An Idea For The Moderators...

Mark 42

How about only responding to complaints.

Instead of looking for trouble, wait for someone to report it.

Not everyone gets offended when someone calls them paranoid,

refers to their heritage, uses a bad word like "Darn", or strays

off topic. There is a thing called "Context", and it needs much

more consideration in the moderation.

It's starting to feel like there are traffic cams at every intersection

to send you a citation even if you are a usecond late going through

a yellow light.

Moderating means listening to what people are saying, and helping

keep the peace, not cleansing every message thread of any perceived

potential violation of the guidelines.

Or maybe someone else could start a forum with less strict enforcement

of the "Guidelines".

(Just an FYI: I have not had any posts deleted, moved or editted,

I just don't like what I see happening to others).

I missed all the excitement over the last couple of days. As such, I didn't feed any of the negative threads that were going around. I did get a kick out of reading MANY locked threads. If I hadn't taken the day off of work, I probably would have been in the middle of all that stuff. I suppose it is good that didn't get involved, my warn meter is still at 0%. ;)

That said, I agree with the premise of Mark42's suggestion. While there are some posts that should be censored (or whatever word the management prefers to use), not every off-topic remark needs to get the axe. Case in point: The breast thread. It wasn't really about white meat or dark meat at Thanksgiving dinner. This is an example of a thread that crosses the line on a family-friendly website. It's one thing if one person make a comment that could be taken different ways, it's another thing entirely to have a whole thread devoted to it.

Here's an example, what about having a whole thread on Thanksgiving plans? That is a general subject and something you can discuss in mixed company. Some people's plans would include Geocaching of course, but does it really hurt the forums to allow us to discuss other things we might do over the weekend? Would a visitor to the forums run away screaming, 'They're not true Geocachers, they're watching football and hanging Christmas lights instead!' No, it would show the visitor that we are a well-rounded group. I think it would be worse if the visitor said, 'Those Geocachers have one-track minds, all they're interested in is Geocaching and nothing else.'

Being a Geocaching Forum, 95% of all posts are going to relate to Geocaching anyway. Where's the harm in allowing a couple posts here and there to be about something else that Geocachers are interested in? I know Groundspeak doesn't want an off-topic forum and that's fine. I'm saying we have enough forums here to satisfy just about every group. Getting started is for newbies, Geocaching.com Discussion if for posting about the site, GPS Units & Software is self-explanitory, so is the Travel Bug forum, plus there are regional forums for just about everything else. General is the place for all topics that don't fit anywhere else, whether it is discussion of camo techniques or how many Christmas lights you'll be putting on your ammo box.

My advice to Admin.

Ixnay on the WarningAy to me. Ay?

I know I am a stinker, but have a sense of humor.

The subject of this topic is whether forum moderation should be proactive or reactive. Thus, an appeal of the warning level assessed to your individual account is off-topic and is best addressed by writing to the moderator who issued the warning. Should you disagree with the moderator's handling of the matter, send an e-mail to approvers at geocaching.com describing the situation.

The only consideration I don't see addressed in the above premises is lurkers, newbies, media reporters, land managers and others who come here and find a hostile environment/community.

Ultimately, the new recent moderation will tone down as the extreme posts fall in line with the new parameters.

Enjoy,

Randy

The only consideration I don't see addressed in the above premises is lurkers, newbies, media reporters, land managers and others who come here and find a hostile environment/community.

Ultimately, the new recent moderation will tone down as the extreme posts fall in line with the new parameters.

Enjoy,

Randy

Well said. I was about to write a similar post, but you pretty much summed it up.

Give the Mods a break. They are, or were fighting a battle with one hand tied behind their backs. Keep in mind there are a very few people that have stirred up the fourms and made it difficult for the rest of us.

If you go back in the history of the fourms...and I'm talking at least a year ago, you will find that there were many OT posts. It was no big deal back then...and probably wouldn't be today except for those few that want to exploit the fourms.

We have sat idiley by for months letting a few rebels change the way we post. We let them get to a point where it affected all of us. Now we want to blame the Moderators, when in fact we have our own selves to blame. We as a community could have put a stop to this before it got this far.

All I want, and many others like me, is to have our fourms back. We want to discuss Geocaching, and occassionally something else in a civil manner. Remember the old saying..."One rotten apple can spoil a whole barrell" We are a living example of that saying.

The bottom line is....there is nothing wrong with the Moderators.

El Diablo

Excuse me for kissing some butt for a second but well said El Diablo.

Its scary to think that the reg's of old were scared off by the "new breed" I say this because it was thoughs regulars that kept things on the up and up and everyone happy around here.

I wish they would come back so I could ridicule them. :D:D:)B):D:ph34r::D

Well I'll throw in my 2c into the fount.

The result of the "proactive" forum management that is now the practice is that I really don't know what to do, whether I can post or not.

I guess I have become accustomed to the "freedom of speech" that this country was founded upon and I am truly puzzled when it is limited for no particularly good reason and in a seemingly random manner.

I gather questioning the calls of TPTB is Verboten?

But using the "F" word is acceptable? (as long as you don't fully spell it out)

The definition of "off topic" truly eludes me when a post that matches the topic title 100% gets deleted.

