Zeroing And Wacky Readings

Lachrymose

Hi, guys. I don't know if this question has already been answered or not, but can someone please tell me what exactly it means for the GPSr to "zero out" once you stop. Does that just mean it needs to catch up?

Also, it seems whenever I follow the bearing pointer to the waypoint, if I ever have to walk away and walk back, it takes me sometimes to a completely different area. I'm talking not just within the accuracy distance, but actually several tens of feet off each time. Do you know why this could be? It sometimes leads me to circling an area many, many times and looking even more suspicious than usual!

Thanks!!

I don't know what you mean by zero out. But regarding the scond part, what you're doing is the "bee dance". You basically have arrived at the destination. Since the accuracy fluctuates and you can't pin the final point, the arrow starts bouncing around. It'll confuse the heck out of you.

What I do is when I start getting close, let's say 80-100 feet, I look at the arrow and the distance to the cache and look ahead to where it think it would be. I continue to watch as the GPS counts down the feet to the cache. Once I get to that "perceived" point, I start looking around for a likely hiding point. Sometimes I'll come in from a second direction to get a cross point.

Hope that helps. Good luck and welcome to geocaching.

Edited by Alan2

Zero out simply means that the GPS is indicating that there is zero distance to the coordinates that you seek. If you are stopped and the GPS (or GPSr if you wish) zeros out, then in an ideal world, you would be directly on, above, or below the cache.

Many geocachers try to zero out as the initial part of their search. Others put the GPS away once they get to about 20 feet away. As one gets more familiar with the technology, one develops a better appreciation for variations in readings and understands that the same spot on the earth will get different readings.

Team Geo-Jedi