Gc'ing During Hunting Season

Here is an interesting log entry from a hunter who stumbled on a cache:

November 22 by instructor (1 found)

IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTE:

I stumbled upon this cache while hunting. I highly recommend that everyone stay away from this area until hunting season is over. It is a public hunting area, and being there could get you injured or killed if you are mistaken for game. The week of deer gun season (1st week in December) will be an especially dangerous time. If you feel you must look for this cache, PLEASE wear blaze orange on your head and torso. DO NOT wear WHITE or Brown.

Your sport sounds quite fun, and I would not want to see anyone hurt. Public hunting areas such as Oxbow may not be the best place to conduct this game.

Stay safe!

He should have said "I am an ignorant hunter who shoots at anything that moves, I can not really tell the difference between deer and humans". I have seen people in the woods while geocaching and never thought they were "game", they look suprisingly like humans. I have also seen people in the woods while caching that are wearing brown, they look like people in a woods wearing brown!!

Here is an interesting log entry from a hunter who stumbled on a cache:

November 22 by instructor (1 found)

IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTE:

I stumbled upon this cache while hunting. I highly recommend that everyone stay away from this area until hunting season is over. It is a public hunting area, and being there could get you injured or killed if you are mistaken for game. The week of deer gun season (1st week in December) will be an especially dangerous time. If you feel you must look for this cache, PLEASE wear blaze orange on your head and torso. DO NOT wear WHITE or Brown.

Your sport sounds quite fun, and I would not want to see anyone hurt. Public hunting areas such as Oxbow may not be the best place to conduct this game.

Stay safe!

He should have said "I am an ignorant hunter who shoots at anything that moves, I can not really tell the difference between deer and humans". I have seen people in the woods while geocaching and never thought they were "game", they look suprisingly like humans. I have also seen people in the woods while caching that are wearing brown, they look like people in a woods wearing brown!!

Sounds to me that this person isn't one of the ignorant hunters, but rather warning against those who are.

Check out the rules for hunting in your area.  Some states don't allow hunting on Sundays.  Find out what season happens when, whether it's duck, deer, turkey, and bow, shotgun, or muzzle loader.  Check with your local Department of Environmental Protection, or whatever your state calls it.

I think everyone should realize that just because the state says you can only hunt between certain dates, does not mean that poachers follow the laws. Poaching is very common, however I should also point out something else-- varmint hunting is legal (depending on staqte/county) and usually allowed year-round.

Also, many hunters do not wear orange, even if its the law.

Bottom line: hunting season is year round, but of course more common during deer and turkey season.

Edited by Energizer

As one who regularly enjoys both Hunting and Geocaching, I can say there need be NO conflict here. The gentleman was refering to public hunting area. It is wise to keep in mind that there are many thousands of hunters who enter the woods for deer or turkey hunting who may or may not be skilled or experienced. An additional note, I have hunted for 35 years, I was a US Army Sniper 30 years ago, and i can say unequivicolly thay people do not always look like people, and I have my self drawn up with my finger on the trigger ready to shoot, only to find that it was some fool not wearing orange. If you value your life... ALWAYS wear orange in the forrest during deer gun season.

Huh? It sounds like this is one of the good guys just giving a friendly warning. He could have put a few rounds through your cache instead.

Trust me and the others who have commented, people wearing brown walking through the woods do not always look like people, especially in thick cover.

