How Do You Get To Hydrocaches?

Bloencustoms

After a close call with an alligator on a hydrocache

You are a better GC'r than I! ;) I don't have the pleasure of seeing those in New England... thank God!

The only hydro cache that I know of in my area requires a canoe & enough time to paddle 2 miles (4 round trip). I'm thinking of renting a simple canoe or kayak as I don't get to boat much... But if I do - I use a canoe.

Hehe, here in Louisiana, you might see an alligator occasionally. It really isn't too much to worry about, as most of them aren't looking to eat something as big as a human. They usually shy away from people, except in areas with swamp tour boats passing through. The tour boats frequently toss hot dogs into the water to attract the creatures for the tourist's enjoyment. Unfortunately, the alligators then associate people with food. ;):P The one I encountered happened to appear between me, and the place where I put in. It was a narrow bayou, and there really was no other way to go, so I just paddled on, and he disappeared only to pop up on the other side of me. I couldn't help but think that there was only a thin layer of rubber separating my butt from the water. So, off to the sporting goods store for a kayak. I thought about geting a canoe, but I liked the fact that the sit on top kayaks are completely sealed, and easy to re-enter in the event of a capsize.

As a side note, what do you guys bring with you in the boat besides your normal caching and safety equipment?

DSCN2928.JPG

A bit extreme maybe. (At least when compared to kayaks and the like) Her name's Old 'n' Slo. I also have a 7.5' Livingston used with oars or an electric trolling motor for shallow waters.

I haven't found or hidden any hydrocaches... yet. I have a hide in mind, and just might do it within the next couple of months. She has a heater in the cabin, so winter's not a problem. The Columbia river is also too big and wide to freeze over.

The only real problem with winter is the water stays about 55 degrees. If the air drops below freezing, it generates lots of fog! I had to get back to a dock one time by using only the GPS. Couldn't see 10 feet in the pea soup! (Like any good Geocacher, she comes equipped with a GPS chartplotter ;) )

Edited by adondo

Am in New England as well. I have a cheap canoe that I bought from Dick's Sporting Goods and a trailer for it that cost more than the canoe. Haven't used it yet to go after a Hydro. Did a Hydro down home (GA/SC) at my in laws (they live on Lake Thurmond/Clarks Hill Lake). Used one of thier Sea-Doo's to go after it. We were thinking of placing a cahce on an island right in front of my in-laws house and having them keep na eye on it. But that was before discussion of long distance caches/vacation caches. Once we go back down there, we may discuss it with the approver there and see what they say.

As of yet there is no way to distinguish hydrocaches (a cache that requires crossing water to reach, by my definition) from other caches besides the five star terrain rating. A boat is considered "special equipment", so the terrain rating becomes five stars. Most caches do a search for five star terrain caches when they are looking for hydros. This usually works, but some people don't rate them a 5, and there are many land based caches with 5 terrain as well.

I have a 23 year old power boat that I use for hydrocaches, but I am thinking of trading it in on a kayak because keeping it running takes too much time away from Geocaching!

485265_200.jpg

This photo was taken on Blake Island in the middle of Puget Sound, which has 3 caches and no ferry service.

433913_200.jpg

In this photo, you can barely see the bouy which had a geocache tied to the anchor chain (the pelican box didn't work too good at the 10 foot depth).

I almost got to rescue the Groundspeak crew once when they ran out of gas on Lake Washington. No lie!

Hey Alan, did you look something like this when you found it???

[Have you guys been diving?  I have been working as an assistant instructor for a shop up here in Oregon and I start my instructor course the beginning of January.

Best way to do a hydro???  Blow bubbles.  :ph34r:

Hi Al!

That is what I looked like when I found it! You took a great picture.

We have been doing a few dives, but not nearly enough. I always want to do more.

When you get your instructors cert., will you give me a good deal on my AOW?

Maybe have class in Maui!

Give M.M. a hug for us!

I built my own favourite hydrocaching vessel:

1642624_200.jpg

I placed 4 hydrocaches and 1 event cache with it last year and picked up a few caches left by others. I'll be placing more hydrocaches as soon as sept1c_tank arrives on my doorstep for some BC paddling adventures. :ph34r:

Edited by Jomarac5

We have used the smallest style "Poke Boats" (http://www.pokeboat.com/) to place and find "hydrocaches" since before that term came in to use. If interested, our Cranberry Osprey Geocache in southwestern Pennsylvania (GCAA3 http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=2723) has been visited by folks with other types of transportation which they describe in their comments. The boats, at 22 pounds and with a 2-inch draft, are easy to haul and go just about anywhere on flat water. Our fiberglass hulls are not much good in white water though. We tried that once and got a small crack in one of the pokeboats.

A 30 year old Grumman, aluminum canoe, because it's all I have.  It's a piece of junk and hopefully I can upgrade soon to a Mad River Explorer, or a We-No-Nah Spirit II.

Amen brother!

I bought my Grumman 2nd (actually 3rd) hand. It was a rental boat in it's former life. I think someone must have wrapped it around a tree because it is asymetrical along the long axis of the boat. Oh yeah, its got lots of JB Weld in strategic places. Who cares, it still floats!

Coincidentally, I'm the one who hid the cache Bloencustoms is referring to. After hiding it with my daughter and young niece, we continued our paddle down the peaceful bayou. That is, until a rather large splash scared the @#$% out of us and brought us back to reality. :D We never saw the alligator, but it sure as hell sounded big. At that point, I decided to go home. I’ve never seen my daughter paddle so fast! :blink:

How do I get to hydro caches.

Well, first creat a thread called Geocaching as an online dating service??. Then I start interviewing prospective candidates, exchange a few e-mails, IM the prospect for a week or two and get references from respectable sources.

After it has been established that this person is not likely to be a mass murderer or serial killer or psycho, I ask this person if they need someone to paddle with.

Once the need is verified; meet up with them, paddle with them, start dating them, have them move in with me and now my issue is resolved.

I have complete and total access to a canoe and canoeing partner.

That's how I get to hydrocaches . . . with Mopar. :lol:

0c15db10-5b63-48f2-945f-3f50c494664a.jpg

315f764f-7f0d-4ed1-9115-a7ae0736fdb9.jpg

Happy caching and stuff!

Edited by Geo Ho
I just walk on the water until I am above the cache........

Yeah, you bet................... :D

Five kayaks in this family of two paddlers. 2 Perception 17' Touring boats, 2 Perception Creekboats, 1 Wavesport Playboat. Haven't done any caches with them yet. I started caching in November and I don't like the sinus rushes from cold water. So I'll be waiting til late spring. B)

Edited by Tiwica