So What Can We Talk About???

Jomarac5

I'm watching as thread after thread is closed and wondering, what can we talk about that is not going to get deleted, edited or closed? And if you can get past all of that, chances are you're going to get scolded for not saying what you want to say in the most innoculous manner possible -- heaven help you if you get the slightest bit passionate about what's on your mind -- you'll be slapped with a warning (the online equivalent of standing in the corner).

What can we talk about? If we're told that the answer is caching (which I suspect it will be), then let us talk about and discuss the things that are related to it.

So come on -- deleting, editing, closing, and scolding is not doing anything but getting everyone frustrated and afraid to speak about caching, much less anything else. This is a social activity -- do you really think that stiffling everyone is doing anything positive to further this activity?

I think it all comes down to the social aspect of caching -- and this has been brought up several times in the past -- what are these forums really about if not a social venue to discuss whatever the topic of the day is amongst those who share a similar attraction to this activity? This should be especially true in the non-specific 'General' Forum.

Don't forget not to discuss things that have already been discussed before. It appears that is now grounds for locking a thread as well. Is there anything we can talk about that is related to geocaching that has never been discussed before? Please help me understand how new thread suggesting the creation of an off-topic forum can be shut down within minutes yet a totally off-topic, thinly disguised thread about breasts is permitted? While it does not seem to be written in The Guidelines, it appears that even on-topic threads that moderators don't want freely discussed are now subject to immediate closure. I bet this thread is locked almost immediately... ;)

Sorry, Criminal, I don't mean to pick on your thread, nor do I disagree with its existance - it just happened to be near the top of the list.

Tea is not bad, but I prefer a good cup of coffee in the morning. In the evening, a nice glass of merlot or a pint of Guinness. Speaking of Guinness, I wish I knew about geocaching a couple of years ago, when traveling around Ireland -- wow, what a place that would have been for cache hiding and hunting !

Happy Thanksgiving everyone

To the contrary, I'm getting fan mail from folks who are appreciative of the moderators' efforts to keep the noise level down. The forums are not any particular person's or group of people's personal playground to talk about whatever they wish, or to talk about the same beaten dead horse over and over again. There is a vast silent majority out there who are tired of reading these complaints repeatedly, or who have quit coming to the forums all together because of the negativity and fear of being jumped upon.... and not by the moderators, either.

Re-opening a new thread on the same subject immediately after prior threads have been closed is contrary to the forum guidelines. Please respect the judgment of the moderators, even if you disagree with it. Take a break from this topic. Go talk about geocaching. Better yet, go geocaching! Closing this thread.

To the contrary, I'm getting fan mail from folks who are appreciative of the moderators' efforts to keep the noise level down.  The forums are not any particular person's or group of people's personal playground to talk about whatever they wish, or to talk about the same beaten dead horse over and over again.  There is a vast silent majority out there who are tired of reading these complaints repeatedly, or who have quit coming to the forums all together because of the negativity and fear of being jumped upon.... and not by the moderators, either.

Re-opening a new thread on the same subject immediately after prior threads have been closed is contrary to the forum guidelines.  Please respect the judgment of the moderators, even if you disagree with it.  Take a break from this topic.  Go talk about geocaching. Better yet, go geocaching!  Closing this thread.

I guess all those fans who sent the mail are now gone? The forums have become a playground for a select few to talk about whatever they wish. Take a look at the number of nonsense threads that populate the forums. Here's a selection of some that would have been closed immediately if not for the double standards that govern the forums:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=81262

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=79809

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=80867

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=81773

The above examples are prime, well, examples of noise in the forums. They just haven't been shut down simply because the moderators have chosen to participate in them. Jeremy needs help getting dressed? Holy crap! How many frickin' toadies will volunteer to tie his shoes?

Personally, I think Keystone -in either one of his persona's -contributes the vast majority of the forum noise but I guess that since he can see Mopar's shoes we allow it. Sad.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

For fear of contributing to this seemingly pointless dialog, I hesitate to state my two bits, but frankly, I can't resist.

