Receive Pqs Throught Yahoo Mail?

apollo08

I have been having trouble receiving my PQs. I have submitted well jover 25 and have only received 2. I tried putting in my work email address in the ALT slot and have received everyone I have requested with my work address. I have YAHOO (prodigy.net) as my home email ISP and do not receive any. Has anyone else had problems with YAHOO mail? It has nothing to do with the size of my mailbox, I am only using 2% of my 25MB capacity.

Since they come to your work address, we know that the queries are properly constructed and that the problem is not on Groundspeak's end. (Sometimes, PQ's get backed up, and if yours is assigned a low priority, it just never gets processed before it's time for the next day's batch.)

I am guessing that the problem might be with the spam filter feature of either your ISP or Yahoo! mail. It is quite likely that the address that sends out the PQ's is flagged as a "bulk sender." (I assume you peeked in the "Bulk Items" folder of your Yahoo! mailbox.) Check your spam filter settings and contact your ISP if necessary. This is a known problem for Hotmail accounts.

One other suggestion is to order the files in zipped format if you are not doing this already.

Is there a limit to the size of incoming email??

As a test you might trying running a PQ thats very small (like all new caches this week or all 4/4 and higher in the area... just anything that would come out with only a couple dozen caches or less).

Or maybe zipping it, like KA suggests, would do the same ?

I use Yahoo (http://mail.yahoo.com) as my geocaching email and have not had any problems receiving my PQ's each week. I do check my 'bulk mail' folder occasionally as I have found some things have been filtered in there.

You have some sort of filter setup to delete your spam or do you have it setup to filter it into a temporary holding (ie bulk) folder that you can do a 'search and destroy' occasionally?

So far I have tried everything. The PQs are not appearing in my bulk mail folder either. I always specify zip format and I have tried very small PQs. In fact the only two that I ever received at YAHOO were PQs for 20. I contacted YAHOO online chat and the only thing they could come up with was that they were experiencing a latency mail problem, meaning there is a delay in routing incoming mail quickly to client mailboxes. If this was the problem then I would have eventually received the PQs which I did not. I will have to investigate the spam filtering as I have never set this up. Thanks for the suggestions.

Yup, there is some delay on the Yahoo mail - I've not received things 'til the next day (ie a cache find). I don't 'zip' my PQ's and even with it set at 100km it's still only 516kb.

Have you tried setting up a new PQ ? I've occasionally setup ones and been frustrated that they didn't work and then have gone back and discovered that I've forgotten to check off something (whoops!) or checked off too much. :ph34r: I usually give it about 24 hrs for the "order" to go through.

To make double sure you get it sooner than later, pick the day before and the day after the day you create it. Depending on your time zone it may be different from pacific time.

Also, pick an email that is not hotmail or yahoo. They are both notoriously slow. We can only give you a time it leaves us. What your mail provider does with it after it is received can be a mystery.

Thanks for everyones suggestions. I now consider this matter closed as I found the problem to be the SPAM filtering on YAHOO. I never set this up because I rarely go through another ISP to access my mail. When I did that I looked in my Trash folder and found that the PQs had been going there. The Trash folder did not show that there were any files in it until I opened it up and there they were. I do not see this Trash folder when I log directly onto YAHOO and check my mail. I do not know why YAHOO was trashing GEOcache's mail but I set up a filter to direct GC's mail to my inbox. Ever since I did that I have been receiving my PQs