I go away for a few weeks and come back as a total newbie, not knowing why I am censored.

Am I too dense to comprehend?

Guess I need to find a different way to waste my time in the evenings.

I guess I have become accustomed to the "freedom of speech" that this country was founded upon and I am truly puzzled when it is limited for no particularly good reason and in a seemingly random manner.

I gather questioning the calls of TPTB is Verboten?

But using the "F" word is acceptable? (as long as you don't fully spell it out)

You're not alone in your puzzlement. I've also noted a rules deJour mentality imposed in a most random manner. Perfectly innocnent text will be excised, while the H and F words are seeming to come up much more often than I've seen them before.

Whatever rules there "are" they seem to be applied "selectively" depeding on how that moderator feels about that particuar person or issue. I'm not saying all moderators are doing this...just a few that creating the base problem.

The moderating rules need to be better codified. Some of them are going to need to be tested for validity. In short, particular egos need to be toned down and become aware they are going to be judged by their peers.

Consistancy is what I'm really look for. For example, one poster is (questionably) chasticed in public for not saying good thing about his friend. When his friend counter-attacked (in a much hotter form) it was allowed to stand. Complaints to get the personal attackes removed fell on deaf ears.

In short, this is the "Wild West" situation Jeremy was referring to, but the side of "

Law and Order" wasn't alway something to be proud off.

Get the moderators behavior rules codified, and then enforce them. Keep enformcements privates so the rest of us don't have to see you wrastle over them.

George

If you go back in the history of the fourms...and I'm talking at least a year ago, you will find that there were many OT posts. It was no big deal back then...and probably wouldn't be today except for those few that want to exploit the fourms.

El Diablo

I'm sorry, but I couldn't help myself here. I couldn't wait until the latter part of December to post, but I am anyway.

I was among the few who took the moderation supplement as part of a "cleansing" act and disagreed with the process. I acted in a way (even though quite helpful to a theory that needs no recognition whatsoever) that really ruined a decent and likable reputation I once had. Well, almost likable, gimme some room for error-heh!

I overstepped my boundaries and even though at the time I thought it was in best interest, I can look back now and see that it was not in fact in best interest for all, but just for myself, even though quite helpful.

Call me whatever, but I just recently watched a movie and I find myself trying to find a calm to the situation at hand. In all reality I am open minded and see truth and sincerity in all people.

Like the old saying goes, "Like an a**hole we all have an opinion".

Well, yes in fact we all do, and that's expressed and it is one of our rights. But let's not exploit that folks. We are simply on a board that accepts the fact that we have that choice and it is at TBTB's option to control what is acceptable or not, hence this is THEIR playground anyway.

How hard is that to fathom?

Not at all for me.

I can see progress in the future on the forums. We need to look inside ourselves and ask why we have succumbed to the downfall of late. Downfall? Yup. Look at the encircling problems that surround the boards. What a shame.

For the rebels that seem to push the envelope, listen:

FUTILE EFFORT! Give it a rest.

Cut off my darn e. OOOOhhh! :ph34r:

Criminal for President!!!!

Edited by opey one
Like the old saying goes, "Like an a**hole we all have an opinion".
I can see my kids asking things like "What does he mean by "Kissing Butt""

and whas does A**H... spell?

Kissing the Devil's butt sounds like another way to get burned.

We all have different opinions of what should be censored (censorship is not inherently bad, when it is used sparingly, evenly, and appropriately

My advice to Admin.

Ixnay on the WarningAy to me.  Ay?

I know I am a stinker, but have a sense of humor.

The subject of this topic is whether forum moderation should be proactive or reactive. Thus, an appeal of the warning level assessed to your individual account is off-topic

I have to disagree. As the one who started this topic, (Idea for moderators: How about only responding to complaints.) I would consider this totally on topic. The way I took that post was that it, in the spirit of this thread topic, was a light-hearted way to point out that in addition to Admins beeing a bit too quick to Edit, Move, Delete, and Lock posts &/or message threads, they are also issuing warnings at a somewhat low threshold of tolerance.

I suppose that my "Warn 0%" might change, but in the words of aviation

pioneer Otto Lillienthal (on his deathbed after a crash) "Sacrifices must be made".

I get tired of many good threads getting locked way too often.

If there were another Geocaching BBS that someone else was running with less "Guidance", I'd probably spend more time reading the forum, and would eventually spend most of my forum time on it. But that would split the group, and would become cumbersome. A concensus or compromise would be the best solution. Striking the right balance between freedom and management is the best solution, but I don't think that has been accomplished yet.

If a thread drifts of subject, leave it. It may lead down an interesting path.

Someone said that would make it difficult for others to find certain subject material... there is a search engine for the forums, and the new BBS software (which I'm familiar with) has a search feature that works pretty well.

Edited by Mark 42
If a thread drifts of subject, leave it. It may lead down an interesting path.

Well said.

The ability of a decent conversation to "drift" is what separates a "conversation" from a "thesis" or a good sermon.

If I want a sermon, I go to church. When I talk to my friends, I'm very happy to go wherever the conversation leads.

<whiney voice> Can't we all just be friends? </whiney voice> (intended as humor)