As a PA hunter and cacher, I think it best to remember that a lot of those idiot drivers you meet on the highway are now in the woods carrying high powered rifles. Something moving in a dark color in the brush is going to catch a hunters attention. It may be a human but I wouldn't want somebody putting his scope on me just to find out. I remember a few years ago watching a brown patch through the brush and starting to put my scope on it for a better look and decided to hold off for just a second. It turned out to be an old die hard hunter who refused to wear orange. Another thing to remember in our area is that many many caches are hidden on PA state game lands. Lands bought and paid for by PA hunting license fees. There are a lot more hunters in those areas than there are cachers. We seem to have enough conflicts between interest groups. (hikers, cavers, etc.). I certainly wouldn't advocate antagonizing another group especially one whose lands we are using for our enjoyment. I wouldn't advocate making sure a hunter deliberately sees you, but at the same time I wouldn't try to be sneaking around. If he's hunting game and you are doing something other than that, then like it or not, you are in his territory and on his time. Don't mess up his hunt. Walk around him, at a distance, quickly and deliberately but not right up in his face. Nothing aggravates me more than some nit wit out in the woods stomping around and obviously not hunting, but messing up my hunting by yelling and flapping his arms around. And be aware that PA has a lot of different popular hunting seasons that run from September through the winter months. And if you just have to be out cache hunting during the hunting seasons for gods sake wear BLAZE orange. I'm certain that a lot of this could be applied to other states as well.

Check out the rules for hunting in your area.  Some states don't allow hunting on Sundays.  Find out what season happens when, whether it's duck, deer, turkey, and bow, shotgun, or muzzle loader.  Check with your local Department of Environmental Protection, or whatever your state calls it.

I think everyone should realize that just because the state says you can only hunt between certain dates, does not mean that poachers follow the laws. Poaching is very common, however I should also point out something else-- varmint hunting is legal (depending on staqte/county) and usually allowed year-round.

Also, many hunters do not wear orange, even if its the law.

Bottom line: hunting season is year round, but of course more common during deer and turkey season.

I would not be concerned about being shot accidentally poachers. Poachers generally do their business when game is not under hunting pressure and is easy to get close to. They are not likely to attempt a difficult or rushed shot. And there are not nearly as many of them.

I would also not worry about varmint hunters. There are few humans who would be mistaken for varmints - regardless of dress. (maybe some here? :unsure: ) Varmint hunters don't take shots at rustling bushes, and they almost always use scopes, binoculars, etc.

-ST

I would not be concerned about being shot accidentally poachers. Poachers generally do their business when game is not under hunting pressure and is easy to get close to. They are not likely to attempt a difficult or rushed shot. And there are not nearly as many of them.

Quite the contrary! Poachers tend to stop and shoot from the side of the road in my area, and by the nature of their illegal activity, do so under pressure and are more likely to make a rushed shot. Also, poachers are more likely to do this at night, when even blaze orange may not be quickly identifiable in their spotlight.

As a PA hunter and cacher, I think it best to remember that a lot of those idiot drivers you meet on the highway are now in the woods carrying high powered rifles. Something moving in a dark color in the brush is going to catch a hunters attention. It may be a human but  I wouldn't want somebody putting his scope on me just to find out. I remember a few years ago watching a brown patch through the brush and starting to put my scope on it for a better look and decided to hold off for just a second. It turned out to be an old die hard hunter who refused to wear orange. Another thing to remember in our area is that many many caches are hidden on PA state game lands. Lands bought and paid for by PA hunting license fees. There are a lot more hunters in those areas than there are cachers. We seem to have enough conflicts between interest groups. (hikers, cavers, etc.). I certainly wouldn't advocate antagonizing another group especially one whose lands we are using for our enjoyment.  I wouldn't advocate making sure a hunter deliberately sees you, but at the same time I wouldn't try to be sneaking around. If he's hunting game and you are doing something other than that, then like it or not, you are in his territory and on his time. Don't mess up his hunt. Walk around him, at a distance, quickly and deliberately but not right up in his face. Nothing aggravates me more than some nit wit out in the woods stomping around and obviously not hunting, but messing up my hunting by yelling and flapping his arms around. And be aware that PA has a lot of different popular hunting seasons that run from September through the winter months. And if you just have to be out cache hunting during the hunting seasons for gods sake wear BLAZE orange. I'm certain that a lot of this could be applied to other states as well.

