Target Has Etrex On Sale

wanda texas

i see target has the etrex on sale tomoorow for 80...

i have read good things on it as to get started with them....

questions......

----can u use one WITHOUT a computer??..i do not have a computer...

-----i believe the packaging said something to the effect 500 waypoints and one route can be stored??...what does that mean???

----can i put in the longitude lattitudes by hand to find caches??..and will i have to put each one in by hand after deleting the previous one???....

-----one more repeated question (no doubt)..if i took a trip from say texas to arizona and put in the longitude and lattitude for destination would it take me straight to the spot with all the twists and turns...(just a curious question on this one--probably not since it is on the low end of bells and whistles)

questions questions questions!!!!!

thanks for ur help.....i must go dig out my armor to fight the crazed people at target tomorrow .......

wanda texas

HAPPY GOBBLE GOBBLE DAY

1) Yes! a computer interface is useful to store your waypoints, tracks and routes on the computer, or to download them from the computer to the GPS, but is not necessary. The eTrex is a totally stand-alone unit.

2) A waypoint is a location of which you save the coordinates in your GPS. Then you may ask the GPS to navigate to this point (GOTO function) so that it tells you the distance and the direction of that point with respect of where you are in that moment.

To find a geocache in fact you save its coords in the GPS and then navigate towards it with a goto.

A route is series of waypoint you decide to navigate in a given order, is like a "multi goto". When you arrive at the first one, the GPS automatically switches to a goto toewards the next one and so on. You build a route from waypoints you saved in the GPS. In the eTrex a route may have up to 50 wp.

3) yes. You mark a waypoint where you are and then manually edit it, altering its coordinate on the screen.

You don't need to delete the previous one to put in the next. any geocache is entered as a Waypoint. Until you fill up the 500 you have at your disposal, you don't need to delete the others. If you plan to get 3 caches on that particular trip, simply create 3 waypoints, with the coords of the caches and their names.

4) No, to do so you need a mapping software that "knows" which roads exist from your starting point to your arrival. This means that you will need at least a mapping software on a computer and the cable to download the route the mapping software computes to the GPS. If you want to have the actual map on the GPS you will need a higher level GPS also, and the proprietary (garmin in this case) mapping software.

What the eTrex can do is simply to tell you the point is at tot km in that direction.

;) If you don't mind going up a little in cost the E-Trex Legnd is excellent for Geocaching with, 1000 user way points, 10000 active waypoints,125 user waypoints per route, 750 active tracklogs, plus it comes with basemaps of North and South America and , a data cable for computer download. I am new at this and E-trex Legend really put me in the game. Jeff24

wanda, I received an e-Trex for my birthday and wasn't happy with the instruction booklet. It is vague when describing how to enter a lat/long waypoint for a cache you want to find. I found the instructions on the margin notes of a page, not in the text. In order to enter a cache waypoint, mark a waypoint where you are, then, when it says "OK?" go down to the lat/long and change the numbers to those of the cache and rename the cache, then save. You can save many cache waypoints at a time and do not have to do one at a time; but you do have to enter one at a time. I have found 6 caches without a GPSr, 12 with a borrowed unit. I got mine in September, and it has served me through another fifteen. My husband now wants one that has more features than mine, but I like mine just fine.

Not to push your budget or anything, but I might suggest saving for a better model like the Legend or above. I started out with a Etrex camo, and then decided to upgrade after seeing the Legend on ebay new for almost the same price I paid for basic model at Wal-Mart. You may or may not be interested in the features, but I sure like the Legend a lot better. I use my GPSr for ham related activities, and just to monkey around with (in the bathtub-is that wrong? ;) might be a subject for another thread).... anyway, short ramble. I guess that what I am trying to say is, that if you feel that you will be in a sport for a while, get the best equipment that you can afford and you won't regret it down the line. My bicycle costs more than my car but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I guess that what I am trying to say is, that if you feel that you will be in a sport for a while, get the best equipment that you can afford and you won't regret it down the line. My bicycle costs more than my car but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

We've been using an eTrex yellow for a year and a half of caching and we like it just fine. The computer cable is one of the big reasons to choose a slightly more expensive unit; every model but the yellow comes with a cable so you can download waypoints, plus the more expensive GPS's will have extra features like mapping capability or an electronic compass. We really haven't felt the lack of these things, though we did buy a data cable eventually because entering waypoints by hand gets a little tedious. Not really an issue if you have no computer, though!

The yellow is a fine GPS, and will serve you just as well as anything else out there. I don't think buying a pricier GPS results in anything like the difference between a bicycle and a car; more expensive units may have bells and whistles that may make them cushier than the yellow, but you won't get to the cache any faster, or with much less effort, by spending more money. No built-in maps? We've got paper maps. No electronic compass? We have a compass. No WAAS? Can't get the satellites anyway in most places. I'm not saying those features wouldn't be convenient, but if you're on a budget, don't have a computer, and see a brand-new $80 yellow.... I'd jump at it.

We have two of the yellow etrex (and a Sportrak Pro). They are priced right and work great.

I found them to be very easy to load by hand. You can always buy a cable later.

If you need a map. print it off the web page before you head out.

I say go for it.

Edited by GeoSharks

Perhaps this thread should be in the GPS units forum.

Many Wal-Mart stores in my area have stopped carrying anything related to GPSr's, and no one can tell me why. They were all clearanced out of the store. I picked up three SporTrak Pro's @ $157 each (before the rebate).

