What The Heck Is Going On Here Today?

Whew! Seems more than a few of you are on the war path today, and this little battle is spilling over into EVERYONE'S FORUM SPACE. I don't know exactly what started all this, I don't really care to.

We don't look very mature today, I hate to think of all these relatives showing off Geocaching to their loved ones today and seeing the way SOME of us are behaving. It makes the sport look bad on a day we are pretty likely to see a lot of new (potential) cachers in the forums.

Can everyone take a breath, step back and think of a better way to approach these issues? Have some key-lime pie (before you fat uncle eats it all), boo the Cowboys (or cheer) and hug your sister (I know she is an overbearing nit wit and the sound of her voice is like Lee press on nails on a chalk board but she loves you).

It is Thanksgiving, lets try not to scratch each others eyes out in the forums.

I don't know exactly what started all this

I don't either. I've been canoeing.

We don't look very mature today

We do have our bad days.

It makes the sport look bad on a day we are pretty likely to see a lot of new (potential) cachers in the forums.

At last count there were 23 users online (6:00PM Indianapolis time), and only 11 online an hour ago.

It is Thanksgiving, lets try not to scratch each others eyes out in the forums.

What would the mods do if we didn't?

119047_13700.jpg

What is this topic about, anyway? ;)

Edited by sept1c_tank

Discussion topics which questioned the forum moderation policies were allowed to continue for a day or two with minimal moderator intervention. When the discussion deteriorated into posts which violated the forum conduct guidelines, those threads were locked. One benefit of locking a topic is to allow everyone to take a break. Perhaps the subject can be addressed again sometime in the future, in a manner which is more productive and respectful.

Despite the topics being locked, and after formal warnings were issued, a small group of community members have insisted on opening new threads repeatedly, and making off-topic posts to existing threads, all on the same general subject. The threads are being deleted because their originators did not heed the warnings given to them. They have already demonstrated their inability to keep a discussion on-topic, free from personal attacks, and otherwise in accordance with the forum conduct guidelines.

I would very much like it if everyone could take a break from this type of post. Thank you.

LOL....well I think it might be a censorship / challenge authority issue. From what I've seen it has gone something like this.

USER:

THE MODS S### and I can Prove it. I DARE THEM TO EDIT OR LOCK THIS POST!!!!

MODERATOR:

Post edited / Thread locked at user request.

USER:

See, I told you so.

Would be entertaining if they wheren't closing threads I was TRYING to participate in. Not that I have anything REALLY Intelligent to say, but its fun to try.

What the heck is going on? It's a holiday, and people are taking time away from the mods enjoyment thereof. While most of us are eating turkey and sipping wine, a few volunteers take time out from their families to make sure the forums are civil.

Happy Thanksgiving :)

Its no holiday where we are. ;) In fact, I'm sitting in my office right now contemplating the fact that I have to work late tonight. For the rest of the world, today is just another work day with no special significance. According to SWMBO, we're having burgers for dinner tonight. :P

Happy Thanksgiving to our neighbours to the south. And a very special Happy Turkey Day to the mods.

What is going on today, is what goes on everyday in here. You have a few rebels that are trying to outwit the Mods. These people are bent on self destruction. My question is...why dosen't the Admins shoot a few to set an example for the rest. It would be a lot better than handing out warnings.

Who cares if these few familar names are never heard from again? There are thousands more of us who would like to have a positive civil discussion without having to read the negative posts of these people. I understand that people have different takes on things, but these people never have anything positive to post.

There is nothing wrong with someone disagreeing with something. It's what makes us individuals. However you can disagree in a positive way. Not take every subject and turn it into a personal battleground.

I, like many others are on the verge of giving up the fourms. Let them have it. We'll go somewhere else.

El Diablo

El Diablo,

I'm with you. I took a week or so off from the forums and then they were down for another week after I was ready to come back. One of the things that really drew me to caching when I started was the friendliness of the cachers that I met at a local meeting/picnic. The forums haven't been like that. It's a shame. Of course there are good threads with people who are looking for help actually getting it, but the signal to noise ratio is not where it should be.