As a former hunter (from PA, no less), I found this a very well put post. You're right about PA's State Game Lands being used so heavily for cache placement... The PA DCNR requires permission and placement expirations on all the other state lands, but since the SGLs have no restrictions, lots of caches get placed on them. Heck, I myself know of a couple SGL areas where I'm thinking of placing my first caches. We're lucky the state doesn't have restrictions for us on the SGLs. Who knows, maybe they will if any bad 'incidents' between hunters/caches start occurring. I've always been a heavy hiker of PA's SGLs, even before I started caching... unlike many of the State Park trails, the SGLs are usually virtually deserted in the summer months which I enjoy. But you always have to remember that the intended purpose of these lands is for hunting (and game propagation) so, imho, hunters get the 'right of way'.

Anyways, my thoughts are never trust the person on the 'safe end' of a rifle. Sure we can argue that hunters should be checking carefully first before they pull the trigger, but we should make it easy as possible for them... I don't even want a hunter putting his scope on me or putting me in his sites waiting for me to come out from that bush so he can verify that I'm OK to shoot at. Because accidents happen. Wear orange and he has no excuse to even site you. Don't wear subdued colors and he's likely gonna put you in his sites so he's ready to pull the trigger ASAP after he verifies your not a person. Better hope his finger doesn't slip while he's scoping you.

Edited by Jeeters

Anyways, my thoughts are never trust the person on the 'safe end' of a rifle. Sure we can argue that hunters should be checking carefully first before they pull the trigger, but we should make it easy as possible for them... I don't even want a hunter putting his scope on me or putting me in his sites waiting for me to come out from that bush so he can verify that I'm OK to shoot at. Because accidents happen. Wear orange and he has no excuse to even site you. Don't wear subdued colors and he's likely gonna put you in his sites so he's ready to pull the trigger ASAP after he verifies your not a person. Better hope his finger doesn't slip while he's scoping you.

Absolutely. Even the safest hunters have accidents from time to time, according to statistics. The overall point here is to not let that hunter be a statistic, and to not let yourself become a statistic. :unsure:

I would not be concerned about being shot accidentally poachers.  Poachers generally do their business when game is not under hunting pressure and is easy to get close to.  They are not likely to attempt a difficult or rushed shot. And there are not nearly as many of them.

Quite the contrary! Poachers tend to stop and shoot from the side of the road in my area, and by the nature of their illegal activity, do so under pressure and are more likely to make a rushed shot. Also, poachers are more likely to do this at night, when even blaze orange may not be quickly identifiable in their spotlight.

Maybe things are different in your area. But around here, there are plenty of places to shoot game out of season without being rushed or having a difficult shot. This is different than "in-season poaching", which is often as you describe.

Speaking as one who has heard poachers discuss their methods, I am confident that it is very unlikely that anyone would be shot accidentally by a poacher - even at night. At least not in this state (Idaho). Most (off season) poachers are repeat offenders. They know where and when to do their stuff without witnesses. They learned their "craft" from other experienced poachers. That's why they are so hard to catch.

BTW - have YOU ever seen blaze orange in a spotlight? Doesn't sound like it...

Also BTW - blaze orange isn't an issue here, because we're talking about out-of-season poaching (at least, I was).

-ST

Anyways, my thoughts are never trust the person on the 'safe end' of a rifle.  Sure we can argue that hunters should be checking carefully first before they pull the trigger, but we should make it easy as possible for them...  I don't even want a hunter putting his scope on me or putting me in his sites waiting for me to come out from that bush so he can verify that I'm OK to shoot at.  Because accidents happen.  Wear orange and he has no excuse to even site you.  Don't wear subdued colors and he's likely gonna put you in his sites so he's ready to pull the trigger ASAP after he verifies your not a person.  Better hope his finger doesn't slip while he's scoping you.

Absolutely. Even the safest hunters have accidents from time to time, according to statistics. The overall point here is to not let that hunter be a statistic, and to not let yourself become a statistic. :unsure:

Good Lord! This is looking really bad for hunters!

"Even the safest hunters have accidents from time to time, according to statistics."

What on earth are you talking about? The safest hunters - by definition - do not have accidents. And where are you getting your statistics? Hunting accidents have been in decline FOR DECADES. This doesn't jive well with your statement, when you take in to account that there are more hunters (in total) now than ever.

Let's not frighten people unnecessarily, eh?