I think that, the moderators take a lot of crap for doing a tough job that needs to be done because there are lot of us on here that take these forums into meaningless or hurtful directions that would be better served (if at all) in any number of other chat rooms on the web that are not topic specific like geocaching.

Three cheers for the moderators!

That being said, there are a couple moderators that IMHO hold the reigns to tight. But, since I am not volunteering for the job, I don's see it as my place to complain, at least in public about it.

what are these forums really about if not a social venue to discuss whatever the topic of the day is amongst those who share a similar attraction to this activity? 

I think you want the "Off Topic" forum! B) I guess what it boils down to is: When you're paying for the boards & servers, you can make the rules. Until then... :lol:

To the contrary, I'm getting fan mail from folks who are appreciative of the moderators' efforts to keep the noise level down.

I wouldn't put too much stock in that, if I were you. I get fan mail whenever I'm a pain in the tail. And, sadly, there are always more human beings willing to suck up to authority than to anti-authority.

How was that first and last example "noise?". The first was in GENERAL topics - it dealt with an individual who has been missing from the forums, and this concerned thier fellow geocachers.

The last was a request for rain weather gear recommendations - I like to cache in the rain sometimes, and where Jeremy is there is a considerable amount of it. Why NOT ask for such information?

The other two posts might have been better suited to the Off Topic forum, but they weren't posted there. OH WELL. It is still teh GENERAL forum. There are forums specific to certain purposes. The Off Topic forum deals with COMPLETELY unrelated postings. The GENERAL forum is for everything else that is not addressed by the other specific forums, is it not?

Quit trying to be somebody by ruffling your anonymous feathers in some kind of self-righteous indignation. And kiss your sock puppet account 'buh-bye'.

And, sadly, there are always more human beings willing to suck up to authority than to anti-authority.

At this risk of taking this very old thread off-topic, I wonder why that is.

Is it whatever group has the authority and some people just suck up to the authority?

Does it have nothing to do with the people that have the authority other than the fact than they have authority?

Not trying to make a point just wondering why people think that occurs.

Yes and people don't like sockpuppets either. Use your real identity please.

Also there are some who can figure out who you really are even if I cannot.

I'll bet many people don't like those who try to stir the pot also.

Please take your "belly"ache somewhere else.

He can't use his real identity. He's Jomarac5 and he's been banned. While he's here he rarely has anything postitive to say . You can often see him spilling his bile on other geocaching forums.

At this risk of taking this very old thread off-topic, I wonder why that is.

Is it whatever group has the authority and some people just suck up to the authority?

And why is it that some people will rebel for the sake of rebellion; who offer nothing positive or constructive and only cause mischief and look to tear down?

Edited by briansnat
I guess all those fans who sent the mail are now gone? The forums have become a playground for a select few to talk about whatever they wish. Take a look at the number of nonsense threads that populate the forums. Here's a selection of some that would have been closed immediately if not for the double standards that govern the forums:

So, not only are you God, who decides that rain gear and caching are somehow unrelated, but you are...

No, wait, I'd better ask a question first. Hypothetically speaking, if a person were not a real person, but only a sock puppet, would using a word like mo*** be oK?

To the contrary, I'm getting fan mail from folks who are appreciative of the moderators' efforts to keep the noise level down. The forums are not any particular person's or group of people's personal playground to talk about whatever they wish, or to talk about the same beaten dead horse over and over again. There is a vast silent majority out there who are tired of reading these complaints repeatedly, or who have quit coming to the forums all together because of the negativity and fear of being jumped upon.... and not by the moderators, either.

Re-opening a new thread on the same subject immediately after prior threads have been closed is contrary to the forum guidelines. Please respect the judgment of the moderators, even if you disagree with it. Take a break from this topic. Go talk about geocaching. Better yet, go geocaching! Closing this thread.

See my post above, which closed this thread nearly one year ago. Re-opening a closed thread is contrary to our Forum Guidelines.

Note: only the topic originator or a moderator may re-open a closed forum thread.