, you must have a log book for it to be approved.

Thanks for the answer, I'll just stick to my original two I was going to place this weekend or early next week, a 2x2x2 semi-micro with log and a regular sized cache. Like the idea mentioned here of an Altoids can with a magnet (as long as I am comfortable with it remaining dry), which is the problem I have found with micros in 35mm containers, logs that are soaky or unwritable.

Cheers,

Blake

Since a log book can be made that will fit inside a magnetic key holder or a film canister, I'm wondering how small that micro really is. (Heck, once you're up to the altoids canister with the earth magnet on the back, you've got swag in there as well.)

Metal container that contains mouthwash strips that go in your mouth. Really small.

Cheers,

Blake

Since a log book can be made that will fit inside a magnetic key holder or a film canister, I'm wondering how small that micro really is. (Heck, once you're up to the altoids canister with the earth magnet on the back, you've got swag in there as well.)

Metal container that contains mouthwash strips that go in your mouth. Really small.

Cheers,

Blake

I have a couple of the Altoids Strips tins that I have been thinking of using. I usually use regular Altoids tins (sometimes with magnets). They are pretty easy to hide.

I have one of the mini-tins (for regular Altoids mints) in service as a micro now. It hs been working fine. My other micros are regular Altoids tins. I will be scouting a place for the strips tin.

I have been playing with reducing the stash note to business card size, using the back for the logbook, and folding it small enough to fit in the tin for the strips.

I have seen a container for fuses used as a micro, but it definately was not water tight and was quickly archived.

Altoids tins that are upright work fine. I also haven't had a problem with finding a hiding spot that provides shelter from the rain.

Dave_W6DPS

What about making your super small cache a Virtual Cache? You would have to require a photo to verify finds. Perhaps requiring a photo of your sign/cache be emailed to you might work. (just throwing out an idea here)

I know a lot of people don't much care for Virtuals but it might be a solution for your situation.

My extra small micro han be hidden nearly anywhere. I added 4 tiny gold-plated (resist corrosion) magnets. (in this case, magnetically attatched to a piece of galvanized steel).

altoidstrips.jpg

I am going to paint/write the coordinates to the next step inside.

altoidstrips-2.jpg

In response to the below question, I got the magnets for the above container, as well as larger containers, at:

http://www.wondermagnets.com/cgi-bin/edatcat/WMSstore.pl

Edited by DustyJacket

You can also get sheets of magnetic material for making magnets out of your business cards. These are available at Staples, Office Depot, etc.

They have a magnet coating on one side and peal-and-stick adhesive on the other. You just peel and stick to an Altoids tin and it works fine. For the strips container it cuts with scissors. I have a couple in service that have been in place for weeks and are still holding fine.

It is pretty inexpensive, and each package has 10 sheets.

There are also magnetic sheets for your printer, so you can print your own magnets. It can be printed and then cut with scissors. I have used strips of the stuff with for a multi, printed with the cache number and coordinates of the next stage. Just stick it to a fencepost or other steel object.

Dave_W6DPS

I want to place some super micro caches around. I guess my question is a simple one, but I want to make them really small, I mean so small that a log will not fit in it.

If the container has an inside, you can fit a log sheet in it (and I'd hesitate to call anything without an inside a cache, even a microcache). If only a name or two can be written on it, then you replace it frequently. At Bobkat's "World's Smallest Cache" the first part is smaller than anything I've ever seen out there -- he says it's 7/16" but I think he overestimated; the internal diameter, at least, was significantly less -- and it contained coordinates to the second part of the cache; it could just as easily have contained a logbook. Heck, I got a trade item in there. No matter what container you have, someone can get a log sheet in it. Now, if they start requiring a writing implement, that'll be a challenge, unless fragments of pencil lead count.

I remember back when they used to have these machines that sold astronomy charts with fortunes etc on them. They were sold in tubes about 3" long and as big around as a pen. The sheet was rolled up inside, and when you unrolled it, the thing was like 4' long. :D

SO if they can fit 4' of paper in a little tube, you should be able to fit some type of log an just about any size of container.

Ohgr