-ST

Ooh, this is so frustrating. There is alot of hunter bashing going on here by people who have never hunted, and frankly, have no idea what hunting is all about. I am in a state where hunter orange is not required, thank God, and I camo down totally, even face paint. I am never scared when it comes to being out on public land with plenty of other hunters. But then again, I am in the west where we have vast distances, and we only shoot bucks forked antler or better, so it is different here. (If you want me to come hunt whitetails in the east with you, let me know.)

I have NEVER looked at a person through my scope, or even accidently discharged my gun. I am a safe and concientious hunter. Just like there are good drivers and bad drivers, there are good hunters and bad hunters. To lump me in with bad hunters and poachers makes me mad. A poacher is not a hunter, the same as someone driving without a license is not a legal driver.

STOP BASHING ALL HUNTERS! If you have never been hunting, you should go out and take a hunter safety class and try it some time, but you have no right to make blanket statements about hunters.

Anyways, my thoughts are never trust the person on the 'safe end' of a rifle.  Sure we can argue that hunters should be checking carefully first before they pull the trigger, but we should make it easy as possible for them...  I don't even want a hunter putting his scope on me or putting me in his sites waiting for me to come out from that bush so he can verify that I'm OK to shoot at.  Because accidents happen.  Wear orange and he has no excuse to even site you.  Don't wear subdued colors and he's likely gonna put you in his sites so he's ready to pull the trigger ASAP after he verifies your not a person.  Better hope his finger doesn't slip while he's scoping you.

Good Lord! This is looking really bad for hunters!

"Even the safest hunters have accidents from time to time, according to statistics."

What on earth are you talking about? The safest hunters - by definition - do not have accidents. And where are you getting your statistics? Hunting accidents have been in decline FOR DECADES. This doesn't jive well with your statement, when you take in to account that there are more hunters (in total) now than ever.

Let's not frighten people unnecessarily, eh?

-ST

I'm not bashing hunters. And I stand by my statements. I get my information from the Hunter Safety Training pamphlets that my brother has. He is a state certified training officer. I also spent 10 years as a paramedic, both on the streets and in the ER. I know accidents happen to the safest people. I'm not trying to start a flame war here, but at least have some idea of what you're talking about before you try to argue a point. Yes, I've seen blaze orange in spotlights, both 1,000,000 CP white and yellow. In a yellow spot (which is the spot of choice by poachers here) blaze orange just doesn't cut it, not even in a white spot is it quickly recognizable.

Huntnlady, I hope my posts didn't try to lump poachers with hunters. I think poachers are lowlifes.

Not all hunters are bad, the majority are excellent and extremely safe. I am just saying that no matter how safe you are, accidents can and will happen. Just two weeks ago a local who had been hunting avidly for over 40 years without an accident, tripped and shot his son to death. An awful accident, but just that....an accident.

Lets see if we can be more positive in both our on-topic posts and our off-topic generalizations.

Also, remember that some hunters like to fire multiple shots and/or chase the animal while shooting at it, for example from a moving vehicle.

What has this to do with the subject of this thread? Other than bashing hunters, I mean.

-ST

Umm.. isn't it obvious? If a hunter is firing multiple shots, while chasing an animal, a stray shot might come your way... DUH!

BTW, please don't anyone think that I was implying that hunters routinely shoot at rustling bushes. This truly is not the rule - only the exception. But it does happen. The simple caution is to not be rooting about in the bushes for a cache while wearing earth-tone clothing during hunting season. The possibility of a slob-hunter accident is there, but it is not by any means rampant.

Just use some common sense and be alert to your surroundings. Is that any different than urban caching?

-ST

I was in a public park in the middle of Wichita, KS yesterday and there were a couple of kids a couple hundred yards away shooting .22's in my direction.  By the time I got to where they were, they had skedaddled, but I wasn't going to hesitate in busting a couple of guns.  I love my guns, but I use them responsibly!

Lots of good advice here, so I won't add more.

Nope, no different than caching in a city.

EDIT: I was also shot in the forehead while wearing a blaze orange vest and cap when I was a teenager pheasant hunting.

