Starting Point Co-ordinates

The Daniel Boone Gang

I would say 50% of the caches I have gone on would benefit from the addition of starting co-ordinates. In these cases, I have traditionally added these via my log, but subsequent cache hunters don't always find them in the postings.

I've have people email me asking what I've used for a starting point on some caches that I've done.

I would like to suggest adding a total of 3 fields for each cache listing (non manditory):

1) North co-ordinate (recommended starting point)

2) West co-ordinate (recommended starting point)

3) Altitude (cache location)

I am suggesting the Altitude field since that in itself can help a cache hunter decide which path to take, selecting a staring point, etc. Most newer GPS models can provide altitude information.

By creating an input field for this information, this can help prompt the cache creator to provide this information. Alternatively, if they consciously decide not to provide this information, that can be taken as an indication that the starting point should be obvious.

Comments??

:(

If (somehow) the parking coordinates would end up showing as an associated waypoint, then I would be all for it. (I dislike manually entering coordinates.)

But if all it is, is a field that would just be displayed, then just including it in the description is enough for me.

And the "altitude" thing would only be usefull if it were on a tall mountain....

Edited by DustyJacket

I wouldn't want to make the starting point / parking manditory - like you said, sometimes that's supposed to be part of the adventure, and that's fine.

I would however suggest a field for the input, because a lot of people don't think of it when they're creating the cache.

As for the altitude, let me sight a couple examples for you:

In our area (Hamilton), more than half the city is an an escarpment. Several caches are located on pathways down and around the escarpment. You don't know if you should be starting the trek from the bottom of the hill or the top. The wrong answer can cost you the whole afternoon.

Also, I've been on some trails where there are winding paths going in several directions - some low, some high. An altitude can certainly help suggest the right path.

Nobody creates a cache unless they want people to find it. This would help take some of the agrivation out of it.

In our area (Hamilton), more than half the city is an an escarpment. Several caches are located on pathways down and around the escarpment. You don't know if you should be starting the trek from the bottom of the hill or the top. The wrong answer can cost you the whole afternoon.

That's the whole point of geocaching: to figure out how to get there. I am unable to imagine why anyone would want to be given step-by-step instructions on reaching a cache.

I have always liked maps and so part of the fun that I get from geocachings is figuring out where the best place to start walking is, and how to get to that spot. Plus I tend to ride around the area to see if there are roads or trails not on the map that might be better. Since in the past I have been asked for parking spots, I tend to provide coords for a parking spot that will work. However most of the local people who have hunted my caches have discovered that while the parking spot given will work it isn't the best. That is my reward for people who like me get fun from looking over the map and checking out the area around the cache.

When I hunt a cache I check the map and the area even if a parking spot is given to see if I can find a better one. Just in case the hider either doesn't know the better spot, or like me didn't provide it.

So if there was a field I would use it like I do currently use the description and not put the best spot in it, just one that would work. :(

Edited by AllenLacy

Geocaching started out as "I hid something at these coords, see if you can find it." I prefer these style of caches, although I like to do most any cache. I think it's up to the cache owner to provide the information that they think the cache finders should have. I recently did an offroad cache that gave a few waypoints so that you could avoid some bad sections. I was very greatful for them. :( It is fairly easy to include parking coords or trailhead coords in the description or hints section. You could also just make a series of caches to show your fellow cachers where they are.

I disagree.

While the thrill of caching is certainly the hunt, I don't include driving around in circles wondering where you can park in an unfamiliar area as part of the fun. To me, that's just unnecessarily frustrating.

Most people put caches in areas that are familiar to them. It usually doesn't dawn on them that the place to park is something of a mystery to people who may be looking for the cache.

In our area (Hamilton), more than half the city is an an escarpment.  Several caches are located on pathways down and around the escarpment.  You don't know if you should be starting the trek from the bottom of the hill or the top.  The wrong answer can cost you the whole afternoon.

That's the whole point of geocaching: to figure out how to get there. I am unable to imagine why anyone would want to be given step-by-step instructions on reaching a cache.

Still I see very little point making the hunters drive around the cache site wasting gas and releasing exhaust gas. Make them walk, run, climb, dive, whatever, but narrow unnecessary driving down.

Parking place can be entered in cache page with Selector, see for example my The first castle of Häme cache page.

Now that's what I call fantastic information presentation!! What is "Selector" and how did you do that? ;)

Your method covers all the bases - I love it.

