Monterey Bay

Just wondering what's become of Terra•Indaga He hasn't found any more caches. I asked Hemlock if I could adopt two of his archived ones.

Please tell me if you know something.

Good job CBN ;) I kind of had my suspicions that Terra was MIA or moved out of the area. He hasn't logged in since September. Adoption would be great. Do you know if any of the containers are still out there?

Aquadyne is another one, but I know he's stationed in Hawaii. He's had to archive a few of his caches because he can't maintain them :P I've been thinking of replanting one of them that went missing.

I'm caching on Sunday

Any must dos that I haven't already done?

Hey CBN,

Misty has been getting rave reviews (by Lazy A). We just got our "secret code" so we'll try and hit it either this weekend or next.

Of course, you could hit a gang of caches out in Fort Ord if you have a Mt bike. Just don't blow out a sidewall like I did going out to Sea Otter Schwag :rolleyes:

OK, I've got a community project here if someone wants to contribute some ideas :rolleyes:

I was reading the CacheCreatures thread about their 100th find cache, and saw lots of references to a night cache up north of us. Well, I bought a bag of Firetacks and was thinking of putting together a night cache in our area too.

What I need is some ideas for:

1. Where to put it (low poison oak area hard to find) with lots of trees.

2. Name the cache.

So far, I could think of a couple of areas that could possibly work with wide trails and/or low poison oak and has a fair number of trees to plant the tacks in. Rip Van Winkle forest was one idea, and down from the Granite Construction entrance to Pebble Beach where you approach Final Destination Cache (very narrow parking however).

For a name I tentatively came up with "Heart of Darkness". I haven't even checked to see if this has been taken or not (wouldn't surprise me if it had).

Edited by Touchstone

How 'bout "Ring of Fire'" for a name? I know, I know I'm going a lil' crazy w/ the Johnny Cash thing, but "Fire" tacks...c'mon. <_<

As far as high tree content w/ minimum P.O., I'd look for a Eucalyptus grove. Hardly anything grows under them. There acorn buttons, and leaves are toxic to most local flora.

There's a bunch of "Eukes" on the rec trail near NPS, but I doubt that's secluded enough.

Just some thoughts <_<

CBN > You must do "Johnny Cache" :rolleyes:

Sorry for that inadvertant adventure Biggeeks :) There should be no PO near the cache; I was extremely careful about that. My wife is extremely allergic to PO and she never lets me forget it.

The approach to the hilltop however, is another matter. Depending on how you approach, you may see very little, to tons of it.

The rating was actually given for the lock picking excersise part of the problem (i.e. specialized skill). I've been considering adding some alternative means of opening the cache (like hiding a key) so people don't get up there and get too frustrated and break a pick in the lock or something else disastrous.

Criminal gave me some hints, however, on getting broken locks off of caches too :)

Oh! and another thing: Jr. T and I can highly recommend Treasure Island II. AquaDyne was gracious enough to let me use large portions of his description in the new cache description. We had tons of fun planting it (had to make about four laps around the island). We did the hour rental, but most people could probably get out there and back in 1/2 hour if they didn't dawdle too much. Best part: no poison oak :) You'll have to wait for clear weather though. The paddle boat place is closed when it's rainy.

Edited by Touchstone

Hey Biggeeks,

I think the Hwy marker that jpp found is RM 1 in the description. I didn't even log it when I was up planting the cache, becuase I've found similar ones around Ft. Ord that aren't in the USGS database.

I think USGS just used the Hwy Dept marker out of conveniance. Anywhoo, when I read Conejossam's log, I thought maybe I'd take a look when I was up there yesterday. Sure enough, there's a giant hole where the BM should be and the Witness Marker sign had been torn out of the ground and the sign removed. A little more searching revealed a large scar in one of the rock outcrops nearby that fit the description of RM 2.

I posted a "destroyed" log on the BM page (GU3866). I was really bummed [:blink:]. It would've been nice for people to snag a BM while up trying Yale.

Thanks Touchstone! :D

I was starting to wonder why I was spending so much time on such a little, log-only cache. But I thought it came out well too.

We saw that little rotted stump, and just had to hide something there. Thanks for searching for it!

As soon as we get some time we're going to 'crack' YEGG! <_<

I'm going to try and keep a prize in Yegg for whoever can pick the lock. Marky snagged the FTP (First To Pick) prize on Saturday. He managed to do the lock in an amazing six minutes; way outdoing my best effort <_< . The STP prize won't be nearly as nice, but still unique in it's own way.

I've just gotten word that my CA Geocoins are in, so you may see a few of these treasures in local caches too.

One piece of advice on Yegg: Practice, Practice, Practice. If you have an old Masterlock laying around home (the tumbler style, not the rotating barrel style) you may want to sit down with some tools and give it a try before heading up the hill. It'll save you hours of frustration if you get some experience first. I found that the metal supports from an old pair of windshield wipers makes a pretty good lever bar. A paperclip makes a reasonable pick, but wears out quickly.