Edited by Sparky-Watts

I would also not worry about varmint hunters. There are few humans who would be mistaken for varmints - regardless of dress. (maybe some here? :unsure: ) Varmint hunters don't take shots at rustling bushes, and they almost always use scopes, binoculars, etc.

-ST

Obviously you don't know much about how poachers really operate. And BTW: poaching is done all the time-- night and day, and not just during the non-hunting seasons. Every poacher has his own techniques...

I would not be concerned about being shot accidentally poachers.  Poachers generally do their business when game is not under hunting pressure and is easy to get close to.  They are not likely to attempt a difficult or rushed shot. And there are not nearly as many of them.

Maybe things are different in your area. But around here, there are plenty of places to shoot game out of season without being rushed or having a difficult shot. This is different than "in-season poaching", which is often as you describe.

Speaking as one who has heard poachers discuss their methods, I am confident that it is very unlikely that anyone would be shot accidentally by a poacher - even at night. At least not in this state (Idaho). Most (off season) poachers are repeat offenders. They know where and when to do their stuff without witnesses. They learned their "craft" from other experienced poachers. That's why they are so hard to catch.

BTW - have YOU ever seen blaze orange in a spotlight? Doesn't sound like it...

Also BTW - blaze orange isn't an issue here, because we're talking about out-of-season poaching (at least, I was).

-ST

Umm.. No I wasn't. I was talking about POACHING, not out-of-season poaching.

Ooh, this is so frustrating. There is alot of hunter bashing going on here by people who have never hunted, and frankly, have no idea what hunting is all about. I am in a state where hunter orange is not required, thank God, and I camo down totally, even face paint. I am never scared when it comes to being out on public land with plenty of other hunters. But then again, I am in the west where we have vast distances, and we only shoot bucks forked antler or better, so it is different here. (If you want me to come hunt whitetails in the east with you, let me know.)

I have NEVER looked at a person through my scope, or even accidently discharged my gun. I am a safe and concientious hunter. Just like there are good drivers and bad drivers, there are good hunters and bad hunters. To lump me in with bad hunters and poachers makes me mad. A poacher is not a hunter, the same as someone driving without a license is not a legal driver.

STOP BASHING ALL HUNTERS! If you have never been hunting, you should go out and take a hunter safety class and try it some time, but you have no right to make blanket statements about hunters.

We are not bashing ALL hunters. We are just being cautious and SAFE. There's always someone out there who might have an accidental shooting or be a little careless at some point or another. Its better to be safe and prepared.

Cops have Negligent Discharges all the time.

I'm not bashing hunters. And I stand by my statements. I get my information from the Hunter Safety Training pamphlets that my brother has. He is a state certified training officer. I also spent 10 years as a paramedic, both on the streets and in the ER. I know accidents happen to the safest people. I'm not trying to start a flame war here, but at least have some idea of what you're talking about before you try to argue a point. Yes, I've seen blaze orange in spotlights, both 1,000,000 CP white and yellow. In a yellow spot (which is the spot of choice by poachers here) blaze orange just doesn't cut it, not even in a white spot is it quickly recognizable.

Huntnlady, I hope my posts didn't try to lump poachers with hunters. I think poachers are lowlifes.

Not all hunters are bad, the majority are excellent and extremely safe. I am just saying that no matter how safe you are, accidents can and will happen. Just two weeks ago a local who had been hunting avidly for over 40 years without an accident, tripped and shot his son to death. An awful accident, but just that....an accident.

Lets see if we can be more positive in both our on-topic posts and our off-topic generalizations.

Okay, I'm not going to get into an argument over semantics here - but clearly, hunting accidents are on the decline. And the accident you describe has little to do with cache hunters and this thread.

My point is - here is a newby asking if he should stay home during hunting season. You and Energizer (and others) are making it sound as if he should. And I am saying that he should not, and that there is really not that much danger out there - IF you use common sense.

I am also asking that we don't invent danger where it is rare or does not exist.

-FreeMe

Off topic: Poaching, by definition, is out of season, regardless when you do it.

