Geocache Poi's For Tomtom Navigator 2

Team Tate

Er.... we've been able to do that on GUK for a while!

Although not by category I'll admit!

Seasider

Having just downloaded the file, it appears that this gives you the specific icons, such as virtual, traditional, multi, unknown etc.... This is useful, however were do I download a file that gives me the information broken down by the above categories ? If I use GC:UKs' function, all I get is hidden, found or not found ?

Cheers, Mike

Er.... we've been able to do that on GUK for a while!

Although not by category I'll admit!

Seasider

Having just downloaded the file, it appears that this gives you the specific icons, such as virtual, traditional, multi, unknown etc.... This is useful, however were do I download a file that gives me the information broken down by the above categories ? If I use GC:UKs' function, all I get is hidden, found or not found ?

Cheers, Mike

Had not tried the link - did not realise it was icons only.

It would certainly be a useful feature when planning cache trips - especially if Memory Map icons could also be made specific in this way! :(

Guess it's over to Team Tate and the boys from GUK to tell us how! :D

Seasider

I could certainly break down the caches by type and include Team Tate's icons (if they're willing).

Question is what to do about found/notfound/placed categories. Would people prefer a choice (eg either download them by type, or by whether found), or would you prefer to tint the type icons red/blue/green and have both bits of information in the same download? If we went for the combined file, that could mean up to fifteen poi files being in the zip file from G:UK. I've never used Tomtom - can you deal easily with blocks of POI files, or do you have to do something to each individual file to get them to display (could get very tedious)?

I am pleased to announce that TomTom users can now download caches as Points of Interest for use in their Navigator 2 application.

Should this file have included the .ov2 files as well as the bitmaps? I'd assumed it was just meant to be a file of icons, but having re-read your website, it gives a "data current date", which suggests the cache locations should have been in there too (I'd expect about 60KB of zip file).

I could certainly break down the caches by type and include Team Tate's icons (if they're willing).

Question is what to do about found/notfound/placed categories. Would people prefer a choice (eg either download them by type, or by whether found), or would you prefer to tint the type icons red/blue/green and have both bits of information in the same download? If we went for the combined file, that could mean up to fifteen poi files being in the zip file from G:UK. I've never used Tomtom - can you deal easily with blocks of POI files, or do you have to do something to each individual file to get them to display (could get very tedious)?

Hi Ian,

It makes no difference how many files and icon you have in TomTom :-)

All you do is copy the whole lot to the correct directory on you PDA and TomTom picks them up, but as you are already aware, the file and image must have exactly the same name.

I think it would be nice to have all the different types shown as icons, but it is not necessary.

It depends how much work it would cause you to set it up, my personal opinion is there are more pressing things that need to be hicher up your list :-)

WoodSmoke

I am pleased to announce that TomTom users can now download caches as Points of Interest for use in their Navigator 2 application.

Should this file have included the .ov2 files as well as the bitmaps? I'd assumed it was just meant to be a file of icons, but having re-read your website, it gives a "data current date", which suggests the cache locations should have been in there too (I'd expect about 60KB of zip file).

I'm on holiday atm, but when I get back I'll check it all out for you :-)

WoodSmoke

I didn't expect this much debate over something so trivial. I will admit that I am not a big user of the G:UK website, and I did not know you could download 0V2 files. I do now!

No problem for me - the zip file took the best part of an hour to create (a completely manual process), so it is nice to know I can get these now at the click of a button.

The main reason why I created the files was so that I could see at a glance on my TomTom map (alerted using a POI alert system) if I was in the vicinty of any caches as I was driving along.

I did not intend to start off any debates as to the best way to present these files and who should 'own' the ability to create them, or the format they should take. I just thought other users might find them useful.

Enough said by me (but I'm sure someone out there will want the last word). Call my cynical if you will, but now I can understand why so many people no longer read these forums.

Bob

No problem for me - the zip file took the best part of an hour to create (a completely manual process), so it is nice to know I can get these now at the click of a button.

Call me daft if you like, but the file I downloaded from your webite contained only a few icons and no data.

Maybe you didn't include the data for where the caches are? Or am I missing something?

I didn't expect this much debate over something so trivial. I will admit that I am not a big user of the G:UK website, and I did not know you could download 0V2 files. I do now!

The main reason why I created the files was so that I could see at a glance on my TomTom map (alerted using a POI alert system) if I was in the vicinty of any caches as I was driving along.

I did not intend to start off any debates as to the best way to present these files and who should 'own' the ability to create them, or the format they should take. I just thought other users might find them useful.

Enough said by me (but I'm sure someone out there will want the last word). Call my cynical if you will, but now I can understand why so many people no longer read these forums.

Bob

I don't understand your attitiude in your message?

Those of us who use TomTom extensively for exactly the reasons you state, have spent lots of time tweaking the GUK downloads so that they provide what the users want.

Your idea with different icons just gave us another idea for improvement, so we discussed it......which is funny cos isnt that what forums are for??

I also use a POI alert system GPS Assist, as well as using it for caches you can use it to alert for speed cameras, and lots of other stuff. POIs for all over the world are available from here

Pocket GPS

WoodSmoke