I've always posted starting co-ordinates for those who want them, but sometimes people don't see them. Your system covers off several important factors too - like can you get there in the winter, availability of washrooms (great for kids), etc.

I would love to adopt your method. :P

Edited by The Daniel Boone Gang

If the parking isn't obvious, I add it. I might indiate the trail head for the same reason. If the cacher looking doesn't want to use an unencryted or encrypted hint, they don't have too. That goes for altitude or anything else. Of course with altitude, if its a real climb you ought to show that with difficulty stars.

Alan

This game began without requiring parking coordinates. When I started playing, parking coordinates were not required. Thousands have played the game without parking coordinates being required.

Cache hiders who want to include parking coordinates can already do so in the cache description. Requiring parking coordinates to be provided will cause the game to be permanently changed from what we have been playing for these past years.

Each smiley face on a find log is for finding the cache without required parking coordinates. To change the game to now require parking coordinates will essentially lower the value of all of those previous smiley faces.

I would be in favor of a different smiley face, perhaps a different color or a smiley face in a car to indicate caches found with required parking coordinates. But to give the same value for finding a cache with required parking coordinates as a cache found without required parking coordinates would be unfair to all of those who have played the game as it was originally intended.

Edited by cachew nut

I think the major value of parking coordinates (In My Opinion) it to keep people off private property.

Since there are no lines drawn on the ground, it is really hard these days to see what is private property and what is not.

Parking coordinates, or some sort of starting point in areas surrounded by private property are a good thing.

(While annoting USGS topo maps in this area, I noticed streets where private residents were even allowed to add their own street signs and names using very official looking signs. No wonder I get confused.....)

I've been working through the idea of allowing GPX files to be uploaded for each cache page. This would allow parking coordinates or whatever additional waypoints are required (or requested) for a particular cache. Sorry, I have no dates when such a feature is available.

The way I look at it, adding one waypoint option will lead requests for two, and so on. So there needs to be a more permanent and thorough solution than just one waypoint.

I think the possibility to have extra downloadable coordinates is a good idea. Apart from parking coordinates (which should not be mandatory, IMO, just recommended) they can also be used for pointing to certain spots of a multicache where the hunter must visit, or some oddities nearby. It's not only once or twice when I have seen cache descriptions like There's a peculiar twisted pine tree nearby the cache in these coordinates: etc.

Not only should the parking coordinates to conserve fuel be listed but I think every cache should have a large orange arrow pointing to the exact cache location. There is nothing I hate more than having to spend an additional 10-15 minutes searching for a cache hidden under some rock or pile of sticks and leaves. I want to find it - log it and get on to the next one. Logging the total number of caches is the main goal right? Who cares about the so called "thrill of the hunt". ;)

Really now, I've gone to a location to track a cache and parked in what I thought to be a good parking spot only to walk through a grove of trees and find another parking area between where I parked and the cache. I must admit, I laughed outloud! My daughter asked what was so funny and I had to try and explain to her the irony. Oh, well, I looked at it as a good chance for a walk. Some people will walk a thousand yards to chase a little white ball around a golf course, walking a few extra yards finding a cache in the woods seems rather enjoyable to me.

DublinJeepers

Columbus, O

I like the idea of some sort of [WPT] tag that you can add around any set of co-ordinates that you put in your cache description. These are then converted into associated waypoints in the GPX pocket queries - they may be Parking co-ordinates, but they also may be steps in a multi. I know there are a number of 3rd party apps that can strip co-ordinates off a cache page to eliminate the need to hand enter these extra waypoints, but it would be so much better to get them in the GPX file.

Cheers

Nick

Not only should the parking coordinates to conserve fuel be listed but I think every cache should have a large orange arrow pointing to the exact cache location. There is nothing I hate more than having to spend an additional 10-15 minutes searching for a cache hidden under some rock or pile of sticks and leaves. I want to find it - log it and get on to the next one. Logging the total number of caches is the main goal right? Who cares about the so called "thrill of the hunt". ;)

Ooh, is that that so called irony, about which they talk so much about nowadays? :P

Seriously, with your Columbus, O gas prices I'm sure you'd be ready to drive the whole day around the cache spot, consuming your whole tank if necessary. The neighborhood would also surely be glad about the cruising. I, for one would still with my Tampere, Finland gas price ($4,725 for a US gallon today) like to know how to make it with minimum driving. Like I said, make me walk, crawl, jump and climb, but spare the nature and me for unnecessary driving. Oh, and keep those orange arrows, I don't need them. :)

Edited by Divine