On topic: Blaze orange is the issue here, as well as being aware of your surroundings, especially if you are in a public hunting area.

You are definately wrong on your definition:

poach2 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pch)

v. poached, poach·ing, poach·es

v. intr.

To trespass on another's property in order to take fish or game.

To take fish or game in a forbidden area.

To become muddy or broken up from being trampled. Used of land.

To sink into soft earth when walking.

To take or appropriate something unfairly or illegally.

Sports. To play a ball out of turn or in another's territory, as in doubles tennis.

v. tr.

To trespass on (another's property) for fishing or hunting.

To take (fish or game) illegally.

To make (land) muddy or broken up by trampling.

To take or appropriate unfairly or illegally.

Sports. To play (a ball) out of turn or in another's territory.

I was in a public park in the middle of Wichita, KS yesterday and there were a couple of kids a couple hundred yards away shooting .22's in my direction.  By the time I got to where they were, they had skedaddled, but I wasn't going to hesitate in busting a couple of guns.  I love my guns, but I use them responsibly!

Lots of good advice here, so I won't add more.

Nope, no different than caching in a city.

EDIT: I was also shot in the forehead while wearing a blaze orange vest and cap when I was a teenager pheasant hunting.

I'm gonna let that just slide on by... :unsure:

I'm not bashing hunters.  And I stand by my statements.  I get my information from the Hunter Safety Training pamphlets that my brother has.  He is a state certified training officer.  I also spent 10 years as a paramedic, both on the streets and in the ER.  I know accidents happen to the safest people.  I'm not trying to start a flame war here, but at least have some idea of what you're talking about before you try to argue a point.  Yes, I've seen blaze orange in spotlights, both 1,000,000 CP white and yellow.  In a yellow spot (which is the spot of choice by poachers here) blaze orange just doesn't cut it, not even in a white spot is it quickly recognizable.

Huntnlady, I hope my posts didn't try to lump poachers with hunters.  I think poachers are lowlifes. 

Not all hunters are bad, the majority are excellent and extremely safe.  I am just saying that no matter how safe you are, accidents can and will happen.  Just two weeks ago a local who had been hunting avidly for over 40 years without an accident, tripped and shot his son to death.  An awful accident, but just that....an accident.

Okay, I'm not going to get into an argument over semantics here - but clearly, hunting accidents are on the decline. And the accident you describe has little to do with cache hunters and this thread.

My point is - here is a newby asking if he should stay home during hunting season. You and Energizer (and others) are making it sound as if he should. And I am saying that he should not, and that there is really not that much danger out there - IF you use common sense.

I am also asking that we don't invent danger where it is rare or does not exist.

-FreeMe

I think you've tried to read too much into my comments (and energizers, and others). I never said they should stay home. I never said anything about inventing dangers that aren't there. And clearly, taken in context (which you seem to have a problem doing), my comment about the hunting accident has a lot to do with this thread. It was an illustration that even the "safest" hunters have accidents, meaning that no matter how safe the cacher is or how safe the hunter is, an accidental shooting is always a possibility, regardless of how much hunting accidents are declining. When hunting accidents reach "0", I will retract that statement.

I would also not worry about varmint hunters.  There are few humans who would be mistaken for varmints - regardless of dress. (maybe some here? :unsure: )  Varmint hunters don't take shots at rustling bushes, and they almost always use scopes, binoculars, etc.

-ST

Obviously you don't know much about how poachers really operate. And BTW: poaching is done all the time-- night and day, and not just during the non-hunting seasons. Every poacher has his own techniques...

Boy, am I NOT gonna get into an argument about how much I know about poaching.

Name me some statistics or reports (with references) of poachers shooting bystanders (who are not part of the poaching operation) by accident?

-FreeMe

I think you've tried to read too much into my comments (and energizers, and others). I never said they should stay home. I never said anything about inventing dangers that aren't there. And clearly, taken in context (which you seem to have a problem doing), my comment about the hunting accident has a lot to do with this thread. It was an illustration that even the "safest" hunters have accidents, meaning that no matter how safe the cacher is or how safe the hunter is, an accidental shooting is always a possibility, regardless of how much hunting accidents are declining. When hunting accidents reach "0", I will retract that statement.