The reason the mods have to be the way they are is because of those participants that want to stir the pot. A lot of the ones doing the most complaining are also the ones that caused this to happen in the first place. There are some exceptions obviously. As I stated in a post several weeks ago, "can't we all just get along?"

In no other forum that I participate in is there such problems as there are here. Even in unmoderated forums there are no problems. There's something about this place that makes people crazy, and it's not cool. ;)

Edited by mrkablooey
One of the things that really drew me to caching when I started was the friendliness of the cachers that I met at a local meeting/picnic. The forums haven't been like that. It's a shame. Of course there are good threads with people who are looking for help actually getting it, but the signal to noise ratio is not where it should be.

There's something about this place that makes people crazy, and it's not cool. ;)

You hit on 2 things that I have been talking about for months.

This was/should be like an online event cache.

Event caches are my favorite part of all in this activity.

How many events would you go to if you got warned, or booted, for not talking about geocaching THE WHOLE DARN TIME?!

I've made some real friends here. There are things that I would like to discuss with fellow geocachers, in a forum format, that don't don't always pertain to the activity itself. It's a way to get to know eachother better.

The fact that TPTB don't/won't validate that aspect is what's not cool. It drives some people to pound their head against the wall. Me? I post less and less. :)

My gc.com approval rating; 95% :P

There's something about this place that makes people crazy, and it's not cool. :P

It's like the "Mystery Spot" tourist trap you see on the side of the road while on vacation, some paranormal confluence on the Earth that makes people crazy when they stand in a certain spot, where the laws of Nature and Physics are bent out of shape and cannot be explained.

For the first couple of days after we got the Forums back, everyone seemed to be nice again. I thought I would sneak back in and try to make a fresh start here. During the last couple of days it seems like a few individuals have been causing quite a stir. Maybe trying El Diablos suggestion would work, I don't know. Seems like if they keep teasing the pit bull...they had better be ready for the bite... ;)

The problem will NEVER be resolved. If you are a rebel, you will never see the results you are looking for.

If you are a MOD, you will never gain complete control.

If you are a simple user and want peace, you will never see it.

We are dealing with implimistic people (we all are) with idealist attitudes, and the great lady holding the balance while blindfolded will eventually throw away her balance and say, "The heck with this, I've had enough!" As we all have in some way or another.

I'm impressed by, no, I'm entertained by the actions here on the forums of late.

Eagerly awaiting the outcome.

This potato salad would be a great item to sling.

I guess I will refrain from posting anymore for let's say a month while keeping tabs on the fun that still hasn't changed since the *uprising*.

Hee Hee! Happy Thanksgiving to all> Talk to you maybe sometime next month.

Edited by opey one
One of the things that really drew me to caching when I started was the friendliness of the cachers that I met at a local meeting/picnic. The forums haven't been like that. It's a shame.

Cache events are face-to-face. No one is going to be openly rude to anyone, they might get popped right there on the spot. It's a different story when it is just letters on the screen, but it is still no excuse to throw common courtesy out the window. (No one needs to remind me of my guilt in the past, I know what I did and said, but I AM trying to be better. Thank you.)

I am absolutely appalled by the behavior I have seen by some users in the forums these last few days. There is a small group of organized individuals that wish to turn these forums into their own personal playground. This will stop now.

In the past, the forums existed much like the wild west, and there was no need for moderation. As the forums have grown and the number of users, more moderation has been necessary to keep civil discussions civil.

Unfortunately there are a few ankle biters - those who contribute absolutely nothing to discussions but try and twist them to their own means, or derail them completely. The mods have been valiantly asking politely, pleading and have been nothing but patient with these folks. In return they are ridiculed, ignored, and their words twisted through innuendo.

Geocaching is supposed to be fun, people. This forum was created for friendly discussion, not confrontation and malice.

The wild west is over and you cannot act the way you used to. This behavior will no longer be tolerated. Grow up and find something more constructive to do.