I must ask the original poster HOW they posted to this forum without a computer?

;)

You only need access to the internet in order to get the waypoints (coordinates)from the Geocaching.com site. Once you've attained the coords, you are pretty much done with 'needing' a computer. I download all the coords directly to the receiver using my PC cable, but I also print the cache page and keep it with me during the hunt. Many times there are instructions that would be all to easy to forget once I've arrived miles from home. And, it has happened that I've needed to start the machine up from scratch (initialize) in the field, which has cleared the memory. Having the paper as a backup has saved a lot of grief.

I have both the Garmin eTrex camo and Magellan Meridian. They are not the top-of-the-line units by any respect, but both get the job done. I tend to rely on the Meridian more because of the extra features, but it is bulkier.

A basic unit will satisfy your needs for Geocaching, but more features can really come in handy once in a while. I would say that you should buy the best unit you can afford, saving a couple dozen (or more) dollars for a good compass to complement it. Prices are coming down on many units, so it may pay to wait and shop.

Well, I certainly appreciate the extra memory in my Legend and the ability to load local maps, as I stated, I use the GPSr for more than just geocaching. My point was get the best you can in the beginning, and you won't be dissapointed with any shortcomings after the money is spent. Using my GPSr in an unfamiliar location and having accurate maps just gives me one more use for the unit thus justifying the extra 10$ i spent. If all a person were going to use the reciever for is geocaching, then anything will work, I'd imagine, including an older used unit. For that extra 10 dollars, I also got a computer cable. A resourceful person could find a computer cheap to free given some effort.. Oh, and my point about my bike.. I'm proud of it.. it works nicely. ;)

side note: 80 bucks? In reflection, I'd have to admit that's hard to pass up.

Edited by escarg0t

Spend the extra money and get at least a Legend if you want. The money that you will spend on fuel for your car or truck or whatever transportation you take that uses gasoline or diesel or whatever, is probably going to end up being 100's and 100's of dollars more in the long run anyway. My Legend was 150$ on e-bay and since september this year I've spent at least that much on gas already.

I have an eTrex Legend, and love it. However, I just bought my wife the eTrex (Yellow) at Target because of the price. It is nice to have the one with more features, but once it is programmed to a point (either via computer or punched in), they work about the same.

Only problem is, she is not walking with me, but 200 yards in front of me headed for the FIND!

Bozz

P.S. - I say go for it, the Yellow eTrex is a good, solid, basic unit that will get you to the caches. But, if you can afford to spend 50% more, get the Legend (or any other sub-$200 GPS that you like.

It really depends on how much you're going to be using it. If you're like me, 3 or 4 caches a week IF time permits, then anything is fine, including the yellow. If you can't go for a few hours without a cache fix then the more expensive models become more worthwhile since you can load them up with waypoints and always be able to cache on a moment's whim. I personally feel that paper street maps are a more detailed medium and a good investment. There have been times I would have liked a topo map, but I console myself by saying that being 1/2 lost is part of the charm of the game. :D

Oh, and I've seen a webtv. It's not bad. Not what I would use (low-res) but not bad.

I make a few extra bucks helping out on my days off with a family owned business that decorates events. After the events are over we go in and take all of our decorations down. Most of these events are over 200 people in size with plenty of smokers.

I do appreciate it that many of the smokers smoked Marlboro because they left behind their empty packs with the miles on them. Those Marlboro miles can be redeemed for merchandise in their catalog. I got a Garmin Etrex for $25.00. The GPS was premium merchandise so it required miles and cash, but for twenty-five bucks I got a deal.

However, if I saved all those miles myself instead of getting them from discarded cigarette packs I probably could have bought one of the 24 satellites instead of a GPS receiver ;)

Anyway, I like the Etrex. I don't have to worry about it getting wet like my GPSr that I had for my PDA. I had a Magellan module for my Handspring Visor Deluxe. I really liked how the Magellan would lock-on to the satellite signals even indoors, so I would probably really like a stand-alone Magellan better than the Garmin Etrex if they are all as good at maintaining a signal lock as that PDA module I had.

I've been playing with that tiny Etrex getting to know the features. If I had to manually enter a bunch of waypoints I probably would get a cable and use a PC. Entering the coordinates of a cache or two that you are going out to look for takes about five minutes after one gets familiar with the buttons. If I was going to hit 20 places on an outing that would give me something to do in the bathtub with the GPSr. :D

If you are a techie you will want the extra junk. If you are a most-for-your-money person you still want the extra junk . . . er . . . features. But ya gotta start somewhere and the Etrex works miracles as compared to not having anything.

Edited by muttz

Hi. The eTrex was for a holiday gift, and I was suprised to see Gart selling it for the same price as online retailers. Paying sales tax was a little more than shipping would have been, but having it right away was worth it.

Guys at work have various eTrex models, and other even simpler units. Extra junk, err I mean 'features', is important to me so my personal unit is a GPSMAP76S :-)

Later,

Bob

I also got an ETrex yellow from my dirty habit of smoking. For $25, I obviously couldn't pass it up. I use a Magellan SporTrak Pro, so the ETrex is in the hands of my 11yr old son, and now he usually beats me to the cache!! dadgum youth!! It's a very basic unit, but I'm impressed with it's accuracy, and it's more than adequate for caching. It's always as close as my Pro, and actually the backtrack feature is a little better than my Pro's. Gotta get me a PC cable for it though...inputting anything more than 3-4 cache locations does get a bit tedious.