See, I said I wasn't going to argue semantics - but I can't resist. I'll accept the blame.

Even the safest hunters CAN have accidents. To simply say that "even the safest hunters have accidents", is to imply (intentionally or not) that accidents happen to all safe hunters - which is clearly not the case. My problem with that line is that someone here will read it in such a manner.

Context is indeed everything. That's why I must insist that if we are talking about the likelyhood of a cacher being accidentally shot, we should not compare apples to oranges. Accidentally shooting one's self or a hunting partner is not the same as shooting intentionally at an unidentified target. They are both accidents, but one is more common than the other (check the stats), and that does not directly relate to the subject here.

We are on the same side (I think). I am just nitpicking over semantics and statistics (I guess), hopefully for the benifit of the uninformed.

-ST

I would also not worry about varmint hunters.  There are few humans who would be mistaken for varmints - regardless of dress. (maybe some here? :unsure: )  Varmint hunters don't take shots at rustling bushes, and they almost always use scopes, binoculars, etc.

-ST

Boy, am I NOT gonna get into an argument about how much I know about poaching.

Name me some statistics or reports (with references) of poachers shooting bystanders (who are not part of the poaching operation) by accident?

-FreeMe

So basically you are saying that there has to be previous instances to prove that you should practice being safe at all times when in the woods. I guess some people don't value their lives and trust that poachers are "extra safe" since they are already committing a crime...<G>

If anyone's firing a gun into the woods at cans, animals, whatever, and they miss, it could go through the brush and hit someone they did not see on the other side-- which in this case, orange would not have helped.

I know a lot more about firearms than you probably think I do. I have also taken hunter safety, and I know there are many people out there who can pass tests yet fail to exercise what they have learned. In fact, some states do not require people over a certain age to have passed a hunter safety course to get their hunting permit.

I know of three cases where people have been killed in hunting accidents.

1. My grandfather's brother was killed by another hunter, while hunting...

2. My brother's friends friend was killed in a hunting accident.

3. My brother's friend's son's friend was killed in a hunting accident.

So basically you are saying that there has to be previous instances to prove that you should practice being safe at all times when in the woods. I guess some people don't value their lives and trust that poachers are "extra safe" since they are already committing a crime...<G>

No, I'm NOT saying that. Way to dodge the challenge, BTW. :unsure:

I'm agreeing with most of what you are saying - except...I don't see the problem to be as widespread as you are implying. And I don't see it as reason for alarm.

You could plan your safety measures on every possibility, and it would make going outside your bed nigh impossible. If I see that a perceived danger is rare to nonexistent (as in being accidentally shot by a poacher), I might think about it on rare occaision, but it won't change much about how I spend my day.

-ST

When caching during hunting season, and all the hunters are standing around in camo clothing, inconspicuosly behind trees, would the best way to go about this for an animal lover be by being loud and trying to keep the hunter's prey at a distance?

(Ducking)

Noh Funpuns

If you are seeing hunters in camo, it is mostly likely archary season, which some states do allow hunters to wear all camo during bow season. Bow season seems a bit safer and less accident prone, but it would be a good measure as a hiker to at least where some blaze orange just to make yourself noticable....

Also you all have some great input on this thread, and I agree with the statement from above about the hunter safety corses, they are a great intro to common sense about hunting but you really need to a have a good feild exp. to become a good hunter...Its not just having a good aim...

Fortunatly for me as a hiker I grew up in a family where both parents hunt and teach safety corses....

I think people are reading a whole lot more into this than is being said. Shooting accidents generaly happen to people who put themselves into bad positions. Poachers are generally far and few between. Most accidents occur during loading and unloading of weapons, not during the hunt. It's during the regular seasons when the large number of hunters are in the woods that I would be concerned. Check the statistics. Your chances are greater of getting injured driving to the hunting area than getting shot in the woods IF you act responsibly.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/education/hrsi/index.asp