Cache maintenance and modifications...

Captain Morgan

I believe the caches are modified, disabled, maintained, archived and whatnot pretty much equally everywhere. The reason the topics you mentioned aren't updated is probably just because the cachers in other active Nordic countries are having most of the discussion in separate forums. No need to stir up any national controversies on this topic, IMO.

We haven't had any forum to talk about this before, and the normal procedure is that you write in your log that the cache need a new logbook or is wet... Things like that.

So, look at which caches you want to take, and read the logs...

In Stockholm are there a couple of hundreds caches within 25 km from the city!!

... procedure is that you write in your log that the cache need a new logbook or is wet... Things like that.

So, look at which caches you want to take, and read the logs...

Tend to agree with 'hedberg' on this one. The caches I've seen in DK and in S have mostly been quite well maintained.

In DK we have our own forum - yes - but status and maintenance of each and every geocache in Denmark is not a topic. IMHO I don't really see the need for redundant bookkeeping as regards status and maintenance.

If something about a geocache in my view calls for urgent attention I send an e-mail (in which I elaborate over its condition or whatever ...) to the owner after my visit.

In Finland the modification thread has been very useful and i belive it would be useful also in other Nordic countries. Think about the situation that you have downloaded the waypoints of all caches that you have not found yet, to your GPSr. Then next month you go for example to Göteborg and start searching caches there. Would you really browse through all those Göteborg area cache pages and check if their coordinates have changed? I doubt, or then you have a lot of extra time :(

Here in Finland we can check the Finnish modification thread to see if something has happened to caches in some area. It's really useful to know if for example the coordinates have changed a little, so you can fix the coordinates in your GPSr.

Edited by Captain_Morgan&Family

Hedberg wrote:

>So, look at which caches you want to take, and read the logs...

>

>In Stockholm are there a couple of hundreds caches within 25 km

>from the city!!

That's the problem. It takes he** of a lot time to browse through all of them and read the logs... But if the people tell in these modification threads that this and that cache in some area is temporarily disabled and will be back next weekend, or that the coordinates of this and that cache have changed a little, it would save a lot of time.

Exactly. The procedure ArktiS mentioned of emailing the cache owner about urgent need of maintenance happens already when you log your visit to the cache page. The modification reports are for the other people who don't necessarily have all the caches of certain area in their watch list.

I've cached a few times at the capital area, which is about 200 km from my home. I have the most waypoints of the area already downloaded to my GPSr, and I also have printouts readily made. However, caches evolve: sometimes the coordinates change, sometimes they get disabled, sometimes something other happens. I've already searched for a disabled cache, because I had an old printout with me. At the same trip (cachepedition, as I call them) I found almost 30 other caches. I just didn't have time to check tens of cache pages for possible modifications. If we had had this kind of modification thread, I probably would have remembered that the disabled cache wasn't available, and saved some time by not going to search it.

Let's say I plan a massive cache tour (geocaching only - not other sightseeing) to Gothenburg area for, say, next April (I don't ATM, but hypothetically speaking). Of course I would start planning my trip already now, and download e.g. 300 waypoints to my GPSr - just to be sure to have enough. :( Then, gradually, I start taking printouts (I don't own a PDA or laptop) of the cache pages, and plan my routes arount the area. When the actual trip nears, I just have to browse all the cache pages again and again to check if there are changes or modifications in them. Waste of time, I'd say, if there were a topic, where some friendly active geocachers post their observations of changed cache pages. C'mon, it's just useful in so many ways!

The best thing in that kind of a thread is that no one is obligated to update it. People just post there if they happen to notice some changes. I've benefitted many times from the thread of the Finnish caches, so I feel I need to pass on the good deeds and post there every time I observe a modification somewhere. It's a little trouble, believe me.

Edited by Divine

Now that the cheap airlines like Ryanair persuade geocachers to travel to different countries to do some caching, the better the reasons are to report about the modifications in threads made for that reason.

It would be interesting to know if any foreign cachers have used the modification report threads when planning a trip to some Nordic country.

Have you already downloaded all the waypoints near your resort?

Have you made printouts of those cache pages?

How often do you browse through all those pages again to check if there's something changed there?

Have you found the modification report thread useful? Why/why not?

Wonder if anyone notices this post, the topic of the thread is a bit misleading...

As to the problemwith planning caching trips long time ahead; Download a gpx-file for the area from gc.com (if you are a Premium Member (IMNSHO everyone should be...)), and load it up to Clayjars Watcher or to ClydeE's GSAK, Geocaching Swiss Army Knife. Both of them have an indication telling the 'status' of the cach, its easy to see the last x logs (finds, nofinds, notes).

Before heading out on a long (or large) cache trip I vould advise you to make a doublecheck a night or two before you start, using one or both of the two programs.

hbrx.