So say a Central Coast team wanted to be in a Monterey geocaching club on the peninsula. What would that aforementioned team have to do to get an invite? :(

Does anyone know? Maybe we'll find out at the Picnic :o

I'm not sure which *club* you're talking about Biggeeks :o Maybe it's the Central Coast Geocachers Pizza and Beer Club? :o

If you mean the Blogger spot that CBN set up, heck, I've got Admin privileges now. I'll send you an invite :o

One piece of advice on Yegg: Practice, Practice, Practice.  If you have an old Masterlock laying around home (the tumbler style, not the rotating barrel style) you may want to sit down with some tools and give it a try before heading up the hill.  It'll save you hours of frustration if you get some experience first.  I found that the metal supports from an old pair of windshield wipers makes a pretty good lever bar.  A paperclip makes a reasonable pick, but wears out quickly.

Paperclips aren't made of spring steel, so bend too easily. Your feeler gauge home made picks I think are made of spring steel. I don't recall the width of the one I used, but it was the only one that was bent at a 45 degree angle. I was able to apply enough pressure on the lock's pins with it, and it seemed to hold its shape well. The trick is to have a very soft touch on the tension wrench (lever). And definitely practice on a similar lock.

I've had good luck with bobby pins as home made picks. If you use pliers to straight one out, and then bend the tip down some, it will hold its shape better than a paperclip. And the large bobby pins can be made into a tension wrench as well.

Touchstone, thanks again for the cool FTP prize! :(

--Marky

Just to come full circle on this thread.... CBN suggested way back in November that we should have a climbing cache somewhere. Well, here ya go!

6256617a-2e4e-46c2-8597-f8e5c2235a04.jpg

It's still in the approval que (I understand they're way backlogged due to the server problems over the weekend), and I wouldn't recommend going out there until the water recedes anyway.

Good luck to anyone brave/foolish enough to try it. I left a pretty nice FTF prize too.

BTW, I lost my swagging tool out there somewhere. It may have dropped in the water, or it may be sitting next to the cache. I didn't have a way of clipping it onto my harness, so it just fell out of my pocket somewhere. If anyone nabs it, I'll give 'em a cool CA geocoin as a reward :ph34r:

Ya, I didn't like the graffiti either (kids these days). At least it was a birthday greeting and nothing obscene :)

As far as making it into a *climbing* experience: there is a small seam on the downriver side that would probably accept small RP's, knifeblades, or (gulp!) RURPs. It looked to me to be about A4. My technique was more akin to the First Ascent of Lost Arrow (not Salathe's historic ascent, but the one before that). The first choice would definitely take the Terrain rating off the GC.com scale :D

Edited by Touchstone

Touchstone,

That was a pretty darn quick FTF on "Hang'em high". Of course, you've got to be quick to beat the Plunketts!

And I'm pretty sure we live closer to that cache than you do. Put to shame. :o We'll go log a TTF tomorrow or maybe another FTF :D

Just luck of the draw Big. I checked before leaving work and BAM! There it was. I sent off a quick thank you to Lazy A for the fun cache, and he said it had only been approved at 3 pm this afternoon. I don't think that'll happen again in my lifetime :o jpp is just too fast for me :D

Let me know if you're still thinking of heading out to TMA-1. I'd like to get photos of the um....er.... festivities :D

Oh we're still going alright. Sometime this weekend, but it's all up to the big geek climber.

I planned on getting a picture at the top, but I'll take out my digi-cam and get pictures of the process as well. I'm sure it'll be a cake walk, besides what could go wrong... :o

Boy, you're telling me! JASW has 127 cache placements around CA. Talk about the Godfather of Central Coast Geocaching.

I don't know what percentage of my finds are JASW caches, but I know one thing for sure: A JASW cache is guaranteed to be a challenge and in a great spot.

This is a sad day for Central Coast Cachers :blink:

:P:ph34r:

I REALLY WANT TO THANK YOU ALL FOR MAKING ME FEEL WELCOME AND HONORED!

Thanks for the offers to Adopt Caches.. I have family and friends Geocachers that are active and have agreed to help me if needed.. Since I am "Retiring" I will be able to traval around more than before.. I still have grandkids in the area and can surly manage the caches that I have planted.. I am sure to stop in at a event once in awhile also.

If I feel I need to Adopt theese caches out I will ask the people who were my hiking buddies during those times..

I Hope to get to see you all on the trail soon.. It's been fun getting a area with very few caches when I first started to a area that MANY people come to so that they can geocahe..

Remember the name "Just a Short Walk" as that's all it is to go get a cache... Many Stright up :rolleyes: , but still a short walk.

Compass_Bearing_North:

Tried e-mailing you a number of times with no response.....

I have 100% American (picked it up from Touchstone a few weeks ago) and I was supposed to travel to NJ but that was cancelled.

I'm heading to Seattle next Mon/Tuesday and I will drop it off there to at least get it out of the area. I know it's not East but it's the best I can do for now. Sorry it's taken so long - but not sorry I don;t have to go to NJ!